Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

I played this a year and a half ago in beta, and apparently since then it has turned into a good game. I can't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

I have been working up the nerve to step into the com chair. I think I know what I am doing at this point, but both of those com related tutorial videos in the tutorials section are screen casts of the guy playing the game and not really explaining what or why he does things. Are there any ones that are a little clearer?

qwertyasdf fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Nov 3, 2012

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

dontmorelikewont posted:

Does anyone see giving out NS2 gift copies biting them in the rear end later? I think initially this will sell well, but will probably level out at some point.. So paid dlc next???

I think it was a pretty smart move. Nothing kills a game like this faster than a community not large enough to populate servers. It's free copies now to foster long term sales.

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

AxeManiac posted:

Yeah, it got a little better, still like being a space repairman more. This is a good game!

Once you know the ropes of both sides, you will enjoy the freedom and speed aliens have to react to things. Aliens and their commander are not attached to the hip like marines are, so gameplay is a little more free form. Once you discover fades and the power of blink, marines almost become a drag.

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

Zigmidge posted:

Dude I've been playing with goons for 10 years now. They can be nice and cool but only because we have something initially to bond over. After about 2 minutes you realize that goons are the rudest, most crass, unhelpful motherfuckers on the internet.

Last night Garfu and other goons let me hop in the command chair multiple times and kept the other team at bay while I tried to push the right buttons. That is some charity. Unless you get bent out of shape being called an idiot in a clearly joking manner, goons are far more helpful than pubbies.

You trade dumb newbie stories for help not being poo poo. This has been the case in NS2, Dota, and Eve for me. In the same way most goons don't actually have neckbeards, most goons are not huge assholes to newbies.

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

I pulled up the lua files and started poking around. What is the story on modifying lua files, and then putting them on a server? Do the files get checksummed and if they differ, you are put on the dreaded "community content" list? If there a way to duck that if we are not doing anything client side?

I was thinking of making some reserved slots or something. This game really needs some more admin controls, and vote scramble.

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

The Crotch posted:

Had a very neat game earlier where the marines walked over us with a super aggressive strategy. They essentially contained us to a very small chunk of the map, first with straight-up pressure, then with very fast sentry guns.

Any time I see aliens get trapped in an area early on, it usually means that the team is really bad. Turrets are a pretty big waste of res, especially in the beginning.

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

RadicalWall posted:

It's getting to the point where I just can't play on pubs. I swear half the time we don't even have a commander.

When I am on a pub for some reason, I don't want to command because they are all so dumb and won't do what I say anyway.

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

Garfu's master plan goes into effect. A Pink Elephant Party.

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

Magres posted:

Can people stop bitching at each other over term limits and go back to making fun of Republicans? You guys are killin my tear fueled buzz

I have never gotten the Ron Paul Commander Strategy to work. Providing no armories and health packs while telling marines to bootstrap it always ends poorly. I do have a large surplus of res at the end while they chew though the command chair.

qwertyasdf fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Nov 18, 2012

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

I don't think the game is imbalanced when two pro teams are playing both sides optimally, but I think the aliens have become an easier (and more fun) side to play.

1) The average alien now knows to jump over the heads and be sneaky when fighting marines, and shooting a fast enemy that can do this is very hard without practice.

2) Marines have a tougher time at map control, with everything relying on a somewhat fragile phase gate. Unless the marines know that when the com says "get though the loving phase gate right now you assholes" and do so quickly, you can lose an entire base.

3) Aliens have an easier time responding to map issues because of their speed, and don't have the small window the phase gates's health provides. If you have 4 marines hacking at some harvester far enough away from a phase gate, odds are the phase gate is going down. The aliens also know that the marines are probably coming though the thing they are chewing on, so its easy to take down some one who phases though. If they lose a harvester, it doesn't take away the alien's offensive focus for the com to build a new one in its spot unless they dropped one there.

4) Onos is fast, powerful, and easy to use, and can often be okay by himself. An EXO suit requires the marines to support it, otherwise it gets chewed in an instant.

5) Marines are much more reliant on their commander, this has already been discussed at length.

Overall marines are just a harder side to play, and if both teams are mediocre (I certainly am) then I think the aliens have more leniency. Yea, regen needs a nerf, but I don't think its going to slide what I think is a 70% alien win rate on ns2goons back to 50%.

