Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
It's better than nothing, though! And it's the only way to play Monster World IV with an official English translation (unless someone dumps the translation from the download version and makes themselves a repro cart.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

HKR posted:

VC/emulation just isn't good enough for this thread

I agree; yet I find a port acceptable if it's not emulation. Meaning Street Fighter Collection on PS2 = no good. But FFVI GBA = good. What the hell is wrong with me?

Oh and you guys posting huge awesome opinions on games are going to kick my OCD into gear and force me to get every single one of them. :retro games: :ohdear: :retro games:

Also, I finally got around to shipping everyone's retro freebies; sorry it took a bit.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
In case you haven't heard, the Wii to Wii U data transfer will bring all your purchases over. Good for those who made many VC purchases (i.e. Me).

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I agree; yet I find a port acceptable if it's not emulation. Meaning Street Fighter Collection on PS2 = no good. But FFVI GBA = good. What the hell is wrong with me?

Oh and you guys posting huge awesome opinions on games are going to kick my OCD into gear and force me to get every single one of them. :retro games: :ohdear: :retro games:

Also, I finally got around to shipping everyone's retro freebies; sorry it took a bit.

Being a fighting game player, I can see some merit to stuff like the Street Fighter Collection. Even if the emulation isn't entirely accurate, those newer compilations have stuff the original versions did not like training modes for practice.

Also awesome, Sandy can't keep the retro man down.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
For a while I have been wanting to share my favourite SNES cartridge: Super 3D Noah's Ark (or Super Noah's Ark 3D). It's a cool game that has rumours of it having licensed the Wolfenstein 3D engine from iD due to how neutered the game was. It's one of I think two pass-through games ever created for the console.

As you can see, it requires a game to be inserted on top.

However, the catch is that the game must not make use of the accessory pins nor can it be anything other than North American.

It also does not fit properly into a Super Famicom or a PAL SNES.

But no matter, a bit of work can make it work and using this method you could probably plug Star Fox at the top.

Pretty easy to take apart with a gamebit--only two screws.

Pretty simple circuitry as well.

Funny how "Color Dreams" shows up on the right of the back side of the cartridge.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I've always wanted to come across a copy of that in real life! I thought it specifically needed Wolfenstein 3D though. It just uses a real cart to pass the piracy checks then?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

OSI bean dip posted:

But no matter, a bit of work can make it work and using this method you could probably plug Star Fox at the top.

A contender appears to challenge the famous Leaning Tower of Sega?

e. but for real I want a copy of that, that tickles my obscure/bizarre/unlicensed fetish nicely. Look at that thing!

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

ACID POLICE posted:

I've always wanted to come across a copy of that in real life! I thought it specifically needed Wolfenstein 3D though. It just uses a real cart to pass the piracy checks then?

I lucked out one day and saw it for $50 CAD at a flea market. It works just wonderfully on my SNES and almost any cart (sans those with DSPs, Super FX, etc) can be plugged into the top to bypass the checks. I might eventually do a bit more research into this for you guys but I have a job and stuff that makes me money on the side, so.

Code Jockey posted:

A contender appears to challenge the famous Leaning Tower of Sega?

e. but for real I want a copy of that, that tickles my obscure/bizarre/unlicensed fetish nicely. Look at that thing!

If people want to send me random poo poo to replicate that image, I am game. I don't have a Game Genie for my SNES so I am willing to do this. :)

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
Scary. I decided to check for the game on eBay and it goes for anywhere between $250 and $300 CAD. I got it for a relatively low price.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

OSI bean dip posted:

Scary. I decided to check for the game on eBay and it goes for anywhere between $250 and $300 CAD. I got it for a relatively low price.

Zounds... http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...&_dmd=1&_ipg=50

Must be good! :haw:

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

HKR posted:

VC/emulation just isn't good enough for this thread

I actually disagree with this personally, but don't really bring it up here because of the anti-emulation sentiment. For my needs and I would argue most people's needs, 16-bit and prior eras are effectively solved problems. I'm a technocrat. :shrug:

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I just thought of another idea that can go in the OP somewhere if it hasn't been mentioned: People like me who prefer emulators, but want to hook their PC up to a big flat-screen TV and want the best overlays possible to make the games look close to a sperged-out RGB setup.

