Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Erluk posted:

Today I got my package containing Super R-Type and opened it up to see this:

It was only five dollars with shipping, so I'm not too upset. It's a little more of a bummer since I could tell that it was in really good condition before breaking, but :shrug:

So remember kids: put your games in good packaging!

Ninja edit: That picture doesn't really do it justice because the front part is cracked and poo poo.

Well that sucks. :( You could buy some trash sports game and swap the insides and label?

I've had a few vidyagame things get shipped to me broken before too. Someone stuck a Playstation 2 controller in a plain bubble envelope and the whole thing was crushed. Some people are just dumb when it comes to packing things, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I'd also love a list of good retro shows for the OP. Only good ones I know of are AVGN, Clan of the Grey Wolf, and Gamester81 (that guy has to be a billionaire with that collection) .

Yeah I don't know what Gamester81 does for a living but he makes some serious money. He's got nothing on John Hancock though, who has a CIB collection for something like 22 consoles. That guy is loving ridiculous.

I like Gameser81 and the rest of the All Gen Gamers crew. I also follow Happy Console Gamer and Happy Video Game Nerd. None of these guys are terribly prolific in video posting, Pete Door used to be but he's been very busy so his videos are rarer now. Also their tastes and video styles aren't for everybody, but I happen to have very similar taste in games as Pete Dorr and Metal Jesus Rocks so I like their collections/hidden gems/review videos.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

So I dug up my old SNES but the controller doesn't work. I took it apart to look inside and this thing flew out of it and landed on the floor. Any idea what it is? I can't see where it should have gone.

e: Poop, it goes in the pivot for the shoulder buttons, doesn't it? That means there's one missing now. :(

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 14, 2012

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Yeah, sorry, that was my terrible webcam. I found the pin though! In my shirt pocket. And now the controller works well. And then I bought R-Type and Star Fox off Ebay. Oops.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Well crap, my SNES isn't putting out video/audio signal. :( It was fine last night, but when I turned it on today it just gave a black screen for about two seconds and then goes to static. Games and SNES have been cleaned thoroughly. I'm using this video cable a friend gave me, which worked fine on his N64. Any ideas? I'm broke until next weekend so if the cable is the problem I'll have to wait until then to get a new one. I also don't have the screw bit to open the SNES, I tried the melted pen thing but it just broke before it unscrewed the screws.

fake edit: And then when I reach over and try it again, it works fine. What the hell Super Nintendo, stop messing with me. :argh:

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 14, 2012

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

Well, I've gotten my first package of stuff from Game Stop.

Not only did I not get any original cases, they sent me five cases in a package of 16 games.

Worse, they screwed up the order and sent me Oni and Kessen 3 for the Shield and Nano Breaker. At least those two were at the bottom of my priority list.

Every game I got in-store during their sale was only in a paper sleeve. Gamestop throws out a lot of excess cases/manuals.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Oh good God no. If people start selling things in here I'll never have money again and I'm already broke as poo poo right now. And you guys are guaranteed to have the stuff I want! :argh:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Part of it is inflation. There was someone at...Portland Retro Gaming Expo? An expo about two months ago I believe, don't remember which one...who was buying every copy he could and selling them at inflated prices. He had something like 25 or 30 copies at that point.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Which also reminded me I've sent a bunch of free stuff out to people and only one person replied saying they received it which was for the SLG 3000 scanline generator. Did no one else receive their stuff from me or something?

I sent you a PM when I got that broken DS you sent me. :shobon:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

oh yea that was a long time ago; how is it working for you? IIRC you just wanted something to play GBA games on, right?

Yeah but I haven't gotten around to fiddling with it yet. Turns out the tri-wing screwdriver I have that's fine for my GBC console and GBA games is a tiny bit too big for the DS screws. I'll get another one of these days, I might check my local retro game shop because he had a few screwdrivers and screw bits and such, I need one for my SNES stuff too.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Okay I'm reading up on SNES and Genesis video mods but I'm just stupid with this stuff and it's breaking my brain. I've never done anything like this and drat if I can understand much of it. I'd like to get component video out of both my SNES (the model number starts with UN1 so it's not 1CHIP) and my "High Definition Graphics" model 1 Genesis, is this at all easy to do? I'm comfortable with a soldering iron and could do some easy mods, but I'm also broke as hell so no VGA for me. Thoughts?

