Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Aatrek posted:

Actually, this means we could get a SW movie by BRAD BIRD.

Okay, Lucas and the Disney guy, I'm on board, where on the dotted line do I sign?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

The number of likely directors continues to be winnowed down. Brad Bird has announced on Twitter that he will not be directing.

Awww, man. I was holding out hope.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Kloaked00 posted:

It wasn't necessarily cruel, it's more that Lucas comes off as being a dick to one of his fans. What would have been so terrible about Lucas saying instead, "Luke starts training new Jedi in his own order, Leia becomes the head of the new Senate, Han is now the First Gentleman and gets to hang out with Lando, while Chewbacca got the Millennium Falcon and still makes delivery runs but with honest cargo."

Nothing, but they died.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Disney are not the 'hands-off' type.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Supernorn posted:

I don't think you can have this opinion when the movie was pretty much a critical and financial success.

No, actually, you can.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

jivjov posted:

Yeah, but it means something was done right. Even if it was "appeal to the greatest number of idiots at one time", that's still something that was accomplished.

Uh, cool, I guess? Thanks for telling us.

EDIT: Fires are wicked hot by the way.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I don't like or appreciate Michael bay style "cinematics for the sake of having an explosion" what star wars needs is something more intellectual,

Have you ever seen a loving Star Wars movie? They're all about emotion over intellect.

I love this beautiful dissonance fans of science fiction have where in retrospect everything they ever liked turns into The Wire.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

The dichotomy between intellectualism and action is a false one.

Abrams' Star Trek combines extravagant visuals and effectively tense setpieces with a consistent thematic through-line. Conversely, Whedon's The Avengers combines flippant characterization and disconcerting ideological implications with sloppy, poorly-emphasized action.

"Fun Action" and "Intelligent Concepts" are not an either-or thing.

I don't think they are exclusive, or even at odds, particularly. I also don't think that vague notions of 'intellectual' credibility were ever a prerequisite to Star Wars.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I don't like Star Trek '09 because it wasn't star trek.

It was actually, it said it right in the title.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Modern movie people like James Cameron

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Servetus posted:

If that was his intention there's a far better way to express it.

"You tell me."

That's not nearly as funny, though.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The guy who posted this telling SMG to put more thought into his posts is really funny.

jivjov posted:

Just to :spergin: a little bit, the Dejarik table was featured in Episode IV, during the flight from Tatooine to Alderaan.

Star Wars is a series that has a significant, prominent group of it's fans model themselves after the series' evil, jackbooted, facist soldiers. If the new movies can inspire anything as funny as that I'll consider them a success.

Alternatively, if J.J. Abrams goes to a Star Trek fan convention and tells someone that 'they died' I will also be satisfied.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 2, 2013

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

"Most of the crew are men, and they really enjoyed being on the set."
―Aggie Guerard Rodgers

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Breast

- Tempest (Mentioned only)

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

How many times do you think that idea of purposely carbon freezing yourself to sneak into a place has occured in the extended universe?

My money's on 30 to 40.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

euphronius posted:

Obi Wan kills a bunch of people on the Death Star when he helps Luke blow it up.

Badass.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Mazreal posted:

what swine

That's got nothing to do with elitism and everything to do with it being an incredibly retarded way to think, peace.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Riptor posted:

but it has nothing to do with the quality of the plinkett reviews themselves

Okay?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I liked a film.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

It's cool that there are people so unhinged and neurotic that they will spend hundreds of posts desperately trying to reason with a man they consider a worthless troll, in order to get him to take their feelings about fake spaceships seriously.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Darth Plagueis's staff....!?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

It cannot be!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

rear end Catchcum posted:

Finally found a Sabine figure :-)

Jesus CHrist!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

SirDrone posted:

So anyone mind telling me what the canon excuse is for Vader?

He is Anakin Skywalker.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

sassassin posted:

No one who is a big fan of that game's writing has ever seemed to have actually read it. Usually they give glowing praise to complexity that doesn't exist (it uses a far-more simplistic Jedi=Good, Sith=Bad world-view than any of the movies), and bemoan the rushed schedule that destroyed a potential masterpiece (all the restored cut content is garbage that was cut for good reason).

The writing isn't bad. It's a 40-hour trick designed to draw in the edgy teens to whom a "darker, more mature" perspective would appeal. The villain's scheme is to exploit that desire in the player. Unfortunately the main writers (who have admitted they don't actually like or know much about Star Wars), didn't realise that most of the elements they introduced as tricks are actually in the films to begin with (Light side as flawed, Luke's "middle path" etc.). So the ending rings false (which probably explains many fans confusion about it).

Actually, that's not true.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

No one who hates it seems to have done so either.

e: The reason why KOTOR2 is almost literary is that its writers have clearly thought of things like themes and philosophical underpinnings and how those relate to storytelling.

Okay, I've changed my position, KOTOR2 is terrible.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

That just sounds petty as gently caress.

If people enjoy it, who are you to say they can't?

I'm their daddy.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

The Special Editions are insulting and should not exist.

If people enjoy it, who are you to say they can't?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Imagined posted:

By tying themselves to the continuity of the old films, they retroactively attack their predecessors with ideas like the mysterious Clone Wars actually being the Republic's clones (no nation has ever names a war after their own side i.e. we call it the "Vietnam War" the Vietnamese call it "The American War"),

Hmmm, interesting. Also interesting is that much like the Jedi, Star Wars fans who think like this should be ambushed and slaughtered in droves.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

cargohills posted:

What time is the trailer coming out today?

It's out.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

homullus posted:

Marathoning movies is dumb, marathoning 7 movies is super dumb.

Scientists have located the brain disease that causes these impulses, and within a few generations, it will be gone.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

jivjov posted:

He doesn't want to do a marathon viewing. That's fine. But there's no need to attack my hobbies because of a personal preference.

You really need to take it down a notch. I don't care how hosed up your gross hobby is, you shouldn't be trolling in the Star Wars thread.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I went to the Die Hard marathon when A Good Day To Die Hard came out, and while I enjoyed watching the first 4 in a theater, the new one (which I was really interested in seeing) turned out to be loving terrible, and I was really starting to feel the effects of sitting in one spot for that long during Live Free Or Die Hard, so I'd probably never do one of those marathons again.

I saw King Kong in the cinema and a guy kept laughing behind me and I had to turn around and tell him to cut it out because people died on Skull Island.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Lots of people think the lightsabers are the best thing in Star Wars, but me? I like the spaceships.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I like the planets, I like the droids, I like the names.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The Holy Spaceship Trinity.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Kazy posted:

Y-Wing best wing.

Shut up. Just shut up right now.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Wandle Cax posted:

Witnessing a whole planet being destroyed would be pretty emotional.

Mmmm, maybe if you're a big pussy.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Shockeh posted:

Which, we can suppose, is probably him visiting the site of where his father was nearly burnt to death.

There is much lava in the galaxy.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Shockeh posted:

There traditionally isn't in the Star Wars world, except for maybe a JJ Switcheroo. We have 1x Lava Planet, 1x Forest Planet, 1x Desert Planet, 1x City Planet, and so on, and so forth.

Everything you thought you knew about the Star Wars world? Forget it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Imagined posted:

The hope I've been clinging to re: JJ is that I feel like he's always wanted to do a Star Wars movie, so much so that he hosed up Star Trek by trying to turn it into Star Wars too.

Actually, they were Star Trek films.

• Locked thread