Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
WOOOOOOOOOOOO this is pretty epic.

If you'd like to put my stream in the OP, it has some high level play as well as some competitive play in it for new people that are interested in the game.

http://twitch.tv/garfu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Re: some issues posted earlier in the thread,

The best way to raise your FPS is to turn down your resolution. I play on 1366 and it looks/feels great.

The long loading times are due to loading a map for the first time, it precaches a ton of stuff, these long loads won't happen again after it happens once. Also going in to some rooms on some maps will do the same thing, and be fine from that point out. When maps are changed between patches this will sometimes happen again.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

TychoCelchuuu posted:

When you turn the alien vision on you can't see people through walls if they're parasited. So really, if you want wallhax, leave it off. Another downside is that it removes situational awareness of lighting - you don't know how well you are hidden because you don't know what the map looks like to marines.

Thats not true, you can definitely see people through walls when they are parasited. There is no downside to using alien vision and you should always have it on as an alien unless you're gorging. If you want wallhax AND lambert, use it. Having alien vision on allows you to flail around as a skulk/fade and keep a lock on your target. And the key to being a good skulk/fade is flailing around while still landing all your bites.

edit: I guess the lighting awareness is a valid point but once you learn the maps and know the places to hide you should always have it on.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 31, 2012

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Maybe it's at range, then? I'm like 95% sure I've turned off alien vision to see a guy through the walls, then turned it back on and he has disappeared.

Seeing a parasite through walls has a range on it regardless of alienvision being on or not. I am 100% sure of this, leave it on :)

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Black_Plague22 posted:

How do the pros lerk? Every time I evolve lerk I feel like I'm going to break my spacebar just trying to maintain altitude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7wHiP0Zek0

I made that a while ago and it's kind of outdated but it definitely shows how you can maneuver. Remember it only takes 2 flaps to get to full speed, so you don't have to spam spacebar. Also a good discipline to learn is to get good at hoverstrafing after flying forwards. So you fly around with W+Spacebar, and then release W and keep flapping to start hovering, then use your strafe keys to strafe around a target. Oh yeah hold shift to glide/hover, you'll need to flap every so often when hovering though to keep altitude.

I'd suggest going into explore mode and flying around for a little bit first.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

BlueDestiny posted:

Man, this game is an absolute blast to play on both sides! It really is reliant on a commander who can communicate though.

Is it just me or is it really drat hard to find out where things are happening as aliens? I hear WARGLE UNDER ATTACK and have to pore over the map every time, a WP would be really handy.

Press C, a lot. You can see where action is happening easily. A blinking building means it's under attack. And any marines in view of one of your teammates will show up as a marine on the map.

edit: woops sorry for double

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Ramagamma posted:

Probably not. I've got the exact same problem. Except now it doesn't even let me get into the Ready Room, it just straight up timeouts on the loading screen.

Its really depressing that we as gamers have reached the point where products not working on day one is the standard.

I've played 900 hours of ns2 without any major problems. As have the majority of players. Relax, the game is great, have some patience and let us help troubleshoot, or post on the tech support forum. The team is working constantly to make the game better and more playable. The had people fixing bugs last night during their launch party.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

re: Fade blinking, currently the hitbox of a blinking fade is the size of a can of coke turned on it's side. This is a bug and will be fixed soon. Once that's fixed it will be much easier to hit blinking fades. You still do 100% damage currently it's just extremely hard to hit.

Also, I will be streaming for a while tonight at http://twitch.tv/garfu

And if you would like to see some fade play, watch the most recent video that is up on my twitch channel, it has ~50 kills as a fade in one of those matches.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

For people curious of tactics for skulking, lerking, fading, and marining, go ahead and watch this video http://www.twitch.tv/garfu/b/337623861

It's 3 hours long and covers every lifeform as well as marine play. Everything is also played a high level, so you can see the tactics involved with parasiting before a kill, or fade blinking. Skip through it until you get to the lifeform or marine thing you want and watch for a few minutes.

A good example of advanced fading starts at 3:08:00

Garfu fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Nov 1, 2012

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

There are a lot of really unbearable things about the way it currently works. If you're running across the roof and you orient your view one degree too far downward, you fall off the roof. If you're running on a wall and you turn one degree too far away from the wall, you fall off. This severely limits your effective FoV as any kind of wall-bound alien which makes the team completely unplayable for me. I do not want to fall off of a roof or wall unless I press a button to make me fall off the roof or wall. It's impossible to judge whether or not you are hidden behind something on the roof because I have no way of knowing how much of my body sticks out below me. The changes that I am asking for are the way that it worked in NS1 as far as I can remember (I only played when the mod was fairly new, so maybe they changed later on).

I completely disagree with everything you are saying and I am not new, so I'm hoping the more you play the more you will realize how intuitive and easy to learn it is. I emplore you to watch some videos of good skulks running around the walls and ceilings just to show how versatile it is. Also this problem of not sticking to the surface simply does not exist. you will learn to run at the correct angles that allow you to see everything around you as well as remain on the wall.