I'm trying to get all my consoles to component eventually since it's the best video quality my TV can do aside from HDMI (no s-video support on it unfortunately), plus it makes it easier on me in terms of switches and such, which I really need to start looking into, behind my TV is turning into a tangled mess of spaghetti and dangling unused cords.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Well drat, even that's out of my league then. Thanks though. I could do the cables in a few weeks but not another $50 for the transcoder, and really for almost $100 for the two consoles it's not really worth it to me at that point, I was hoping there was some way I could mod them for like $20 in parts. I suppose I could get an s-video cable for the SNES and get a converter of some kind, but the Genesis seems to require a mod that looks way beyond me.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Because not everyone has the space for three consoles, and if you're just getting into retro game collecting, one of the combination clone consoles is probably cheaper than a NES/SNES/Genesis. Hell I've been tempted by one because I barely have space for the ones I have, and I'm already having to constantly switch out TV and power cords.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

al-azad posted:

At this point I just recommend a PSP 2000/3000 or some other portable device with emulators. Most devices these days have TV out and really good emulation. A decent netbook is less than $200 and can probably run everything perfectly up to N64/PS1. I'll recommend that over a clone any day.

That's still a decent investment though. You can get a Retron 3 and a few games for each system for $100. And if you find you enjoy the hobby, then you can invest in original hardware. Clone consoles certainly aren't for everybody but I just find the random hatred for them to be kind of silly. Admittedly a PSP is probably the same price if not slightly cheaper, but then you're running ROMs and not actually collecting games, and at least for the Sega, the controls aren't quite right.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Why does it have to be such a good time to buy for so many consoles? Wii will most likely start climbing a lot by the end of next year, but there's also Xbox which is stupid cheap right now. And I want to start collecting for the N64 too on top of trying to build up my pathetic Dreamcast/Sega/SNES collections, and there's Gamecube stuff too since I finally have my Wii back which is an older Gamecube compatible model. :argh: :retrogames:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Ineffiable posted:

It's a good time to buy as long as you don't need NES/SNES stuff.

Genesis has always been stupid cheap (save some of the rpgs)

N64 prices are likely to rise moreso over the next few years, and it's hard to see PSX rising as much (RPGs are going to command most of the demand anyway and every other game was produced in higher numbers than most N64 games).

:retrogames::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames:

I don't collect for NES or PS1 other than what's on the PSN but I am looking at SNES. Luckily a lot of the rare and expensive stuff is available on VC, and I still have my old copy of Earthbound (bought at a thrift store for like $10 about 13 years ago :smug:). Genesis actually seems kind of expensive to me though, I find very few games I want for under $15-20 loose, so considering I can only spend maybe $30-40 a month on this stuff, that's a bit much. That seems to be true of Sega consoles in general, but maybe it's just me.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Go for the Dreamcast and Gamecube games first, they'll climb in price at a more steeper rate due to the possibility of scratches.

That's what I was thinking. N64 will most likely be stable for a few years, at least for cart only which is what I'd do. And after combing through Dreamcast game lists, there's only about 40 games I want. Gamecube has maybe 60~ that I'd want. Seems like a pretty decent goal to hit in a year or so, especially if my new work starting next year works out well.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Midnight Raider posted:

Everyone jumping all over clone systems aside, has nobody really had to repair a red/yellow/white video game cable plug before? I'd really like to salvage this thing, but I don't want to end up accidentally releasing some kind of noxious gas trying to solder the plastic and metal or something, or generally trying something that just doesn't work.

Can you just pull a wire off another cable and solder it to the broken one you want to fix? Not the broken connector piece, just cut that wire off a few inches down and solder a new end bit on.

vvvv I do have a PS3 so yeah, I'm going to try and pick that up, it'd knock about 25 games off my list.

