Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:laugh: "going to."

Unless I misunderstand the corporate structure there, wouldn't this have big implications for Lucasarts too? Monkey Island movie, anyone? It would be a way for them to make more Pirates of the Carribean movies without having to pay those Jonny Depp dollars.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Teek posted:

Bleh, a Star Wars movie without FOX in the opening just isn't the same.

Seriously though, love him or hate him, a theatrical live action Star Wars movie which wasn't written by Lucas just seems wrong.

This is Star Wars, stop kidding yourself. Nothing is sacred with this franchise.

Indiana Jones animated series, please.

L_E_E posted:

This is very exciting news. Would Episode 7 be based on the books?

Hahaha.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

Video of a Lucas interview from Oct. 19th has been released, where Lucas talks about the future of Star Wars. He talks about the Disney acquisition in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyqlTi7lkhY

Lucas said "they're out in the cold and snow" twice about the potential future films production, after saying that they already have story treatments.

:siren: Hoth confirmed :siren:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Heard this news earlier and wanted to loving die right on the spot, but this

is pretty good news, I think. I hope :ohdear:

In the earlier linked interview, he said that there were story treatments that have been finished for some time that they're going off of, so his influence will still be felt significantly.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

taco_fox posted:

I don't see how the new movies will be any good. There's just too much baggage in the Star Wars universe. I see a lot of people clamoring for a Thrawn movie, and I think that's exactly the problem. The Thrawn trilogy was an ok little side trip, but it just wasn't Star Wars, nor is any of the rest of the EU. I don't even think a reboot would work. Like Star Trek, it would have to modernize (and Flanderize) all the characters and make them into caricatures of themselves to give the audience familiarity of 40 years worth of pop culture saturation.

There's just no way the new movies will be able to recapture the fun, simple adventures of the originals.

With the way Lucas handled the focus of the prequels, it seems pretty obvious that in his mind Star Wars is the story of the Skywalkers. So Han and Leia's kids seems like a pretty logical direction for them to take this in. And his hardon for the politics in the prequels also probably means that the rebuilding of the Republic will feature heavily.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Maybe, but I'd rather they do something new and fresh.

e: I mean, as new and fresh as you can get with a 7th film in a series.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 30, 2012

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Gaz2k21 posted:

Wait ............doesn't this mean that Disney now own Sam & Max

Something good must come of that!

Disney owns Sam & Max. Steve Purcell works for Pixar. We'll be getting the announcement of a Pixar Sam & Max movie any day now. They're a perfect match, right? Right?

:smith:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

MichiganCubbie posted:

When I was a kid, my dad told me about an article he had read in Starlog or something about how Lucas envisioned the saga. He wanted I, II, and III to be about the clone wars and Anakin's fall, eventually with Obi-Wan and Anakin fighting over a volcano and Anakin falling it.

For the episodes after the original trilogy, there was to be an episode VII like 15 years after RotJ. He said that Luke was turning to the Dark Side and Leia was a hermit jedi hiding from him. She must find an apprentice and attempt to bring Luke back before he completely slips to the dark side. This was to be the main story of the next three movies. Bringing Luke back while the Republic thinks that he's the main good Jedi in the galaxy and Leia is this weird renegade Jedi trying to take power for herself.

I have no idea if he was making it up, but a lot of that ended up in the prequels, and I know Lucas used to talk of nine movies. That stopped some time after Jedi, and he started denying everything.

The first part of that is definitely true, Lucas did talk in Starlog about some vague idea for the prequels. As far as I know, the second part is a complete fabrication and Lucas has never talked about what his ideas for the post-Jedi universe were.

I think with enough money they could easily get Ford or Hammil back, but no way in hell Fischer would ever even cameo, so whatever sequel ideas Lucas did have back in the day, they sure as hell aren't going to be the same now.

What's Billy Dee up to these days? I'd watch a movie about Lando and Solo as old divorced bachelors trying to pick up space babes.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Hamill doesn't even look like himself anymore so despite him being the only original cast member still interested he's the last one I'd want to see.

Sure you can find really unflattering pictures of him around since he hasn't aged all that gracefully, but I think if he lost some weight and got a good makeup team he'd be fine playing a 60-something.

Plus, he's actually a much more versatile actor now than he was in any of his major live-action roles.

