Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The trinitron is "better" just because of the aperture grille. Being the high end of tube TVs they did have other features as standard though.

Personally I can't stand it. Just go for whatever CRT tv has the ports you want, and make sure the convergence/focus/misc is set up correctly using some test patterns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Install Windows posted:

It was 6 million units sold worldwide over its 10 year lifespan.

Okay so how many units sold over it's actual lifespan?

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Install Windows posted:

6 million units sold over it's 10 year lifespan, it was manufactured for 10 years and in those 10 years 6 million of them were sold. Pretty simple stuff, it didn't sell much.

You say it's lifespan was ten years. That's not true. You said it only sold six million, that's not true.

Even "it" isn't true. That's like calling all pc compatibles "it".

Pretty simple stuff.

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Install Windows posted:

Both of these things are true buddy. Take it up with Commodore themselves if you disagree.

You don't have any proof to offer. You can't even do math. 1998-1985 is not 10.

Nor did commodore, or the other manufacturers, release sales figures. There's nothing but rough figures from certain years, in certain countries, mostly estimated by magazines.

doritos fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 1, 2013

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Install Windows posted:

Their actual production was 1985-1994. That's 10 years. The revival systems by that other company that bought the rights sold very few units for the 1994-1997 period they were available.

And you can consult their business records over in Pennslyvania like I did, they hold up to the estimates outside sources made.

Production did not end in 1994, and even if it did, that's still not ten years. You still can't do math.

Models after 1994 are numerous, the design changes and flaws of those models are well documented. Quikpak's are considered the fastest, with an 060 on EDO ram. Escom's 1200 had the PC Compatible floppy drive and reworked pcmcia, etc.

Pray tell how did you consult the private business records of a company that no longer exists? I doubt QVC were very welcoming when the Smartest Kid In America turned up at their front gate.

doritos fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 1, 2013

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Install Windows posted:

Commodore's production of them factually ended in 1994, dude, sorry that you love Amigas so much you can't think straight. All those various other company Amigoid computers had low sales and low availability even in comparison to actual Amigas.

Records are on file in West Chester and Harrisburg, bro.

Such low availability as being stocked in Dixons and other major retail chains. Virgin Megastores still had a few magic packs when they were hyping dreamcast.

Nice how you move goalposts to specifically Commodore, too. Pity you don't address that Commodore did not keep records of how many they built, due to the structure of the organisation. Commodore UK had no need or desire to report how many units it manufactured, vs imported from the philippines, for example. Hell, the UK company kept going right up until the escom buyout, even bidding themselves. I doubt we'll ever know how many of those lovely computer speakers they bundled are out there, ready to prey on unsuspecting ears.

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Install Windows posted:

That's nice, but Amiga died in 1994 with Commodore International, and very little was sold of the Amigoids available afterwards. All reliable sources put the sales total at 6 million units.

You don't have any reliable sources for a total figure. You've got records of the machines produced at west chester, and whatever the better-ran foreign companies reported in from their own manufacturing efforts before west chester shat the bed. No records of what came out of the scotland factory, for example.

You can call Post 94 "Amigoid" all you want, they were still A1200s and 4000s built in the same factories from the same designs, still had "Amiga" stamped into the case, and used mostly the same components. There's nothing faux about switching the production lines back on and phoning up HP for another few hundred thousand chips.

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
A Platform so dead they pushed for years. Aye, you're a sharp one. Keep going with your approximates and your fews, because you sure as hell can't quantify it with any reputable data.

It's almost like you're extra stuck. Usually you'd bring out the spergy graphs and charts.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

WendigoJohnson posted:

You're both arguing over how successful a dead videogame system was.

Only a few of them were those.

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

WendigoJohnson posted:

But the system is dead who cares how much it sold?

They, plural.

And it's always amusing to watch Fishmech refuse to back down. Hell, he probably to this day will still say something like "The amiga was Tramiel's mistake".

