Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Fantastic OP, but someone should do a write-up on NEO-GEO AES, MVS, arcade, and supergun stuff for it. I might do it after work tonight if no one gets around to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

zenintrude posted:

Someone sell me on (or off of) Pier Solar... my interest is piqued since it's being ported to Dreamcast, but I'm not sure if it's worth my $49 (or $125)

The HD / updated art in that Kickstarter looks pretty awful to me, I'm skipping it.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

triplexpac posted:

So since vintage game stores are generally way overpriced, where do you guys buy your games? ebay?

A few years ago when I was in the collecting phase where the thrill of the hunt was part of the fun, Craigslist, flea markets, and bulk purchases off eBay and other places online were great. Another huge contributor is friends and work. People like to get rid of stuff all the time, and if you're known as a retro-gamer in enough social circles, you might find a pile of NES games or something on your desk when you show up to work. Also keep up with forums, like the NEO-GEO forums. People on forums are often getting rid of stuff to make space, so they'll sell it for less if they know it's going to someone who will use it. If you know people who travel you're in extra luck, knowing people taking a trip to Japan can get you fantastic deals on some of the mid-range import games.

I'm now at the point where I go for more quality than quantity. Space is a bigger concern than money (largely because I'm more patient), and I have most of the good "collection filler" games on most systems. I've also been in a downsizing phase the last couple years: Got rid of my Atari 5200 and Turbo Grafx a few years ago. So retro game shops, eBay, Amazon, and other places known for being a little overpriced is not as big a concern for me, if I have to I'll wait an extra paycheck or three for some more money from my games fund to get the next game on my wishlist. I am still using Craigslist, forums, and friends for stuff, but I'm more discerning, I don't take everything.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Vaerai Archon posted:

So my Dreamcast Library grows.

I was able to get a copy of both Resident Evil 3 and Elemental Gimmick Gear for around 15 bucks each. I now own every version of RE3 on a console. I also found a complete copy of one of the Dreamcast Tomb Raider games for 3 dollars and a Disc Only copy of Power Stone 2 for 20.

Mind you I thought I already had a copy of Power Stone 2 and this was going to be an extra. But when I got home and opened up the jewel case it was empty. A few months ago my brother stole a bunch of games to sell. Now I thought he mostly took n64 games, but nope it looks like he did touch the Dreamcast. So I went through everything and thanfully the only other missing game seems to be Chef's Luv Shack. There was also originally a copy of Sonic Adventure when we got the system. However that was probably sold before he threw the perfectly working system out in the garabge, which I then rescued(all it needed was the lens to be cleaned). Later on I did get the Gamecube Sonic Adventure games complete for 2 dollars each when the Gamecube was being liquidated because the Wii was coming.

Elemental Gimmick Gear is an amazing game. I picked it up when it came out because it was one of those later releases at like $20. It was so amazing, this crazy Zelda inspired game with really great looking backgrounds, and a fun world to explore.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Genesis shooter box art is so badass. I especially love Ranger X's there.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I'm mixed on the Front Mission box art, but I think I'm mostly positive on it. I forget this artist's name, he did a ton of Squaresoft stuff. Sometimes it looks fantastic, sometimes it looks a little off, like the dude's face front and center.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

This talk of the Saga games reminds me I'm a horrible person. I bought Unlimited Saga when it was released, and I liked it. I understand why people hate it, and I probably wouldn't like it too much now. That game was a serious time sink to get anything accomplished, but it came out when I was in college at a time that I had a lot of spare time for games.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Ribbit King's a fun PS2 party game that supports up to 4 players. It's a good game to pull out if a gaming party is getting very chatty, too distracted for a full split screen game. It's a pretty chill game people can just hit their frog when it's their turn and go back to relaxing.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I don't like when video game swag becomes valuable. I noticed that Mega Man 9 Press Kits sealed go for the price of a Wii U on eBay, and I'm getting tempted to sell mine. It's a really cool thing, but that's a crazy price for it.

