Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Heard this news earlier and wanted to loving die right on the spot, but this

is pretty good news, I think. I hope :ohdear:

In the earlier linked interview, he said that there were story treatments that have been finished for some time that they're going off of, so his influence will still be felt significantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

feedmyleg posted:

In the earlier linked interview, he said that there were story treatments that have been finished for some time that they're going off of, so his influence will still be felt significantly.

Well as long as everything isn't CGI'ed to hell and the dialogue is improved over the prequel trilogy, I'll probably like it at least somewhat.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Yoshifan823 posted:

Considering Pixar has a Day of the Dead movie already in planning mode, they're not gonna touch Grim Fandango.

They could always change the concept into Grim Fandango. It's happened in the past with Pixar so I don't see how that couldn't happen now.

One can hope... :ohdear:

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
Hopefully they throw both trilogies and the expanded universe in the garbage and set this trilogy far enough in the future/past that none of it matters. It's not like Disney has any issues with reboots.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 30, 2012

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Yoshifan823 posted:

Considering Pixar has a Day of the Dead movie already in planning mode, they're not gonna touch Grim Fandango.

It's not like they don't have connections anyways:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0867707/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1154527/

Not to mention Steve Purcell also works at Pixar (see Sam & Max)

Pixar doesn't need to do the Grim Fandango universe; I'm sure they can come up with something good on their own.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Wow, this was not the news I was expecting to read today.

I'm thinking, as far as it goes, assuming Disney doesn't start making alterations everywhere, this is probably one of the best fits that could be made.

Does Lucas own any rights, or did those go wholesale? As in, does he have any tangible power, or is he just a figurehead mounted there to placate the 'hardcore' Star Wars fans?

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Godspeed to Disney in their gradual takeover of all American pop culture.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Sky Shadowing posted:

Does Lucas own any rights, or did those go wholesale? As in, does he have any tangible power, or is he just a figurehead mounted there to placate the 'hardcore' Star Wars fans?

Figurehead. You don't drop $4 billion on anything less than complete control.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I wonder if this means Dark Horse will lose the Star Wars comics license?

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Haha this is hilarious news! I can't wait to live out the rest of my life constantly inundated with pathetic Starwar flotsam.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rincewind posted:

I wonder if this means Dark Horse will lose the Star Wars comics license?

Not for a little while, they just extended their contract for two or three years recently after IDW tried to snag it. But after that it's a given that it will go to Marvel even if they don't do anything but reprint the old stuff.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I wonder how long it will take for them to make a fully Star Wars themed amusement park.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Well this was certainly strange news to come home to. An old Luke passing his lightsaber on to Zac Efron.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Does the deal include Skywalker Ranch? Because there are various Lucasfilm businesses based there, as well as Lucas's own house. Maybe he'll have to start paying rent to Disney.

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

I don't see how the new movies will be any good. There's just too much baggage in the Star Wars universe. I see a lot of people clamoring for a Thrawn movie, and I think that's exactly the problem. The Thrawn trilogy was an ok little side trip, but it just wasn't Star Wars, nor is any of the rest of the EU. I don't even think a reboot would work. Like Star Trek, it would have to modernize (and Flanderize) all the characters and make them into caricatures of themselves to give the audience familiarity of 40 years worth of pop culture saturation.

There's just no way the new movies will be able to recapture the fun, simple adventures of the originals.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I don't even understand what an Episode VII would entail. It's not like the Sith are around anymore. Unless this is addressed in EU. I read one of those books in like 5th grade and it was okay I guess.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

taco_fox posted:

I don't see how the new movies will be any good. There's just too much baggage in the Star Wars universe. I see a lot of people clamoring for a Thrawn movie, and I think that's exactly the problem. The Thrawn trilogy was an ok little side trip, but it just wasn't Star Wars, nor is any of the rest of the EU. I don't even think a reboot would work. Like Star Trek, it would have to modernize (and Flanderize) all the characters and make them into caricatures of themselves to give the audience familiarity of 40 years worth of pop culture saturation.

There's just no way the new movies will be able to recapture the fun, simple adventures of the originals.

With the way Lucas handled the focus of the prequels, it seems pretty obvious that in his mind Star Wars is the story of the Skywalkers. So Han and Leia's kids seems like a pretty logical direction for them to take this in. And his hardon for the politics in the prequels also probably means that the rebuilding of the Republic will feature heavily.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Hopefully disney punch Lucas in the balls any time he tries to get involved in anything storyline related.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

From what I remember, there is random sith here and there for plot reasons, Jedi are nearly still wiped out but Luke opens a new school for people finding out they are attuned to the force still.

I've really own read the Thrawn Trilogy and the other two by Zahn, some books by Kevin Anderson but nothing else.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

taco_fox posted:

This is why they should throw continuity and the extended universe nonsense to the winds and just make a cool pulp space movie.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I don't even understand what an Episode VII would entail. It's not like the Sith are around anymore. Unless this is addressed in EU. I read one of those books in like 5th grade and it was okay I guess.

