Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

BlindSite posted:

I'm cautiously optimistic here.

I think that going episodes 7,8,9 in the same lineage we've seen is a bad idea from a creative standpoint, but probably a good one from the business, money making one.

I think the only way they'd be able to do it is to simply not have the former cast members in any way shape or form, other than the ones who don't require an actor so to speak, like 3PO, R2-D2 and Chewbacca.

I haven't read the thrawn trilogy so I don't know how it would go on film.

I like the potential down the road though for stories within the universe but outside the lineage, especially taking place before the prequels. There's a lot of diverse elements that could be done and done pretty well by certain directors.

Where they've taken the new spider man movie with Garfield and co and the iron man franchise has been pretty good, but they could gently caress it up pretty easily too.

I don't expect Disney to feel any obligation to adhere to EU continuity, nor should they, but there's no reason they can't cherry pick aspects of the EU that are actually good (Thrawn, and that's pretty much it) and work them into the new movies. You could make a movie that takes place shortly after Jedi, but shifts the focus to a new group of characters. Realistically, Leia, Luke, Han, et. al. are all going to be more involved in governing and not seeing a whole lot of action anymore, so it's really not that big of a deal to push them aside. Their story is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

joepinetree posted:

I honestly don't know how anyone can be optimistic about this. Disney has all the negatives of Lucas, but to the extreme. Silly or cute aliens to push merchandising? Doing away with any sort of "Han shot first" moments? Even more emphasis on effects over story? I can't see any of these things getting better at disney.

Star Wars is a property that sells itself. Obviously Disney will continue to merchandise the poo poo out of it, but Disney is also run by people smart enough to know that the best way to continue selling poo poo is to make movies that are actually entertaining and well received. They've given Pixar a remarkable amount of creative freedom up until this point, I don't think there's any reason to think they won't give whoever they put in charge of Star Wars a similar amount of leeway, providing what they make is successful. Like them or not, the Pirates of the Caribbean movies are grimy, violent films. Not everything Disney puts out is Mary Poppins.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm gonna be surprised (and disappointed) if the new movies have anything more to do with the OT than "space movie with laser swords".

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Strange Matter posted:

I would be fine with that. The basic premise of "psychic space samurai with laser swords" is very compelling, and because Star Wars is so ubiquitous there isn't really anything else like that out there. I'm more attached to that simple, sublime idea than any of the ponderous lore surrounding the franchise.

I maintain that the best way to have done Episode 1 would be for Lucas to have done with he did with A New Hope, cribbed from Kurosawa, and made The Seven Jedi or something like that.

There's no reason that couldn't still be done at some point down the road. Although I think the animated series already did an episode like that. They also did a Fort Apache type episode. I was pretty impressed.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

CrushedWill posted:

The one thing Disney might be able to bring to the table is semi-interesting dialog and an effort for more dynamic acting. Episodes IV, V , and VI had characters that at least appeared dynamic even if the stories were occasionally dubious. Episodes I, II, and III were snore fests for me because the focus shifted from the characters to the action. Lucas was determined to show people via action the story vs. letting the characters drive it.

If Disney brings in a decent team to work on this, these new movies might actually be watchable and (remember this word?) fun. If they continue with the flat acting, they will suck.

This idea of Disney as a monolithic film making entity is kind of strange, like there's one set of Disney Writers(TM) and one Disney Director(TM) who are responsible for everything from Lion King direct to video sequels to John Carter to Pirates of the Carribean.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Holy poo poo. Entertainment Weekly is reporting that Harrison Ford is open to the idea of return as Han Solo.
[URL] http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/11/05/star-wars-sequel-harrison-ford-han-solo-exclusive/[/URL]

I think the more pressing question is whether he's open to doing a sequel to The Conversation.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I hope there won't be a Darth anything in the new movies. If the Sith aren't gone for good after appearing in ever incarnation of Star Wars that takes place before the OT, it really cuts down on the significance of Darth Vader's decision in ROTJ.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Here are things that I'd really like to see in future Star Wars movies:

