Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Just poppin in to say I disagree with the thread tag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Luke slicing open the belly of the ATAT is related to the image of Han slicing open the goatasaurus. It's also related to the image, near the end, of the Falcon attached to the rebel 'mothership' by some sort of umbilicus. (The design of this mothership is often overlooked. It's shaped like a dozen smaller ships, or modules, being gradually fused together.)

Empire Strikes Back is stuffed full of cave, womb, and devouring imagery. The triangular windows on the bridge of the star destroyer recall the pointed teeth of the space worm. Vader chills out in a big black egg, R2 is lucky he doesn't taste very good, Luke floats in the bacta tank, people's entire homes are revealed to be sentient....

So what or whom is preparing to be born? Is it Luke's nascency before becoming the Martin Luther of the Jedi order? Or is it the growth of Vader's ultimate redemption in ROTJ? I guess I'm leaning toward the former since the OT is meant to be Luke's journey while the prequels are meant to be Vader/Anakin's.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

kiimo posted:

He DOES have friends!

ESB is seriously the best Star Wars movie.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I always wondered why Leia was so much tanner when they swing from the barge to the skiff.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I'm wondering what would be a good toxxx condition for this movie sucking. Maybe some kind of box office goal? And I also don't want to get banned, but more of a May Contain Peanuts kind of toxxx where I have to mention how much better the special edition OT is than the original OT for like 400 posts.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Isn't Yoda a Whill?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

ShineDog posted:

It was the highest level of canon outside of the movies in the old EU tiering system. That means it overwrites a whole bunch of EU details and the real hardcore spergs lose their poo poo about it.

You know that fun Jailbreak arc where the clone gets bisected by a door and theres a little sort of russian goblin jedi? And he gets killed during the big escape? Whoa boy theforce.net people do not like that one.

I want to read tf.n's nerdrage. Could you link to some posts? Or are they all gone since they moved from IGN boards or whatever?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Fukken hell lol

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

jivjov posted:

EDIT: That is, assuming by "fan fictions" you're actually referring to the licensed Expanded Universe works. Which, sorta by definition, is not fan fiction.

trap sprung

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

He wants a story of something versus evil, anyway. It's Obi-Wan and Palpatine, or Luke and Palpatine, fighting for Anakin's soul.

I do think Obi-Wan is different from most Jedi. Obi-Wan believed that the Jedi ideals were worthy and tried to live up to them; his master believed the Jedi Order had strayed from those ideals and tried to set them right; his master's master believed the Jedi Order had irreparably betrayed those ideals and set out on his own.

Yoda explains his failure and the moral core of the entire hexalogy as "Wars [do] not make one great." Frankly, he would know; he and every Jedi who fought under him in the Clone Wars compromised their beliefs, and since, with the Force, belief is power, they fell in the Purge. Obi-Wan, however, survived the Purge, even besting Anakin, called the most powerful of all Jedi, at the height of his powers. But he was in the thick of the war and never doubted it; he was a general, he witnessed its horrors first-hand; there was a whole cartoon about it and everything. Although he was ultimately wrong about what had to be done, he still was right enough to set Luke on the path of light, and even understood enough to put aside his weapon rather than continue fighting. How did he keep what he did from staining his soul?

Well, the answer is massive amounts of denial. He shot a cripple in the exposed glowing weak point on the chest, but he took all the disgust he felt and attributed it to the blaster, which he threw away and vowed never to use again, calling it "Uncivilized." Notably, Grievous was the very last person he killed in any of the films (he did chop off a few limbs, but that's a highly treatable injury in this universe), so it's exactly as if he had vowed not to kill again, but he thought of the blaster, not the Jedi way that he was following, as the killer.

Where he went wrong was in believing that redemption was impossible. This is how he coped with Qui-Gon's death; Qui-Gon wanted redemption for the Jedi Order, but if what he wanted was impossible, then his death was less of a loss. And why shouldn't he have believed that? After all, "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny." If he had killed Grievous, it would mean he had struck down his enemy with all of his anger, but since it was just the blaster that killed him, it isn't that bad. He preferred to invent a reality where Anakin was a victim of the Purge rather than its perpetrator, because that way he could believe his best friend had died an innocent rather than fallen beyond hope. He gave up his life to make Luke believe that Darth Vader was irredeemable, so that he wouldn't try to do the impossible and redeem him.

Of course, it wasn't impossible and Qui-Gon was right all along. Luke only discovered it when he came to question whether Obi-Wan was as wise as he seemed, when Vader revealed that Obi-Wan had been controlling Luke with the same lie that Palpatine had used to control Anakin: that Darth Vader had murdered their only living relative.

I don't think we can emptyquote in CD but drat that was pretty sick.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Lincoln posted:

Let's get back to talking about OT hair.

Rogue Squadron, where's our cover?!

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

All prequels are achronological sequels. That's unavoidable.

But more than that: Although Return Of The Jedi leaves things open, everything leading up to that end is of a very specifically of a 'New Age', pagan ideology. And that's what most people understandably take away from it. The prequels satirize what Star Wars became: thousands of fans dressing up as Jedi - in fake beggars' robes - because Yoda's the good guy. Millions of people saying 'use the force' as just kind of a reference to vague mysticism. And outside of Star Wars, what is James Cameron's Avatar if not an entire epic film devoted to the nobility and purity of the Ewoks? The last thing we see in the original films was Yub Nub - how do you interpret that?

