Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So my Dreamcast Library grows.

I was able to get a copy of both Resident Evil 3 and Elemental Gimmick Gear for around 15 bucks each. I now own every version of RE3 on a console. I also found a complete copy of one of the Dreamcast Tomb Raider games for 3 dollars and a Disc Only copy of Power Stone 2 for 20.

Mind you I thought I already had a copy of Power Stone 2 and this was going to be an extra. But when I got home and opened up the jewel case it was empty. A few months ago my brother stole a bunch of games to sell. Now I thought he mostly took n64 games, but nope it looks like he did touch the Dreamcast. So I went through everything and thanfully the only other missing game seems to be Chef's Luv Shack. There was also originally a copy of Sonic Adventure when we got the system. However that was probably sold before he threw the perfectly working system out in the garabge, which I then rescued(all it needed was the lens to be cleaned). Later on I did get the Gamecube Sonic Adventure games complete for 2 dollars each when the Gamecube was being liquidated because the Wii was coming.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So I just got a big haul for free. Someone gave me an Apple II with a few dozen games with it, complete with the old as hell Apple printer and monitor. There's roughly 7 boxes worth of stuff but there's a load of Adventure games on 5 1/4 floppy disks.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Zeether posted:

Mine is probably worth way less because of the crack :( I'm not planning on selling it though because Shenmue owns and you can play Space Harrier in it.

You can replace those multi-disk CD cases easily. They still make those and the old style single CD jewel cases. You just pull them apart by hand and insert whatever you want in there.

I just replaced a few of my cracked cases with newer ones. Nobody can even tell the difference.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So I've got about two book cases worth of Art books relating to games. This one shelf's worth I have to move to another shelf to make room for more games. That and Also the weight of the books cracked the shelf they were on.

But yeah the ones there are God of War II, Gungrave, Ikaruga, Halo 3, that big book is not an art book but the Kiss Kompendium which was only on that shelf because it was so huge, Okami(the one put out by Clover Studios itself), Valkyria Chronicles, Ace Attourney, Darkstalkers, and Shitload of Street Fighter, and Bioshock II. These's also some for some Saturn Era Japanese exclusive games.

They were much cheaper/easier to aquire back when there was numerious import bookstores near me. But the economy killed all those stores.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 10, 2012

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Please tell me the GunGrave artbook covers the anime and sequel as well, because there's no way in hell the first game had enough assets to warrant a book that thick :psyduck:. (Incidentally, asbasic as it was, I still enjoy that game)

Yes it also covers just the games. There was a surprising ammount of stuff that was cut. However their vehicle diagrams were very intricate.

I've used most of these books for references when I use the Autodesk programs for 3d Modeling.

*edit*
Looking through the Gungrave book again it's literally just the two games. There's another book that covers the anime. However that's another volume.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 10, 2012

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So yeah I stand corrected on the Gungrave Book, it only mentions the anime briefly. Literally the entire book is on the game. Mostly because it has pages and pages of this:

It's probably more indepth than it has any right to be. But I must confess I've never played either game and only have seen three episodes of the anime.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It looks like none of the Gamestop sales games are confirmed to come with their original packaging.

Which means a trip to staples is in order.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
About that PS2 sale for Gamestop.com. You get free shipping if you order a certain ammount of games.

I ordered around 26 games and it gave me the option of free shipping.

Neo Contra
WWX Rumble Roses
King's Field: The Ancient City
Road Trip - Used
Gungrave
Unlimited SaGa
Arctic Thunder
Tokobot Plus: Mysteries of the Karakuri
Samurai Western
Robotech: Invasion
Daisenryaku VII Exceed Modern Military Tactics
Disaster Report
Crimson Sea 2
Front Mission 4
Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law
Fight Maker 2
Gungrave OverDose
Raw Danger
Mr. Mosquito
Siren
Nightmare of Druaga
The Mark of Kri
Rise Of The Kasai
Killer 7
S.L.A.I.
Trapt

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 11, 2012

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Yeah I think that Gameboy was the last of the "clear electronics" phase though the Gameboy Color had a semi-transparent purple.

Gameboy advance had a transparent lavander color as well.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Tyma posted:

I just got through watching the Master System die on Chronsega, and had a random thought for some of the historians out there :

As far as official releases go, which games consoles have managed to gone out with a bang, rather than a whimper?

The PS2 went out with a bang(allthough they're still making sports games for it). It had stuff like Persona 4 and Sakura Taisen. Sakura Taisen's PS2 version was the only one that came with a Deluxe edition and made reference to the PS2 having the most RPG releases for a console.

I'd also say the Wii went out with a bang. You had stuff like Xenoblade and Last Story being released within the last year of it's cycle.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Nov 11, 2012

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Discount Viscount posted:

Plus a trickle of Neo Geo games!

Gah, that PS2 sale is so goddamn tempting. I have 12 games in my cart for 20 bucks and what keeps me from pulling the trigger is a combination of a tremendous backlog; a need to not really spend money which I already violated this week by jumping on that Kirby Mass Attack deal on Newegg; and the knowledge/fear that some games will show up scratched and I'm too lazy to deal with the fallout from that even though it could be done at a physical GameStop.

The Neo geo releases were way more than a trickle. You had over a dozen KOF games, all of the Fatal Fury games except Mark of the Wolves, the entire set of Samurai Showdown, all of Metal Slug and the first collection of Metal Slug 4/5, all of World Heros, all of Art of Fighting. NeoGeo Battle Coliseum, and SNK Arcade Classics Volume 1 which had 16 games on it.

