Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Assassination Classroom
is the latest manga by the author Yuusei Matsui. His only previous work is Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro, which is a bit of a cult classic. Anyone coming into this from that should know what to expect - bizarre perspectives, quirky humor, and giant monsters used as symbolism. Assassination Classroom does not fail to deliver.

The story follows the teaching career of a strange squidmonster who is possibly from space, known only by the name his students gave him, Koro-sensei. Last month, Koro-Sensei blew up the moon, and he has threatened to blow up the entire planet Earth in one year. With what we know about Koro-sensei, he can absolutely do it.

However, Koro-sensei has a strange hangup. Specifically, he has always wanted to be a schoolteacher, so he struck a deal with the UN. In exchange for being a teacher for one year in a school of his choosing and for a class of his choosing, Koro-sensei must also teach his students how to be expert assassins. If Koro-sensei is still alive by the time they graduate, he'll blow up the world. Getting killed is against his interests, but so is being anything less than the best teacher.

Will a class of normal human middle school children be able to kill Koro-sensei within a year? Who the heck knows. We're gonna find out.

THE CHARACTERS

There's a lot of characters, as is typical of a manga with a full classroom roster, as seen here:

The most important characters are:

Koro Sensei

The strange creature who blew up the moon. Motive unknown. He may or may not bother bored psychics in his spare time.

Shiota Nagisa

Click the image to link to the artist who did the panel redraw.

Nagisa is theoretically our main character, but everyone knows the main character is Koro-sensei. Nagisa keeps a notebook filled with every one of Koro-sensei's weaknesses, filled in as he finds them.

Tadaomi Karasuma

Karasuma sensei is the secret agent sent in by the UN to watch over the operation to kill Koro-sensei, and he is in charge of the operation. He is undercover as the class's homeroom teacher, and supplies them with literally any weaponry or devices the class could possibly need, if it will help them kill Koro-sensei.

Akabane Karma

Karma is the student most dedicated to trying to kill Koro-sensei. He is probably a psychopath.

Irina Jelavic

Also known as Genuine Assassin, Bitch-sensei is a professional assassin hired by the UN to try to kill Koro-sensei. Like Karasuma, she is also undercover as a teacher.

RECEPTION

Assassination Classroom was originally posted in and discussed in the Life Is Best With A Daily Dose of the Absurd: Surreal Daily Life Mangas thread. However, over in Japan, this series has exploded with popularity. In September, Assassination Classroom was number 1 in Weekly Shonen Jump's monthly popularity poll (dethroning even One Piece), and the Shuueisha comic staff has said that the amount of advertising and print counts going into AC is around the same amount and hype as when One Piece volume 1 came out back in 1997. They even put this on their building:

It's safe to say we can expect a lot out of this.

I NEED MORE. UPDATES WHEN?

Assassination Classroom is published in Weekly Shonen Jump, and as such, new chapters come out about once a week. Sometimes they are slow getting translated, however, which can be very frustrating. Follow this thread; I am sure links will be posted as they become available.

In closing, volume 1 of the manga has a fantastic cover.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Dec 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

What?

I mean..... uh...

What?

Looks pleasantly surreal.

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Nov 4, 2012

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

D1Sergo posted:

What?

I mean..... uh...

What?

If you're asking about the strange things he is saying, that's a Japanese ritual at the beginning of class. One of the students, the one on day duty, will call everyone to rise, and then they all bow to their teacher. The teacher will then take attendance.

If you're wondering about what's up with Koro-sensei being a weird tentacle monster, we're trying to figure that out still.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

This looks metal as hell and I will read it all now

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The comic is definitely fantastic, I wonder what it felt like when the author heard "hey, you beat One Piece".

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
So I don't read manga, I've watched only three or four animes, and finding this thread was entirely accidental, but god drat, the concept was just too surreal to pass up. Koro-Sensei's design is absolutely fantastic, and he's really an amazingly weird character. Thank you for pointing this one out.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Goddamn it gnome7, I was going to make this thread to distract from my election woes. :argh: This is a cool thread and thanks for making it The thread tag is appropriate as well.

I'm sort of wondering where this is going. Naturally, the first few chapters have been about getting the main characters established. I hope we learn about the woman in the first chapter and that "promise" Koro-sensei made.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Octodad's estranged cousin teaches school.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
So I'm about halfway through and can I just say that this is absolutely incredible and that everyone should read it?