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 25, 2012

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Oh man, I just bought the stuff for my giftee, I hope they like it. :ohdear: Turns out they didn't have two of some of the best games for the platform they wanted, so that needed to be rectified.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

The old commercial for that game used it too. It scared the poo poo out of me as a young kid when it first came on.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

^^^ Whoever you get is a lucky bastard, and you deserve an equally awesome gift.

tvb posted:

Got some SARGSS shopping done today, and will hopefully finish tomorrow. Have to stress what an awesome thing it is -- thanks, midge, for putting it together.

I got my shopping done too but the stuff hasn't come yet. It's not a ton and I wish I could give more (I'd be more than happy to give way above the spending limit if I had the cash), but I'm super excited to send it to them. :3:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

fatpat268 posted:

More money down the hole. :smith: Add to that, I'm trying to source some Gamecube component cables, but ebay prices are outrageous for an already outrageously priced item.

Edit:

Also, I'll be putting up some more stuff on SA-Mart soon, but I figure I give you retrogoons first dibs on two of these things if you're interested.

Tetris Battle Gaiden for $30 shipped
Legend of Zelda Links Awakening $12 shipped

These'll go up tomorrow (probably) on SA-Mart, but like I said, anyone in here has first dibs.

I would take Link's Awakening, I've been looking for a copy for a decent price. Do you have PMs?

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Woot, some of my giftee stuff came today! Just waiting on one more package and I can get it sent off. :dance:

^^^^ - Money sent since you just posted your email. Shipping address is included too. Thanks!

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

The game or the kitty? :haw:

I wish I had more retro game stores around me. There's only one relatively close by and it's still a 45 minute drive (People Play Games by Wrigley Stadium), and his prices aren't great. Good but not great, not completely awful. Plus 90% of what he had was NES and Atari, very few of anything PS1/N64 era and newer.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

fatpat268, Link's Awakening came today, thank you!

Unfortunately it looks like my old GBC hasn't survived about 10 years in my parent's basement. It turns on but the face buttons don't work, and it doesn't get passed the Game Boy screen sometimes. The inside is fine, no dust or spills or anything, and the buttons make good contact. Anyone know what the problem could be, if it's fixable at all?

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

fatpat268 posted:

Hmm. Weird. The only problem I usually hear of with old gbc's is bad sound.

Yeah I've never heard of it either. And I doubt it's the game, that'd be a spectacularly specific way for a game cart to fail, which I've also never heard of. I have another Gameboy game in the mail, if that works but Zelda doesn't I'll let you know.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Yeah, they pretty much always break down after a certain amount of use. There'll have to be a fix for them eventually as more and more controllers break down, in 10 years how hard will it be to find one in good shape?

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

^^^ I want it. :stare:

God, what's up USPS? :( I have one more package for my giftee before I can send everything. I ordered the last thing on the 25th, got a tracking number the next day, and it still hasn't arrived and the number isn't even showing anything except "Manifest Ack". The rest of their stuff has been sitting here for over a week now.

Has anyone gotten their gift yet, or sent their stuff off?

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

zenintrude posted:

I'll put it like this... I *spent* $50 on gifts, but that doesn't mean that I don't have scads of extra :retrogames: poo poo around that I'm going to throw in the box as well.

I spent about $50 on my stuff but I only have one neat little extra to throw in and I don't know if my giftee would even like it, but it makes a neat collectible. I don't own at all any neat things like posters or random fun retro gaming stuff like that or I'd throw more in.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

My giftee's stuff is ready to be sent off tomorrow morning. :dance: I hope they like what I picked out. Unfortunately they're in Canada so it probably won't get there until next week at least.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

The pirate cart came apart in shipping just like 80% of them do

drat, what happened to that cart? Did it just come open and bits fall out or is that part of the board actually broken off?