Sadly it looks like there will never be an SNK Arcade Classics Volume 2. Not since Sega Smashpack Volume 1 have I ever been so dissapointed. I wanted an arcade perfect port of King of The Monsters 2. :negative:

Also pull the trigger on the PS2 sale. At those prices they're cheaper than rentals, they're cheaper than cheeseburgers. For the price of a single 60 dollar Xbox 360 game you can have well over 40 PS2 games.

However does anyone know the chance of the games coming in a case with the original cover? Because I went looking through Cover project and their PS2 section is surprisingly lacking.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Nov 11, 2012

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Random Stranger posted:

Given that this is Game Stop and this is the picked over returns I'll be surprised if one in three of my games has the original case.

Consider it the great games for $1 tax (unless you really want the original cases in which I can't blame you at all for passing on this).

If you print up your own covers using the retail cover images(not scans) by going to Staples nobody will know the difference.

You can even buy the exact same type of paper that PS2 games use.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Nov 11, 2012

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So I found the majority of really good slipcover images for most of the good games from that Gamestop sale(i.e. Trapt, Neo Contra, Chulip, Shepard's Crossing).

Do you think it would be worthwhile to make a "How to Print/Make covers for your games" thing for this thread? Because while stuff can get pretty technical here, I don't think we've ever discussed the proper paper quality for each system's cases. Like most PS2 games use a much heavier paper than what the Sega Genesis used. Also most systems used a much lighter paper in the beginning and later switched to a heavier paper later on int he system's cycle. Which ment launch game covers were not the same as the ones later on. Also some system's cases are utter garbage(i.e. Saturn, Longbox PSX games, Sega CD)

I mean personally, I hate disc only games and cart only games for systems like the DS(because the games can get lost easily). Creating replica covers and cases arn't exactly authentic for 100% purists but they can resemble the real thing to a 99% accuracy.

That and it makes buying real cheap open games a possibility for collecting because then your rows of games can matchup. For example I came across a copy of Battalion Wars for 2 bucks. Now it was in a rental case with a rental cover and covered with real sticky brown goo. But for 70 cents I printed out a new cover for it and found an extra gamecube case. So it's in real good condition now. That and as the saying goes, "You're really not collecting valuable games, you're really collecting valuable pieces of cardboard and paper".

Anyways in the meantime, here are some links to game cover sites. The quality might differ from each scan to scan but it's sufficent.
http://www.covergalaxy.com/forum/sony-ps2/index41.html?sort=title&order=asc&daysprune=-1
The Cover Galaxy forum has alot of stuff that's not on the main site. But it's more comprehensive for more modern systems than Coverproject.

http://www.covergalaxy.com/

http://www.thecoverproject.net/index.php

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If Nintendo of America released games like Nintendo of Japan did, they would be a better company overall.

That and you could probably do all of your interior decorating from the Japanese Nintendo Points Catalogue(they have 8-bit Zelda and Mario sprite throw pillows :swoon: ).

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Tobaccrow posted:

I can understand that they didn't want it and Star Fox 64 cannibalizing eachother's sales, but they need to get that poo poo working on Virtual Console.

If Star Fox 2 is in mostly or all in Japanese then it's probably not going to happen for North America or the UK. There's a laundry list of games that the Japanese VC has that those regions will never get because they don't want to translate so much as a single word(really some of these games just need the title screen translated and that would be it).

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ohnoitschris posted:

Or they could just be like Sony and have an imports section for Japanese games. There are a handful of PS1 games sold on PSN without translation, and they even include the instruction booklets - still just in Japanese. While it'd be nice of them to add a little translation cheat sheet in the manual, it works fine. Nintendo should just do that and rake in the piles of easy money.

I know and I would love it to function that way.

Why bother re-inventing the wheel. Stuff like sales that sell games for a few dollars are a good thing and digital nitche releases appeal to a good number of people. Honestly there's probably dozens of famicom and super famicom games I would like to play, and having digital releases would probably be the cheapest way to go outside of bargain priced physical compilations.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 12, 2012

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
My GBA collection now will match my DS collection.

I also found out from other collectors that the exact same grade of paper used for game covers cannot be bought by regular ordinary people. There are however many substitutes that are like 99% close in quality and material. However nobody was able to agree on what the best ever paper was.

Also they added more games to that Gamestop PS2 sale. If anyone has any other cover resources than covergalaxy and cover project I would like links so I can finish the How to print your Game Covers right FAQ.

I especialy need an NTSC Trapt cover, all I have found was the PAL version.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 13, 2012

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Vrikkian posted:

Well. My computer just bit the big one. Considering I use it for school I am going to need to buy a new one. Looks like ill be parsing out some of my retro collection. Is eBay the best way to do this? :(

Try not to cry... Be a big man... You can always buy them back...
If you sell it on Ebay they'll just be going to faceless neckbeards.

If you sell it here, you can atleast see the faces of said neckbeards.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The shipping notices went out for the PS2 Gamestop sale(if you went for free shipping). It seems most of the games originated out of Mexico or Texas.

There are alot of companies that exist in Mexico that print games for the North American region. So there's a chance that some of the Mexican ones are new games just put into the used pile. I'm curious to see if there's also a difference as far as being complete goes, between the games that were mentioned as USED after the title on the website vs the games that did not have used listed at all(despite being used games).

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

AwwJeah posted:

For that matter, is there a solution for protecting the bottom of my Genesis cartridges?

For the Genesis, you're better off going with these:
http://www.thevideostoreshopper.com/universal-game-case/universal-game-case-with-full-sleeve-insert/

They can be used for SNES games too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ohnoitschris posted:

Video Power once mentioned that a kid won a SNES with Super Mario Bros. 4, leading me to believe there was a fourth Mario game that the USA didn't get until I searched for it on the internet years later. :(

Oh wow you too? I did the same thing.

• Locked thread