Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
Boy howdy, a new thread and it's already growing in size!

In its honor, I bought Friday The 13th for the NES. Don't know why. It's a poo poo game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I don't know if this counts, but I just got in my NES carts of Sweet Home, Super Mario Bros. 2 The Lost Levels, and Mother.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

Out of curiosity, how many unfinished/unplayed games do you all own... or would you rather not say? :)

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

Ah, good ol' SNES Shadowrun. Yeah, it was good. I guess.

But GEN Shadowrun is where it's at :)

Of course, we could just bypass them altogether and go for the cream of the cyberpunk crop: Syndicate.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

Well. My computer just bit the big one. Considering I use it for school I am going to need to buy a new one. Looks like ill be parsing out some of my retro collection. Is eBay the best way to do this? :(

Try not to cry... Be a big man... You can always buy them back...

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

Hm, guess I could do SA Mart. Never touched it officially, but it seems harmless enough. The lack of a proper feedback system worries me a bit though.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

Asbrandt posted:

SA Mart has a number of resellers to watch for, I'd consider offering priority to the Retro thread here, since we're more likely to fully appreciate it, before going to the public at large.

E: Within SA Mart for safety reasons, obviously.

Ok! I'll post up my full list soon in a better format if goons want it, but in the interim mostly any physical games you can see on my Backloggery is available. I'm not that eager to sell my repro carts, Earthbound, or Suikoden II, but of course any offer or trade will be considered.

http://backloggery.com/vrikkgwj

If there is enough interest, I'll cut down my BL to what is still available (sold about 20 games so far, but most were PS2 ones already removed).

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

Castlevania Bloodlines usually goes for half of that $40 total, so yeah it was a good price.

I've started parting out my collection. I've stacked all of the games I'm selling in my kitchen, and kept my very small physical collection together in my living room. I'm keeping the ones that I couldn't ever sell.

It hurts. BUT I'm already in the talks to sell 9 games to a fellow goon, so maybe that'll help get my computer back up and running before some of my college stuff becomes uber late.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

The mod chip for region unlocking is veeery easy to install. Boot discs aren't perfect but also do the trick. I much prefer the mod chip route if you can find one; booting a game directly is awesome.

Agreed, but I've been using a boot disk for years. No issues whatsoever. I had to reburn the disk once, but it was my fault to begin with that I dropped it.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

..."pass the pasta"? That's somewhat racist. Although amusing.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

Do you want to see what it looks like for a man to pack up 90% of his gaming collection in preparation to sell because he needs to buy a new computer, as well as pay for two Master's degrees? See here:

Don't fret! I'm still warranted to be in this thread. I'm not selling everything. In fact, I'm still keeping the cream of the crop in my collection to play for years:

(This also doesn't take into the 100+ virtual games I own that are impossible to sell.)

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

Anything you can see in the first two pictures are for sale, but I know it's hard to see the spines. I'll try to get a full list up soon, and post on SA Mart. In the interim, if there is anything you can make out that you know you want, throw me an offer via PM so we don't have to clutter up this thread if possible.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

Alright! A couple of people have asked me via PM to list what I'm selling for the below systems, so here you go!

NES (I have plastic covers, but not enough for all of the games. I'll give them away with each game until I run out)
Blades of Steel
Bubble Bobble
Contra
Donkey Kong Jr.
Faxanadu
Fester's Quest
The Goonies II
Hydlide (with manual)
Metroid
IronSword
Paperboy
Smash TV
StarTropics
Zelda 1 (gold)
Zelda 2 (gold)

GB/C
Donkey Kong Land (plastic case)
Donkey Kong Land 2
Kid Icarus (plastic case)
Metroid 2
Super Mario Bros. Deluxe (plastic case)
Tetrix DX (plastic case)
Super Mario Land
Super Mario Land 2
Super Mario Land 3

Saturn (All are complete in big case unless noted)
Blazing Heroes (disk)
Clockwork Knight - Someone has called dibs on this via PM
Daytona USA
Die Hard Trilogy
The Legend of Oasis
Space Hulk
Vampire Savior (import)
Virtua Fighter 2
Virtua Fighter Remix

Sega CD
Slipheed (complete in big case) - Someone has called dibs on this via PM
Advanced D&D: Eye of the Beholder (disk)
Sonic CD (disk)
Fighter Fight CD (disk)

Dunno about prices. Probably going to go near the lower end of eBay/Amazon since going this route is much easier than those sites, plus if I get my funds via Paypal there will be no fees if it's a gift!

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

Cosmicjim, I may have just put a bid or two on your DQ IV, River City Ransom, and Battle Toads/Double Dragon auctions. Am I going to get them? Nope! I don't have insane amounts of money. But I bid nevertheless.

EDIT: It also amuses me that there's a game called "Color a Dinosaur".

Vrikkian fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 16, 2012

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

Hey, Kessen! Such an underrated series.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

You can do this GameStop sale online, right?

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Good lord man. You've got one hell of a masochistic streak.

I've beaten Battletoads.

And I am happy to oblige it!

(I'm glad your games got to you without issue, Erluk.)

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

This requires a doublepost.

Speed Run Marathon. Donations for Hurricane Sandy
http://hurricanesandython.com/

Lots of retro games going on. Marathon up for the next 5 days. Lots of retro games.

Luigi's Mansion right now. Not exactly retro yet, but still a great game.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

iastudent posted:

Also props to Vrikkian and Raxmus for hooking me up, you are cool dudes in my book.