Because this is absolutely incredible and everyone should read it.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Incidentally, do we have any actual evidence that Korosensei is the one who destroyed the moon? Because this premise would make a lot of sense if Koro was actually training the kids to take on the REAL threat, who isn't nearly this cooperative.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

ProfessorProf posted:

Incidentally, do we have any actual evidence that Korosensei is the one who destroyed the moon? Because this premise would make a lot of sense if Koro was actually training the kids to take on the REAL threat, who isn't nearly this cooperative.

We don't have such evidence. But it's a more interesting story if Korosensei really was the one who destroyed the moon and he's genuinely training the kids for his own mysterious (but sincere and honest) purposes.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

JosephWongKS posted:

We don't have such evidence. But it's a more interesting story if Korosensei really was the one who destroyed the moon and he's genuinely training the kids for his own mysterious (but sincere and honest) purposes.

Clearly he's uplifting mankind so we can participate in the assassination-driven galactic society that awaits us.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Also gently caress the protagonist's hair

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Koro-Sensei's different faces are fantastic. He's a living emoticon. Until the teeth come out. Oh god, those teeth...

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

ProfessorProf posted:

I really hope they don't do this because of how obvious it is.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
There's like one line where someone says he intended to be humanity's savior but now will be it's destroyer. People keep calling him an alien too, but he's stated that he is from earth.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

It's been pinned! :woop: Rate 5, go hogwild!

JosephWongKS posted:

This seems a little too obvious, but I wouldn't mind it as long as it was done well. Apparently Neuro was good, so I have faith in the author.

I think I'd find it more interesting if Kuro-sensei was just one in an organization that was targeting the Earth or something. It ups backstory potential at any rate.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

WickedIcon posted:

I really hope they don't do this because of how obvious it is.

Same. Though I can see that happening because of how, for lack of a better term, shounen jump-y that would be.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Zorak posted:

Also gently caress the protagonist's hair

It looks like Touhou-girl hair which is mostly only okay if you are a Touhou girl, not a shounen-manga boy.

I just started reading this and aside from that it's pretty great, though!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Falls Down Stairs posted:

It looks like Touhou-girl hair which is mostly only okay if you are a Touhou girl, not a shounen-manga boy.

It looks like a bird. Like it's about to fly off! I can almost imagine him twitching it like Chiyo in Azumanga Daioh. :3:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
A thing that bothers me if you approach the topic realistically even if he's otherwise invulnerable, wouldn't suicide tactics work extraordinarily well against him? I mean, Karma did that one fall and attack thing, but there are methods that are so large in their range that it'd be pretty infallible, I'd think.

They could just let a nuke go off and take out the entire district. His reaction time isn't nearly quick enough to evade that :v: And even if he could, he'd be betraying his teacher agreement by letting all those kids die, so he'd be forced to die one way or another.

Maybe this will come up later as the timeline gets shorter? Dunno.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Zorak posted:

Maybe this will come up later as the timeline gets shorter? Dunno.

Yeah, I figure they probably don't want to drop a nuke unless they've exhausted every other option. It still may not come up, but at the moment it's pretty justifiable.

Anyway, this manga's pretty entertaining. I was surprised to hear how popular it is - I heard quirky Shonen Jump manga and assumed it was on the verge of cancellation :v:.

CelestialCookie
Oct 23, 2012

I See Dead People
One thing that I admire the most from this manga is the humors are not outdated, especially if you read there was a Jesus franco painting in the 16th chapter. This manga is relatively new yet it already beat One Piece once in the TOC, that's why Shueisha getting really excited about making this series a huge hit.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Dr_Amazing posted:

There's like one line where someone says he intended to be humanity's savior but now will be it's destroyer. People keep calling him an alien too, but he's stated that he is from earth.

There's a short scene during one of the chapters of Korosensei's past that implied he used to be human.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

RatHat posted:

There's a short scene during one of the chapters of Korosensei's past that implied he used to be human.

Where was this? I'm caught up now and I don't remember anything like that at all.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

CelestialCookie posted:

One thing that I admire the most from this manga is the humors are not outdated, especially if you read there was a Jesus franco painting in the 16th chapter. This manga is relatively new yet it already beat One Piece once in the TOC, that's why Shueisha getting really excited about making this series a huge hit.

