Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Any new movie can NOT be worse than Phantom Menace so gently caress yes, great news! Now gimme the originals on DVD and I die happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

dialhforhero posted:

To be honest, one of the best moves in the EU was killing off main characters. Say what you want, but killing characters like Chewbacca made you rethink the invincibility of main characters. This adds tension.

The only tension was my blood pressure at how loving badly it was done.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

randombattle posted:

This is never ever a powerful story and the largest problem with EU stories.

That's.... not the EU's problem. The actual real problem is 99% of the books vomited up are terribly written, some on par with Twilight in sheer loving awfulness. You can have a smaller personal story (I, Jedi) or a larger galaxy wide brawl (Thrawn trilogy) and if the writer has half a clue you can make them work. Some might find the named examples not good but I think in the main most who read the EU would say they are pretty decent examples of resonable work.

Or you can go down the road of say Callista (Holy poo poo that Callista / Luke crap was foul) or the Vong (What were they thinking???) which are so badly done it wouldnt matter what on earth you wrote about, they are just plain loving bad. That Galaxy gun trilogy or holy the Sun Crusher???? MAYBE they could be done well but the writers sure as hell didnt do it.

Sure, you need to relate a galaxy-wide threat back to the characters and a personal story can work really well - gotta sa=tart with decent writers first and that's the real problem we have - The EU really has had some incredible stupidity published and it's mainly the writer's fault, not the setting or the scope.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

cptn_dr posted:

I vaguely remember something that could cause every star in the galaxy to simultaneously explode, although that could have come from some other terrible Sci-Fi.

The Shawken Device.

Altho nothing tops the Sun Crusher for outright dumb.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

General Dog posted:

It makes you wonder what changed. Lucas wrote the screenplay for the original Star Wars, which is about as carefree and snappy as the series ever was. Compare that the the bone dry prequels, which he also wrote, and it makes you wonder if age just changed him or if he was aiming for something else.

His first writes were awful. He had a lot of help from his then wife and a studio looking over his shoulder. Basically there were people willing to tell him NO, that sucks. Even then it took some good actors to sell it.

To be fair, when you remove his negatives and restrain him, he can produce compelling visuals - Star Wars really was something else especially in 1977.

It's probably no co-incidence the best movie of the series was Empire, where he was not the director.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

zVxTeflon posted:

the hand comes into focus. it is jar-jars. it extends a middle finger. cue credits

It's Jar Jar's hand allright, still attached to his arm. But the arm has been shoved up his rear end. Jar Jar's final scream of pain and horror frozen forever because he was kicked out an airlock, condemned to be floating forever in space.

Audience cheers, voted best Star Wars film ever.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

dublish posted:

^^^ This makes me feel like I'm playing Rogue Squadron on N64. Perfect.

Every time I see that, my inner six year old squeals with glee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Has there been any real Luke Skywalker hi res shots other than what was in the trailer been released?

• Locked thread