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

I'm not sure what other people are doing but I did sign mine. But, since my name is on the shipping label, they could just look it up on the Elfster page and see who I was anyway

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Kilazar posted:

So I was just looking around for some wireless controller options, and stumbled upon this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlnmfaILCHw

That is seriously cool. I doubt I have the electronics skill to make one, at least yet, but drat do I want to get a few old broken controllers, rip out the guts, and give this a shot.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

wixard posted:

If you download his info packet (linked from the youtube video) it's really about as basic as you could hope for in terms of a really functional project to get your feet wet. He spells everything out, complete with part numbers from a German electronics distributor and offers good diagrams and pictures of the parts crammed into the controller bodies. Looks like it would be about ~$50 per controller (mostly for the RF units) to buy the parts, and you'd have to invest in a USB interface to flash the microprocessors yourself (although he provides all the code to flash them with).

I think there must be a way to alter that build so you don't have to flash a microprocessor and could make d-pad controllers where the cable basically just becomes RF, because I'm guessing translating a bunch of basic switch inputs to transmit wirelessly is a pretty common application. Seems like it could not interpret the inputs at all, just wire the pins right at each end and voila, but I don't know if you can buy cheap components that do that. You'd lose the ability to make the controllers cross-platform, and analog sticks might be out the window, but that wouldn't be a huge deal to me personally.

If your goal is a setup where you have a lot of consoles, the cross-platform thing probably means figuring out how to program the processors from scratch for anything but NES, SNES, N64 and Saturn, since that's all the info he gives. It also limits you to 2 simultaneous controllers at any given time if all the receivers can only choose from the same 2 channels, whereas you could probably find chips tuned slightly differently for each console and use them all at the same time if you didn't worry about the cross-platform thing. I imagine most of us only play 1 console at a time, but if you ever have multiple consoles out as party favors or something wireless controllers would be extra-convenient.

I'm not much of a DIY electronics guy yet though, haven't done anything more complex than making my own arcade controller and fixing cables. Maybe someone else can chime in with whether that makes any sense.

I haven't looked at his info yet but this is pretty cool sounding now. My soldering iron is kind of crappy (it's one of those cheap ones with a tip WAY too big to do any fine work) and I'm broke right now, but maybe after I have the cash to get the parts and a new iron I'll give this a shot. I don't really care about cross-platform either, at least yet, so I'll experiment with a SNES controller first or something.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

There's also a LOT of counterfeit Pokemon games on the market. It's possible they drove up the prices a bit on legitimate copies. I'm honestly wary of buying the games even though I want them because of how many are out there that you can't detect without opening up the cart.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

1st gen 3D graphics: my anti-drug.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

I'm definitely going to look into that wireless controller mod now. There's a few things I need to get before I can try this mod, like a conical tip for my iron and a hot glue gun, but having looked at the parts and schematics I think I can do this. And if it's notto soul-crushingly tedious/boring, I'd probably offer the services for a good price to goons who want their controllers modded. And this is a good excuse to get my electronics skills back up to snuff and maybe get into console modding too.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

I thought '94 was supposed to be the "ultimate" one? Isn't that the one they are playing in the movie Swingers?

I also want to do that wireless controller mod but holy hell reading schematics like that combined with dyscalculia is asking for broken drywall and money in the swear jar. I wonder if I could internally mount the RF receivers inside the system :allears:

You probably could! And if you don't break any of the connections inside to the controller port, you could probably just plug in a standard controller too when the modded one is turned off.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

That is awesome! Gonna try this out :twisted:

It'll be a while before I have the parts and everything to start trying to do this, but if I can work it out, I could write out instructions for you. Would that be easier than working with the schematics? IE "From the VCC pin on the cord output, attach the LED, to the 1.2 kOhm resistor, to ground."

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Oh hells yes. I kind of can read schematics but those are crazy hard to follow. Only if it's not too much trouble :shobon:

Yeah, it shouldn't be too hard. I'll try and start getting stuff together when the new year starts. I'll keep the thread updated. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Just won a copy of Mischief Makers off Ebay for four bucks. :woop: Now I have an excuse to hook up the old 64 with my still perfect controller. :smug: But speaking of N64 analog sticks...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga8rLSz64XQ

Yup, he did that too. How are the replacement N64 sticks though? Is it worth destroying a GC controller for?

• Locked thread