Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Katana Gomai posted:

Time to christen this amazing thread with the first haul-post:

105€ for the whole lot via eBay (that Terranigma :swoon:). The guy didn't even advertise the Zelda map which is worth like 10€ by itself; probably the best lot I got so far, although that might change tomorrow (spoilers!)
Mother of god :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

wa27 posted:

This happened to my SMW cart about ten years ago. It randomly deleted my save that I had been working on completing off and on since I was a kid. All the other saves remained and the cart still saves to this day so I guess that just happens sometimes?
This happened to me too when I was a kid. My 96* save got deleted but it still worked perfectly fine. So I just got 96* again v:shobon:v

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

zenintrude posted:

Well hello there...

(this is not an argument against your point, it is support for it... apparently my posts have been misunderstood lately)
PSIV was 24 MegaBITS, not MegaBYTES. A Megabit is about 125 Kilobytes. They loved using Megabits to measure storage capacity on SNES/Genesis games for some reason.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dross posted:

I remember a lot of Genesis games (especially EA games) being taller than normal and having a little recessed yellow plastic part. What was that all about?
A lot of EA's early Genesis games were unlicensed so they used their own cartridge design. Sega apparently couldn't supply them with a devkit so EA somehow acquired one through shady means and reverse-engineered it to develop games. The 80's was a weird time for the games industry.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Quidnose posted:

Just started the Stonehenge dungeon in Earthbound, anyone want to make a pool how long it takes me to get a Sword of Kings? :v:
Earthbound is one of my favorite games of all time but I've never even bothered trying to get a SoK in any of my playthroughs

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I remember something interesting when I was into emulators and stuff heavily back in 1997 or so. I remember waiting patiently for Super Mario RPG to be dumped, and everyone claimed it was virtually impossible. Finally someone came up with one but it was like a 3MB incomplete dump. Then I read, when it was finally dumped, the person was able to do it because he literally had to destroy a game backup device to read Super Mario RPG. Not sure why this would be or if it were true but I always found it fascinating.
Yeah, I was way into emulators back in middle/high school, and I remember how much of a Big loving Deal it was when SMRPG got dumped, and when ZSNES/SNES9x could finally play it. This was back when NESticle was the NES emulator of choice and it had a severed bloody hand as its mouse cursor :unsmigghh:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

There must be something about the GBA that makes it easy to emulate because you can emulate it full speed on almost anything. When I had a custom firmware PSP it ran GBA emulators pretty much perfectly.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

WendigoJohnson posted:

So after beating Michael Jordan:Chaos in the Windy City, I have to say the most apt comparison is that it's pretty much Moonwalker but with Basketball and with Metroid Style powerups. The platformer has no terrible unfair jumps and really nothing made you want to throw down the controller. It's definetly not as good as Super Mario World, Super Metroid or even Earthworm Jim 2 or Vectorman, but then again the game only a few bucks. The game just like Moonwalker takes itself seriously, there is no tongue and cheek humor about the situations. It's literally Jordan is a basketball wizard who controls the elements and throws fire/ice/laser beam balls and you better take believe it because he's Michael Jordan and you're stupid if you don't think he's just that amazing.

If you have 2 bucks in your pocket and you see the game, get it.
I rented this game when I was a kid and I remember liking it. I liked a lot of really dumb poo poo back then though so who knows v:shobon:v

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

zenintrude posted:

Starting from the beginning every time?? :ohdear:
If he rented from the same place all the time then his save probably would have been there. I rented FFVI a lot as a kid and my save thankfully never got deleted.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bolverkur posted:

I'm hoping that your collective brain-power will help me and my girlfriend solve what has become a mystery running several years. We're getting obsessed with re-discovering a specific game she played as a kid, which she only vaguely recalls as the 'woman-game'. It features a female protagonist, scantily clad in red clothing, most likely a bikini of some sorts, or bikini-like. That's very vague, the only clear thing is the red clothing. She had dark hair, maybe red. It's a PC game and is a platformer, or at least a 2d game in that direction. It's not medieval exactly, but looks similarly. Pixelated graphics. Gameplay featured a lot of jumping, there were some monsters but it was more about getting around them. She doesn't remember having to specifically kill them. The main character wasn't that big on the screen. Her hair was kind of big, that 80's power metal feel.

