Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

We are the 47%

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Hmm this means we can get Monkey Island the cartoon series? :getin:

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
So this means that Disney now owns Indiana Jones, too.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

After Prometheus, every studio should be given a "Shoot on Sight" order for Lindeloff.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I can't see how this can fail to be an improvement. Once you hit rock bottom, anything becomes possible.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
:stare: oh my god.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Bongo Bill posted:

I can't see how this can fail to be an improvement. Once you hit rock bottom, anything becomes possible.

gently caress yeah! I'm going all in and rebooting myself to 1998 levels of enthusiasm.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Aatrek posted:

Gene Roddenberry was a 'creative consultant' on the first six Star Trek films. Star Trek II, for example, was so good because Nick Meyer didn't listen to anything he said.

:pseudo: Roddenberry co-wrote and produced The Motion Picture. He was kicked upstairs as "creative consultant" after the first film.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Go with Lucas's original idea and have a new director direct each movie. I say this only because I need to see David Lynch's or Martin Scorsese's Star Wars before I die.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
God-drat I would kill for a new Tie Fighter game. I'm still playing Freespace 2 mods because there haven't been any great space combat games in the last decade.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Good money says there's a "no remakes/reboots" clause in the deal.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Good money says there's a "no remakes/reboots" clause in the deal.

As terrible as the prequels were I'd be glad if we could just move on from them and get into some new stories.

Renzian
Oct 25, 2003
REDTEXTING IS SERIOUS BUSINESS YOU GUYS.

SERIOUS.
BUSINESS.

Weinertron posted:

God-drat I would kill for a new Tie Fighter game. I'm still playing Freespace 2 mods because there haven't been any great space combat games in the last decade.

From what I recall of TIE Fighter, it was a fantastic game and I was struck by how they could just bring the 'bad guy' perspective to life in such a fun way, so hopefully we get a sequel, especially with the kind of game that technology is capable of producing these days. But, on that note, since you mention Freespace 2 mods, could you name a couple for me? I've been looking for some Star Wars ones and can't find any.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I can't see how this is anything but a positive, bigger bank, bigger media doors, bigger everything. Why the hell wouldn't it be good for a company like Disney to get Lucasfilm?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Finally, my dreams of a Labyrinth re-make are coming true.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this? posted:

As terrible as the prequels were I'd be glad if we could just move on from them and get into some new stories.

I agree. I can't wait to see who they bring on board to write and direct this new film.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Mace Windu: Director of S.H.I.E.L.D.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

Rhyno posted:

I agree. I can't wait to see who they bring on board to write and direct this new film.

I'm hoping for a John Woo version, perhaps with Nic Cage or John Travolta starring. Oh and also starring Ted McGinley.

Icesler
Jul 7, 2005
It's like my ex-girlfriend is dating my childhood best friend. This is very awkward and uncomfortable.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Renzian posted:

From what I recall of TIE Fighter, it was a fantastic game and I was struck by how they could just bring the 'bad guy' perspective to life in such a fun way, so hopefully we get a sequel, especially with the kind of game that technology is capable of producing these days. But, on that note, since you mention Freespace 2 mods, could you name a couple for me? I've been looking for some Star Wars ones and can't find any.

I haven't found any good Star Wars ones, I was pining more about the general lack of space sims anymore. I just mean playing Freespace 2 with the SCP graphical goodies. :(

dotalchemy
Jul 16, 2012

Before they breed, male Mallards have bright green/blue heads. After breeding season, they molt and become brown all over, to make it easier to hide in the brush while nesting.

~SMcD
From the perspective of an employee at Lucas, I'm pleased to see that not much changed internally at either Pixar or Marvel following their acquisition by Disney. If anything, this should bring more work and more opportunities for us internally.

On the plus side, silver passes for Disney parks.

On the downside, we've been told surprisingly little so far, having only found out about this at around 1pm PST today. Hopefully more information will be forthcoming from management, but none of us peons here really understand the scope or the scale of all this.

I'll update as I can.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Aatrek posted:

Mace Windu: Director of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Avengers 3 is a Star Wars crossover.

Fastest film to reach 1 billion in film history.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Icesler posted:

It's like my ex-girlfriend is dating my childhood best friend. This is very awkward and uncomfortable.

But you're also secretly wondering what the sex is like...

