Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Downloading :toot:

I played the hell out of NS back in the day and preordered NS2 2 years ago (:stare:) but didn't really play the beta at all. I can't wait to shoot up some aliens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Garfu posted:

For people curious of tactics for skulking, lerking, fading, and marining, go ahead and watch this video http://www.twitch.tv/garfu/b/337623861

It's 3 hours long and covers every lifeform as well as marine play. Everything is also played a high level, so you can see the tactics involved with parasiting before a kill, or fade blinking. Skip through it until you get to the lifeform or marine thing you want and watch for a few minutes.

A good example of advanced fading starts at 3:08:00

Welp, I'm glad I don't have to play against a team of people as good as you.

I played a few hours today, this game is amazing. I dumped so much time into NS back in the day and this only brings back good memories. Most people seem to prefer Marines right now, and they are the easier side to jump into. Still the games were generally fairly even and everyone was being surprisingly helpful. People even put up with me stumbling around as commander for the first time in years. :v:

I'm glad it has workshop integration from the start, I've already downloaded a texture mod that adds a good old fashioned shark mouth to the pistol, but I can't wait for it to take off. Soon I'll run around in Master Chief's armor, shooting at skulks modeled as bugs from Starship Troopers with Pulse Rifles from Aliens again :allears:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

My one complaint so far, I can't get my mic to work.

Works fine for skype, vent, ts, steam chat, every other game I've tried.. just not NS. Frustrating.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Guesticles posted:

I had to replace my mic (sort of unrelated to NS; The mic was broken on my headset, but I'd have given no shits if not for NS) and when I was troubleshooting, I noticed the lack of in-game voice tweaking. The... whatcha call it, the thing that gives you an idea of your mic volume would be nice.

edit: New mic works fine, Logitech Wireless H600

Yeah the utter lack of in-game mic configuring is kinda annoying.

This is a 2 month old mic, too :(

E: got it working! :toot:

Arrath fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 2, 2012

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Insert name here posted:

If FF was on my panic sprays would mean I would have more marine kills than alien.

So many of my squadmates would have shotgun sized holes in their backs. Sorry guys!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I really wish there was an easier way to see what's being upgraded/researched, unless there is and I'm just new and can't find it. like just being able to press a hot key and see what's being in the pipe would be really useful, especially with a non verbal commander or just not a very chatty one.

You can look at buildings and they'll display what they're researching or building.

So you might look at an armory and it'd say "researching shotguns (XX%)" inside a little spinny progress indicator.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Lorem ipsum posted:

I seem to remember in NS1 you could vote for the commander or something like that. Is it really just a race to the chair here or is there something like that which I have yet to notice in this game?

Hold X for the vocalization menu, the option to vote to eject the commander is at 12 o'clock.

e: At least Tycho answered your actual question :v:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Tark posted:

Anyone having issues with their microphone? Mine works everywhere else, but not a peep in NS2. Yes, I'm using the transmit key as well.

Turning off "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" on my mic in the windows control panel finally let me talk.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Just danced like a pro with 3 skulks in the Lava Falls on Refinery.

They all launched themselves off of the catwalk and into the molten metal below, I didn't get bitten once :clint:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Drone_Fragger posted:

That would be because the skulk biting hit detection is complete trash. The only alien hit detection that seems even remotely good is the fades one.

While I agree that biting can be a pain in the rear end, the point of the post was that in their spastic circle strafing they all jumped down into the lava :colbert:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'd be fine with being eaten by an onos, if I could pull the pin on a hand grenade while I'm in there.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

AgentF posted:

I commed for a newbie-vs-newbie game recently and we were reduced to turtling in our base and fending off alien pushes. We must have killed at least 4 onosses, two at a time, with nothing but focused rifle fire, even with other aliens around being distracting.

Yeah I was in a match as marines where we were turtling on a lone point, holding out against fades and onoses. With 6 of us standing shoulder to shoulder in a wide hallway we mowed down an onos with our lmgs, it was pretty awesome. Those things are tough as hell, I've even had grenades go flying off of their head armor.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Well I just learned that hallucinations are a thing in the worst way possible.

A dozen onoses charging into base at once is scarier than any horror movie I've seen in years. :gonk:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

randombattle posted:

I really don't understand what purpose parasite serves now.

Apparently a totally unupgraded marine takes 3 bites to kill. Hitting them with a single parasite shaves off enough armor to bring it down to 2 bites. According to people earlier in the thread, anyway.

Is this really the case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Captain Beans posted:

Way back in the alpha & beta the devs talked about the Onos face armor, and I'm wondering if that have any affect on the game now. Or is the Onos just one big hitbox that does the same damage no matter where you shoot it?

I've noticed that a few grenades I've fired at an Onos' head kinda bounce off and sail into the wild unknown. That may just be a side effect of them being timed fuse, though.

• Locked thread