It's tough looking at the price of some retro games and merchandise. Sometimes they'll keep climbing, and it was a mistake to sell, sometimes prices will plummet with a downloadable version comes out on modern consoles or a re-release happens for merchandise. I think the Disgaea figure collection that was originally for sale only on NISAmerica.com was going for over $200 at one point, but with a few figure collection releases since then, values have plummeted.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

HKR posted:

You have to ask yourself if you're collecting because you like games and want to have cool things, or if you're collecting because you want to make a cool profit. Both are okay but when it comes to things like the MM9 press kit you have to ask yourself why you got it in the first place.

Normally with games, it's pretty straight forward for me. I buy them to play them. Swag and merchandise is such a different thing. The Mega Man 9 press kit just contains a hollowed out NES cartridge with a CD containing some Mega Man 9 media on it, but I'm not really hurting for toys and figures that look cool on shelves. Add that in with, I had no interest in owning a Wii U before launch, but there's enough games in the lineup that I really want to play, and the idea of turning this silly little box into a Wii U is tempting me. It's really silly, but I'm actually pretty distressed over this, normally I don't get flustered by stuff.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Allen Wren posted:

Just got pointed at this thread, I will certainly be spending a lot of time here. I'm a little more about raiding Goodwills and the like than buying super-obscure stuff from Japan, but my current issue points me in that direction---so I'm currently on the hunt for one of the early NES cartridges that have a built-in Famicom converter. In the GCCX thread, it was pointed out that the #1 identifier for one of these carts was the particular way the contacts are shaped, with the "pin" at the side of each contact instead of the center. However, I've run across a couple of those at a local shop that have the correct contact pins, but the wrong set of screws on the back (three hex screws instead of five flat-heads.) Is there any information as to whether or not these have the converter?

I found a couple of them by taking every rule into account: 5 screws that are flat-heads, the offset pins, a different center of weight than other carts of the same game (easier to figure out than a difference in weight). I think one of the ones I found was a Gyromite, and I also identified it by the shade of the color of the purple Rob head on the cart. I had a few guides open in different tabs on my phone while I was in the store to help me figure it out. I looked for mine at Al's in Seattle a few years ago, and they had a good half dozen Gyromite and Hogans Alley carts each. After spending 20 minutes playing with the carts, the two I picked out both had the converter in them.

I think I used this guide: http://www.racketboy.com/retro/hacks/gyromite-nes-import-adapter-guide

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Supersonic posted:

I saw this earlier today on Reddit and found it to be pretty cool. Apparently the guy scraped a database of 24,000 games since 1975 to determine genre and console. Its pretty cool seeing how console popularity has changed over time.

I like how SNES has that tentacle that just slips into the year 2000. I wish NEO-GEO was broken out as a separate platform in there instead of just included in Arcade.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Mercury Crusader posted:

Some folks do not like that you have to use the touch screen for practically everything. This did not bother me. What did bother me was the massive amount of backtracking Phantom Hourglass had. Granted, I still enjoyed the game. Haven't gotten the other one yet.

The controls were miserable. You move to where you touch on the touch screen, you attack with a quick swipe, and I think you could roll with another action, like double tap? I just remember Link never did what I wanted him to.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

TheRedEye posted:

Here's a whole lot of oral history about launching Nintendo Power back in 1988, from interviews I conducted with founding editors Gail Tilden and Howard Phillips. I worked really hard on this so you have to read it ok

http://gamasutra.com/view/feature/183233/nintendo_power_remembering_.php

I'm not sad that it's gone, but I'm sad that this is the last time I'll be able to show Nintendo Power's editors how to do their jobs :(

This is fantastic, and points out something I had never thought directly about. Having the magazine emphasize walkthroughs, tips, and tricks instead of just news, previews, and reviews was really what made Nintendo Power so fantastic.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

TheRedEye posted:

It was surprising to Gail when I told her that I used to follow along on the maps and pretend like I was playing, and that made me want the game more. She thought the maps were ONLY servicing people who only had the game.

Didn't everyone do that?

I remember I did this the most with Metal Storm. I think I eventually rented it and the gravity flipping thing just confused the hell out of me as a young child.

With the early access and other things Nintendo Power got, I'm really surprised they didn't have more direct access to developers for some of that stuff. I started professional game development right at the end of the era of strategy guides, and I remember we had to clean up and edit the design doc after we finished, while the Nintendo DS carts were in production, to reflect the actual game so we could send it to Prima.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Lepecard posted:

It arrived last week but now i'm finally here to open my Secret Santa's gift!

