Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Farbtoner posted:

Does this mean that they're going to cancel the Clone Wars cartoon to move everything under Disney's TV umbrella? My god, the tears will match the Stormtrooper cosplayers :allears:

Like they did with Marvel, Disney seems to be honoring old contracts (Universal still owns the rights to theme park attractions of Marvel characters in Florida. In California, it's Disney's free game. Weird) so I imagine they'll allow Clone Wars to continue unless they really want to do something new that Clone Wars will go against, and if it's the case, Disney will have to buy out the contract.

Also: Why do the tears of anyone matter so drat much to the internet. It's a stupid thing that needs to stop, but of course it's the internet so :regd08:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

MichiganCubbie posted:

In her play based on her autobiography, she talks all about how much she hates George Lucas. She talks about him being an uncaring robot who wanted her to lose weight even though she weighed 110, and how her face was too fat, but they gave her a hairstyle that made her face wider. She also wasn't allowed to ever wear a bra on set, on orders from Lucas, because "there is no underwear in space." She was always pressured to lose weight, apparently from Lucas himself, even when she was 95 pounds.

She hates that there are Carrie Fisher realdolls out there, and blames Lucas's merchandising abilities for that.

She seems to have gained a bit of a sense of humor about it in more recent years. She talks about it on the "Making of Star Wars" documentary they made a few years back and is a) a bit nicer about and b) goddamn hilarious. Her recounting her fear of getting fired as they did the jump over the trench is great. "Thought I was going to hit a wall, they'd say "Nope, still too Tubby, bring in Jodie Foster!"

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Kevin is retiring from filmmaking, or at least say so. He also knows that he can't direct action worth a poo poo, and therefore would pass on the chance. I am sure he'd ask to be in it though.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

jet sanchEz posted:

I'd be surprised is J.J. Abrams didn't get involved in the new films in some way. Spielberg has a boner for him and J.J. single handedly made Star Trek cool again

Paramount won't let him do that. They like having him as their Star Trek guy.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Time to knock my anticipation down a notch thanks to ol' Middle of the Road Michael Arndt

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

A human heart posted:

The Black Hole is a live action Disney film that owns(especially the completely batshit ending sequence), but it's old enough that Disney today can't really be compared to the Disney that made it. I surprised that they haven't tried for a reboot of that actually, they've dredged up all sorts of other properties for movies.

They had plans to. It was going to be done by the director of Tron Legacy, but when that didn't do what Disney wanted, I think it put a stop on Black Hole.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

Good god, I hope so. The first Pirates film was fantastic and everything Star Wars should be.

The last thing Star Wars needs is to try too hard to be "interesting". It'd wind up looking like some grimdark approximation of Chris Nolan as done by a first-year film student.

If we can avoid a film like Pirates 4 though, that'd be good.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

^^It would be good for the laughs.

keep punching joe posted:

It's subjective, but I thought Zodiac was rather poor fare, and then he followed it up with dross like Benjamin Button, the Facebook movie, and a tedious remake of Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

The man is a hack.

Holy poo poo, this is actually an opinion. Baffling.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Joe Don Baker posted:

Well that's good because he hasn't made any mediocre movies.

Super 8 begs to differ, but that's not JJ's fault. That's the dumb script's fault.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Super 8 was mediocre and had a dumb script? :confused:

"Look, Interesting Character Dynamics and Relationships that could build the core of this movie to make it more than a simple monster movie. NOPE. MONSTER GONNA SMASH EVERYTHING."

Yes. Mediocre with a very dumb script. Moments of good stuff just mired in pastiche and bad CGI.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It does capture the feel of Spielberg's work in the 80's, so it did succeed on some fronts.

gently caress Damon Lindelof. (although Prometheus rules, so, I guess everyone gets ONE)

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Supercar Gautier posted:

Was that just meant as a change of subject? Because Damon Lindelof was not involved in Super 8.

Whoops, I thought he was. My mistake.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm not sure I understand. I don't give a poo poo about merch, I'm talking about directing quality.