1) Is set in space, or on other planets
2) Is a good movie

That's pretty much it. I don't see how you can look at the idea of a Han Solo origin story, or a Boba Fett origin story, or whatever, and say it's a bad idea without having an information about who's writing, starring, or directing. Would I be excited about a Han Solo movie directed by John Turtletaub and starring Jay Baruchel? No probably not. Martin Scorsese's Flying Solo? Hell yeah. At this point we have no idea. The point is, the premise is a whole lot less important than the execution.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Longbaugh01 posted:

This very thread has reasonable arguments for why this situation may be different in terms of the level of Disney's involvement. So if you want to quote those posts and argue against them, do so, but unrealistic concern it is not.

The important thing to remember is that Disney has a vested interest in putting out a movie that is at least watchable, if not especially compelling, and that has widespread appeal. I can pretty much guarantee you that Disney is going to make nothing but the safest decisions regarding the franchise coming out of the gate here. So if we're talking about them casting Salena Gomez and the Jonas brothers in Star Wars, it's not going to happen. They're not going to put relative unknowns in such a potential cash cow, they're going to stick with known quantities.

If they haven't taken that risk with properties like Pirates/The Lone Ranger/National Treasure they're not going to do it with a franchise that's worth more than all of them combined.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think the prospect of the standalones is significantly more intriguing than that of the Abrams-directed "main feature", which I expect to be competent but ultimately pretty safe. I can't think of a better use of the Star Wars universe than to use it as a playground for different directors. Ultimately, they may end up being a pile of poo poo, but the idea that they could get somebody like Aranovsky or Del Toro or Rian Johnson and say, "here, make a Star Wars movie, do what you want, cannon doesn't matter" is pretty exciting. The odds of it playing out that way are admittedly low, but let's not declare it a disaster just yet.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Forum Actuary posted:

As soon as the news of sequels broke, he tweeted that he wanted to make an appearance in them. Samuel L Jackson also said he wants to come back if they'll have him. They are both still big fans when it comes down to it.

I'm totally down for insane clone Maace Windu.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

If those are your sole criteria, just watch StarCrash, Battle Beyond The Stars, or even Blackstar Warrior - which are much truer to the spirit of Star Wars than roughly 90% of the films in the franchise, and 100% of the expanded universe. Blackstar Warrior is canon.

How do you feel about Message from Space?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Gyges posted:

Is there any reason for anyone to live on Tatooine? The place has no redeeming values and everyone on the planet is apparently a gigantic poo poo. Star Wars has thousands and thousands of inhabitable worlds, why is anyone hanging out on the giant dessert with no notable resources?

Because they're in exile, and the desert is associated with exile. It's not a literal place, it's something in a movie that conveys an idea. Hope this helps.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Wubbles posted:

A New Hope's and Revenge of the Sith's narratives have always struck me as weakly paced. Am I wrong to think this?

I agree that ROTS is all over the place. Star Wars has been long thought of as an exemplary example of pacing, and I don't really have any reason to disagree. It has a flashy start and then takes its time introducing the characters, but I would never say it drags during that stretch.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Pretend I emptyquoted every word of this.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

If we could make it one whole movie with no dark Jedi making an appearance, that would be pretty cool.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

PrBacterio posted:

The best possible outcome would be if he bases the new movies on accepting *only* the original trilogy as canon, and nothing else, and going from there. But unfortunately, that's not going to happen.

What do you see happening? Because I'll be shocked if they do anything beyond cherrypicking a few stray elements from the EU and ignoring the rest. The prequels will be chronologically distant enough as to not really matter.

Edit: Although we may still be stuck with some prequel concepts like the Jedi counsel and the "rule of two" that we'd probably be better off without.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Apr 5, 2013

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

jivjov posted:

The rule of two was in place in the original trilogy, just not explicitly named as such. There was Vader and his master, the Emperor.

Well, there were two Sith in the original trilogy, but the rule of two is another thing you can file under the EU/prequels trend of taking every element from the original trilogy and writing it as law, retroactively removing any sense of spontaneity. There's no logical reason that there can't be four Sith, or better yet zero.