I would loving surprised if these new movies gave any more than 1% of a poo poo about the EU.

They are going to be made to appeal to as many as people as possible. Pacifying EU fans is low priority.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

But who says some aspects of the EU aren't terrible for the public? I mean... a lot of it is but the Thrawn trilogy in the right hands would be good.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If they use the cream of the EU as inspiration that would be fine.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Maybe, but I'd rather they do something new and fresh.

e: I mean, as new and fresh as you can get with a 7th film in a series.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 30, 2012

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I've never read any EU stuff, what is the best of it? I'm honestly curious because I've heard nothing but bad things.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

OldTennisCourt posted:

I've never read any EU stuff, what is the best of it? I'm honestly curious because I've heard nothing but bad things.

Thrawn Trilogy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrawn_trilogy

Hand of Thrawn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hand_of_Thrawn

Those are my personal favorites and the writing feels the closest to the OT. Best ive read.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Because the world needed the company responsible for John Carter to make more sci-fi fantasy adventures.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vintersorg posted:

But who says some aspects of the EU aren't terrible for the public? I mean... a lot of it is but the Thrawn trilogy in the right hands would be good.

Isn't Luke in those? I bet the deal doesn't allow recasting either.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

The Thrawn books had clones, right? Pretty sure steering away from any clones would be the smart choice.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Vintersorg posted:

I've only read Heir to the Empire, it was a solid book, but it still had a certain "Here we go again" element to it. And the casting will be an issue- the deal probably allows for whatever, but there'd definitely be some backlash to recasting the parts.

Granted, at a minimum, this still means three more movies about spaceships firing lasers at each other, which can usually be counted on for good times, but on the other hand it was kinda neat that Star Wars was a creator-owned franchise. I doubt we'll see anyone pull off that kind of thing again.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
This is fantastic news. Can't wait to find out who's directing, writing, starring. I'm legitimately excited about Star Wars again. It's like 1997 again :corsair:

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Because the world needed the company responsible for John Carter to make more sci-fi fantasy adventures.

John Carter was a decent movie with one of the worst marketing campaigns ever. It didn't deserve what happened to it.

VVVV Boba Fett died in the Sarlaac, after being knocked into it by a blind man. VVVV

MichiganCubbie fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 31, 2012

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
This might just be the insufferable 12 year old nerd in me, but BRING BACK BOBA FETT

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, I thoroughly enjoyed John Carter and upset that it won't be explored on the big screen anymore. More reason to go back and read it though.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MichiganCubbie posted:

John Carter was a decent movie with one of the worst marketing campaigns ever. It didn't deserve what happened to it.

I will withdraw my complaint if they approve a Boba Fett movie where he just fucks poo poo up for two hours.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

sportsgenius86 posted:

I will withdraw my complaint if they approve a Boba Fett movie where he just fucks poo poo up for two hours.

Just remake Scarface in the Star Wars universe with Boba Fett as Tony Montana

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Finally, the people who experienced the original films in theaters can share the experience of Star Wars with their... grandchildren.

My mom is probably really excited about this. Growing up on Jar Jar I'm a bit less enthusiastic. No Lucas is probably good though- If nothing else, we're going to get to see Star Wars in the hands of some other directors and writers but not have it be novels nobody cares about from 20 years ago or animated shorts nobody wants to watch with me(oh tartakovsky im so sorry people will not give you a chance).

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rhyno posted:

I'm not gonna lie, seeing the 501sters flip out on Facebook over this is loving hilarious.

Shouldn't they be happy because it means more armor to sell?

dotalchemy
Jul 16, 2012

Before they breed, male Mallards have bright green/blue heads. After breeding season, they molt and become brown all over, to make it easier to hide in the brush while nesting.

~SMcD

Payndz posted:

Does the deal include Skywalker Ranch? Because there are various Lucasfilm businesses based there, as well as Lucas's own house. Maybe he'll have to start paying rent to Disney.

This isn't accurate - George doesn't live at Skywalker Ranch. He lives elsewhere - his office is at the Main House in Skywalker Ranch, but that's not where he lives.

Currently, Skywalker Sound, Skywalker Properties, JAK Films, GLEF staff and some LFL staff are at Skywalker Ranch. Disney acquired everyone apart from Skywalker Properties, so technically Disney are now paying rent to George for Lucasfilm and it's subsidiaries being based on Skywalker Properties / LDA Property Management land.

So far, we've not been made aware of any plans to relocate or move staff - looking at how Pixar are still in the same place they were prior to the acquisition, I don't think there's a chance we'll be moving. Not to mention we have the lease on the Presidio campus until 2021 and we've just built a new campus in Singapore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Oh, the Sith are still around in there. And that's really part of the problem: no matter what, the writers keep cycling back to the same characters and the same handful of story ideas.

• Locked thread