Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AgentF
May 11, 2009
This screenshot reminds me strongly of NS1. Probably because building in a hive was more common then and this location reminds me somewhat of Mother in ns_nancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentF
May 11, 2009

RadicalWall posted:

Yeah, I've actually been meaning to turn it off but just haven't gotten around to it. It does feel kind of unfair now that they glow like christmas lights.

Oh, there's no "kind of" about it. They need to have a good think about their policy towards mods, because as far as I see it there will always be a trade-off between customisability and ensuring a level playing field.

Maybe "developer approved" tag that UW can give mods they approve of, and servers can choose to allow any mods or just approved ones.

Brackhar posted:

Man, I really really hate NS2_Veil. The double res node placements just don't work at all as well here as they did in NS1, and the game really just devolves into who can successfully control double res. It's horrible, which is made doubly worse by it being one of my favorite NS1 maps. :smith:

This is a map that really needs more res points than just double and the hives. If you start at Cargo it's a huge pain in the arse to spread to Pipe or Sub. Its marginally better that a Sub hive can try for Overlook and a Pipe hive can try for C-12, but there honestly needs to be a res node near Waypointing or The Dome or something.

AgentF fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 19, 2012

AgentF
May 11, 2009
What makes you say that? I haven't noticed any strong imbalances as of late.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Puistokemisti posted:

So basically only role GLs have is "once defenseswhips have been removed, you can use GL to destroy hiveeverything else slightly faster than Flamer".

You seem to think that whips are omnipresent. They're expensive! Enough that Alien comm won't just drop them as a reflex, and commonly will just forget to. You said it yourself that it's the purpose of the whip to be a counter to GLs. Just have your teammates focus fire the whip first, then lob grenades.

Similarly, the flamethrower doesn't fulfil the same role as the GL due to its limited range. You can lob grenades to extreme distances and over barriers. I pretty much always find a good use for a GL whenever I buy one.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

YOURFRIEND posted:

Because the aliens have four?

So should the marines have infestation because the aliens have it? Should they be able to climb up the walls because the aliens can?

Marines are supposed to have an emphasis on teamwork. It's part of the asymmetry. They're capability for solo-ing is more limited than for the aliens, by design.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

quote:

Changed combat timeout to 4 seconds.
Anyone know what this means?

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Jetpacks really ought to be 15 res. Maybe 20. I'd consider a JP+SG on par with an exo in terms of usefulness.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
I suggested the idea before of tying the tres onos to two mature hives. Does anyone know how long it roughly takes to have two hives at full maturity?

Alternatively the game could provide more useful things the alien comm can do with spare res. The last game I played I was spreading Shades all over the map and supporting pushes with inking and fake units. It still felt like I was spinning the wheel instead of being amazingly useful, and I didn't feel like dropping Fade eggs would accomplish much.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

TheSpiritFox posted:

Huh. Now NS2 goons doesn't show up for me. I guess it's not updated yet and I wasn't updated earlier or something.

:Edit:

I think it's time for me to stop playing on "Rookie Friendly" servers...

I was going to build a shift but I ran out of room.

When the game is about to end and I've spread infestation all over the marine base, I start to build a garden of all sorts of alien structures, even research structures, anything to create a diverse and aesthetic habitat. I don't build Shades, though, because they hide this beautiful landscape from the marines.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
I've always disapproved of the argument of "X seems unstoppable" whenever X is something that's relatively hard to get. I've had plenty of games be effectively over before any aliens have a chance to reach 75 res. If you're facing down a team full of Onosses, then part of the blame is on your team for not restricting the aliens' economy before this could happen. Likewise, if you're aliens banging your heads against a marine expansion all game and then Exos show up and kill everyone, maybe you should have had some guys bite res nodes instead.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
This NS2HD video shows the aliens being res-locked by having their only extractor killed early and not having the res to drop a new one. Hugh argues that, in this case, the Marines have a responsibility to not drag out the game. It sounds like the courteous thing to do, but I wonder if there should be an in-game mechanism to handle this scenario?

What do you think? Have hives generate a trickle of res? Implement res-for-kills? Allow aliens to recycle? How can aliens be expected to play once they are res locked?