YES! Mutant League Football has the poster!

Can't wait to play Pokemon Pinball and actually finish Mischief Makers and Kirby's Dream Land.

I believe those are Nintendo bookmarks? I haven't opened them yet.

All in all this was a great surprise!

Oh, and they even drew a nice treasure chest on the package!

Tomorrow i'll be able to mail my Santee's gift.

I just didn't realize how difficult it is to make small enough Santa hats for spiders...

What an amazing pile of games. Mutant League Football in the case is especially nice, all those EA Sports games on the Genesis seem harder to find in-case than regular Genesis titles. Mutant League Football is such a fantastic game.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Ummmm, I Robot is first gen 3D graphics. It was released 10 years before Star Fox.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

WendigoJohnson posted:

Yeah the Dreamcast has a really good solid RPG library.

Then again I think it's entire RPG library is 4 games. Skies of Arcadia, Grandia II, EGG, and Shenmue. Allthough I have no idea why Shenmue is dirt cheap where as either version of Skies of Arcadia goes for 40+. :psyduck:

The Dreamcast had a few more RPGs than that. Aside from AwwJeah's mentioning of Evolution 1 and 2, there's also Armada, Phantasy Star Online, Phantasy Star Online Version 2, Record of Lodoss War, Time Stalkers, and Segagaga. I never played Dragonriders of Pern or Silver, but both of those look like RPGs, too.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Wow, Dragonriders of Pern looks horrible.

Well, with Christmas right around the corner, I told my brother I would put money towards a copy of Earthbound for him. That means I get to go to fun "Bid on Earthbound on eBay" town. It's not a huge deal because I'm pretty sure he originally bought me and my other brother a copy of Earthbound in the '90s as a combined birthday gift, and I still have that copy. I think this might be the most cash I spend on a single video game. I forgot how much I spent on my CPS2 boards, though.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

zenintrude posted:

[edit] Seventh Cross: Evolution is more of an RPG than Silver... on a side note, everyone should play Seventh Cross: Evolution.

Seven Cross Evolution is a fantastically weird spiritual successor to EVO: Search for Eden... but man is it ugly and does it play poorly. If you're a patient gamer who plays games to experience novel game mechanics, and gameplay quality and graphics don't matter to you, it's for sure worth playing through.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

EGG is such a fantastic game. It looks so good, it plays great, the world is really cool. The music works well. Even the boss fight gimmick of switching to 3D models and environments adds to the experience. I guess the only downside is your mech suit looks like it's holding in a turd when it walks around.

I even managed to find a youtube video of gameplay without some dude talking over it, which is tough for old games nowadays https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li_Q-iiM-zM

The name of the developer is "Birthday" and I can't really find any history on them, what games they made before or after, and that's a difficult word to get any meaningful results on Google.

I think it was an easy game to miss in the Dreamcast era, I think it was released at a budget price to no fanfare.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

absolutely anything posted:

GBASP doesn't have one, they sold special headphones that plugged into the power port. It was dumb.

Every time I wonder why I never bought a GBASP, I'm reminded of that headphone adapter thing. I think there might have eventually been a special connector that let you charge your GBASP and use your headphones at the time, but wasn't the original Nintendo one an either-or experience?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I was talking to my friend about Majora's Mask, which I'm sure everyone here is familiar with. We're both big fans of what the time loop in the game allows for from the world, quests, and NPCs. I found out he had never heard of Ephemeral Fantasia on the PS2, which is a game that takes the same basic idea, this time with a 5 day loop, and more traditional RPG gameplay mechanics. Unfortunately, it's overall a poor package, the writing and gameplay aren't great, and I think the graphics look worse than Majora's Mask. Still worth checking out if you're looking for interesting early-gen PS2 games, it was released in the US in 2001. The Wikipedia page for the game is one of the poorest written pages I've seen on a video game, too http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephemeral_Fantasia

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

madpanda posted:

Just a reminder we have a steam group for chatting/gifting/sending 8-bit butt pics

Retro Goons Thread

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/retrogoons

I joined this. My steam name's Xieflow currently (I post on too many forums), I've got the Game Boy icon.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

ultimateforce posted:

I got a new job and our shop has a waiting room. The boss said I could store a few arcade machines there if I bought them. I am looking for two machines, any Initial D (twin or single) version 3 or higher, and any Dance Dance Revolution machine (Extreme preferred). I might pick up something like a Daytona USA machine because they seems to be really cheap.

