Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
re:Xaris
Ignited aliens regen energy at 60% of their normal rate, so it can help reduce hit and runs or require gorge support to put the fire out. It's great to have one in a cluster of marines! It also burns away POISON LERK FOG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Gorges used to be the de-facto commanders of the alien team in NS1, now the building placement has been placed on two sets of slimy shoulders. Typically, when I attempted to alien-comm, I would go Crag first because it's a great way to set up very hardy defenses if you work intimately with your gorge-ouses. Pop down a few crags, usually near a res-node and have them hydra up near those choke points. I feel like this is the most natural synergy in buildings and causes the marines to consider weapon upgrades instead of armor upgrades to break 2crag+gorge+3hydra points.

I don't consider myself a good comm, but I rarely see any alien comms spamming nutrient mist on the creep to help their aliens out or rupturing cysts when marines push-hard.

In almost no circumstances, unless playing with a group, would I choose Stealth first.

At least with Energy you have the option to make an emergency nursery since the structure can spawn eggs around it... and adren compliments gorge efforts.

Yes, I agree that gorges in and of themselves, have a reduced role now, but if you can actually work with your commander or your gorgeous it can be more or less the same.
(it doesnt always happen. Pilot_Error as usual. Some of the horror stories I've seen are pretty amusing/depressing)

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
So, to all the fade players out there (I'm terrible at fade and feel like I'm re-learning the game from scratch. It's the same atmosphere but feels totally new to me from NS1 on all gameplay fronts..)

How many of you use Vortex?
-It can disable a Marine structure for a short time (like 3 seconds?)
-It can take a Marine out of combat, like devour I guess, but balanced so it isn't pretty much a free kill
How many of you actually request Vortex?

I could see it being used to support a final push, putting the Fade on the observatory to deliberately vortex the observatory when the buzzer sounds. I assume you CAN interrupt the beacon because power going down can interrupt it.
E: If power is still up on the observatory, the beacon will continue to go through, only delaying the beacon.

I could see it being used during the initial push, vortexing the Arms Lab (most marine teams only spend cash on one), to reduce the marines to 0/0 upgrades for a short burst.

Could see it used on phase gates while pushing a forward base to buy a lot of time to kill a power node too. So what are your thoughts on Vortex? Does it just come too late in the tech tree to be useful or what?

Erata fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Nov 14, 2012

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Brackhar posted:

You do not build faster with the welder except for destroyed power nodes, in which case it is vastly superior. What it does do when building a structure is it will increase the health of the structure at the same time that you're building it. This will cause some of the visual feedback to look like you're building the structure faster, but in aggregate it still takes the same amount of time to finish the structure with a welder than without. It's generally preferable to build with a welder since it makes the structure stronger should it get attacked half-way through construction, but it's more of a perk than a distinct gameplay advantage.

Got bored, so I tested it out for like 15 minutes. The welder does build faster than normal-building. Like. Only around 10% faster though. In terms of time to build, it translates to about 2 seconds faster for constructing Commander-Couches and 1 seconds, heh, faster for almost all other structures.

I wish the wiki had this information out there, but it doesn't so there you go.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
I really wish they would put more emphasis on defensive structures (hydras and sentries) but understand why they don't want to any more since it caused games to drag on.

The only real solution defensively is to try to convince a couple people to patrol opposite sides of the map and wait until they hear munching skulks and sneak up on them for usually easy kills.

Offensively, the solution is to do the same thing to the aliens by attacking their harvesters in turn as well as a few cysts. The cost of cysts eventually adds up if your marines fail to pressure them back into the hive, but succeed in attacking the infestation network while killing the alien harvesters. Even if you are losing your own extractors, you'll be keeping an even footing on the economic side, meaning the buffer for misuing personal resources on each team is the same.

Welders can go a long way to disrupting attacks on your economy.

If you are playing in the same server, then take into consideration the performance of the players if you can, and take into account a foreseen cost of constantly rebuilding those extractors vs the cost of early sentries so that they continue to produce a buffer for errors in backlogged resources.

On maps with a double res-node, a lot of teams will single mindedly push for the double-node while ignoring the two nodes flanking their initial base, or even secondary nodes that they would normally get along side the coveted double node.

Finally, as ever, be prepared to fail in pubs. You get dealt a crap hand no matter how good you might be at the game.

• Locked thread