Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

Gunder posted:

Is there any reason for an alien to ever turn off their night vision? It's basically a quake era vision hack without the see-through walls part.

As was mentioned, lighting awareness. In addition to not being aware of the power state of a room, you don't see marine's flashlights in alien vision. You also miss out on how how awesome everything looks.

I think skulk eyes also glow when its enabled; can anyone confirm/debunk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

Skulk 3, Xenocide, makes you explode, where you do lots of damage to everything around you.

Lerk has gas abilities: Spore and umbra. Spore (green) does damage to non-Exo'ed marines if they enter your cloud. Umbra (yellow) protects aliens in the cloud, I don't know the exact protective effect it has in NS2.

I wasn't sure if Xenocide/Umbra are active in the game yet.

edit:

voltron lion force posted:

What do the clots that Gorges put down do? Make the creep expand faster?

Clots are obstructions. They can be used as cover, to block doors/halls, or both.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

octoroon posted:

I actually think this is intended, and it's a good balance choice. Exosuits are meant to be weaker if they aren't supported. During one of the casts or streams or interviews I think Charlie mentioned that he hadn't exactly anticipated exos being weak against skulks, but once it happened, he really liked it.

I like it, too. Exos are already designed to require support in the form of weld-trains, so it just means the weld-trains will also need to be somewhat proficient and cleaning up skulks. I think it worked out rather well. The only real balance issue with exos is that they are close to useless in competitive play because jetpacks scale so well with skill and exos are almost always too expensive to be a good choice.

the only problem I have with Exos being easy for aliens to counter is how difficult Onos is to counter for marines, for the same res. I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of regeneration ability for Exos as long as they are in a powered room. Or the ability to climb out of an exo and weld it yourself.

I miss my HA and HMG/JP combo.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

But see, now that they've taken out bunnyhopping, there is nothing that separates them from the newbies!

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I really think flame throwers should be able to hit blinking fades.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

Demitri Omni posted:

I think anything should be able to hit blinking Fades. The blink mechanic just seems off-kilter balance-wise right now.

I think if they could be hit by anything mid-blink they would need a buff to health/armor, as fades do need a way to bug out. It would be nice there was some way to differentiate a "retreating" and "attacking" blink, and have the retreating blink be immune.

Mainly, I say only flamers because they are a great fade counter, and I think making it so they could hit blinking fades would really solidify that. It would also let you hit an advancing fade, reducing their effective time, or when used against a retreating fade low on energy, maybe cause them to drop out of blink where teammates could finish them off.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

Yeah, same. I've shot blinking fades/being shooting where they reappear, and it doesn't seem to do poo poo.

And I guess the few times I go fade (I'm a lovely fade so its usually better for me to save for onos if we're winning/holding or go gorge if a hive is getting hit) I never closely watched my HP/Armor during a blink.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

Lurking291230 posted:

Yeah, it's like the Alien vs. Predator game we all wanted in the first place.

To clarify, I actually like this game. I know that sounded like sarcasm.

That could be fun, a 1-person predator team. You get points for killing people with the highest KtD ratios.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

Downward Spiral posted:

People have already pointed out that we're not talking about the same thing. Air acceleration was a big part of things being fun. Players back then would literally spend their idle time pre-game, post-game, ready-room or on an empty server at 2 in the morning just cruising around maps because it was just that loving neat. It had a few practical advantages but didn't exactly make you great by default - it was just much more pleasurable than holding +forward or mashing jump from walls will ever be.

I am sorry your favorite glitch was not implemented, and you are being forced to suffer the indignities of no longer being able to move around the map any faster than someone with a green name.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

Zigmidge posted:

He's talking about the joys of playing around with interesting movement systems. There's really no need for your douchebag reply.

Wall-jumping, shadow step, Lerk, belly slide... yup, no interesting movement systems to play with in NS2.

Downward Spiral made some understandable points (key binds, minimap, sprite size), which are fine, and there's not much point arguing the proper size of a waypoint sprite.
But complaining about the removal of physics glitches, and then bitching about competitive play being poo poo on, just says "I'm unhappy I don't have an undocumented/underdocumented advantage over new players anymore".

Splicer put it pretty well

Splicer posted:

It's the complaint that said movement method be an exact recreation of a glitch that they spent years getting very good at exploiting that turns it from a genuine opinion to someone complaining that they have to learn a new thing and be on the same level as the scrubs for a while.