This is driving us insane - I hope you can help us!
She doesn't have red clothing but this sounds a lot like Jill of the Jungle.

EDIT: It could also be Vinyl Goddess of Mars

Pablo Nergigante fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 16, 2013

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Space Harrier posted:

I somehow ended up with a pretty complete collection of Michael Jackson related videogames.
You're missing Sonic the Hedgehog 3!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I'm pretty sure the PSP version of SotN is a PSP-native port since it has so many differences from the PSX version, like Maria being a playable character with a totally different play-style from the Saturn version.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Related to that, would a Japanese DS game work on an American 3DS?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Thanks guys :) I know it's not strictly retro but I've been thinking about picking up a 3DS lately, partly for 3DS games but also to catch up on all the great DS games that came out after my DS Lite mysteriously disappeared a few years ago.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I've only beaten a couple Mega Man games through liberal use of save states so I commend you Random Stranger :)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

That reminds me, I forgot until literally just now that a few years ago I found a Goldstar 3DO with a few games at a Salvation Army. It didn't have any controllers though so I couldn't do anything with it besides put a game in and look at the title screen. The only game I remember getting was Star Control 2, which is probably one of the only games worth playing on the system. I don't know if I even still have that thing.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

HDTVs were still really expensive and not super-common in 2004. It probably wasn't worth it for most developers.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Quiet Feet posted:

Sega Dreamcast: come for the blood and gore, stay for the rescuing of adorable mice. :3:
Or both at the same time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga62uiXbEjI

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

juliuspringle posted:

Just picked up Tetris 2 (NES) and Mickey Mousecapade for $3 each. I've never played them so hopefully they aren't complete poo poo.
Tetris 2 doesn't seem to be particularly well-regarded these days but I think it's pretty good. It's a lot different from Tetris, in some ways it's closer to Dr. Mario (matching up colors to eliminate blocks). I rented the SNES version when I was a kid and had a good time with it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

juliuspringle posted:

Why isn't SMRPG playable on a flashcart?
The cartridge had the SA-1 chip which is basically an extra CPU. I would imagine that's why (and why emulation took a long time)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

It should be a 100-in-1 cartridge with nothing but palette swaps of Duck Tales.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

zenintrude posted:

Except the title screen says something to the effect of "Greedy Mallard"
STORY OF CANARD A
STORY OF CANARD B
GREEDY MALLARD
DUCKTAIL 1
DUCKTAIL 2
DUCKTAIL 3

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Ah, so its like Doki Doki Panic / Mario 2, only shittier.
SMB2 is great!! Also it was originally planned as a Mario sequel and then got changed to DDP and then back to SMB2.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Okay my laser assembly looks nothing like that!

No but it does look exactly like the USS Enterprise!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The arcade machine I want most would probably be Star Wars Trilogy Arcade (1998), ideally the sit-down version. I never got tired of playing that game ever.

EDIT: Except maybe for the couple of times I found a machine with either a broken or improperly calibrated joystick so I couldn't hit any enemies on one side of the screen.

Pablo Nergigante fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 17, 2013

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

This reminds me of an awesome arcade I used to go to as a kid/teen whenever I went to Salem, MA to visit my stepdad's family. There's a seaside park in Salem called The Willows, and they had a fantastic arcade open during the summer. It had a ton of classic poo poo but also top-of-the-line modern games. They had a WAR multi-cab set up in semi-circle form, Time Crisis, the full-sized Harley Davidson & L.A. Riders game by Sega (which owned), a bunch of full-sized sit-down racing games, fighting games, etc. Haven't been there in probably about 15 years though.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Continuing the PSP chat, does anyone have a PSP 2000 or 3000 they're willing to let go for cheap? I posted an SA-Mart thread but nobody's biting, and I've got a hankering for some on-the-go emulation.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ACID POLICE posted:

He was talking Bout worst in terms of FF games. Also LJN contracted Atlus to make a surfing game. I've never played it but it's by Atlus and therefore has a good shot at being pretty cool.

