Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
snaga
Jan 6, 2005

RabidWeasel posted:

I've found kharaa much more fun so far though not knowing where anything is hurts a lot more when you don't have a minimap :(

Press 'c'. :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snaga
Jan 6, 2005

Ramagamma posted:

Totally understandable. It's just somewhat jarring that in the course of the day I've went from joining and playing a full match to disconnections 5 seconds after entering the ready room to a straight up crash while its pre-caching during the map load.

Those two bugs seem to be the ones causing most trouble, you should feel special for having them both. :)

http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=122598

https://twitter.com/NS2/status/263558780736913408

snaga
Jan 6, 2005

eggsovereasy posted:

I've only played games as the aliens so far and have lost every game. Is there a balance issue or have I just gotten unlucky in the 5 or 6 games I've played.

Any CS noob knows how to shoot with a gun, the alien side is a totally different beast you have to actually learn. I'm sure it will even out in the coming days/weeks.

snaga
Jan 6, 2005

Kraustofski posted:

people genuinely do like playing on these 32 man servers because it means responsabilities are passed out among a lot of people which means you can gently caress up more and your team can still win it, it's good for training up for a real game as it allows you to get to know the ropes next to lots of people.

This would mean something if 16vs16 didn't mean marines will win 8 or 9 out of 10 matches.

Buckwheat Sings posted:

I dig the 32 player server but only when they're on a big map. It's pretty exciting to be part of a huge swarm attack or a mass marine firing line. It scratches the Starship troopers itch. They're popular for a reason and it'd be pretty awesome if the creators took notice and changed/added a few things around to help balance the game around larger scale wars. Mainly more defenses for early game aliens and more options for the late game exo rush. Onos have difficulty with that many marines.

For some reason the PRO SCENE still insists on playing 6vs6 and nothing else. OK sure, that was probably a good choice for CS in 2000, but come on. If the competitive matches were played at 8vs8 (and the game was balanced accordingly) pub servers could easily be playable at 22 players or maybe even 24.

snaga
Jan 6, 2005

Terboh posted:

Completely, yes. I can get a steady 50ish FPS at 1440x900, whereas before I was getting around 30-15 depending on the situation running 800x600. Dunno if the optimizations were specific to whatever problems I was having, but I got a gigantic boost.

Oh my. Nice timing on the sale and free weekend.

Speaking of, I might actually get some kills this weekend. :unsmith:

snaga
Jan 6, 2005

Stick100 posted:

Honestly if you care about the game we really need players/purchases. Whenever I've logged on it looks like there are less than 100 players playing, that is way too low for a multi-player only game to continue to succeed.

I wonder if at any given time if more people are playing NS1 than NS2.

Huh? I'm pretty sure it's never been 100 or less.

http://steamgraph.net/index.php?action=graph&jstime=1&appid=4920&from=1346446800000&to=1363989600000

I guess that's the daily average. Lowest I've seen is something like 400 or 500.

snaga
Jan 6, 2005

M. Propagandalf posted:

Played skulk and kept thinking there was a button 3 for leap until eventually figuring out it's the RMB now.

RMB is for jump everyone knows that!

snaga
Jan 6, 2005

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Is there a good guide to playing Fade out there? I always end up sitting on 70+ resources because I suck horribly at anything but skulk.

Not what you asked, but it's pretty easy to be useful as a noob lerk. You can quite effectively deny an area (from up to three marines) with just spikes, even if you don't actually manage to kill anyone. As long as you stay in the air and don't stop strafing they can't really surprise you from across the hallway. Even following skulks from a distance and spraying poo poo in the marines' general direction helps the skulks quite a bit -- hit a marine once and the skulk only needs two bites to finish them off.

With fade I find that blinking up and then shadow stepping down works pretty well. You can't really fly with shadow step but you'll get nice speeds when you point it downwards. Also, like skulk bite, you should pretty much never just hold down the blink button or you'll run out of energy very quickly.

If you want to practise moving around with the fade, even just blinking in and out of rooms means the marines will have to pay a lot more attention to you (fade incoming to base!! omg) and it will always draw at least some attention and fire away from the smaller aliens. Really good players will focus on something they can actually kill, but most will just spray at you with the LMG and then they'll be out of ammo with a skulk in their face. That said if it's even three LMG marines (or one shotgun) you have to be very careful. You should always be either coming or going, never lingering.

snaga
Jan 6, 2005

I've been playing this poo poo since 2002 and I'm still not that guy. I die to skulks so much. :negative:

snaga
Jan 6, 2005

Garfu posted:

Also I think I'm going to take off NS2Stats and the Icons mod so people with filter modded on will be able to see it, maybe that's why it's not always populated.

Seems there's a version of NS2Stats that doesn't flag the server: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2088664/#Comment_2088664

snaga
Jan 6, 2005

Ok I got beer and a can of Ben & Jerry's let's do this.

snaga
Jan 6, 2005

They should show more first person fades and lerks, potential new players watching the stream would flip.

snaga
Jan 6, 2005

gariig posted:

Good news it's on sale! It's $10 on Greenmangaming if you use GMG20-GGN5D-FC3NA.