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

totalnewbie posted:

This last game was amazing because we went from not having a second hive (though we did have double), to barely taking a second hive, to winning by exploiting pubbie :rock:DUAL EXOS:rock: mentality.

Moral of the story: dual exos are overrated.

I com'ed a game that was quite similar to that on mineshaft. Lots of back and forth on bases. They also had a hardon for exos. The real moral of the story: Exo's lose games, because if they had gotten jet packs and only used them they would have won.

At 10 res a pop, they are a loving steal. One dual mini gun exo buys 7 loving lives of jetpacks. I have seen commanders refuse to research exos (for good reason) to force people to buy jetpacks.

qwertyasdf fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Dec 11, 2012

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

Do obs decloak buildings/cysts hidden by a shade? I say this because I want to try sneaking in whips into chokepoints and bases while the marines are off doing something else.

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

Dave Mustard posted:

Well, I meant more of the point popups for kills ala cod's +50! +100, etc.

These serve a purpose of showing that you hit something. They could be replaced with something else, but you can't just remove them. An example is that I can see when I am connecting my lerk spikes to the intended target.

Also, why do goons (and non goons) ever choose shade for the first hive? The only time to choose it is if you know your team is great, the other teams commander isn't aware of scanning, and you want to have a laugh.

I have seen games get rolled because the alien com decided that shade was a good idea. Mostly because all the skulks walk around slow in shade mode and the marines cap a bunch of nodes and area early. Crags, Shifts, Regen/Cap/Cel are all way too amazingly useful in the beginning to not have.

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

Dominoes posted:

Shade first offers a third strategic option compared to crag or shift, making games less repetetive. Also, cloaking and silence are cool upgrades that are great for gaining early map control and forcing precise reactions from the marine commander.

I am always down for mixing it up, but shade alone is so under powered with out really amazing skulks (read: any pub game), and shades don't offer the massive benefits crags and shifts do. That's really the main thing.

Any game I see aliens win with shade first is because the alien team is just way better than the marines. It is never because the camo gave them the leg up they needed.

So until shade hives get a boost somewhere, its a very bad first hive choice. Dropping shade first in pub games is handicapping your team.

qwertyasdf fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 13, 2012

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

Splicer posted:

gently caress camo, silence is what you go shade for.

Silence by itself is the worst upgrade out of all of them.

Boing posted:

Is Celerity that good? I assumed it was because you're faster in combat but if it really is just for map mobility then I can definitely see how going for Silence or Camo first would be preferable.

Or is this about Shifts?

It's not just Celerity, its the benefits that a shift and a crag give the commander. I have saved so many structures from marines with crags by giving them extra life, and taken down bases with shift pressure. Shade is more of an annoyance that can be hand waived away by a scan.

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

Skulk is cool, but don't sit on a huge amount of res late game. Your team needs you to be a higher life form to counter armor/wep 3, which as a skulk you are pretty hosed.

That said, don't be afraid to take some of that res and try out a new life form. I fell in love with the lerk this way. One person being bad usually won't screw up your team.

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Shouldn't that be a risk/reward thing though? You banked on taking them out early using camo - shouldn't you HAVE to fight harder for that third hive if your initial plan failed and you didn't take them out in time?

Because you probably won't win the game early because you got camo, its a very bad risk to take. Like I said earlier, if you can win early with camo, you probably didn't need it anyway. It's kind of a cheese, and not that useful outside of the first five minutes because marines are usually established. Cloak doesn't often help on assaulting things, the others do.

Also holy poo poo that long rear end cave game on knife the hippo, that flipped sides so many times. My brain fried while commanding that. Very shocked we won. A cloaked onos is actually what threw the wrench in their side, so cloak can be really awesome later in the game.

qwertyasdf fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Dec 15, 2012

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

AgentF posted:

Has anyone seen any good early-game use of Hallucinations? If not, maybe we can try to come up with a valid strategy. It seems to me that they're marginally useful in the end game and not at all at the start, but I'd like to explore this space and see if anything clever arises.

The only way I could see them being of any use is to try to get the commander to beacon. Unless the commander has the itchiest beacon finger the second some one shoots them they realize that they are hallucinations. Also you can kind of tell that skulks are running in a uniform straight line, not like real skulks at all. So other than creating some temporary confusion, not really.

You could also have some fake skulks run ahead in front of marines to make them think there are a ton in an area, and they should hold back, but I don't think marines think that way. They would probably try to chase them down.