About anyone is a step up from George ""Quit" Directing After New Hope because I'm Bad At It" Lucas.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Macaluso posted:

Yeah a little bit ago they revamped it so you can go to something like 100 different random locations in the Star Wars universe. It's awesome. From memory, I've been pod racing, the underwater area in Naboo, Endor racing speeder bikes, Hoth, and that big city from the prequels (you fly around all the sky cars and nearly crash several times). I've also gotten holograms from Leia and Yoda.

edit: Going there during Star Wars weekends is pretty cool too. There are stormtroopers that stand around on the roofs above the ticket lines with their blasters and there is just star wars stuff all over Hollywood Studios

They don't have Star Wars weekends in Disneyland, only Disney World.

Fun Fact: JJ Abrams favorite composer Michael Giacchinio supervised on the music for the new version of Star Tours, taking the familiar John Williams songs and making them fit the ride profiles. Just a prelude to doing the movies, maybe.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I said come in! posted:

I have no interest in seeing this movie if this rumor turns out to be true.

It's going to be a cameo at most. It's long been known they are continuing the story of the original trilogy, so I don't see why Han appearing is an issue.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Stupid Star Wars Commericials are one of my favorite things.

YODA MAN!

YOU DON'T WANT TO MISS THE CELEBRATION, QUI-GON!

I hope Disney keeps up that trend.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

euphronius posted:

Why would Twileks even have pronounced boobs. The head things seems like the sexually selected feature for them.

If I recall from some of the terrible poo poo I've read, they are even sensitive to touch, so yeah.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That would be Teras Kasi, the subject of a video game.

Jesus, that loving game.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Killing LucasArt is a pretty dumb move on Disney's part. I don't care about Star Wars games, but man, what a lot of talent that just got the axe.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Geekboy posted:

I was kind of looking forward to them all being released because I haven't seen Episode II since it came out and am curious how much worse it is than I remember.

Episode II is the worst of the prequels. It has zero charm and zero pay off for anything. At least TPM has moments, and Sith actually delivers on certain things.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Really, the best thing the prequels gave us was more John Williams Star Wars music. And now that this new film looks to be ready to do the same, I can say I am all for it.

I also think J.J. is the best man for the job. After Into Darkness, it's clear that's all he wanted to do was make Star Wars movies.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

scary ghost dog posted:

I'd rather Giacchino do it.

The score to Tintin proves that Williams still loving has it. I'd rather him do it than Giacchino try to imitate him.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

If anyone really wants to hear Giacchino do Star Wars, just ride the new version of Star Tours at your closest Disney park. He rearranged the Williams scores to match the various different versions of the ride, and composed new music for the queue line.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Well let's be fair. While Crystal Skull wasn't as good as the original Indy movies, it was still leagues better than any of the Star Wars prequels.

Episode III is goddamn high cinema compared to Crystal Skull.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

^^^ Yeah, I know, right, I sure do love that not-serious scene where the Emperor electrocutes Luke in front of his family. Such light fun entertainment.

CPFortest posted:

I'm seriously glad I'm not the only one who thinks this.

I like Episode III. Sure it has pacing issues, but it's a drat sight better than anything else Lucas has done since the 80's.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

kiimo posted:

Like, rape your childhood bad.

Whenever someone thinks this, a little bit of me dies.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

I think the point of Force lightning was that, no matter how prepared Luke thinks he is to face Vader and the Emperor, he's still a child in the ways of the Force. He can lightsaber battle with Vader and even beat him, but the Emperor outmatches him in every single way. All of his preparation, all of his skill, and there's still so much that he just doesn't understand. He thinks he has control of the situation and that there's nothing the Emperor can do to stop him. Then bam, pure unadulterated Dark Side power slams him in the face and completely incapacitates him. It was meant to be the ultimate expression of Dark Side power, and for it to come out of nowhere because we understand the Force only as much as Luke does.

Then it's all over the place in the prequels, and the effect is ruined if you watched them in Episode order. Because Force lightning is apparently the down-to-foward-B move for Dark Side characters, and is easily countered by blocking with R. (Sorry I went Street Fighter II for a second there.)

The only use of it in the prequels that bothers me is Dooku. Obi Wan just throws up his saber, no biggie. If that had been removed, once again Force Lightining would have only appeared in the third film of the trilogy, used by Palpatine.

Mace Windu blocking it with his saber in Ep. III is shown to take a lot of effort, and he almost loses his grip several times. That works much more in like with the ROTJ Lightning power than Ep. II.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Nah, the OOT release was the theatrical one. Just not in very good quality.