I know i keep linking my videos (sorry if this is getting annoying) but i think you should take a look at this http://www.twitch.tv/garfu/b/337623861 skip to 1:25:46, and watch how the skulk uses the walls/ceilings to his advantage.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 1, 2012

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Hey I just won a mouse last weekend playing this game sooo....

Also regarding competitive play: they are flying the 2 EU finalists from last weekends tourney to Cologne, Germany to play live at the ESL headquarters for big prizes.

The game has been out for 2 days.

I'm a competitive player and I think they are doing a great job with the competitive community.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 1, 2012

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Double click to select all similar units on screen, that's a good one.

edit: this exists I mean

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Regarding marine turtling when they have already clearly lost and gorge's bilebombing: Gorge's bilebombing is THE WAY to end a turtle. In the beta this was widely known, and widely used, however now with the new players lacking the skill and know how to effectively use a gorge to end a turtle, turtling is a problem.

In the beta, once the game was lost for the marines and they had one base left, there were a number of ways to end the game, however the most popular was gorge bilebombing. You simply needed to scrounge together 3 gorges with carapace, silence, and adrenaline, run into the marine base with an onos (or even by themselves when the marines were off trying to take territory back, or not paying attention), and jump around in circles around the CC and spam bile bomb. It also worked with spamming the IPs, or the arms lab. It is crazy simply to keep 3 gorges alive long enough while jumping around spastically to put enough damage with bile bomb into one of these structures.

I could go into any server right now with a buddy and end a marine turtle like that easily.

A common tactic was for the alien commander to build a shift outside of their spawn, and then make gorge eggs from the shift eggs, so the players would automatically spawn into then. Then all it takes is one person to yell to the team to run in and bilebomb.

You can get around armory blocks as a gorge, and even if you can, you can bilebomb armories down in seconds with 2-3 gorges. You can also run up the sides of robotics factories with any lifeform, including marines.

Games with marine turtling would rarely last longer than 5 minutes past the turtle point. The games that took over 30 minutes usually had back and forth fighting and base swapping and were pretty epic. Now with these turtles you get artificially long games that in a month will not exist. I don't see this as a problem and I doubt UWE would.

Edit: completely unrelated, if you're bored at work or something and have 50 minutes to waste, this is an absolutely amazing 50 minute marine comeback win on veil: http://www.twitch.tv/garfu/b/337756139 it starts at 2:10:00. I have some ridiculousjetpack escapes on this one.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 3, 2012

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

octoroon posted:

Holy poo poo, man, this is an absolutely amazing video. The part where you're fighting literally half of the opposing team in double res including a Fade and actually winning? Suffice to say there are some incredible moments. Anyone who has a little bit too much free time on their hands ought to watch this.

Haha yeah, that's at 2:51:00

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Oh hey look, here's a good way to break a marine turtle: http://www.twitch.tv/garfu/b/337971620 skip to 48:00

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

The UI DOES work exactly like Starcrafts, did you even try doing the things you're saying? There ARE control groups. CTRL+1-5 sets a control group. Double click selects all similar items on screen. Right-clicking sets waypoints and tells your selected units where to go. When you have a marine elected and you right click, it pops up little waypoints for them to follow and audibly tells them to go there. Just because you don't know how to use it doesn't make the UI trash. I think it is very simple and very good.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Press c, or look at the map in the lower left corner.

Also you can cancel anything by clicking cancel.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Siroc posted:

When marine commanding, is there any icon or visual ping that occurs when players ask for ammo, health, or orders? I hear audio of the requests when commanding, but I have to go to the map and check every single player group individually. Is there any direction?

They kind of broke this on the release patch, but you can click the banners on the right side to snap to whomever made the request. At the moment you have to click all over the banner to get the right spot, but that will be fixed. You also used to be able to press spacebar and it would take you to the most recent request, but they broke that at some point too.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 5, 2012

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

AegisP posted:

It affects marines already in the field? I thought when an arms lab was destroyed that existing marines retained the bonuses but new spawning ones didn't and figured Vortex worked the same way.

Yep if the arms lab is destroyed, all upgrades, even on marines in the field, are rendered null. If you're having difficulty breaking a marine base, it's a good idea to try to stealthly take down their arms lab to make it easier for your fades and onos to wipe them out. This is also why it's a good idea for marines to build an extra arms lab or 2 in a secluded spot (or another base) in the late game, just in case there's a rush on your main base.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

It doesn't work on powernodes, but a great tactic is to kill the power node and then have a fade keep vortex up in front of it so it can't be repaired by marines, further sealing your victory.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

octoroon posted:

From what I've seen, successfully taking down a power node in a base gives you something like a ~75% chance of winning right then regardless. If Fades are up and their IPs are unpowered, they don't stand much of a chance. But maybe with really top-tier players that isn't quite so certain.