Also, aren't they kind of expensive? I never use them when res matters but they are probably a waste of res early game. It's nothing I would trade for actual buffs anyway.

Now, if the game had AI, and the aliens were capable of running around and fake attacking marines by themselves, then we would be cooking with gas.

qwertyasdf fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 15, 2012

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

The shotgun is like the lerk. If some one capable of using it has it, they are the destroyer of worlds and changer of games. If you are lovely like I and most pubs are, then its really loving expensive and not a large boost to my K/D (read: effectiveness).

Once again it comes down to you have to balance to pros, not to the pubs, so it probably is balanced. I am pretty sure its entire thing is to stop skulks and lerks from being as viable later in the game.

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

Probably some regulars wanting to take a poo poo on all of the COD players who saw this for 10 bux. It's lovely but destined to happen.

Power nodes are obviously supposed to be the marine's cysts, but the problem is if you can devastate one it has huge game changing implications if there is a lot of bank on it. Fixing the cyst chain is easy and the com has a while to do it. A cyst chain can also have redundancy.

Honestly I don't think the marine side is fun to play. While the aliens have all these different ways to play, the marine experience is usually the same. I wish marines let you pick a class (shooter/flamer/nader) like aliens do pretty early on, and be able to afford to keep it going unless you are just terrible. The marines really needed a rethinking for NS2, and they are my only lingering disappointment about the game.

I know aliens pestering res nodes is a key thing, but having to constantly get one guy to go chase them off and then rebuild it is loving boring. Most pub games I see the marines lose a ton of res because they just get tired of saving that solitary res node time and time again. It's just not a fun mechanic. Alien's don't worry about that poo poo, and a lost res node is a few click fix for a com. Drop a crag on it to have it survive even longer. I want to see the return of electricity or some mechanic like it. Maybe it takes a gorge or a higher life form to take it out.

tl;dr Marines are boring to play compared to aliens

qwertyasdf fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 20, 2012

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

BlackJoo posted:

I think early game is certainly more fun for aliens (being able to run on walls and eat poorly equipped marines). But late game is all marine, there's nothing like cruising around with a group of marines using jetpacks and shottys.

That scenario is fun, and protecting an arc train while it goes to and pounds the hive while the aliens panic are the highlights of the marines. The rest of the time its trying to hold space while the aliens pester you. I think this is the core of it, its a lot more fun to pester than to be pestered.

The aliens should be about slowly fraying the edges of marines. The marines should be about building and maintaining this war machine that will eventually win them the game. The onos subverts that because when it shows up (usually before jetpacks) it is the game ender, and exos are not the counter.

Buckwheat Sings posted:

They should really adapt some of the cool stuff that Tremulous pulled off. It's an abandoned freeware version of NS2 based on the Quake 3 engine.
http://tremulous.net/manual/

I think the reason they kept the marines so white bread is they wanted the alien/marine contrast to be apparent. Adding classes to marines like the aliens have would make them decidedly more like the aliens. Doing this may not be the solution they want, but it sounds fun to me.

qwertyasdf fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 20, 2012

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

The server list is looking really tragic lately. What sucks is I don't think UW is doing anything wrong that would be driving people away. The only complaint I ever hear is that the game is too hard, but all newbies ever had to do was join marines and try to shoot aliens while they learn how it works.

The game needs something more than a content patch to boost counts, but I am not sure what that would be.

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

Fallom posted:

Score isn't PRes

Oh man if you could get PRes for parasiting. That would be a pretty interesting but game breaking mechanic. Skulks would actually bother to parasite before chomping down.

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

Me in Reverse posted:

Then how did I end up with 75pres very quickly doing nothing but parasiting?

Probably by not dying. When you are dead you miss the res cycle, if you hide up in the rafters, you get one on every tick possible.

qwertyasdf fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 7, 2013

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

Me in Reverse posted:

I'll chalk it up to drunk goggles. I thought it was a great strategy at the time!

Don't worry about it, this is one of those little nuances that you only learn about later. It took me a while to figure out why people could go lerk before I could. It is a pretty good incentive to not play a suicidal skulk.

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

Was nice to see ns2goons going again. I have lost my rhythm as commander though, how early should I grab gorge tunnels? I am guessing after leap but before blink and stomp and possibly spores.

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

Ryen Deckard posted:

That one guy called you a "beta male human being."