Original Yub Nub or Special Edition Yub Nub?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

That scene is one of the best in the series.

"To be angry is to be human."

you're either a troll, or you are to CD what Westboro Baptist Church is to Christianity

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
drat, I've been watching the clone wars on Netflix, and this Darth Maul arc... actually isn't that bad. Even the little interval with the droid commando team wasn't too bad either. I feel like the part with the amnesiac clone was a good indication of "this is the last time you'll see this style of helmet" which kind of at the same time said to me "this is the last time the Republic does something selfless for its people" in a roundabout way. Then the episode where Maul chops off the leader of death watch's head was pretty dang cool as well. I really thought bringing him back would be this show's jumping of the shark but it's actually getting even better.

e: oh drat he just killed satine

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 28, 2014

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

qxx posted:

They know everyone wants the OG OT in HD on DVD.

They do? I can't say why for sure, but I doubt this.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I'm also on board with the second one. The first one looks like Swamptrooper(tm) gear.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

computer parts posted:

Shakespeare in Love is also objectively better than Saving Private Ryan.

Cate Blanchett Elizabeth was better than both

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

omg chael crash posted:

Why did they change Korriban's name?

For some reason I seem to remember a Goon saying it was an accident for the Clone Wars show that just stuck but I could have imagined that.

It was on purpose from George.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

CJSwiss posted:

From what I've read, although I don't know if it's true, George thought Korriban sounded too similar to Coruscant.

Which is funny that they're both names originally thought up in the EU.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Isn't it in the opening scrawl of ANH?

fake edit: yes I'm going to post this without checking for myself

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Cross-Section posted:

The Marvel Star Wars comics were great for how goddamn weird they were: Jaxxon the Space Rabbit, Crimson Jack, magical power gems, all great examples of how awesome drugs apparently were in the 70s.

e: Also going to take this opportunity to shill for the Rebels thread over in TVIV, since the show's premiering online tomorrow. It'll be interesting to see what tone they're going for in Star Wars stuff going forward, though reviews are already fairly positive.

e2: Also also: Concept art, or fan art surreptitiously leaked as concept art? YOU DECIDE

What's the quote in your avatar title from? I actually have an ex whose last name is Ketcher and fits that analogy almost perfectly :v:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

kiimo posted:

Darth Punk.

We're up all night to Fett lucky

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Worked in Tron.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Rough Lobster posted:

#3 He's always standing around like he's ready for some poo poo to go down, he's never idle.

I seem to recall him giving a Twi'lek dancer some attention in ROTJ.

Gat dammit, that original voice was so much better though.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Corek posted:

There is literally a Lucasfilm EU mandate that paper is almost never used in the Star Wars universe. Another unusual mandate is that Wookiees can't be Jedi or any kind of force user (excepting those grandfathered in).

I seem to recall "flimsi" being some sort of equivalent. Can't be assed to look it up though.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

:aaaaa::fh:

I'm so excited..

I think it's a shop.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

iSheep posted:

As far as teasers go its pretty much a guarantee we'll see something attached to Age of Ultron.

I'll go see Bratz: The Movie if it has a trailer.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I want that green rabbit guy's face as an av.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

ShineDog posted:

It's the big, looping shot of the falcon that looked the least starwars and the most abrams to me. But whatev, looks kind of great.

100% agree

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Ravane posted:

gently caress yes.

I recant. It's grown on me. This is Star Wars now.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I wonder what George told Mark right before the burnt corpses scene.

"faster and more intense"

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Lunatic Pathos posted:

Where did you get the idea SMG is starting that his readings are objective truth? Because he doesn't say 'maybe' every few words? It's his reading, and he's saying what he thinks. It's therefore exactly as truthful as anyone else's reading. Note that the word reading means something specific in this context.

He provides evidence that the imagery means some particular thing. It is as truthful as anything that has evidence backing it up. You're effectively asking what truth is. That's why you receive a philosophical answer. Yes, of course his readings are philosophical, because human beings are.

For SMG, the readings follow Marxist ideology because SMG follows Marxist ideology. For him, that is truth, therefore truthful readings will contain, support, and be supported by it.

Your reading does not have to do this.

I don't understand why people ask SMG how he can prove what he's saying. He makes an argument and supports it with evidence. This is all anyone can do. Are you insisting that anytime someone does not have absolute god-like knowledge of truth they have to use language that indicates what they are saying is only their understanding?

Let's put this in the OP, shall we?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Horton Salm's badassery will always be canon in my mind. My TFN forums name was even Y-wing related.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Madurai posted:

I'm not really seeing any of that.

What I am seeing is how much that sportscaster alien still sets my teeth grinding, even all these years later.

Don't you dare sass talk Greg Proops

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Szmitten posted:

Also, (character spoilers) Greg Grunberg confirmed for X-Wing pilot, Nien Nunb confirmed, and Admiral Ackbar confirmed.

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Yoinks, time to leave this thread

Ditto; I really regret clicking those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

MeinPanzer posted:

Really? Is it that major of a spoiler knowing that the top general of the rebels and a skilled pilot are still around, given that the Empire still exists in some form?

I know, I know, but I kind of wanted to half-forget they existed until actually seeing the movie :shobon:

• Locked thread