Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AgentF
May 11, 2009
This latest patch is beautiful, I cannot believe how silky smooth the game is now. I went from 12-15 fps to around 30-40. I can't believe I can play my favourite game with a modicum of skill now. Before I never used to understand why I died so often as a skulk; now I know.

It's seriously like a new game for me, and this was a game I loved when it played like poo poo (let's not even talk about the beta). Bring on the balance patch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentF
May 11, 2009
They used to have drifters build structures but it was finicky since for a decent forward base you had to build like 5-6 drifters one by one and order them to the front lines and hope they actually make it there and then order them to build one by one and hope they actually settled down into a building.

Not the worse thing in the world but less user-friendly than *plonk* *plonk* *plonk*.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Just played maybe 4 games of alien comm in a row. A lot of changes to get used to, originally the biomass system threw me for a loop. Figured out how to do everything now but still need to learn how to use it all properly. For example I kept building new forward bases instead of just advancing the old one. I reached some sort of command cap, which made me want to spawn more overlords.

Sort of missing the old drifters but I can understand the new ones. They're actually pretty cool when you have several hive types and the drifters can advance with your raids and just poo poo upgrades all over your aliens.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Isn't that good, though? I never used to see either of those guns and now there seems to be more variety in what marines are shooting.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
That's when you begin the vote to randomise the ready room.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
69 minute game last night. We must have destroyed Monorail like 3-4 times. Post your longests.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Dyz posted:

I'm loving the new grenades. If a gate is under attack, pop through and throw a grenade at your feet and boom, the skulks or whatever have to clear the gate even if you die.

What was old is new again.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
I can't have fun with this game anymore. It runs like poo poo and I'm tired of dying when my FPS drops to like 15 whenever I get close to someone. Marines are impossible to hit these days with their acrobat bullshit and maybe I could possibly land a bite on them if this game ran better but it just doesn't.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
My post was really just venting but you make a good point.

It must be said that UWE really put in a very good effort and the game is very pretty, and that really they should be recognised for the achievements they made in pursuing their own engine. But in all honesty unless you have Carmack on your team you probably shouldn't be building an engine from scratch anyway. Existing engines build on years of performance improvements for rendering, memory management, netcode, etc, whereas Spark is replete with rough edges. My favourite alt-history hypothetical is if UWE had stuck with Source for making NS2 (I can't remember what it was that they said Source couldn't offer). It could have shaved years off of development time, NS2 would have run much smoother and we'd possibly be anticipating the release of NS3 by now.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

KracKiwi posted:

Great, now when can I build gorge tunnels on top of terminal again? :(

Excellent when you have 1-3 other gorges with you with adrenaline and phantom and you dismantle the base in seconds. Not so excellent when some moron hops out of your tunnel and starts making noise and running back to it with marines watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentF
May 11, 2009
How do you mean?

• Locked thread