NS2 is different and that's scary. I'm still not completely sold on things like alien commander, no HMG other than on Exo, the way ARCs are implemented (e.g. pathing), and the new gorge role. But these things don't prevent me from playing or enjoying the game, and I'm interested in seeing how they refine these systems and add new ones. NS1.3 was different from NS1.0, but it was always fun.

Guesticles fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 1, 2012

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

VarXX, I think you mean "lowered the floor". Edit: In the post before.

Obiter dictum posted:

Oh hey look, another person pulling bullshit out of his rear end. Just because you have some illiterate-level prejudice against a certain gameplay mechanic, doesn't mean it wasn't actually a fundamental part of gameplay, as intended by the developers.

The facts are, that bunnyhopping was deliberately left in the game (NS1) by the developers to help balance marine vs. skulk gameplay. They even improved it over the default HL1 implementation (removed the max speed cap which would cause you to lose all your extra speed if you exceeded it).

The only "interesting movement system" in NS2, that weren't also included in NS1, are vastly inferior to the movement mechanics which are no longer present in NS2.

I'm not saying skill based movement is a bad thing. I don't think anyone is. What I am saying is that non-intuitive skill based movement is a bad thing and exploiting a glitch is not a mechanic. Bunnyhopping filled a 'we need a way to give skulks a movement advantage' problem with no real coding needed, so I'm not decrying Bunny hopping in NS1.
I am saying that now that they are using a different engine, maybe, just maybe, skulk acceleration should be implemented so that in way that doesn't require binding jump to your mouse wheel.

At current, wall jumping is pretty rough and has a way to go, I don't think that's really up for debate.

Anyway, that's enough getting mad about videogames for me. I'm taking Zigmidge's advice and not arguing about things that won't be in NS1.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

Brackhar posted:

Probably not. It's not explained in any tips (I believe) or exposed in recent videos, and with the removal of the sound effect it makes it tougher to organically discover it as well.

I'm pretty sure I saw a walljump tooltip. I might be hallucinating, though.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

Megaflare posted:

You can heal yourself with your spray. In my opinion, almost no reason to take regen over carapace as a Gorge.

I'm not sure how relevant to NS2, but basically if you are going bile-battle gorge and will be getting picked at by turrets. More energy for bile. But your assessment is correct, its only for very niche cases.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

Arrath posted:

My one complaint so far, I can't get my mic to work.

Works fine for skype, vent, ts, steam chat, every other game I've tried.. just not NS. Frustrating.

I had to replace my mic (sort of unrelated to NS; The mic was broken on my headset, but I'd have given no shits if not for NS) and when I was troubleshooting, I noticed the lack of in-game voice tweaking. The... whatcha call it, the thing that gives you an idea of your mic volume would be nice.

edit: New mic works fine, Logitech Wireless H600

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

Ecco the Dolphin posted:

I played a few games last night, as someone who hasn't played since NS1 waaaay back. Having tons of fun, but some of the changes confuse me.

Why did they move aliens to the commander system? It seems like splitting tech/support between commander and gorge really dilutes the role/usefulness of each. Alien commander seems to have a much more linear role than the marine, especially since it seems like 2nd hive/3 res/leap is so universal. Meanwhile I don't really understand what the gorge's role is supposed to be -- hydras are ok early, but very weak late, those blobs seem much less effective for territorial control than web was, and now they're completely detached from actual base-building/teching. Their only real role after the first 5 minutes or so seems to be bile bomb for anti-exo.

UWE has always hated gorge and wants it go away.

Real answer: Gorge aids commander. You know that one marine who stays in base to build and guard? Gorge is the marine, only "base" is where ever on the map the Alien Com says it is. You set up healing stations and guard the alien staging areas.

quote:

Why do marines retain all their upgrades when tech points are lost, and have them available straight out of spawn, but aliens lose them, and have to re-evolve them every respawn? Seems like it makes marines stronger late-game, and makes it REALLY easy for them to snowball. How are aliens supposed to come back if second hive goes down?

Aliens don't have to individually evolve leap/blink/spore/stomp. Aliens are also able relocate to parts of the map easier. If they couldn't take out carapace shells or whatever, Aliens would eventually win almost every game by attrition.
(This is one of those parts of NS2 I'm not completely sold on; I miss incremental upgrades and the chambers being a part of that)

Basically, this stuff exists to give the Marines a chance of winning.

That said, I do wish there was a "remember my evolution preferences" option.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

Kaal posted:

But doesn't that just lock the aliens team into a single start build? If having one hive is so weak, what's the point?