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Last week I did maybe a dozen gassing runs around Data Core with marines trying to shoot me down and being distracted by other harassing units. They had shotguns and everything, it was stupid how successful at evasion I was and how much disruption I was causing.

It's important to not judge a lifeform by how many kills it can get. This is the game where you can contribute significantly to your team without being good at twitch shooting. Force multipliers and sudden opportunities abound.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
The downside is that it might encourage players voting to F4 at the drop of a hat. I've had players suggest we F4 after losing the first few firefights against skulks. It can get pretty stupid.

Meanwhile I've played dozens of games over both NSs where we fight back from a single hive/chair and go on to win the game. When players suggest F4-ing I've taken to exhorting them to NEVER GIVE UP! NEVER GIVE IN! WON'T STOP BELIEVING 'CAUSE WE'RE GONNA WIN!

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Don't think a welder would help if the marines are dying when they respawn and when they return to base. It's basically you killing the entire team and stopping their recovery.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
How long until some dick with a flamethrower came and ruined it?

AgentF
May 11, 2009
RPS article about NS2.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
We were stomping the marines and they were bemoaning their ability to deal with my Onos, so I agreed to walk peacefully into their base and become their pet. About half the marines didn't shoot at me but the rest of them did and despite my pacifist displays and protesting stomps I was gradually put down like Old Yeller. My team then repaid the humans' belligerent ways by destroying their base.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Marines are assaulting hive 2 and it's down to 30% with little hope of rescue when it finishes building. Can anything worthwhile be done with this hive while it is still alive?

AgentF
May 11, 2009
If you are cloaked, an observatory will uncloak you passively if you are in its vicinity. Regardless, good skulks with cloaking can control the map since the marines can't build observatories everywhere, and the 3-res cost of scanning repeatedly adds up to too much.

It used to be that moving slowly would make you partially visible. I was happy with that, since it meant you couldn't walk in a beeline to a marine across open floor, but you could still get the drop on him if you were up high and in shadows and knew when to halt. If they want to make cloak-walking totally invisible then I feel that the marines need something to help mitigate its effects, without compromising the choice of evolving cloaking too much.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
What is the % speed boost of celerity, anyway?

AgentF
May 11, 2009
I've found camo vastly useful for a lerk. I can do rapid escapes just far enough to get out of sight and essentially reset my ambush. Either the comm wastes res by scanning for me, or I pull off 3-4 ambushes against the same marines in one engagement, getting more kills than I would have otherwise.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Back when most players were green I'd see all the old regulars giving advice and new players not afraid to ask for it. Now that everyone's white it's harder to tell which players need help and which don't.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
The loss of mobility from getting in an exo is brutal, and the increase in firepower/survivability doesn't seem to be worth it. How about if there was a very expensive beacon (25 res or so) that can recall all marines including exos?

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Don't read the UWE forums if you don't want to be depressed at the sheer amount of whinging capable by human beings. Complaints about everything imaginable, people talking about NS2 as though the playerbase has already died off, people writing resounding condemnations of the game using arguments such as "the grenade launcher isn't satisfying". gently caress's sake.

Also this stupidity:

quote:

Let's look @ the game for a second first.

Settings: space-station / spaceship / industrial complex
situation: contact lost, crews missing, marines to investigate

So basically the game is an reenactment of James Cameron's 1984 blockbuster "Aliens" and yet the NS2 maps don't reflect anything remotely like it. All the lights are still on, there are no dead bodies lying around, no blood staines, hardly any knocked over furnitures, no bullet holes, no signs of struggle what so ever prior to the marines' arrival. NS2 should have the exact same atmosphere as Dead Space, but it doesn't. Even NS1 had more atmospheric maps, remember ns_bast, ns_nothing, ns_machina, ns_ayumi? And what happen to those eery music and ambient noise we had back in the NS1 days? Remember the deep chimes? The sound of metal grinding in the distance?

Please UWE, work on it!!!

AgentF
May 11, 2009

:frogon:

AgentF
May 11, 2009
As someone who believes in the power of clever Gorging, I always try to pay attention to what Rantology is doing over the course of the game. That forward base at the end of the first game was neat.

