Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
My jaw dropped when I saw this news. I figured Lucas would have to die before it was passed on to other directors.

If it's being released in 2015, they must already have a story or a director in mind or something. Not exactly a quick project to put together a blockbuster of this magnitude.

Disney already has Avengers II penciled in for May of 2015. So I guess July 2015 or December 2015 is the plan.

I do know one director who has a penchant for July blockbusters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Glitterbomber posted:

Shouldn't they be happy because it means more armor to sell?

There are fears that Disney will start applying their extremely restrictive policy on derivative works, replacing Lucasfilm's extremely permissive policy.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Glitterbomber posted:

Shouldn't they be happy because it means more armor to sell?

IIRC The 501st aren't actually sanctioned officially and they pretty much only ever existed because Lucasfilm chose to look the other way so long as they didn't actually sell any of their armor or replica stuff.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Michael Bay's Star Wars.

Do it, Disney. Make it happen.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The EU, for better and (mostly) a lot worse, is predictable as a casualty of this deal and greenlight, if it is touched at all. The original cast members are in their sixties and a recasting would essentially be as impossible as it is stupid.

We're far more likely to get a new set of characters entirely, which would generally be for the best. Well, the best would be for the book to be closed on Star Wars, but whatever.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The EU, for better and (mostly) a lot worse, is predictable as a casualty of this deal and greenlight, if it is touched at all. The original cast members are in their sixties and a recasting would essentially be as impossible as it is stupid.

We're far more likely to get a new set of characters entirely, which would generally be for the best. Well, the best would be for the book to be closed on Star Wars, but whatever.

Set it as long from the end of 6 as actual time has passed, have 1-2 character reprise their role in a cameo and "X time has passed SEE???" and go fresh on everything else.

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

bobservo posted:

Godspeed to Disney in their gradual takeover of all American pop culture.

When Disney and Warner finally merge in 2057 we'll finally see the ultimate showdown: Bugs vs. Mickey

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Now I totally can't wait to see if that SuperShadow guy I totally believed when I was 14 years old was right about Episodes 7-9. :ohdear:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mr. stefan posted:

IIRC The 501st aren't actually sanctioned officially and they pretty much only ever existed because Lucasfilm chose to look the other way so long as they didn't actually sell any of their armor or replica stuff.

Exactly. And Disney is super protective of their IP. The 501st is hosed.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
This is madness :psyduck:

I'm optimistic though. Star Wars is best when people not named George Lucas are behind the camera and, ideally, chopping the script up into something sensible.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Wait ............doesn't this mean that Disney now own Sam & Max

Something good must come of that!

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Arkane posted:

My jaw dropped when I saw this news. I figured Lucas would have to die before it was passed on to other directors.

If it's being released in 2015, they must already have a story or a director in mind or something. Not exactly a quick project to put together a blockbuster of this magnitude.

Disney already has Avengers II penciled in for May of 2015. So I guess July 2015 or December 2015 is the plan.

I do know one director who has a penchant for July blockbusters.

That's what really shocked me: I figured Lucas was going to hang onto Star Wars until he reached his deathbed. That, plus this news coming the gently caress out of nowhere has made it probably the biggest news to hit Hollywood in some time.

Everyone is talking Star Wars but the purchase of Lucasfilm means ILM and Indiana Jones are under Disney control which is going to be interesting to watch to say the least.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Gaz2k21 posted:

Wait ............doesn't this mean that Disney now own Sam & Max

Something good must come of that!

Disney owns Sam & Max. Steve Purcell works for Pixar. We'll be getting the announcement of a Pixar Sam & Max movie any day now. They're a perfect match, right? Right?

:smith:

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Maybe he did the accounting and determined that 2 and a half billion in cash money plus 40 million shares of Disney Stock would be worth more than his personal ownership of the company. If that's the case then he wouldn't even think twice about that call. He's got no personal attachment to his legacy.

That or maybe he's got some terminal illness and he's cashing out.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

feedmyleg posted:

Disney owns Sam & Max. Steve Purcell works for Pixar. We'll be getting the announcement of a Pixar Sam & Max movie any day now. They're a perfect match, right? Right?

Actually, Purcell owns Sam and Max since he invented them and everything- they were comics he did before they were videogames. That's why Telltale was able to do the new Sam and Max games.

This possibility has already existed for a while. Now, Pixar's Monkey Island, on the other hand...

Murder McMurderson
Aug 6, 2005

So... We meet again, Doctor Jones.

:golfclap:

What if they make a THX-1138: Legacy? :stare:

This announcement really blindsided me, and now I'm left with many mixed feelings. Lucas built his empire by securing all his intellectual properties away from the big studios, and now it's out of his hands. :( Say what you will about Lucas, but the only way he succeeded was through perseverance.

I suspected I would see another Star Wars movie in my lifetime, but I never expected it this soon. I just really hope they don't start messing around with Indiana Jones.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Murder McMurderson posted:

I suspected I would see another Star Wars movie in my lifetime, but I never expected it this soon. I just really hope they don't start messing around with Indiana Jones.

I honestly wouldn't mind Indiana Jones 5 if Lucas is in the same creative consultant position away from directing and scripting (though Spielberg has to direct and if not someone he hand-picks).

skirth
Oct 29, 2010
Does anyone really want more Star Wars movies? If so, why?

Murder McMurderson
Aug 6, 2005

So... We meet again, Doctor Jones.