Maybe a small section dedicated to optimal settings on popular emulators (Nestopia, bSNES, Fusion, ePSXe, Project64, etc. etc.) or places to download the best overlays?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
^^ This is a good idea, like I keep pimping emulators on Android, I think it'd be nice to have a spot for Goon Approved(c) emulators on whatever platforms. There's a lot out there and it'd be nice to say "just go use ______ it's the best and here's why"

Antillese posted:

I actually disagree with this personally, but don't really bring it up here because of the anti-emulation sentiment. For my needs and I would argue most people's needs, 16-bit and prior eras are effectively solved problems. I'm a technocrat. :shrug:

I think emulation serves a good purpose, and I think playing on real hardware serves a good purpose too. Related to what you said though, emulation certainly has exposed newer generations to games which they normally probably wouldn't go through the effort of acquiring real hardware to play, and it exposes even active collectors to extremely rare stuff, so I think it's a generally beneficial and good thing.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

What are some super famicom carts that contain a surprising amount of English that you guys would recommend? I stumbled upon a game tonight, Dragon's Earth, that as far as I can tell is entirely in English.

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Because there's always an ending.

Code Jockey posted:

I think emulation serves a good purpose, and I think playing on real hardware serves a good purpose too. Related to what you said though, emulation certainly has exposed newer generations to games which they normally probably wouldn't go through the effort of acquiring real hardware to play, and it exposes even active collectors to extremely rare stuff, so I think it's a generally beneficial and good thing.

I agree with this, and really it allows people to play games that they might then want to hunt down hard copies of. There are several games I would have never heard of if it hadn't been for emulation, and plenty that I would never be able to play because of their rarity (like Little Samson). I'm not really the kind of collector who wants every game for a console, I only want the games I enjoy actually playing. Do I prefer playing a game on actual hardware? Absolutely, but emulation/VC serves an important purpose.

Also pretend I said something useful about fan translations in there somewhere. I would've never been able to play For The Frog The Bell Tolls, and that would be just a downright tragedy.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

iastudent posted:

What are some super famicom carts that contain a surprising amount of English that you guys would recommend? I stumbled upon a game tonight, Dragon's Earth, that as far as I can tell is entirely in English.
Super Ninja-Kun and the Parodius series are good games with little to no language barrier.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Emulation is great, it's mostly responsible for my 100% impeccable taste in games second only to getting really lucky with my Christmas/birthday presents as a kid, but if I'm going to actually sit down and seriously play a video game I'm going to want to do it on the original hardware. I dunno, call me a purist, I just want to play the games exactly as they were intended to be played. Obviously exceptions have to be made for the games that go for crazy prices, but what can you do.

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 8, 2012

welp
Nov 3, 2007

DEAR GOD
Got my Genesis SCART cable and now my SNES looks terrible by comparison. I'm thinking even though its serial starts with 3 (301404002 to be precise) it can't be a 1chip because of how much muddier it looks than the Genesis. Why does it even matter to me! I was happy before!

Oh, and I had no idea some SCART switches were better than others. Tried to see if my lovely one (cheap silver thing from earlier in the thread) was giving off distortion and it's definitely throwing up some faint, wavy lines. Thanks a lot, goons! Now I'll see that forever!

I need an optical mod snes mini so I can a) bypass the scart switch entirely and b) have no possible reason to complain about quality.

I hate myself.l :retrogames:

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I respect the purists. Hell, I used to be one forever. But nowadays when I'm an adult with :airquote: responsibilities :airquote: and don't have the time, money, or the room right now to turn a tiny apartment into a laboratory of video game wires and doodads, I'm just interested in the next best thing. I was under the impression that this thread was a more "retro" gaming thread instead of a "hardware purist" thread, and I think all retro gamers should post in here about games and poo poo no matter how they play them.

Besides, with newbies realizing that they really did have it better as a kid, at least as far as video games go, you'll have more purists in training if they decide to go down that route. :)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

OSI bean dip posted:

For a while I have been wanting to share my favourite SNES cartridge: Super 3D Noah's Ark (or Super Noah's Ark 3D). It's a cool game that has rumours of it having licensed the Wolfenstein 3D engine from iD due to how neutered the game was.
IIRC Id mentioned years ago that Wisdom Tree paid to license the Wolf3D code like any other company (the rumor was that Id gave them it for free out of spite for Nintendo. The SNES Wolf3D port had a bit of a disasterous development cycle, so you'd be forgiven for believing that rumor...)