So they can't just go kamikaze marine start in the first 5 seconds. Its like asking why marines don't start with 5 prebuilt resnodes, an ARC, and lvl 2 armor.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

Kaal posted:

Actually the questions that were asked represent the fundamental design changes between NS1 and NS2. Asking why aliens have been locked into a single build, or why gorges have been relegated to heal bitches, is completely legitimate and deserves a non-snarky answer.

That wasn't snark. Setting up a second hive is a vast resource undertaking for aliens, which needs guarding, and provides the aliens with a choice of "hit marines" or "defend this chunk of res we just dropped". Like the marine upgrades, that's an intended goal, but you need to work and survive long enough to reach there.
Aliens could also get more res nodes instead of a fast 2nd hive, and have higher lifeforms quicker, but without upgrades.

And there's no real answer to why Gorges got neutered, other than old gorge role no longer exists in NS2. It sucks, but there you have it.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

If you're feeling bad about your commander experience, let me tell you about my first time in the Marine chair during the beta. After giving a warning about being new com, I got in and did IP/Armory/Obs... but my buildings kept disappearing. I couldn't figure it out, and thought it was glitch, or aliens, or something.

Then I noticed the shortcut for recycle is V.
I had bound V to my push-to-talk button. :negative:

It is impossible for you to do worse your first time in chair than I did. So :getin:

Guesticles fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 2, 2012

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I think we talked about Onos Anus before. The problem was after about armor 2, digest took too drat long. Combine with stomp and Onos was just annoying to deal with.

DuckConference posted:

That's weird, I could swear that the shared resource pool for aliens in NS1 was always there. As I recall, with 1 hive every alien except the gorge could hold a max of 33 resources, and once they maxed out their resources overflowed to the other aliens on the team. So one player would go gorge and save for a hive, and the other aliens would let their resources max out so the gorge could put up the hive faster. Of course it wasn't a great system because if some newbie also went gorge at the same time as your team's main gorge it could really gently caress the team over because they'd be getting half the resources ocne the rest of the team was overflowing. Eventually it was switched to everyone's max being 100 resources, so overflow was no longer very relevant.

I remember it working this way as well; each hive increased the res cap to 100 at 3 hives. Of course even at 100 cap you could still be a mensch and overflow.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

7c Nickel posted:

They way I remember it, gorges got a larger percentage of the overall res flow. More than one gorge would split that additional percentage so it was preferable to only have one gorge because one could get structures out quicker than two or more.

Gorges got two times the resources because they got an extra "turn" in the round-robin res distribution. If you had Able, Bob, Charlie, and Dick on a team, and one resource tower, every time the tower generated res, Able would get 1 res, then Bob, then Charlie, then Dick. If Bob went gorge, it would go Able, Bob, Bob, Charlie, Dick. If Dick went gorge too it would go Able, Bob, Bob, Charlie, Dick, Dick (goose).

So having one gorge, and protecting that 13 10 res investment was very important to getting 2nd hive up as quick as possible.

Guesticles fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 3, 2012

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

When attacking the hive I usually unload or two clips as I close and then go to axe; no reload delay.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

Yeah, if I don't get orders I'm going to get high and wander off somewhere, usually scouting. I specifically chose my username with being given orders in mind.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

rt4 posted:

The commander interface is the worst enemy you'll face in the game

This needs to be the thread title.

Edit: With Silence Onos, I've walked into a base with marines in it and gotten the power to 40% before they even know I'm there.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

Fearian posted:

I've had so many incredible moments I never thought I'd have again since NS1, over the last few days. Dumb marines not following orders. amazing teams winning the game more or less unassited by my comandering. Desperate hold outs that last for 40 minutes..

My favorite 'dum team' moment was on summit pushing crossroads. the whole team was about to push into their hive, it looked like a done deal.

"Great! can i have two guys go clear out reactor core, everyone keep pushing!"
research upgrades in base, hop back to the action
"What? GUYS IF I WANTED SIX PEOPLE IN REACTOR I WOULD HAVE SAID SIX!"

everyone had wandered off, aliens countered, forcing a beacon, they took a second hive. We lost reactor.

This was a bit ago, but I'd like to say on this topic:
When you don't need everyone/a significant portion of the team to go do something, call out individual marines to go do it. Don't say "I need two people to go check Reactor core" say "Weedlord420 and xXBonerHitlerXx, go check reactor core".
As a player, I have no good way to see who is following orders and who isn't.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I wish you could mix/match weapons on exos. Flamer exos would be boss.