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Disney has handled the Marvel properties very well.

Christ, I cannot see how this could not be a good thing.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

dotalchemy posted:

From the perspective of an employee at Lucas, I'm pleased to see that not much changed internally at either Pixar or Marvel following their acquisition by Disney. If anything, this should bring more work and more opportunities for us internally.

On the plus side, silver passes for Disney parks.

On the downside, we've been told surprisingly little so far, having only found out about this at around 1pm PST today. Hopefully more information will be forthcoming from management, but none of us peons here really understand the scope or the scale of all this.

I'll update as I can.

According to Disney's press release,

quote:

[...]the present intent is for Lucasfilm employees to remain in their current locations.

If that's consistent with how they've done it at Pixar, Marvel, and all their other big acquisitions, then good.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

Video of a Lucas interview from Oct. 19th has been released, where Lucas talks about the future of Star Wars. He talks about the Disney acquisition in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyqlTi7lkhY

Lucas said "they're out in the cold and snow" twice about the potential future films production, after saying that they already have story treatments.

:siren: Hoth confirmed :siren:

Icesler
Jul 7, 2005

GigaPeon posted:

But you're also secretly wondering what the sex is like...

You understand my pain.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

OldTennisCourt posted:

Avengers 3 is a Star Wars crossover.

Fastest film to reach 1 billion in film history.

And in a close second the movie that has the theatrical trailer attached to it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Baron Bifford posted:

Disney has handled the Marvel properties very well.

Christ, I cannot see how this could not be a good thing.

Yea I can get the gnashing of teeth if this was the first time but we've seen Marvel get nothing but welcomed in and supported, I can't imagine somehow Lucaisfilms won't get the same treatment.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Glitterbomber posted:

Yea I can get the gnashing of teeth if this was the first time but we've seen Marvel get nothing but welcomed in and supported, I can't imagine somehow Lucaisfilms won't get the same treatment.

Hell I imagine they'd get BETTER treatment. If Disney actually produces the first decent Star Wars film in decades then they become the saviors of Star Wars and gain legions of new fans to follow their every whim.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

MichiganCubbie posted:

Did they also get Lucasarts?

Battlefront 3? A new Tie Fighter? Indiana Jones adventure games?

No no no no no no you got this all wrong.

Herc's Adventures 2!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hut5wzdYNbw

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

People saying "They can't get any worse than the prequels anyway" lack imagination.

NEVER underestimate Lucas' predilection to making GBS threads where he sleeps.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
poo poo just got real.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

OldTennisCourt posted:

Hell I imagine they'd get BETTER treatment. If Disney actually produces the first decent Star Wars film in decades then they become the saviors of Star Wars and gain legions of new fans to follow their every whim.

Yea I imagine to an exec type Star Wars has more potential to bring in waves of fans than Marvel, they're gonna get the red carpet rolled out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm not gonna lie, seeing the 501sters flip out on Facebook over this is loving hilarious.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Heard this news earlier and wanted to loving die right on the spot, but this

Blitz7x posted:

Lucas is only going to be a "creative consultant"? YESSSSS

is pretty good news, I think. I hope :ohdear:

Hopefully they get someone up to the task to direct. Another well-directed Star Wars movie is something we haven't seen in like 30 years, and it could potentially be really cool. I mean, the prequel trilogy could have been cool. I could see that all over the place during those movies. The problem was that it was just directed into the loving ground and it just ended up being a giant poo poo stain on one of the greatest franchises of all time instead of a worthy successor.

CrushedWill posted:

That is only slightly better than Disney getting a hold of it. I think it is still a net plus, and there will be additional movies, but for fucks stake, why did it have to be Disney?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKOwptKaiQM

That clip was literally the very first thing that popped into my head when I first heard the news :v:

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Wazzit posted:

poo poo just got real.

Grim Fandango: A Pixar Production

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
As a former Lucasfilm employee I was shocked at first but not surprised when news hit our studio about this.

It'll be the good fit and probably the best fit you can get out of all the studios/distributors out there.. Lucas and Disney always had a good working relationship in the past...

It'll be interesting to see how Disney treats the new films...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wazzit posted:

poo poo just got real.

Considering Pixar has a Day of the Dead movie already in planning mode, they're not gonna touch Grim Fandango.

• Locked thread