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

OSI bean dip posted:

If people want to send me random poo poo to replicate that image, I am game. I don't have a Game Genie for my SNES so I am willing to do this. :)

If having a SNES Game Genie will help you do anything awesome with that game, I will be more than happy to lend you mine

Charles Martel posted:

I was under the impression that this thread was a more "retro" gaming thread instead of a "hardware purist" thread, and I think all retro gamers should post in here about games and poo poo no matter how they play them.

No reason to get upset, this is a retro games thread, but you also should realize that this thread is populated very heavily by people who are not only serious hardware nerds, but purist in the sense that many of us are strict about playing on real hardware because the imperfections caused by emulation bug us too much (it's kind of like going into an audiophile thread and complaining that everyone there is losing their poo poo because you listen to MP3's)

You (and nobody else) should feel deterred at all from talking about retro games, we encourage retro games discussion! We're just going to keep nerding out and making fun of people who use emulators :) It shouldn't stop anyone from doing what they enjoy.

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 8, 2012

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I'd also like to point out that without emulation, I bet a lot fewer people would get to enjoy the TG16.

And that is just sad. That is simply not something I am okay with, at all.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I wasn't discouraging the usage of emulators or anything, because I completely agree, and it's the only way I've been able to enjoy countless bizarre systems.

(On an unrelated note though, not only did my Ukraine Post tracking for my SD2SNES start updating already, it's located in KYIV DOPP TSEKH №2 TRANZ SEKTOR which is the coolest name for a post office I've ever heard)

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

ACID POLICE posted:

I wasn't discouraging the usage of emulators or anything, because I completely agree, and it's the only way I've been able to enjoy countless bizarre systems.

(On an unrelated note though, not only did my Ukraine Post tracking for my SD2SNES start updating already, it's located in KYIV DOPP TSEKH №2 TRANZ SEKTOR which is the coolest name for a post office I've ever heard)

That sounds like an Ancient Soviet Union listening post.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So, the vampire boss in Ys...

Is it just broken in the psp version or is it supposed to be nearly impossible with maxed out levels and the best gear you can have at that point in the game?

Because I'm not even coming close to beating the bastard.

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Because there's always an ending.

ACID POLICE posted:

Post office? I'm preeeeeetty sure its being shipped from a number station.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

welp posted:

Oh, and I had no idea some SCART switches were better than others. Tried to see if my lovely one (cheap silver thing from earlier in the thread) was giving off distortion and it's definitely throwing up some faint, wavy lines. Thanks a lot, goons! Now I'll see that forever!

I need an optical mod snes mini so I can a) bypass the scart switch entirely and b) have no possible reason to complain about quality.

I hate myself.l :retrogames:

Some things to know about SCART switches.
1: As you know some of them are just bad with lots of interference and cross talk going on.
2: The really cheap ones don't have wires between all the pins, the RGB ones are often missing. This means that even though you're using a SCART cable you're only getting composite video out of it with some of switches.

ACID POLICE posted:

It shouldn't stop anyone from doing what they enjoy.
To add to that, even though we're sperging about all the hardware all of us doesn't really own all of it either so I think a lot of us hardware purists emulate things to a high degree as well.

Pinguliten fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Nov 8, 2012

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
If you're gonna be a purist then unless you are rich or live near Funspot or something, there goes any real opportunity to play a vast cross section of arcade games :engleft:

Personally, playing on real hardware when feasible almost always beats emulation for me, but really the only time emulation just isn't good enough is when there are noticeable glitches or it's a game I have played on real hardware and I can notice any differences. When it's done well, though, emulation isn't much different from any other sort of porting in terms of user experience.

That said, I never played many NES ROMs when I had a bunch of them in a folder. That sort of experience just isn't the same.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Another benefit of emulators is that some of than can be used for net play. I've had lots of fun playing Beavis and Butthead on the genesis coop on the net.

Sooooo... We need to figure out the best emulators for netplay as well. I want to play with goons.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Code Jockey posted:

I'd also like to point out that without emulation, I bet a lot fewer people would get to enjoy the TG16.

And that is just sad. That is simply not something I am okay with, at all.

And with out emulation, I never would have discovered Captain Novolin for the SNES.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Antillese posted:

There's really no anti-emulation sentiment here! I envy people who are fine with emulators. I 100% convinced myself that even with all these consoles, after giving up on emulation, I would never buy an N64 because emulation actually improves the graphics vastly. Here I am now, with an N64.