Also RIP Atlus

E: how hard do you guys think it'd be to repair the pedal on a Crisis Zone cab? Someone's selling one for 250...
The surfing game is T&C Surf Designs for the NES (a licensed game based on a surfing brand) and it's godawful.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I...don't think I quite understand. It makes sense if you are playing the NES and SNES versions of Super Mario 3 at the same time, but two different games? How, when walking to the right in Mega Man 2, would you not walk directly into a pit in Mega Man 3?

:psyduck:
Keep in mind these are TAS's so they can literally go frame by frame through each game for the optimum input. You'll notice in the MMX video there are parts where they go backwards unnecessarily in one game because they have to in another to advance.

EDIT: I don't mean to discount the videos because holy poo poo it's still pretty mind-blowing that someone figured out how to do it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I just today beat Contra for the first time...

...with use of the Konami Code and 3 continues :suicide:

Honestly it wasn't as hard as I expected - I played it when I was a kid and then kind of half-heartedly here and there over the years. I feel that with a little bit of practice I could probably beat it with no continues.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Thanks for clearing this up!

My favorite revision was Super Mario World where they changed Luigi so he looked more like Luigi rather than just a green Mario.
They did that when SMW was included with All-Stars. Some of Luigi's animations are different too, he slides down hills on his knees and spits fireballs :3: They sadly didn't keep those animations for the GBA port though :(

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I can't get over how the characters and the tile backgrounds are both scaled differently (and poorly)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I still think it's hilarious that's there's an ad with a reference to My Bloody Valentine's "Loveless" up there. Someone at Square was obviously a fan.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Peenmaster posted:

The main battle theme blew my mind as a kid because I just couldn't comprehend 5/8 timing.
10/8 :eng101:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

al-azad posted:

This must be a Japanese thing, RGM can barely get interviews with relatively known developers (at least within retro circles) like Nazca.
Retro Gamer has some pretty good interviews with Japanese developers who worked on big games in the few issues I have, they had an interview about the production of Super Castlevania IV with one of the developers (forget who) and an interview with Eiji Aonuma on Wind Waker. It's a great magazine and I actually appreciate the articles on British computer poo poo since I live in the US and it's pretty much all new to me.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I'm fairly certain the first video game I ever actually played was Super Mario Bros. at my neighbor's house when I was 4 years old. It became the first game I ever owned when I got an NES for Christmas at the age of 5 as well.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Substandard posted:

I'm also using but less sold on fPSE ($3.63)for PSX games (config is a pain in the rear end and I haven't found great settings yet), and GENPlusDroid (free) for Genesis stuff. Better solutions for these systems (or settings that work well on most things for fPSE) would be great. I also got RetroArch, but have played with it minimally at this point.
ePSXe is also available for Android for $3.75. I haven't used it much but FFIX played pretty flawlessly with minimal configuration.

EDIT: This was on a first-gen Nexus 7

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

TheHoosier posted:

So uh was the Shining series and Landstalkers supposed to co-exist in some way originally? I realize the 16-bit era didn't lend itself to a ton of variety but the audio and visual styles are way too similar. Little stuff like the sound text in the dialog makes, the overlord music, even the protagonist of Landstalkers resembles adult Bowie.

I know the years and developers are different but holy poo poo they're pretty close in some ways.
Actually Climax co-developed Shining in the Darkness and Shining Force 1 so there is an actual connection.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I just got a SNES from SA-Mart and I guess my main TV doesn't support 240p because I get no picture/sound. It works fine on my old LCD. What are my options for up scaling that don't involve RGB modding or buying a $300+ Framemeister or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

d0s posted:

Get a free/cheap CRT from craigslist or a thrift store, any Sony that says Trinitron on it would be more than good. It will be way better than anything you could do with an HDTV, including a framemiester imo

I know this is everybody's default answer but I don't have the room for a giant heavy-rear end TV in my apartment

• Locked thread