And regardless of interest, if you waved a $20 million check in front of Harrison Ford I'm sure he'd sacrifice a week of his time to show up on set. The guy already hates the series, what's he got to lose?

e: I mean he doesn't look too bad here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8g6DNU9nu0&t=112s

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 31, 2012

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Guys, I just want to say: I feel really bad for whoever directs the next film. Quality of the film(s) aside, their life is completely different from the moment they sign that contract on. But it's also an opportunity you can't really refuse, especially if they're going after slightly younger, fresher talent like I think we all assume.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Oct 31, 2012

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Yoshifan823 posted:

I think they might be able to wrangle a cameo out of Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford, but the only way Mark Hamill is gonna be involved is if he does the voice of some alien (which I would be totally 100% for).

Carrie Fisher has written books about how Star Wars stole her life. There is no amount of money they could give her to come back.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That I'm going to have to agree with. Even if somehow the new movies aren't terrible, the most entertainment I'll get out of this is the horrible EU fans crying over their massacred canon.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Lord Lambeth posted:

He's not that bad. I guess if you start taking less active roles(unlike Harrison Ford) that will happen to you.

Like I said, after a little bit of weight loss (several million dollars will motivate you pretty well), he'll look like he did a couple of years ago. And honestly, if we end up with

Then I'm okay with it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Nobody would ever let Kevin Smith direct a Star Wars film. Kevin Smith would never let himself direct a Star Wars film.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Nobody in Hollywood loves Star Wars more than Smith. He'd push his own kid in front of a moving car for the chance to do it.

Kevin Smith also really, really loves comic books/superheroes, yet he's turned down multiple offers to direct superhero films because he doesn't think he's a good enough director and been very open about that.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Jedi shouldn't be overpowered superheroes. That's a very silly idea that betrays the spirit of the OT.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
SuperShadow confirmed it!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The only Expanded Universe thing I'd like to see on films is nothing, ever.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

reagan posted:

Good point. It's been 15+ years since I read them so I forgot about that part. I guess I'd just prefer something set decades after Return of the Jedi.

I think that's the problem with most people's views of their favorite EU works: either it's been too much time since you've read them or you have too much nostalgia for the time in which you read them. Go back and reread it and you'll likely find that it does not in any way stand up to your memory.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm hoping you're never put into a position with any decision-making capacity toward the Star Wars franchise at Disney. Because that unified continuity is pure garbage.

God forbid they don't let

or

be in continuity.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 25, 2013

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

jivjov posted:

Man, don't talk smack about Runt. He's one of the best characters from the Wraith Squadron books.

I was about to refute you once again by going to Wookieepedia and finding something on the "Wraith Squadron" page that sounded especially stupid (aside from, you know, the name), but after two paragraphs of absolutely unintelligible nonsense I decided to check the word count of the article. 53,354 words were written to describe something called Wraith Squadron. I can't win. Because we've already all lost.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I haven't seen it, but I've heard Super 8, while bad, captures the feeling of 70s Spielberg perfectly. Is this true? If so, that could be very promising when it comes to recapturing the magic of the OT.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

BreakAtmo posted:

Well, 2015 could well mean the 2015 holidays, which would give them nearly 3 years from now.

Another thing - does anyone find it odd that they aren't filming the movies all together LotR-style? Normally that would be a huge risk given the possibility of the first movie bombing, but... this is Star Wars. Something tells me they wouldn't have much to worry about, and so they would be left with only the pluses of the method - finishing the trilogy quicker and cheaper with no quality loss.

No. They're (likely) planning on having different directors on each film. They could be planning on having the stories be slightly more self-contained for each film this time. It takes three times as long to write three movies, and the production time is massively increased as well. If they wanted to do them together, the whole endeavor would have to be pushed back at the very least a year or two from what it's going to be. It might save a bit more money to shoot them all together, but Disney wants to cash in on their big purchase sooner rather than later.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

BreakAtmo posted:

Kind of a waste to have self-contained stories when they know the whole trilogy will make bank.

I don't mean self-contained stories with separate characters and situations in each, I just meant the rejection of the BTTF2/3, Matrix 2/3, Pirates 2/3, etc. style where the films are just one story stretched out too long without proper arcs and endings. Or maybe I'm just being overly optimistic; ESB and ROTJ were essentially the pioneers of the cliffhanger sequel, after all. Though ESB still had good emotional arcs and still felt like its own individual film.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

McDowell posted:

Its a buddy cop movie.