It's actually 50% off on Steam also.

snaga
Jan 6, 2005

Welp. Seems like they were gonna stream for 4 hours in any case, hence that ridiculous filler. Must be kind of hard to make a schedule when it can be 5 games or 9 games with each one lasting 1-45 minutes.

snaga
Jan 6, 2005

I thought you landed in Germany thursday morning? Or was that just UWE?

snaga
Jan 6, 2005

That Bitey fellow has some videos up: http://www.youtube.com/user/lXenobytel/videos?view=0

snaga
Jan 6, 2005

Garfu posted:

I got there 8pm Thursday night. By then I had been up 30, when I finally had a chance to sleep that night, I shared a bed with one of my team members who literally flipped over and slapped me several times. The rooms were 80 degreeswith no air conditioning and we couldn't open a window, neither of us slept more than an hour. By the time the event happened I had been up > 50 hours.

Aww man, that's not good. I've been up for 40+ hours just once or twice and I was totally flipping out by the end. I seriously couldn't imagine doing anything productive or anything requiring a brain in that state. You should give them feedback, hopefully they can improve the logistics side of it if they do more of these in the future.

snaga
Jan 6, 2005

http://www.reddit.com/user/Beltaidan lol

snaga
Jan 6, 2005

Any chance we could get some goon PUG action going sometime? Although I don't know if we can invite Garfu, dude's just gonna stomp us. :saddowns:

Edit:

snaga fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 15, 2013

snaga
Jan 6, 2005

Eh, %appdata% has user data plus mods. 252 MB for me.

snaga
Jan 6, 2005

That was fun! Friendly advice though: If you're a skulk and you hear Garfu is on the field, for the love of god stay on the other side of the map. :negative:

snaga
Jan 6, 2005

It says 462 servers in the top right corner for me, regardless of any sliders or filter buttons I click. I've heard similar problems from other people so I guess there's some weird bug.

snaga
Jan 6, 2005

Not sure if relevant: "Server list empty? Is probably a corrupt cache, clear your "%appdata%\Natural Selection 2" folder."

You could try using something like this as a workaround: http://hypernovadesign.co.uk/nanogrid/

snaga
Jan 6, 2005

What does their engine choice have to do with the server browser? Anyway, they started out with Source and decided it wasn't good for them and what they were trying to do. Can't really comment on that without knowing more and/or being a C++ programmer. Also I'm pretty sure they didn't have a million dollars lying around for Unreal Engine 3. Remember this was in 2006, UE3 was the hottest poo poo around and the free development kit (free to use, Epic gets 25% of revenue) didn't exist yet.

snaga
Jan 6, 2005

Supernorn posted:

Slightly unsubtle there :P

I don't get it. :(

snaga
Jan 6, 2005

AgentF posted:

OpenGL might mean Linux NS2?

Exactly, it might. They aren't working on it yet though (except, you know, what was just posted) and the only thing they've promised is the Linux server.

snaga
Jan 6, 2005

Totally fine with it as long as I can devour exos.

snaga
Jan 6, 2005

Limastock posted:

The trick is to jump from wall to wall as a skull to build your momentum before you enter a room full of marines. You will engage them at a high speed (higher than running with celerity) and they will miss a lot more shots. Also never run on the ground as a skulk and never engage enemies in corridors.

Yeah, seriously. Walljumping. Learn it. I've always sucked horribly at SKILL-BASED MOVEMENT in shooters, but it's almost easymode now when you can hold the jump key and jump again as soon as you touch the ground. There's also the feedback sound you get when you're successfully doing it. I have no idea if I'm doing it correctly, but if you just try not to touch the ground twice in a row and jump slightly downward from the walls you'll be gaining quite a bit of momentum. Early game skulk is so much more satisfying now than it was before build 250 or whatever it was.

I'll admit that bunnyhoppin', sideways-leapin' marines in NS1 were always infuriating to me, but you can learn to expect if not predict their movements. And with that extra speed you have they can't just outjump you like they could in some builds. Considering how horribly I always die as a marine versus skulks, I can see how giving them at least some mobility could be a good thing.

snaga
Jan 6, 2005

Try deleting everything mentioned here: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131428/obby-s-full-nuke-ns2-guide-only-way-to-be-sure

snaga
Jan 6, 2005

GenericOverusedName posted:

So I didn't know the patch had dropped until late last night. I figured, just one game on the new map before I go to sleep, it won't be so bad.

Game ended up with TSF holed up in Marine Start for an hour and a loving half.

Seems like they've managed to capture the essence of ns_eclipse!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snaga
Jan 6, 2005

Bolow posted:

I'm above whatever the hell passes for average but I'll get loving shredded by people that play this game competitively. Problem is the hive has me at like 7hrs played instead of the like 150+ that I have so I'm relegated to newbie servers for the near future :smith:

If you're from North America you should try the TGNS servers. I'm not, and I'll still rather play there with 150ms ping than pick a random server from Europe. Friendly (even noob-friendly) and communicative atmosphere with good-but-not-quite-comp-level players.

http://rr.tacticalgamer.com/

• Locked thread