Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat
For all those having performance issues try these things:

1. Update your drivers (doing this increased my performance massively)

2. If you're running an nvidia card create a profile for ns2 (if there isn't one already there) and make sure it is set to use your graphics card (sometimes it isn't and will try and run the game off of your motherboards graphics card if you have one). Also set your graphics card to maximum performance on this profile (sometimes, for some reason, at least with previous builds, ns2 wouldn't use the GPU fully but this might be a non issue with the retail release).

3. Switch off Vsync, max out your monitors refresh rate (or buy a 120hz monitor because they are awesome)

4. Reduce your resolution, turn off all the bells and whistles (aa, ambient occlusion, shadows, etc.) and slap on multicore rendering and the texture thingy (I forget what it's called - texture preloading?)

5. Something to remember is that, as others have pointed out, on your first time playing new maps the load time will be quite high as it precaches loads of stuff. It will also do this whilst playing the map and you might get some hitching every now and then. After this first time the maps should run smoothly and the load times should be good.

One more thing; bring up the console (with `) and type in r_stats 1. This will show your fps and how much your CPU or GPU are struggling. What you should be paying attention to are the two top lines which have GPU ms and the ms by the fps. The first is how much your CPU is bottlenecking the game, the second is how much your GPU is bottlenecking it.

If your GPU ms is high, and your performance is bad, you might be GPU bound (or it could be a driver issue). If your first one is high then you might be CPU bound.

I run this game at max settings at around 80-100ish fps as a marine and maybe 60-80ish as an alien. I get maybe 1 to 2 GPU ms in fights, and maybe 10 or so CPU ms, but it's still really smooth.

My specs are i7-965, 4GB RAM, Geforce 560ti

Hope this helps someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat

Liku posted:

So what could it possibly be then which him on the better CPU?

If it's the same thing I get/used to get I think it's the pre-caching thing going on. Just keep playing and then, hopefully, it should sort itself out after a bit of time. You might need to reload the game though. Try playing a full round on a particular map then close the game and try to play it again later on the same map and see if that helps. For me it's really annoying and I hope it gets sorted out because with any new patch the first hour or so is spent with frustrating freezes, but with otherwise good fps.

• Locked thread