This series is fantastic quality-wise, but I'm not sure that it's commercially wise for Shueisha to invest in its marketing as heavily as they seem to be doing. Given the one-year deadline inherent to the plot and its relatively fast pace (they've already finished a mid-term exam and are on to a school trip), there's no way the series can be a 1,000+ chapter long-runner like One Piece or Naruto.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Where was this? I'm caught up now and I don't remember anything like that at all.

Ok maybe I was just looking too much into it/misremembering, but he looks half-human Here and combined with him saying he's from Earth.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

JosephWongKS posted:

This series is fantastic quality-wise, but I'm not sure that it's commercially wise for Shueisha to invest in its marketing as heavily as they seem to be doing. Given the one-year deadline inherent to the plot and its relatively fast pace (they've already finished a mid-term exam and are on to a school trip), there's no way the series can be a 1,000+ chapter long-runner like One Piece or Naruto.

Well, there does seem to be plenty of hinting that there's more to the plot than what's immediately apparent from the premise, so it might just have room to grow into something (who knows what). Oda had a pretty long term plan for One Piece early on in its lifetime if I recall correctly, so perhaps Matsui is already known to have a long-term plan for this?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Well, there does seem to be plenty of hinting that there's more to the plot than what's immediately apparent from the premise, so it might just have room to grow into something (who knows what). Oda had a pretty long term plan for One Piece early on in its lifetime if I recall correctly, so perhaps Matsui is already known to have a long-term plan for this?
Oda said One Piece was originally planned for 5 years and also we would be almost to Fishman Island after Skypiea. :shepface:

I agree though, Matsui probably has a long-term plan he's at least run by his editor. This would be just the series to throw us for a loop and not be straight-forward at all.

CelestialCookie
Oct 23, 2012

I See Dead People

JosephWongKS posted:

I think my measurement for a mega-hit is not always determined by whether a manga can survive a long-run serialization like One Piece or Naruto. Death Note, for example,only has 12 volumes, but can be considered very successful. Judging by very restrictive plot, I can only imagine this series runs for 25-30 volumes.

I agree that Shueisha's marketing plan for AC might not be commercially wise, though. HQ , Nisekoi and PSI Kusuo Sainan, which are having considerable success in JUMP, do not get any promotion as big as AC. I wonder what's make AC so special since the very beginning.

EDIT: Matsui's long term plan might be exist, but to be honest at this point I cannot imagine the premise could grow any broader.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Autumncomet posted:

Oda said One Piece was originally planned for 5 years and also we would be almost to Fishman Island after Skypiea. :shepface:

But Oda didn't say in chapter 1 that Luffy had to reach Raftel and find One Piece in one year's time or the world would be destroyed. There was plenty of space for the plot and the number of characters to expand.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

More advertising. :stare:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The worst part of this manga is that there aren't more chapters released yet :saddowns:

God drat, I love this thing. I can't wait for more.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Autumncomet posted:

More advertising. :stare:

Holy poo poo, that really is One Piece-scale advertising.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
My current mostly baseless theory is that Korosensei has no intention of destroying Earth, he just concocted this whole plan, blowing up the moon included, so that he could become a teacher as a horrible squid-monster.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

GoatLord posted:

My current mostly baseless theory is that Korosensei has no intention of destroying Earth, he just concocted this whole plan, blowing up the moon included, so that he could become a teacher as a horrible squid-monster.

I would be entirely okay with this twist, especially considering the class he chose to teach. Class E needed something like Koro-sensei to bring them back into the game.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
This is actually a really good series. I'm loving it so far, though I have no idea how they'll get too many volumes out of it before it starts to feel drawn out. But I'm more than happy to give it a try.

Goddamn though if Nagisa's hair isn't a mess. He's drat near the most feminine looking character shy of bitch-sensei as is, and his hair doesn't help.

Kinda look forward to this getting an anime too, which if it keeps being this popular has to be just about a certainty.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
So poking around the web to see what other folks think of this series,

people have nicknamed it "AssClass".

:geno:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's a proud tradition, continuing on the precedent that AssBro pioneered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What have you against the fine pedigree of AssCreed :colbert:

• Locked thread