Ha, I didn't know he was a troll at the time, so I stepped out thinking I was loving up the game. So I guess the troll worked. The round was pretty much over, they had pushed double and were making their way into both sides. I figured I would let some one else take a shot. Never get out of the chair I guess.

Usually that type of poo poo comes from 4chan, so I don't really care what a person from /v/ thinks of me. It is pretty easy to gently caress up an entire round if you jump in the com seat, so I can see why NS2 is a target.

qwertyasdf fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Apr 9, 2013

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

Man there were some awful games in ns2goons this evening.

qwertyasdf fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Apr 18, 2013

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

DelphiAegis posted:

Define awful. Most weren't so bad, but I get angry and yell when three marines go 20-0 on tram. :/ I blame it on the Asian aimbots.

A string of commanders who never chatted with their team, along with teamstacking, so it never felt like an actual game the entire night. Just waiting to die.

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

Had some great games on Knife the Hippo. Gorge rush never fails. Never.

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

Gestalt Intellect posted:

God drat you how the hell am I even supposed to counter this

Get your team to focus fire on gorges. The hydras wont live long out of creep, so gorges have to keep them alive. If you survive, the game is yours.

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

I have commanded a decent amount of times now, and I can say that its getting stale. I am certainly not the best, but I find that being adequate is all that a team usually needs. Run the upgrades in the right order and hold onto 5 res nodes until you get better guns or lifeforms. Congrats you are a good commander.

Standard patterns have emerged. There is never a reason to drop an early second hive, or rush a strange upgrade as a hail mary, or get really anything but shift first. Maybe crag in a small but skilled team but I digress. The worst part of it is when I see my team losing there isn't much I can do about it. Any fun flexibility comes when you have already clearly won the game, before trying something offbeat can cost your team the game because you did that instead of carapace.

I wish that NS was more about two commanders battling each other by taking risks that may not work, using the ground troops to carry out their will. Instead you end up playing upgrade administrator.

Also descent is annoying to traverse and has really weird res placement. Hydro is a lynch pin. Odds are if you hold hydro, like double in veil, you will win.

qwertyasdf fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 19, 2013

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

I think part of the problem is that commanding on a server with more than 7 people on each side (so every server) means that your job as commander is crowd flow. The lone ranger is pointless in the face of 14+ other players. If you cant shovel people into the bottleneck you will lose. You are practically forced to PG and Shift rush. That and the alien egg spawn is tuned to 7 players so you need the eggs anyway.

If enough people played this game anymore it would be worth it to write a mod to tune the balance of larger servers. Speaking of larger servers, the 32p ones are cool, but the game is STILL decided in the same amount of time, it just takes 30 extra minutes of fighting to conclude it.

The alien players are always like "Its making them waste res" but not really. Oh no the 1 res risk that you took.

qwertyasdf fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 20, 2013

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

I am going to take a few month break from the game, and if it still has life then I would be interested in playing it again. If its dead I will be sad, but I got my moneys worth a while ago.

I think what it needs is NS 2.5, which would be a bold rethinking of how the game plays and how abilities work. They have the engine, most of the art assets, and hopefully the funding left to do so. The maps would probably need some refactoring but the current game, as fun and unique as it is, seems to get shallow once you have a good grip on it. Past that point its just how annoying of a lerk or fade can you be.

I can only speak from the casual perspective though. I have seen garfu and company go at it, few can be that good. Every few pro games you can see the game playing exactly like it should. It just can't happen in pub games though.

qwertyasdf fucked around with this message at 09:09 on May 20, 2013

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

No doubt that I got my dollar value of NS2. I want UW to be able to function as a company and keep making things. It feels weird to suggest that they do something else instead of continuing to support NS2, but in its current form I think that needs to happen. We can all agree that it has problems a new map and maybe a new gun wont fix.

Maybe if they price dropped to :10bux: after the next update it could catch some kind of second wind.

qwertyasdf fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 9, 2013

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

I am ... cautiously optimistic? Is it enough of a change to re-install?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

The most interesting thing about that video is it looks like they are using Unity (instead of their own engine). Probably for the better honestly, the game has a chance of showing up in a reasonable amount of time.

I am not really excited for yet another sandbox game honestly, the minecraft train has kind of pulled out of the station. I would hate for them to be super late on the draw again.

qwertyasdf fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 16, 2013

• Locked thread