Edit: Alien res-lock ends the second game.

AgentF fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 3, 2012

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Nothing is worse than catching a shotty blast in the face and losing a 30 res investment :(

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Guesticles posted:

gently caress buffing them, there needs to be an onos counter that isn't "massed LMG fire from 6 marines"

I like that LMGs, while being under-effective against heavily upgraded skulks and fades, still finds a use in the endgame at bringing down Onosses. It gives the game a bit of cyclical elegance where the accuracy of the LMG, not so important when a skulk is in your grill, becomes important at damaging large targets at range. As a skulk you don't fear the LMG because other weapons will kill you just as dead and your life is expendable. As a 75-res monster, though, you fear the groups of lv3 LMGs and avoid charging/escaping through long hallways as much as possible.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Ain't gonna help you in Cargo (veil), Cave (mineshaft) or Atrium (summit).

AgentF
May 11, 2009
You can set up a decent defense at the entrances to Cargo but once a breach is made big enough for jp-ers to squeeze through then you're toast. Just a bit of focus fire on the clogs (or a gl) and then marines can dash through the skulk/hydra gauntlet and find safe places inside Cargo no worries.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Might give you a bit of a starker silhouette against the background through.

Edit: Sorry, I was thinking of Lerks flying. JPers should be in the middle of hallways, no doubt.

AgentF fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Dec 6, 2012

AgentF
May 11, 2009

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Was anyone watching the tournament on the NS2 twitch channel? Judging from twitter something crazy happened and the game tied or something.

It was a chair/hive race and both were destroyed at pretty much the same time. No "<someone> wins" text appeared and everyone just ended up in the ready room with no clear winner. The hosts talked about the possibility that both tech points were destroyed in the same tick and so it was the first draw. I don't know how long a tick is but although it was pretty close I'm certain that one of them was destroyed a good quarter-second before the other.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Didn't think marines could start at Deposit on Mineshaft.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Dave Mustard posted:

Are any sales going on right now? What's the cheapest place to pick up NS right now?

Give me your Steam details and I'll give it to you for free.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Dave Mustard posted:

Well you're a drat swell guy, http://steamcommunity.com/id/clownpenis
How's that? Thanks

Merry Skulkmas! Here's to you shooting/biting an alien/human in the face/crotch. NS2 is a great game and the more players on servers the better.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

whiskas posted:

This. Hold the shift key for free silence. And even then if a marine is smart enough to look behind themselves every few seconds your silence becomes useless. Silence is one of those late-late game upgrades.

You have to realise the difference between slow silence and full-speed silence. Being able to reposition yourself quickly without giving the game away is very useful. Also it gives the marine far less opportunities to check behind himself. Maybe not an immediate upgrade to grab, but I wouldn't call it late game.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Zigmidge posted:

If I don't hear "Zig, keep doing what you're doing" it usually means my comm is bad.

Is your comm saying that in a resigned, patronising manner? The other alternative is that you really love yourself.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
It's not terrible to be a skulk all the time. Skulk all you want. The key to being good is to know where your team needs you to be. Running around aimlessly killing marines may benefit your team, but there might be something else you could be doing that's better.

Whenever you spawn, hit C and examine the map. Are the marines pushing something you need to defend? Is there an attack you should join? Are the marines too preoccupied to stop you from going on an extractor hunt? Let the current situation guide your actions.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Torpor posted:

Gorges really need extra stuff to do, more buildings to build etc. Maybe the ability to re-position buildings. Like if your base is falling the gorges can pick up and carry out the upgrades.

I can't bring myself to beleive this anymore. I spend probably more time as a Gorge than even as a Skulks and I've always got things to do. I fortify critical areas, I build up extra hives, I support attacks with healing, I do bilebomb suicide runs on marine outposts, I defend forward healing outposts, I follow Onosses around the map. It seems like there's always something useful to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentF
May 11, 2009
I'm trying to imagine how this would look visually and I can't think of a method that doesn't look kinda stupid.

How about a Road Runner style vent, obviously painted against a solid wall yet miraculously allowing aliens to enter?

• Locked thread