Edit: Look at him, he did it again! "Nobody was, it was dead!". Even though they were, and it wasn't. wish harder, fishmech.

doritos fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 1, 2013

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

orphean posted:

Amigas had a certain type of person who were REALLLY into Amigas and kept using Amigas long after their realistic shelf live was over. So I can see where the perception that they were relevant for longer than they were actually sold comes from.

I imagine it would have been similar for Mac users if Jobs didn't come back and save them from bankruptcy and doom.

They were built until like 1998. That was the American market models, even. If you went into a dixons around that time you could pick up a 1200 magic pack with your new PSX.

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Install Windows posted:

No, they were built until 1994. Then some other companies made clones.

What is this, Fishmech?

Looks like an Amiga 1200 built after 1994, by Amiga Technologies, part of Escom. Who are Escom? Oh I remember, they're the people who owned Commodore.

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Install Windows posted:

Doritos the amigahog, that's a clone of the dead platform being shoved out the door by a desperate company trying to recoup the expenses they paid to buy out bankrupt Commodore. It also sold about no units.

Notably, Escom themselves died quite soon after they finalized their purchases of the remaining assets of Commodore.

How is it a clone if they didn't actually clone anything?

Nobody makes a clone of something they already have. That's the point.

Quidnose posted:

All this talk is making me want to pick up an Amiga, what the gently caress, Retrogame thread :retrogames:

Go for it. You'll get to see most of the Megadrive's good third party games, except with music that doesn't suck. (but controls that do)

doritos fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 1, 2013

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Install Windows posted:

They manufactured Amiga clones after the production lines shut down and they purchased the rights to use the technology. They're clones.

Using that logic, Nintendo made "clones" any time they switched production lines, or cost reduced anything.

Hell, I bet the Nes2 must be even clonier. That was a redesign, not just making the exact same thing again.

Install Windows posted:

I strongly advise against purchasing the actual hardware unless you're prepared to go all in with proper monitors and the like. Especially since the most popular models were of the keyboard on system unit design and that tends to be a hassle to use in a modern setup.

Or you could just use a normal TV.

orphean posted:

This is the best idea. Where else are you going to play the raddest game of all time: Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe

Suck it console havers.

Megadrive.

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Install Windows posted:

Only if Nintendo collapsed, went into bankruptcy, and was sold off piecemeal each time they changed models, sure. Because that's what happened to Commodore in 1994

Name the other buyers of Commodore, and what it was they bought.

Pay careful attention to the fact Commodore-Amiga was a company in it's own right, and purchased entirely by escom.

While you're at it, actually, reconcile the process of cloning hardware with what they did. Which was put the designs back into production.

Install Windows posted:

It would look like poo poo on a modern TV, unless you use scan doublers so you can connect by VGA.

You just have a really bad TV, fishmech. Banshee looks great on my bigass bravia.

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The C64 had a port? Jesus.

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

flyboi posted:

FWIW I never ever saw Amiga stuff ever in the stores in my hometown. Software Etc was x86 only and Sears was IBM. Our Radio Shack was more focused on RC cars than electronics and didn't even stock video games v:kiddo:v

There was some hipster douche store that imported Amiga CD32s and tried to sell them but they went tits up in less than half a year.

Yeah they gave up on the American market basically the same time the A1000 came out. IBM were entrenched too deep.

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Install Windows posted:

The commodore semiconductor division was bought out by some of its current and former employees. Large amounts of the physical assets and locations were bought by QVC as well as other local companies.

"Commodore-Amiga" was a subsidiary of Commdore International.

Hewlett Packard were the ones making the chips for the amiga at this point.

And duh, I know who was a subsidiary of who. The Amiga subsidiary was bought and moved to germany. Ain't hard.

Install Windows posted:

Notably, Escom only managed to purchase assets in April 1995, and collapsed themselves in June 1996.

They'd also bought a bunch of failed retail chains.

Install Windows posted:

It's nice of you to admit the Amiga was dead on arrival.

Nope, I didn't. You have an overinflated sense of national importance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SilentD posted:

It looks kinda like the saturn controller

What the hell is going on here

• Locked thread