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

I honestly wouldn't mind Indiana Jones 5 if Lucas is in the same creative consultant position away from directing and scripting (though Spielberg has to direct and if not someone he hand-picks).

I would be fine with that also, as long as it had Harrison Ford and was not a reboot or spin-off. I have no interest in seeing an Indiana Jones movie without Harrison Ford.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Aatrek posted:

Actually, this means we could get a SW movie by BRAD BIRD.

Okay, Lucas and the Disney guy, I'm on board, where on the dotted line do I sign?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

skirth posted:

I want someone to rewrite the prequels and erase the existing ones from existence.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

sportsgenius86 posted:

I will withdraw my complaint if they approve a Boba Fett movie where he just fucks poo poo up for two hours.
And he has to act like Robot Chicken Boba Fett, this is the only right reason :colbert:

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing Black Sorcery

skirth posted:

Because we want something to supplant the prequels. This isn't shocking news. People always wanted more movies, now they want something to wash away the bad taste in their mouths from the bad ones.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Strange Matter posted:

That or maybe he's got some terminal illness and he's cashing out.

maybe his neck goiter has developed sentience and has taken over their body.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh God. Oh my God.

The next Kingdom Hearts...

:negative:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

skirth posted:

I like Star Wars, I even liked parts of the prequels, if we're doing the stuff after the original trilogy there's some fun ground to cover there. Star Wars, as a big concept, has a little of everything, so I like the idea of a big, multifaceted, company like Disney having the controls because it means we can get a lot of neat things from it, including more movies.

Judge Ito Boxing
Oct 29, 2011

There's a lot of value in the public being able to see how the system works.

Timby posted:

:pseudo: Roddenberry co-wrote and produced The Motion Picture. He was kicked upstairs as "creative consultant" after the first film.

The joke's on us, because it's a pretty good movie on its own. Watch it some time and imagine there's no other part of the franchise to connect it with; like it's Forbidden Planet or Disney's The Black Hole.

Also, you guys give Lindelof way too much poo poo, but yeah, keep him away from Star Wars.

skirth
Oct 29, 2010

Xombie posted:

Because we want something to supplant the prequels. This isn't shocking news. People always wanted more movies, now they want something to wash away the bad taste in their mouths from the bad ones.

Honestly I had no idea. I thought the sentiment after the prequels was 'let's draw a line under this.'

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

While they did get the rights to Indiana Jones too, I'm pretty sure they said they aren't planning on doing anything with it anytime soon because it's too tied up in an existing deal Lucas and Spielberg had with Paramount.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Diabolik900 posted:

While they did get the rights to Indiana Jones too, I'm pretty sure they said they aren't planning on doing anything with it anytime soon because it's too tied up in an existing deal Lucas and Spielberg had with Paramount.

Yea I'd love Indiana Jones to get some love but that's a whole separate ball of twine so we still have a good few years before Indy's in play.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

skirth posted:

Me, I like movies where spaceships fly around and shoot each other. It's possible to do that badly, but hey, that's a risk you take with every film.

I doubt Eps. 7-9 will be that spectacular since years of EU novels (ranging from "Still fighting what's left of the Empire" to "freaky Gigeresque force-immune alien religious fanatics destroy everything") have proven it's hard to actually come up with a proper continuation to the story, but hey, might be fun times.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

skirth posted:

Does anyone really want more Star Wars movies?
Yes

If so, why?
Because it's Star Wars

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'm at Disneyworld in Orlando right now. Holy poo poo! I want Indiana Jones adventures!

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

My feeling is that we've already gotten a lot of bad Star Wars so the worst case scenario is more of the same, but this is the best chance we have of getting more good Star Wars movies so I'm kind of excited again.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Big Bob Pataki posted:

Give me Tony Stark digging for nazi gold

in space

gently caress yeah. Merge it all, man. Micky comes to perform at Tony Stark's swank party, Tony sneaks around with his Magic Hat and is transported to the future where he has to help Chewie stop the Empire from finding an ancient Nazi superweapon.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I was just reminded that Disney also owns the Muppets.

Muppet remakes of all the Star Wars movies. ALL OF THEM.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I want more Star Wars because there aren't enough big budget movies about space ships and aliens anymore.

Also my dream of replacing episode 1 with a Star Wars remake of Seven Samurai.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I don't even understand what an Episode VII would entail. It's not like the Sith are around anymore. Unless this is addressed in EU. I read one of those books in like 5th grade and it was okay I guess.

When I was a kid, my dad told me about an article he had read in Starlog or something about how Lucas envisioned the saga. He wanted I, II, and III to be about the clone wars and Anakin's fall, eventually with Obi-Wan and Anakin fighting over a volcano and Anakin falling it.

For the episodes after the original trilogy, there was to be an episode VII like 15 years after RotJ. He said that Luke was turning to the Dark Side and Leia was a hermit jedi hiding from him. She must find an apprentice and attempt to bring Luke back before he completely slips to the dark side. This was to be the main story of the next three movies. Bringing Luke back while the Republic thinks that he's the main good Jedi in the galaxy and Leia is this weird renegade Jedi trying to take power for herself.

I have no idea if he was making it up, but a lot of that ended up in the prequels, and I know Lucas used to talk of nine movies. That stopped some time after Jedi, and he started denying everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing Black Sorcery

skirth posted:

Honestly I had no idea. I thought the sentiment after the prequels was 'let's draw a line under this.'

With Lucas in charge, yes. But no one thought he'd ever step down and we'd have to wait until his corpse got cold.

• Locked thread