An Imperial buddy cop movie would be amazing. Just make it a side-quel to A New Hope and have it be the two Imperial Detectives who were given the case to track down 3PO and R2.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I don't think I've thought about Troops since 2001.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Twi'lek sex slaves, obviously. They're definitely not going to whitewash the career of smuggling. Definitely.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

DrNutt posted:

What do people have against Ryan Reynolds other than that he is cool and attractive?

The common argument is that he tends to take "douchey" roles. He's fine as a wiseass, but he's not terribly likeable.

Now Ryan Gosling as Solo, on the other hand :allears:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Guys, let's end this debate. None of these actors looks anything like Harrison Ford. I think we all know who is going to get cast based not only his startling resemblance to a young Harrison Ford but also his powerhouse performance in one of our favorite collective television shows.

That's right, Jonathan Taylor Thomas.

e: I know this is a joke post, but I keep looking at that picture and it's freaking me out how much he looks like Harrison Ford.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 6, 2013

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Longbaugh01 posted:

I still think the half-joke that was passed around at the time of the Abrams announcement is fitting: Josh Holloway.

He's in his mid 40s. Harrison was in his mid 30s in ANH.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Longbaugh01 posted:

Honestly, one of my biggest concerns is them casting roles with Disney Channel show-level "hot young actors/actresses". Though, I realize the irony in that Mark Hammill became a teen sensation after ANH. Just hope JJ has a big say in that department.

I don't get why people think this. Lucasfilm is still run independently, and we've seen how that's worked time and time again with Marvel and Pixar. It's not a realistic fear.

Kingtheninja posted:

If they're going for a young Solo movie, then I'm guessing the episode 7 movie isn't going to have the old characters in it? I mean, you'd have an actor for young Han, then have him play older Han in episode 7? Or re-cast Han AGAIN? Both seem pretty poor decisions.

What? If Han is in Episode VII he'll be played by Harrison Ford. If Hammil was approached by Lucas about being in the films, then that means they're taking place that appropriate amount of time after VI. If there's a Han Solo film there will be a 20-something cast as Han. There's no way they'd recast Han for VII.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 7, 2013

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Aren't there already hours and hours of that in the Clone Wars show?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Supercar Gautier posted:

I've used some state-of-the-art facial analysis software to determine a shortlist of actors who resemble Han Solo closely enough to play him.

Well Arnold has returned to acting, I'd watch it. Hell, I'd celebrate it.

(I'm still pulling for JTT)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Longbaugh01 posted:

We're all wrong. It will be CGI Harrison Ford.

CGI River Phoenix.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Saul Goode posted:

The best thing about a Han Solo prequel is no Force, no Jedi and no lightsabers... unless it all happens behind his back or something.

"Han, I need you to smuggle this illegal shipment of lightsabers past these force-sensitive ex-Jedis."

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Nathan Fillion is a goddamn smarmy charm vacuum.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Right, because sequels very rarely contain the characters from the previous film.

If you thought that it wouldn't be a direct sequel, then you came into this whole thing with very unrealistic expectations. It's called Episode VII for a reason. It's right there in the title that it's a continuation of the story set up in the previous films.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
All major films are obvious cash grabs. It's why studios make movies. It's why studios like Disney purchase other studios like Lucasfilm, to make even more cash. Were you also angry when they announced sequels for other movies that made money?

You don't make a sequel to a 30+ year old franchise if you're looking to do something new and creative. You make something new and creative.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Ave Azaria posted:

It's a war story, and you can tell all sorts of good stories with that setting, but I think what makes the original films intriguing and mystical is that they're about a kid discovering magic that everyone thought was gone.

Honestly, thinking from this perspective really opens up my mind as to where the story should go. Stripping away all the aliens and spaceships, what personal journey would freedom-fighting veterans be on 30 years after the war ended?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

The problem with choosing a villain is that no matter who you pick / create, he'll be small potatoes compared to the Goddamned Emperor Of The Galaxy or Jet Black Warrior Robot.

The problem with that line of logic is that you don't have to go bigger to be as or more interesting. It's what 99% of EU writers failed to realize.

• Locked thread