Charles Martel posted:

I just thought of another idea that can go in the OP somewhere if it hasn't been mentioned: People like me who prefer emulators, but want to hook their PC up to a big flat-screen TV and want the best overlays possible to make the games look close to a sperged-out RGB setup.

Maybe a small section dedicated to optimal settings on popular emulators (Nestopia, bSNES, Fusion, ePSXe, Project64, etc. etc.) or places to download the best overlays?

I will definitely add this to the OP; just gotta work on it. I would love this because I tried a bunch of SNES emulators for the iPhone and I found that out of 3, only 1 gave me acceptable video options. Would be nice to have the information written so that others don't have to waste time figuring it out for themselves.

Discount Viscount posted:

That said, I never played many NES ROMs when I had a bunch of them in a folder. That sort of experience just isn't the same.

And this is exactly my problem. It's kind of like when I was a kid and bought some albums on cassette, and some on CD. Almost all of my favorite albums ended up being the ones on tape because I was "forced" to listen to it in its entirety rather than easily skip tracks.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Yeah, I think the popular sentiment in this thread is that original hardware is better but if you don't have that option then emulation is probably good enough. I've brought up a lot of emulation stuff in the past couple weeks and no one has told me, "Why are you buying those emulated versions?" Just the opposite, really. There seems to be a lot of fondness for the retro collections around here.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
I'm not sure I can put shadowrun in the "great" section.

After longing for that game since it's release. And finally getting it for my bday last June from a friend. I can say that I was REALLY REALLY disappointed in the game. It was just a bunch of "go get dude from building. escort dude to other building..".

Even if viewed from a PNP standpoint. Nothing felt good in this game. Combat was lackluster and until you figure out how to get money easily, the street combat was annoying as all hell. Cyberware didn't really feel good. You had to really play this game as if you were playing a bad PNP session with a GM that just liked running from building to building with random dudes to protect. I love PNP, but I should not be expected (even in the 8-16 bit era of gaming) to use my imagination to make the game come to life.

The matrix idea was alot better than the SNES version though. But still really easy to cheese. Half the programs are not worth using at all. I wish someone could mod (probably not possible) the Genesis matrix runs, into the SNES adevnture platform. That would be the perfect old school shadowrun game.

I don't know, maybe I should sit down and put some more time into it. I only played it for about 2.5 hours before deciding it was utter crap and shelving it. I managed to get to the second city, after spending the first hour trying to figure out what the gently caress I was supposed to be doing.

My gripes on Shadowrun aside, that was a very good post. And being as I was a Nintendo fanboy in my youth. I was actually wondering what games on the genesis I should try pursuing. Thanks!

On the emulation front. I'm totally ok with it. Even though I am a purist. If it gets people exposed to what is my opinion, a better era of gaming, then it is a good thing. Today's games, with very few exceptions, are just too stupidly easy. So you don't get that great emotional payoff when you beat them. Today beating a game is drat near a given, again with some exceptions.

So a question for you emulator types. Do you hook up your SNES/NES/GEN/etc controller to the pc? and if so how, and what program do you use to translate the buttons? I really feel an emulator section should be in the OP. I have not had very good success with them, but I also have not tried in about 10 years.

*edit* *grumble* can't type gooder befor mornin coffee's.. fixed poo poo.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 8, 2012

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
So I'm curious, anyone have any experience with the SNES games Super Black Bass / Bassin's Black Bass?

I used to love them when I was a kid, never had a fishing game I liked as much as those. I'm looking on ebay, and SBB is like half the price of the sequel, BBB. I am curious if it's a matter of BBB being that much better than the original, or just a rarity thing. Both games are kind of blending together in my mind.

VVV wow I forgot all about Nightshade. I remember reading about it in Nintendo Power, I think they had a few really detailed features on it.

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 8, 2012

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Shadowrun falls into the pit that a lot of early RPGs did. The hardest part is always the beginning but once your character becomes capable enough to handle themself without an immediate trip to the inn to heal the entire game opens up. The concept helps carry the game but there's literally nothing else like Shadowrun so all those smaller elements added up to a game I just couldn't ignore on the platform.