You got my package! Yay! Glad it arrived safely.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

tvb posted:

Well, if we're going to talk N64, we may as well re-watch this classic commercial.

And yeah, I also remember seeing the Virtual Chess 64 game perpetually on the shelf at the video store, never to be rented. They also had the Earthbound big box on display, which I was, of course, too young and stupid to buy when they went out of business.

edit:
Also, box art. I love the old Star Fox cover:

I seriously miss the original art style, when all the characters were vaguely creepy, Fantastic Mr. Fox-esque dolls.

They should have gone with this...

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I guess I'm giving up on trying to ever find a way to make/build/buy a MOTHER 3 GBA English cart...

The most I can find are dead forum threads, or people saying "Hey, I made one but hell if I'm ever going to sell my services!"

Argh, I'd pay good money.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I just got a Suikoden II strategy guide from a Secret Santa on another forum.

Hooooooooooooooly crap. What a nice gift. And I only sent them some books that they requested :(

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

Im getting my Dreamcast and PS2 region modded. From a modder on Racketboy. Pretty excited.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I'm not getting any bites on this on Amazon, and I hate selling on eBay, so I thought I'd throw this out there.

I have Dragon Force for the Saturn. Long case, disk, and back insert are included. Minor crack on the front of the case, but beyond that it's in great shape. Only thing that is missing is the manual because it had water spilled on it years ago, so I don't feel right selling it.

Anyone interested? I have it listed as $70 on Amazon, but I'm definitely willing to go lower (just don't try to rip me off). I'm getting rid of it because I've already beaten it twice in my life, and I need the Christmas money.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

in_absentia posted:

I want! I want! I want! I want!

DragonForce is one of my alltime favorite games. My saturn is dead, but after christmas I'm planning on getting it back up and running and I've been dying to get another copy of dragonforce. Please email me at unit01 at gmail.com please! I'll be happy to take it off your hands.

Message sent!

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

Univ, any reason why you have two Wiis?

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

Albeit I'm only doing my small part, I just bought Shining Force III!

Sure, my Saturn is modded. Sure I have all three of the scenarios translated and easily playable on the system, but... retro gaming! The long case! The manual!

Huzzah!

...oh, my poor wallet.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

A blank mini DVD-R and you're all set.

Why are those drat disks so expensive anyway? I mean, there are so hard to find. Do people just decide to destroy things because they can't put them back in the case?

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

Well gently caress. Disregard my "yay I got Shining Force III!" post. The dude made an error (didn't have it in inventory), so he refunded my money.

...but I did convince him to give me a complete copy of Shining the Holy Ark for $30 shipped as a thank you for me not blowing him up and giving negative eBay feedback. Was this a good deal?

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I don't know if this has been mentioned already, but if you want a Mother 3 English cart go to OCD Reproductions. He's only one dude, but he does great stuff. His Mother 3 cart is made-to-order, and fits absolutely snug in the GBA slot on a DS Lite. Ever seen the cart dust cover? Yeah, it's that. $45 and free shipping.

Tell him Kelsey sent you - he'll make sure you are hooked up. Good guy.

http://www.ocdreproductions.com/GBA_GAMES/cat1560737_1734369.aspx

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

PS. Love the cabin posted:

Aside from being illegal, are there any drawbacks to the bootleg carts?

Their saves usually don't work for very long at all, so I hope you don't ever turn it off!

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

al-azad posted:

The best Sonic game: 3 'n Knuckles

You mean Sonic CD.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I still love how some Earthbound ROMs wouldn't tell you it knows the game was pirated until you got to the fight with Giygas and he was invincible.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

univbee posted:

What's this now? The only Giygas related penalty I know of is far worse: total wipe of the save battery followed by a game crash.

Well that's new to me, and much worse. :eek:

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

Mutant League Hockey is better.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

juliuspringle posted:

I just like Blitz the League because you can injure people and actually see it.

I hate the game purely for the X-Ray they do when someone ruptures a testicle. Ugh.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

al-azad posted:

Ys: The Ark of Napishtim
Yggdra Union, originally a late GBA game
Riviera, another late GBA game
Tales of Eternia (European release but PSP is region free)
Gurumin
Gradius Collection
Final Fantasy Tactics (there's a fan patch that fixes slowdown)
Lemmings (one of my favorite versions)
Castlevania Dracula X
Valkyrie Profile
Tactics Ogre

And of course the Atlus/NIS titles like Persona and Disgaea. I really like the Prinny spinoff. Kenka Bancho is an original property but it's like a 3D River City Ransom. You just roam the streets of Japan beating up gangers and leveling up by buying food.

I know this was a page and a half ago, but the Breath of Fire III re-release on the PSP is pure gold, too. It was never released in the US, but again... the PSP is region-free and you can get the game on Amazon for less than $20. It was a little more expensive about a year ago, but I anyone that wanted it already got it.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

Oh poo poo, is that a Famicom Disk System? I've always wanted one, but the horror stories about the belts and the fact that most people that have one say it's not worth the hassle... eh, sorry little guy.

Maybe one drunken eBay night with some day change that.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

If you don't want to spend all the money you'll ever own, you should look into modding the system. The greatest US games are well over $100/piece. Except for maybe Shining the Holy Ark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I still think the Lunar games are really good. It's a drat shame that 2 hasn't been touched since the original Playstation. Silver Star Story has been done on DS, GBA, and PSP (all with varying quality).

• Locked thread