Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

No.

Stop to think, for a moment, how much of meaningless statement that is. It can be applied to literally anything.

When C3P0, a shoddy robot wandering aimlessly on a barren planet, complains that "We seem to be made to suffer. It's our lot in life." it's not a theological metaphor. No, it's just a bit of 'world-building' that tells us robots get depressed sometimes.

That's not an existentialist statement OR information about how robots work in the universe. It's part of C3PO's dramatic, self-pitying character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Cithen posted:

Sure, it isn't inventive, but it is compelling for any variety of reasons; emotional, cognitive, interpersonal, societal.

How is the Hero's Journey compelling cognitively or societally?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I just watched the trailer and I've got mixed feelings. It's cool to see a Stormtrooper without his helmet, since that means we might get a look at a conflict from their perspective. But the color grading on the part where the woman takes the speeder is almost Transformers bad. And speaking of color grading, the instagram filter on the X-wing scene looks really dated.

The ending scene with the Falcon mostly looked good, but I don't understand why there was a haze on Tattooine's horizon. If you want to distort the distance it makes more sense to do it with the wavy air like they did in the original trilogy (maybe the prequels too, I never saw them). It really made me feel how hot the desert was.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The Ep7 teaser is extremely un-evocative, and doesn't really tell us anything. It doesn't look very much like the original films, and doesn't look very different from the prequels. People are being 'tricked' simply because it's stormtroopers and x-wings instead of clone troopers and whatever they drive.

I don't agree with much else you say, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. The trailer really was just a bunch of signifiers thrown together. And the Stormtrooper scene and X-wing scene are both going to look really silly in a decade or two. The Stormtrooper one because of the blinky lights, closeups on helmets, and being in a dropship which is an inexplicably huge trope right now. And the X-wing one because it literally had an instagram filter over it.

You can't call this a return to form for Star Wars because when the original movie came out, no one knew what an X-Wing or a Millenium Falcon were. And those things weren't what made the movie good. Star Wars was a perfect storm of great casting, a genius auteur who didn't have the time or power to get crazy yet, loads of pulpy inspiration, an incredible Romanticist composer who matched the fairy tale and fascism themes, the most creative sound effect team ever, and Harrison Ford's ad-libbing.

It's not going to happen again.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Keep in mind, though, that I like the prequels.

Seeing the falcon ship flying around just feet above the ground looks really offputting, because it's not at all aerodynamic. Obviously, Star Wars has 'artifical gravity' and whatever, but now those already-hosed outer space physics are double-hosed by putting them in a planet's atmosphere.

I don't care much for realism, but there's a reason we never saw this stuff before: the falcon looks like a piece of poo poo on the ground and defies expectations once it hits space, where it has near-infinite freedom of movement. Showing this stuff is like 'whoa you ain't never seen that before!' but there's a reason why we haven't seen it before. Could be better in context, but that's a year from now.

Yeah, the Falcon was supposed to be charming because it looked like junk, even to the characters, but had hidden power that Solo trusted in. The CG falcon doing loop de loops two feet above the sand is exactly like Clone Wars' acrobatic computer yoda.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Speaking of which, the original trilogy was full of characters being underestimated and mistaken for garbage. When they're being compacted because the system thinks they're trash, when a droid carrying a royal distress signal is sold as scrap, when they hide from the star destroyer by flying the Falcon along with a bunch of garbage. Luke thinking yoda's just some crazy swamp hermit.

It's all cool underdog imagery that fits a narrative where the rebels are the good guys. And it's totally absent in the prequels, where the rebels are the bad guys and we're supposed to root for the boring monarchy of all humans.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

That's a good example of how context can affect this imagery, though, because flippy CGI Yoda represents the point where he completely sells out to the Dark Side. The film ends soon after, with him looking down at 'his' infinite clone army and declaring that war has begun. (Yoda is, after all, the one who first leads them into battle.)

And audiences love it! It's a great comedy scene, and Ep2 has a lot of good action.

Yeah the main thing I disagree with you about is the prequels being satire. I don't know if you saw them in theaters, but nobody laughed at any of the scenes you say are comedy.

Like, I don't disagree that the Republic are secretly racist, authoritarian liberal dumbshits. But you say it's ironic, and I say it's because the relevant creative people were also secretly racist, authoritarian liberal dumbshits who think that's what good guys are.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

weekly font posted:

Actually this is one of the most accurate things he's said so far and it's so obvious that I don't understand how people don't get it. Plinkett is a parody of the nitpicky nerd nostalgia bullshit like Spoony and EverythingWrongWith.

Stoklasa probably does have issues with the prequels but it's presented through the Plinkett character for a reason.

I think he's sincere about everything he's saying, but it's done through Plinkett to make it more interesting and because he's aware the badness of the prequels isn't really that important in the grand scheme of things.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Also. 'death of the author' really just means the birth of the reader as 'co-author' of a given work. Nobody who hates the prequels actually cares what George Lucas thinks - detailed analysis of his stated political affiliations, religious beliefs (and so-on) simply does not occur. (Or, when it does occur, it invariably supports the reading of the prequels as satirical.)

George Lucas is into Eastern mysticism and Buddhism, so he probably doesn't think the Force is just meaningless magic powers that aren't as important as Christ. He's a huge philanthropist so he probably doesn't agree with your idea that charity's just a band-aid or distraction from systemic problems. Nothing he's said or done has suggested he's an anticapitalist, much less a radical Christian one.

So no, his biography doesn't support your satirical reading.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

George Lucas is a self-described "Buddhist Methodist" - as in Methodist Christianity.

As in white guy cultural tourist who still likes the comforts of what he grew up with, not radical Zizek community of believers thing. Your version of Christianity would be unrecognizable to most people who self-describe as Christians.

Lucas has also stated that he is "a very ardent believer in democracy, not capitalist democracy. "

That's interesting, I didn't know he was public about his political beliefs. But the rest of what he says in that interview puts him at center-left, not far-left.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

You're conflating my redemptive (re-)interpretation of Star Wars with the much more basic observation that the prequels are satirical.

No I'm not. The prequels are satirical, but it's an obvious tragic satire ("this is how democracy dies" etc) not the really complex thing you're ascribing to it.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Cnut the Great posted:

I never got the impression the Jedi were ever threatening war. Lucas said it himself, they're like the Mafia--only they don't just whack people. They were going to use their powers to intimidate the Neimoidians--and probably mind trick them--then they were going to give them a little something for their trouble. Not the most ethical of practices, but it's what they were there for.

Did George Lucas really say the jedi are like mafia?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Where?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Does anyone know where exactly people are getting the spoilers in the other thread from?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Payndz posted:

Just search for "force awakens spoilers" or "force awakens synopsis" in Google. The top few links have pretty much everything.

I don't actually want to know the spoilers, I was just curious what the source of the leaks was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Has JJ Abrams said anything about his philosophy or intentions for Episode VII?

• Locked thread