Disney easily could do this, it's a question of whether they will.

Well, yes, but there is also the fact that Fox still has some distribution rights over A New Hope, I believe. The rest of the films are essentially independent movies solely produced by Lucasfilm that Fox doesn't control, but Fox co-produced ANH.

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 30, 2013

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I really like the Victory Celebration from ROTJ SE. It never felt odd or out of place like the rest of the changes. Then again, I am pretty sure I only saw ROTK with Yub Nub twice before the special edition came out.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Red posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about cutting Fett out of RotJ. His presence at least counters Luke somewhat, and gives Jabba's side somewhat of a fighting chance.

I suggested a while back having a new scene inserted, where you can see Fett's POV as he flies towards the barge (with a green-tinted HUD screen, perhaps), with the words MISFIRE flashing on his heads-up display. I'm aware that it's a terrible idea.

I think his inclusion was well intentioned. Lucas and his writers probably thought audiences would have loved to see Boba Fett get his comeuppance for his deeds in Empire, but they didn't take his popularity as a character into account.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Hbomberguy posted:

Speaking of good Star Wars characters ruined by Star Wars: Dooku. The guy in Attack of the Clones seems almost like it pains him to be siding against the Jedi, like he might actually be just a guy with a different perspective on what was right and how the Jedi had lost their way. He seems genuinely upset when the Jedi refuse to surrender peacefully.

But thanks to the Expanded Universe, he's a huge rear end in a top hat evilman who killed his best friend to prove himself to the dark lord and fed his blood to a robot for some reason. Like, he can be a bad guy, fine, but don't make him so crazy evil about it. Gahh, this annoys me to an unreasonable degree.

This is why I don't pay attention to the EU and I am glad the new movies are mostly ignoring it.

Count Dooku was a cool character in an otherwise not cool movie, and seeing the look on his face when he realizes Sidious was betraying him was actually really cool.

drat it.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

On the one hand, Kazdan bringing that Empire magic would be great.

On the other hand, his last major work was Dreamcatcher.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Error 404 posted:

Jesus tapdancing christ, really?
:ughh:

From the director of Moon!

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

sebmojo posted:

I think Metzen is maintaining close creative control over the film.

So I expect Duncan Jones to go insane and/or quit well before then because holy shitballs Metzen is a hack.

I mean, he was all smiled and excitiment at Blizzcon. He was toting around the Comic-Con footage they showed and also announced that many of the creatures will be practical makeups as opposed to CGI creations, whenever possible.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I like it, but it's still the most ridiculous DVD release ever.

and it was worth every penny. Except maybe the plastic "oragami" unicorn.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

kiimo posted:

Every once in a while I watch the cutscenes of Kyle Katarn from Jedi Knight to laugh and reminisce. Finally I get to wipe your putrid taste from the Force!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmD-HlPAVTw

live action cut scenes always throw me off.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

I hope this thread will provide a list of Bad Episodes That Should Be Skipped.

Look at the plot description. If Jar Jar Binks plays a large role, perhaps skip it. While not as annoying as in the films, his episodes are filler.

Also a three episode arc where Obi Wan, Anakin, and Anakin's padawan wind up on a planet whose only inhabitants are a microcosom of the force, acting as sort of a secondary confirmation of the prophecy. It's just so goddamn bizarre, and lo and behold, the only time George Lucas had an idea for episodes directly.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I really like Asohka (besides the movie, where she is pretty insufferable, but they realized quickly how that wasn't going to work if they were going to have her be a good lead in the series)

Yeah, do not watch the Clone Wars movie. I don't know how they can have such a disparity of quality between that and the actual series, since they are done by the same people, but wow.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Adam Driver rules.

here's why
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Aq4a7g_wdU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I am watching episodes of The Clone Wars that I missed, and I just watched one where the character George Lucas cameoed as in Episode III has a large role and is a total badass. Nice and subtle, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

jivjov posted:

I don't think Lucas himself came back to voice the Baron though. That would have just been too much haha.

It's Corey Burton doing his Paul Frees impression with an Australian accent. so it's much more palatable than George's squeaky voice.

• Locked thread