I can't say the SNES version is a better game, either. It suffers from a lot of running around, spamming keywords, and grinding to get past mandatory super hard boss fights too early into the game. Both games are great in their own right and I can't say which one is clearly superior. I will say the company that did the SNES version made a really far out NES game called Nightshade that's worth checking out. If the SNES Shadowrun had a greater focus on the point-and-click aspects like Nightshade and less boring combat I would call it a clear winner.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

al-azad posted:

Shadowrun falls into the pit that a lot of early RPGs did. The hardest part is always the beginning but once your character becomes capable enough to handle themself without an immediate trip to the inn to heal the entire game opens up. The concept helps carry the game but there's literally nothing else like Shadowrun so all those smaller elements added up to a game I just couldn't ignore on the platform.

I can't say the SNES version is a better game, either. It suffers from a lot of running around, spamming keywords, and grinding to get past mandatory super hard boss fights too early into the game. Both games are great in their own right and I can't say which one is clearly superior. I will say the company that did the SNES version made a really far out NES game called Nightshade that's worth checking out. If the SNES Shadowrun had a greater focus on the point-and-click aspects like Nightshade and less boring combat I would call it a clear winner.

Yeah I may have to give it another spin. I think the thing that turned me off in comparison to the SNES version, is there was almost no direction at the start. I (embarrassed to admit this) spent that first hour just trying to figure out what the gently caress to do. And even ended up resorting to a game faq just to get the basics of the first area understood. That probably turned me off to the rest of the game and made me feel like a bad retro gamer. And once I got to the second city and started on the story, it still felt just like doing the first city.

I feel the SNES version handled the story line immersion/mechanics a lot better. And the combat, at least to me was more enjoyable. Sure it got annoying at times, but combat in almost any RPG gets annoying at times. Keyword spamming didn't really bother me too much either. You kind of had to do that in the Genesis version as well with the conversation choices. It was just narrower.

Also, in the graphics and immersion side, there were more character pallets, and usually when you talked to someone it wasn't walking into a hole in the bar and talking to a window. There was a character on screen that you had to initiate interaction with.

This is just my opinion, not trying to degrade your love of the game. And I promise, I will dedicate a day to playing this sometime within the next month. Maybe if I play through further it will change. I hope so, cause I had really high hopes for this game. I just fail at this point to see how it was on par with the SNES version.

On that note. We should do a monthly "play this game today" thing. Select a game to be played over a weekend day at least a month in advance to give people a chance to obtain it if they are interested. Then have a discussion on that particular game. I feel this might help some of us actually play games, instead of just buying an shelving them. Maybe our SO's will even start to be ok with us buying poo poo since it will actually be getting used! Try to keep it to easy to obtain systems since a lot of us do not like emulation, and are not rich enough to own every system under the sun.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
^^ That is an awesome idea, Kilazar. We should probably limit it to games that could be beaten in a day, though. I'd love to recommended something like Illusion of Gaia to someone but no one's going to beat it in one day.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

^^ That is an awesome idea, Kilazar. We should probably limit it to games that could be beaten in a day, though. I'd love to recommended something like Illusion of Gaia to someone but no one's going to beat it in one day.

Also keep it to sub $30 games. So no one has to break the bank to obtain it. I would be ok with a day being spent on Illusion of gaia, or any long game. The idea is to get people playing these games. Even if you can't beat it in a day, if you can make significant story line progress that would be ok. IMO.

How would we handle the "pick". Can the OP be edited with a poll each month? Or should we start a secondary thread each month for the pick and discussion?

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 8, 2012

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Kilazar posted:

Also keep it to sub $30 games. So no one has to break the bank to obtain it.

It might be pretty cool to keep it to somewhat obscure games, that way we can read goons' reviews, playing it for the first time :allears:

Think about it; I am sure there's a bunch of games you wish you could "play for the first time" again. Maybe we could make it where the only people who will play it and post their thoughts are people who never played it before? Again, we can try to keep it somewhat obscure (so that we aren't limiting so many posters) but not too obscure that it's $200 on eBay. What do you think of this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

It might be pretty cool to keep it to somewhat obscure games, that way we can read goons' reviews, playing it for the first time :allears:

Think about it; I am sure there's a bunch of games you wish you could "play for the first time" again. Maybe we could make it where the only people who will play it and post their thoughts are people who never played it before? Again, we can try to keep it somewhat obscure (so that we aren't limiting so many posters) but not too obscure that it's $200 on eBay. What do you think of this?

Yeah that was my general idea. I am driven by nostalgia, so I only seek out games I owned or played. This way people would get out of their comfort zone maybe. I'd still say keep it under lets say $60. That way we are not topping the price of current video games.

• Locked thread