Guesticles fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 8, 2012

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I sort of hate the new adrenaline too, but I also completely understand it. It makes alien rushes more strategic, and is sort of necessary for Flamers to not be completely worthless.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

Brackhar posted:

I still feel that alien comm is missing that special spice that the marine comm has. The lack of interaction with alien comrades in the field makes me sad. It's not a bad experience, but it definitely is not as engaging/rewarding.

I really miss the multiple Alien commanders. In the beta, I would see we needed craigs or something in Computer Lab. I'd ask permission if we had an existing com, and then spawn the drifters and send them there. When everything was down, I'd hop out and go back to the front. I know why they had to remove it,though.

Right now alien commander just sort of feels like someone who decides the upgrade paths and herds skulks.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I'm going to side with the JP is a little cheap, but they are sort of situational and the JPers are not all that hard to kill. Unless you're in cargo. Lets consider the guy who goes around decysting stuff. 10 for JP, 25 for flamer. That's the cost of a Lerk. Add 15 for mines, and you're up to the cost of Fade.
The JPer has comparable mobility, but is much easier to take down.

I think they should make an "Exo Gate"; maybe make a floor object like the NS1 gate, and only buildable at tech points. This still gives the aliens a "make them beacon and leave the Exos vunerable option" but gives the Exos the ability to get somewhere they're needed in less than 5 minutes.
Or even a researchable Exo-beacon.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

No one really cares if you're nooby com, but ASK before you bee line for the chair. Especially as Marine commander.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

Black_Plague22 posted:

Speaking of sentries:

According to the NS2 wiki, they are supposed to be anti structure. :stare: This is why the battery and sentry can be built on infestation, supposedly.

I have never seen them used this way.

I thought they were anti-structure and then they changed that.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

The Dome used to have a dome at the top. Now its some sort of horrible square skylight thing.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

You know what I love? Early Onosing with no upgrades and nothing but skulks for support because com put res into early Onos instead of expanding and getting res for the team or upgrades.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

Playing on Veil, and getting our clocks cleaned by marines. We were down to one hive in sub, and were still sort of in control of cargo, but no res for a 2nd hive. and one extractor.

A suicide rush took out Pipe, and then a bunch of level 0 skulks with no upgrades went for the power in control.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

RadicalWall posted:

Also I would assume that its faster to cool if you stop just before they overheat, but I haven't done any testing to that effect.

I don't know if its faster, but if the miniguns, over heat they won't be able to fire again until they've cooled all the way down.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

Also, until regen gets fixed, chasing retreating Onos is sort of dumb unless you have about 5 other marines with you.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

Properly placed and used, turrets are great.

Just finished a game on Docking where an alien stack got thrashed by a group of poor-to-competent marines with a better than average Com. Com did the inward facing sentries in main right off the bat, so the other team couldn't spawn rush. Com put turrets on almost every resnode, and the aliens just couldn't deal. He was also really good with battery placement, and put them in places where they couldn't get sniped.

(Aliens also got cocky (due to stack) and went shade for their first chamber.

I think, though, what saved us was aliens starting in locker. If they'd have been departures I think we'd have been on the other side of the beat down.)

Also, I think Fades are back to being invulnerable during blink; in another game, I was blinking around a bunch of firing marines and taking no damage.

Edit: VVV It was 80% the same team that just run roughshod over the marines on Tram, and no one on marines had over a 2:1 KDR until they lost their second hive. We had people checking on stuff pretty regular, and we did lose departures a few times. Skulks without carapace go down pretty fast.

Guesticles fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Nov 19, 2012

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

Yeah, I did like a small regen in combat. I also like the idea of tying regen rate to your energy; this could also make flame throwers a better weapon.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

Siroc posted:

Are turrets meant to just be used to help advance? Perhaps helping hold a contested hallway.

I can't see them being put down in the main hive chamber instead of trying to kill stuff because it takes a while to get the batt+ 2/3 down. But maybe I'm an idiot.

Short answer: MACs

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

Tornado Lazers posted:

Aliens should get like this thing that the commander controls, but it can move around if he wants it to but it can't attack while it's moving. Once the commander tells it to, it should like set up and do a whole crapload of damage to stuff and buildings and things.

This is already in the game. Its called "micromanaging an Onos".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I like the ARC changes, and the 3 hive onos egg. Not sure how I feel about dropping the gore range, but it is only .5 meters.

• Locked thread