A lot of times a skulk or 2 will take down the base powernode without the marines realizing it. Then the marines would kill the skulks and what would have been a game ending power loss is spoiled. If there's an aware fade in the area they can keep the power down indefinitely until more backup arrives to wipe the team. This happened a lot in the beta with more aware players.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

I'm going to be streaming later, so for all the people that keep asking about tactics or how to play a certain lifeform, come in IRC (and then eventually in my twitch channel /garfu) and you can make requests and I'll do my best to show you how to play. I'll probably start around 9est.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

RadicalWall posted:

I'm curious your own feelings on hive evolution order if you could.

In pubs: If you go quick hive, it's leap, crag, carapace, shift, celerity, bunch of other upgrades, then shade. If you go harvesters + upgrades, its shift, celerity, leap, crag, carapace, everything, shade.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Not to mention the guy alt tabs when he switches to the alien side and his alt key gets stuck so for the entire alien overview he's stuck crouchwalking thus making the gorge move 1mph and the skulk can't climb walls and the lerk can't fly. Half of his video review is borked. loving idiot.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Alright, I'm streaming again at http://twitch.tv/garfu

edit: Sorry, my connection is messed up right now or something, stream is all choppy.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 6, 2012

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

It is extremely important to use parasite in the early game. If you've seen me play, I always land a parasite before I go in for a 2 bite kill. This is a very important skill/tactic. Later in the game it doesn't matter as much because of the marine armor, but it is still a good idea to parasite marines so you can see them on the map, it's just not necessary to parasite them as you're going in for the kill. By the time leap comes out I use my energy for leaping, not parasite, only in regards to going in for kills. If I spot a marine far away I will still parasite them, regardless of leap.

edit: It used to be cured with a med pack. I kind of liked that because it forced the commander to drop a medpack on you and use res. The armory wouldn't heal it so you were forever parasited unless you medpacked.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Can't be seen anywhere on the map? what? Press C?

Parasite is useful, every good player uses it.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Zigmidge posted:

Not what I mean, and hell no. This game looks gorgeous at max and I have flawless performance.

It's like Nuclearmonkee said, people use flashlights and start giving themselves away. It's probably useful when you're in the room as the power goes out, they all know you're there anyways.

If the skulk isn't using alien vision (which makes it so you can't see flashlights anyway) than you really don't have to worry about being given away. Because bad skulk.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Yes, roleplay comms are the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltHb4T3nK6E

I wish I recorded his schwarzenegger impression. Spot on.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Captain Beans posted:

I played a game with this guy yesterday and it was amazing. He almost drops the accent when he gets really excited which actually led the marines to play better because we were trying really hard to do amazing poo poo so we could bust him on coming out the of the accent.

Not as good as announcer jim in CS though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aOL4MGkH1w

Or Coach Johns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyoTuL2vewg

I'd suggest watching all of his videos.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

What's the best way for a fade to blink into a vent that's off the ground? If I'm not mistaken you need to crouch to enter vents as a fade, but pressing the crouch key while blinking drops you straight to the ground. This has led to me dying in a way that was probably hilarious to the marine after me. :(

You can blink through the air crouched and go right into vents, but yes, for vents close to the ground you can crouch first and use double jump.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Brackhar posted:

What are people's current opinions on lerks? I love playing with them and, now that the hit reg has been fixed, feel they're a pretty good balance between harass ability and toughness. I will say though that I think for the current balance level they're probably 5 res more expensive than they should be. I'd love to see their cost cut to 25 for both evolving and egging and see how that goes, 'cause right now it's very very risky to go lerk before you get your second hive up with carapace. Since they're intended to be an evolution available strategically at one hive a res cut would be useful imo.

I love the lerk right now and find it very effective even without carapace near the beginning of the game. Once shotguns come out you have to be a little more careful. I usually always go lerk now on pubs until I need to go fade/onos so we can win. Check out the latest vod on my twitch for why I love lerks.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

The Dome is a very strategic phase gate location between Pipeline and Cargo.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Most of us are pretty sure UWE will implement 3rd hive tres onos if not his patch, then the next.

There was a ton of criticism given to Charlie in person at the EU event last weekend.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

For clarification, both the dome and the neck are clearly marked on the map.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

I think the regen change would be awesome IF it was coupled with the 3rd hive onos change. Regen makes early game aliens a LOT stronger now and a LOT more effective. With the quick onos now at 7 minutes (if you get regen first) it seems aliens are too strong.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

the Gaffe posted:

Also, hello goons! I don't think I've actually posted in the thread before. I've been playing on the server.

I recognize your name from earlier tonight. Thems were some fun games. You were always on the other team though so maybe not.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

My server "Garfu's Pub Stomp" is also a goon friendly server, and Kerpal and some of the other admins will have admin there (just pm me your steamID on IRC so I can get you added). It's also hosted by ns2servers.com so it's the same quality and whatnot. I may just end up renaming it to NS2Goons #2 or something.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

RadicalWall posted:

I think if you named it NS2Goons #2 you'd probably get all the roll over and be full all the time.

This is a good thing.

It's usually full anyways, I was just reminding people we have admins there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

There's an official show match starting in 5 minutes at http://twitch.tv/naturalselection2

My team is playing against All-In

It's like a marketing match sponsored by UWE and casted by the pro casters, or something. Come check it out.

• Locked thread