Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Gormless Gormster posted:

But yeah, if you're commanding, talk a lot, plan a lot and always update your team. It's crucial, and its extremely annoying when you get a silent commander who treats the game like a resource race and leaves all the planning to the players.

Leader of men - Team carries out the commander's vision, operates like a well drilled military machine.

Starcraft player - Team flops aimlessly like a bunch of wet fish and gets eaten alive by aliens.

This was from a few pages ago but, holy poo poo, this times a billion.

I would much rather have a commander that talks nonstop than someone who just never says anything. I always pester the poo poo out of the commander to give me orders, even as an alien. Nothing works better than a commander telling 8+ skulks where the enemy is and how they can flank the marines.

Remember, a retarded plan uniting 10 soldiers is better than no plan and 10 disorganized soldiers.

RabidWeasel posted:

I definitely think that aliens are somehow less fun than they were in ns1, possibly because of fade/lerk being comparatively weaker and onos being just a huge sack of numbers requiring no skill to play

Apparently dropped onoses are kind of rediculous balance-wise but I've never actually had a comm drop one early though from the sound of it, it just makes the "fade/lerk aren't really worthwhile" thing more pronounced.

Oh, and 3-hive abilities are tear-inducingly underwhelming. There's absolutely no pressure as a marine to get more than 2 CC locations. Marines get to build up their arms lab and have their stock unit double in survivability and dish out 30% more damage wheras the aliens only get one upgrade which is a raw 'numbers' boost, so if you join a game late as aliens and you're a skulk it's easy to feel worthless compared to a freshly-spawned marine.

I'd disagree with point 1, but 2 and 3 are pretty spot on.

I love lerking more than anything else in this game. I get a consistent KDR of at least 5/1, and it's not like I'm killing a guy and running just for the sake of my score either. Perching in a dark, high cieling and spraying a guy with spikes before flying down and biting him as he tries to run away is loving priceless.

Also, nothing is more awesome than doing a high speed spore strafing run on a big group of marines clumped in a hallway, and then as EVERY SINGLE ONE turns to shoot you, you have a group of skulks run in and gently caress them up. Then I turn around and gas them again. The marines can either run from my poison clouds and get bit by the skulks, or stay and fight in my poison. It's brutal.

The one and only time I played an Onos was when a Khammander dropped one for me and said "Defend our stuff." So I just chilled in a big room with some craigs and hosed up anybody who came near. I was consitently charging down groups of 3-5 marines without much of a problem. I think a lot of Onos' are just retarded and run straight into the open thinking they are invincible, whereas an Onos really needs to be used like a giant, terrifying ambush class. Or at least used as a decoy for the smaller aliens.

Your last point is totally correct. I loving hate joining late game as a skulk because I get the default 20-resources, so literally all I can do is hope I have evolution upgrade options and then just roam around and pray that I have a team who is organizing grouped attacks for me to participate in. Late game, 1v1 skulk/marine the marine will win every loving time because of their ridiculous default damage/armour.

Slappy Moose fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

AndyAML posted:

if you get killed a lot, it means that you're giving the enemy team more resources to play with.

:siren:loving WRONG:siren:

Dying to an enemy gives them exactly 0 resources or benefits besides the fact that you are dead. If you're a skulk, sometimes dying in order to injure a group of marines and maybe even making them retreat in fear is a fine choice, if it means it stops them from making an organized push for your harvesters.

The worst thing you can do in this game is sit on the goddamn ceiling, waiting for the perfect goddamn moment to activate your ~*MASTER AMBUSH PLAN*~ Just loving kill them. Who cares if you die, you're a skulk. You are literally walking garbage, meant to fall on people and bite their ankles apart, and keep the important things like lerkers, onoses, fades, harvesters, and other expensive poo poo alive and kicking. You are a distraction and a pest.

Don't try to protect your priceless Kill Death Ratio like in call of duty because I guarantee your team will be pissed at you for masturbating on the ceiling for minutes at a time instead of skulk-swarming a power node or loving up marines faces.

FuSchnick posted:

and you won't gain any [resources] while you wait to hatch again (this REALLY sucks).
This might be true I guess. But waiting 6 seconds and maybe missing 1 resource doesn't mean poo poo. Go kill things.

Slappy Moose fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 6, 2012

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

octoroon posted:

But "repetitive players models?" What, because there are only three different marine models stratified by preorder status and the aliens adhere to a similar style based on the name of the loving game? I don't even know.
I'm pretty sure IGN is terrible in every way and their opinions should never ever be listened to.

LibbyM posted:

I just bought this. How awful is the community? If I play a few matches to get a feel, and then decide I want to try a match as commander, am I going to get yelled at and votekicked from the game the moment I do something badly?
The only two times I've ever gotten mad at a commander:
1. When they say literally nothing over the microphone so nobody knows what to do. This goes for Marine and Alien commanders alike.
2. When they spend 160 team resources placing onos eggs right in front of a wall of exo-suits and marines after buying every upgrade except carapace and regeneration. God drat this was annoying.

As long as you talk and aren't literally retarded you'll be fine. I usually try to be helpful to new commanders and pplayers, especially if they ask.

AndyAML posted:

drat, if this is true then I've been going about things the wrong way. Too much time playing NS1.
Well don't quote me on it or anything, I guess, but I've never gotten resources for a kill, I've seen other people asking "Why aren't I getting resources for my kills?" and so on. You probably don't get resources when you are dead, like the other guys are saying, but I don't really give a poo poo about one resource point anyway. Aliens spawn pretty quickly as long as there are eggs around too, so it's only like 6 seconds downtime.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

quaunaut posted:

Before anyone jumps my throat: This is specifically for new comms and new teams. Obviously other strategies work, and work fantastically, but these priorities and goals are best for a comm to get their feet wet before branching into whatever their own style is.

These are solid tips. I would personally rather get carapace/regen before any silence/camo stuff, but the rest is all gold. Aliens really need to expand like motherfuckers.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Arrath posted:

Apparently a totally unupgraded marine takes 3 bites to kill. Hitting them with a single parasite shaves off enough armor to bring it down to 2 bites. According to people earlier in the thread, anyway.

Is this really the case?

This doesn't seem right at all. I'm pretty sure it takes 2-3 bites to kill a "level 1" marine, and I'm pretty sure I've had to bite late-game marines way, way more than 3 times to kill them. I don't have the numbers to back up this statement, but it just sounds totally wrong.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

ShadowHawk posted:

Personally I think parasite should do no damage but instead apply an invisible debuff that causes the marine to take extra damage on his next bite.

I'm gonna quote this because this is a really awesome idea.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

DatonKallandor posted:

The problem is that the Lerk uses the exact same projectile in order for new players to go "oh I shoot spikes. They work exactly like Skulk spikes including the marking of players through walls". I'm pretty sure Skulks would be overpowered as hell if Lerks could buff bite damage just by shooting.

Or the developement team could literally just seperate the projectiles for the lerk and skulk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

LibbyM posted:

How much damage do spores do? I don't seem to get a number pop up. Per second or whatever.

As far as I know, spores do approximately 20 damage per second, for 6-ish seconds. They also only do damage to a marine's health, so armor does not help them at all (though spores don't damage exo suits because of this).

So it will take about 5 seconds to kill a marine, assuming they are at full health, not being healed, and stay in the spore cloud. The radius isn't too big so they can usually find a corner to hide in while it fades away.

• Locked thread