Edit: Anyway, as long as the new trilogy takes place 30 odd years after the events of RotJ, which I assume is the case if they've case Hamill, Ford, et. al., then they shouldn't have to nullify much of the EU anyway. The Yuzahn Vong have come and gone, Thrawn is dead, Mara Jade is dead, most of the Solo kids are dead, most of the OT principles are still alive. The EU has been so timid in doing anything to shake the boat, there really shouldn't be much conflict wherever they decide to take franchise going forward.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 5, 2013

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

computer parts posted:

Even if you treat canon as something important, does "Jedi Rock" really impact that at all?

Can I retcon it out of my memory?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

sassassin posted:

It always makes me laugh when I see people say they want stories about people living everyday lives in the Star Wars galaxy: smugglers, miners, no Jedi etc.

I think Jedi are a pretty integral part of the universe, but if there's anything we learned from the prequels, it's that Jedi for the most part are loving boring people. I think it might be refreshing to try having a protagonist who's not even force sensitive, and move the Jedi to the periphery. See things through somebody else's eyes for a change.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

That was probably the best performance in any Star Wars film.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Could we get Mads Mikkelsen as a Star Wars villain?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I don't think I buy into the "intentionally bad" theory on the prequels per se, but it does seem almost seem like Lucas felt people had lost sight of the pastiche elements of the original trilogy and consequently turned them up to eleven in the PT.

Lucas may not be the finest writer/director out there, but there's no way he could create something like this-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SqTR0DorSw

or this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1FFVWEQnSM

-with no self-awareness whatsoever.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Lando and Palpatine are the only people in the Star Wars universe who seem to get any joy out of life.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

penismightier posted:

The originals are peppered with moments of small joy - from Han teasing Luke about "a girl like her and a guy like me" to Biggs and Luke hugging in the hanger. That stuff was all sapped off in the prequels which is a large part of why they feel so mausoleumic.

It makes you wonder what changed. Lucas wrote the screenplay for the original Star Wars, which is about as carefree and snappy as the series ever was. Compare that the the bone dry prequels, which he also wrote, and it makes you wonder if age just changed him or if he was aiming for something else.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think the prequels portray Yoda as well-intentioned and brave, but I think it also not-so-subtly portrays him as the outmatched and and dogmatic head of an organization that's crumbling from the inside. Kind of the Star Wars equivalent of the Pope if you will. I think one of the few accomplishments of the PT is that it sets up Yoda's role in the OT as a redemptive arc of sorts, where after everything has been stripped away, he trains a replacement who will not repeat his mistakes.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

aBagorn posted:

Obi Wan's conversation with Yoda on Kamino implies that Syfo Dyas was a real Jedi Council member that either was working with Palpatine or was killed by Palpatine, who then assumed his identity to make the army

In any event it's strange that that plot point was established as something of a mystery in episode 2, and then went completely unexplained and uncommented on in episode 3. Why is it worth mentioning that a Jedi we had never heard of before and never heard of again purchased the clone army?

I feel like Qui Gon was originally come into play in episode 3 as having had something to do with it, but then because of scheduling conflicts or whatever reason it never happened.

A more fun assumption to make is that the Sypho-Dyas who was on the Jedi Council was actually just Palpatine wearing a fake mustache, keeping tabs on the council and spreading dissent.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Wank posted:

Hmm, now that I think about it more (with what aBagorn said) I kind of remember thinking Syfo-Dias is a small attempt to give Palpatine some backstory. My expectation was exactly above (and it mirrors what Obi-Wan tells Luke about Darth Vader) that Sideous IS Syfo-Dias not that he literally murdered Syfo-Dias and stole his identity. How that is supposed to actually play out, i.e. fake moustache, I don't know and it doesn't really matter.

It is funny, Lucas has some really neat ideas in the Prequels but the EU always seems to take them the completely wrong way (and Star Wars nerds, I suppose).