Any advice on where to start looking? I actually found a decently priced Initial D on Craigslist but I doubt that's the best place to start.

Also, any advice on alternate racing games to try? Sit down of course.

Edit: I think this counts as retro!

There actually is an arcade thread (although the first page shows up as malware, and my browser won't let me see it). Miyamotos RGB NES was the last person to post in it. I'm not saying discussion should move there, it's pretty dead, it's more that you might find good resources there http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2860258&pagenumber=35#lastpost

Craigslist, KLOV, eBay, look for auctions in your area. Google search arcade distributors, as well, they sell old machines. http://shmups.system11.org/ and http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/ are forums full of arcade collectors, but usually standard 4/6 button machines.

Anything that can still make a decent profit on-location is going to cost a lot more. I don't know where DDR and Initial D fall in this, but light gun games generally do.

If you've got cash to blow, F-Zero AX Deluxe edition, in the rotating chair is awesome.
If you're willing to get a driving game that's not a racing game, Lucky and Wild is really tough to beat.
If you're willing to import from Japan, or want to setup / organize a group buy, I hear http://www.coinopexpress.com/ is a good source.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I was dying to add a few more carts to my tiny Famicom collection, so I asked in the IRC what games to get. They didn't have Deadly Towers, but they did have the suggested pulse label Popeye. I also grabbed Image Fight and Saint Seiya. I haven't played Saint Seiya, but Image Fight is good, although I'm pretty sure I have it on PC Engine already.

someone pointed out in the chat it was the second one I had, Saint Seiya - Ougon Densetsu Kanketsu Hen
http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/getinfo.pl?ID=J-027-S-05070-A

Chainclaw fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 30, 2012

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

I've been meaning to get the pulse label Popeye but I accidentally ordered Popeye's English instead of Popeye a few months ago. The perils of not looking closely enough at the Japanese title.

I am sorry about the Saint Seiya purchase, however.

I'm mainly buying Famicom carts to have a collection of rainbow colored Famicom carts, so even if the game is poo poo it's not a huge deal.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

The Earthbound I ordered off eBay a few weeks ago almost got lost, the rear end in a top hat who did the auction only put my first name on the package, and not my last name. There's quite a few people with my first name in our office.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

WendigoJohnson posted:

So I came across a copy of Lost Vikings with it's case for 8 bucks. However upon opening it it seems the case might not be the original since it reads "ACCOLADE" on the inside. This is also making me question the cover as well. While the print quality is very good I'm not sure if it's the right paper quality because it seems very thin and not heavy. However the Genesis had a poo poo load of different types of boxes when it came to cases and covers. So does anyone here have a copy of the Genesis Lost Vikings and can confirm that the paper quality for the cover isn't as thick as expected? Worse comes to worse I got a high quality case reproduction and I'm out 8 dollars.

I don't actively hate the system, I'm just indifferent to it. Other than Panzer Dragoon Saga there's really no other games on the system that I'd like to play. The only Sonic game released for that system was Sonic R and that was ported to the Gamecube. Virtua Fighter, Fighting Vipers and Fighters Megamix were fine for their day but only have novelty at this point.

You know you've probably just started people listing off a bunch of Saturn games that are still playable today, and aren't available elsewhere. Like Three Dirty Dwarves, that is still a fantastic 3 player brawler. It's got a fantastic art style to it, it's got really crazy boss fights and enemy design, and each dwarf plays a little different. The recovery mechanic is great, too, it's a lot like more recent coop games. There's no lives per player, if your health runs out, you are knocked out. As long as all three players aren't knocked out at the same time, the game continues. When you're knocked out, another player can walk over to revive you.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Doing some late-night reorganizing, and I stumbled across this stupid thing again

I've never actually used it, got it cheap from a Half Price Books years ago.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I really can't figure out why the SNES vs. Genesis prices are so far out of whack. Even relatively rare regular-release Genesis games (Crusader of Centy, etc) rarely hit above the hundred dollar mark for a CIB copy.

Only thing I can think of is that CIB copies of games are more expensive on the SNES since they came in cardboard boxes, and that inflated CIB price comes all the way down to the "just cartridges" price as well.

I knew more people who had Genesis than SNES, I had both, and I know there were times as a kid that I thought the Genesis was better. I think the lack of nostalgia is twofold. The Genesis was great at games there is not a lot of retro appeal for: sports games and arcade ports, whereas the SNES had a lot of RPGs, which have turned out to age much better than most genres. Sega has done a really poor job maintaining a strong company image, and maintaining their brand, whereas Nintendo still has a lot of appeal, and has done a mostly successful job of leaning on that retro appeal without burning it out.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I have to say, one of the most difficult things to collect for are older PC games that haven't had digital releases. I know this comes up a lot, but I'm having a hell of a time tracking something down right now. I'm poking around, looking for a copy of Metal Fatigue, but there are no copies currently on eBay (the last one sold about a month ago, CIB for $65), and the two Amazon sellers want over $100 each. I know there are a few online stores that specialize in older PC game software, but I can't remember any of them.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

al-azad posted:

Dear Retro Gaming Megathread, how come you guys didn't tell me about this awesome Atari game TAC/SCAN? It's rare to find an arcade shoot 'em up on the console that's not slow or total garbage.

It's a pretty good 2600 game, and it's one of a handful of games released by Sega on the 2600
http://www.atariage.com/company_page.html?CompanyID=49&SystemID=2600&SystemFilterID=2600

On the subject of Atari, it's got to be the best system to collect for if you're into baseball card / stamps / coins style collecting, the AtariAge guys have done such a good job of identifying rarity levels, different makes of the same game, and there are so many crazy rear end third party developers on the system because there was no lockout chip.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Saw something at Half Price Books I couldn't pass on today during lunch. A boxed copy of System Shock 2 in fantastic condition.

It's got a really crazy cover, some kind of reflective, shiny plastic with sparkles in it.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

fatpat268 posted:

GBA has a HUGE problem with counterfeits. Most people don't know the difference, and they start showing up in video game stores and get even further propagated. You don't have to worry about counterfeits too much on relatively obscure GBA games, but you have to be careful with first party and popular titles (Zelda, Donkey Kong Country, Final Fantasy, etc). The games are generally poor quality and use weak batteries to save (only very early gba games used batteries to save, after a certain time, they used flash ram), so often you see them with dead batteries.

There's a couple of guides out there showing how to distinguish the counterfeits. There's a couple of tell tale signs of a counterfeit, but it's harder and harder to tell apart lately because they got better at making them look like the real thing.

Yeah, the biggest concern with bootleg GBA games is a lovely battery that will lose your save constantly. Near the end of the GBA's lifecycle, there were a ton of guides for identifying bootleg GBA games, and without opening the carts it was pretty difficult. Sometimes it was a slightly different bezel on the cart, or a slightly different curve at the top of the GBA cart.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Code Jockey posted:

So along with that post, I'm curious - how are modern rom dumps made, like the big "official" scene sets? Using old copiers, or something more sophisticated and modern?

And almost-kinda-sorta related: DC rips were made using the DC serial port or a special GD-ROM capable PC drive, right? I can never remember.

I think you could go Retrode https://www.retrode.com/ for any game dumps you need to make nowadays.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Anyone know of good internet radio stations for retro game soundtracks?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

There used to be some site with at least two queues for internet radio for game music, retro and modern. It had a built in system for requests, and was great to leave on in the background as you worked. I think it was called "GamingFM".

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

vkeios posted:

There's Kohina, which is general anything; Slay Radio, which focuses on c64 remixes; and Retro PC Game Music Streaming Radio, which has too long of a name and focuses on Japanese pc games.

Thanks for all the great links, I'm really digging the Kohina station right now, just hands free random classic game music (and classic inspired? The current song is "Ode to C64").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I use the Adaptec Gamebridge for streaming / recording video http://www.adaptec.com/en-us/support/_eol/video_prod/avc-1400/ . It's fast enough that I don't need to split the output, and I can play off my PC. Unfortunately there are only Windows 32 bit drivers available for it, but I was able to install a copy of Windows XP in a virtual machine on my laptop to use it.

• Locked thread