For example, I believe the Jedi Council are literally supposed to be "bad" (or at least not the "good guys" in the way you would expect) in the prequels, that is completely implied and I don't care what even Lucas says about that.

Palpatine probably just showed up at the council one day in disguise going, "Oh hey guys I'm a Jedi too, mind if I sit in on your meeting today?" And they were just like, "sure whatever, cool" and never really bothered to check out his credentials.

The Jedi Council in the prequels isn't evil, it's just lovely and stupid. It's not even subtle, we have a scene where Windu comes to Yoda and asks if they should tell the senate that they don't know what they're doing anymore, and Yoda's like "Nah, better not."

General Dog fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 15, 2013

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

While I think most people would agree that the prequels were failures on some level, I think they're failures of execution and not of vision. We could easily have ended up with something really safe and crowd-pleasing like we're likely to have with the upcoming sequel trilogy, but Lucas instead aimed for something a lot more downbeat at its root and full of kind of bizarre moments. It's not a ton fun to watch, but I'm still kind of glad the PT exists.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Wonderful Bread posted:

The only thing I really enjoyed about the prequel trilogy was how well the lightsaber combat was choreographed in The Phantom Menace.

Agree with a lot of the other posters that the lightsaber fights in the prequels are all overly choreographed and rehearsed. The fights in ESB and RoTJ are so much more effective because they convincingly look like two people trying to kill each other, or at least beat each other into submission. The emotion actually plays out through the combat, which is something that we're denied throughout the prequels, whether by design or not.

The prequels are like 50% audience-antagonizing, and 50% just kind of cheerfully goofy. Obi-Wan poking the crab-monster in Episode 2 with a long spear - and the monster grabbing it - is a direct reference to a common theme in Ray Harryhausen's effects work. The spear consistently serves as a kind of bridge between the world of special effects and the world of reality.

People complain about the 'bad' CGI, but the effect is designed to be read as an effect. It's in no way a reference to reality; it's a reference to Harryhausen. And I believe I've mentioned this before, but the setting here is extremely important. Obi-Wan is fighting the monster in a theatre, with an audience of insects around him, cheering - and people say that there's no satire there. Lucas then frequently cuts to other people in the audience, like Dooku, looking down utterly bored. A character even calls attention to the gratuitousness of the scene: why not just shoot them? Because it's spectacle, for the insects. And it fools Yoda into unleashing the stormtroopers.

It seems like one of the defining features of the prequels, especially in episodes 2 and 3 is Lucas making his homages to his b-movie source material much more overt than they ever were before. As if he felt like we didn't get the reference the first time.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I wouldn't really call the Hidden Fortress a b-movie.

If the OT is kind of Tarantino-style homage, the PT is more like Robert Rodriguez-style replication.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 10, 2013

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Adam Driver is a really weird choice for a Star Wars movie, which is really encouraging, because if there's anything these upcoming films could use, it's some personality.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

My guess for how Boyega fits in is that Luke probably at some point became disillusioned with peacetime politics and went off and became a hermit on some backwater planet. Some kind of poo poo goes down and throws he and Boyega- a random local kid- together, and he becomes his mentor.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I hope the new Star Wars has more space fights and less sword fights.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The Pervert's Guide to the Force

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

For some reason when I was a kid I always thought Yoda was human and that was just what a human being would look like if they lived for 900+ years instead of 90.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if that was at least kind of the idea they built off of in designing him. Plus his species has never been named, so why not?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Benedick Cuckold posted:

That was never the case. He was always an alien. He has huge, triangular elf ears and tridactyl hands and feet with claws. And he's green. I mean....really?

He's definitely got some miles on him.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Chewie gets space rabies and Han has to put him down.

Leia and Han's son converts to Islam.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

My immediate impression is that these 'inquisitors' are the good guys.

They're EU authors. Always trying to bring back the Sith, never let our OT heroes or the galaxy rest in peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Now that Johnson's on board have Joseph-Gordon Levitt casting rumors for Ep. VIII started yet, or are we saving that for next week?

• Locked thread