Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lime
Jul 20, 2004

Ambitious Spider posted:

Which would be cool, but the game gear screen is even worse than I remembered from when I was a kid.

Gotta replace those caps. Maybe swap that fluorescent tube out for some LEDs while you're in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

If I am not mistaken, PS1 games play in 100% hardware on the PS3. No emulation going on.

There isn't any PS1 hardware in a PS3. Even launch models only run PS1 games in emulation.

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

Anybody happen to know if there are any sites with Everdrive MDs still in stock? Or if there are any hints out there of when another run might be made? Every place I look it's just back-ordered for the indefinite future.

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

Fluffdaddy posted:

Yea, my bad. It will play PS2 imports but not PS1. Time to hunt for a software solution, unless there are still ps2 modchips floating around out there.

You can use Free McBoot, after a fashion, to play PS1 backups / imports. Just start the system with a retail, region-appropriate PS1 disc in, and hold down whatever button makes it boot into the uLaunchELF file browser (R1 by default I think). The file browser stops the disc motor, so you can do what's basically the disc swap trick except it a) is foolproof and b) doesn't gently caress the drive up. Exit the file browser and the backup launches without complaint.

Of course, you still need to keep the PS2 from knowing the tray opened, so you've got to use a slide tool on a fat PS2 or (weighing some initial hassle against greater convenience later) open up your slim PS2 and tape down the little mechanical spring-loaded "sensors". With my slim, this is an extra five seconds' delay at worst.

Lime fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Dec 14, 2012

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

It's the easiest mod chip I ever installed, honestly. It's almost impossible to mess up. The solder points are HUGE. It's more difficult/risky taking the thing apart than modding it, honestly.

Are you sure you have a model 1 Saturn? Because these are the instructions. The boards are designed for model 2 Saturns, and for a model 1 it needs kinda significant modification. And then look at this poo poo:

You don't need to solder the ribbon cable, but apparently the case doesn't really fit anymore if you stand the board up in the edge connector.

At any rate, Keyboard Kid, the absolute cheapest option is a permanent jumper mod. See here for reference. If you're turning North American Saturn Japanese, you could do this just by moving two resistors. Like, if your jumpers look like this (North American Saturn):

Just move the resistor bridging the solder points in jumper 6 over to jumper 7, and the one bridging jumper 11 over to jumper 10, and now it's Japanese. Whether both resistors are strictly necessary, I don't know. You can see traces directly connecting the common points in jumpers 9 and 13 to ground, but might as well copy what's there.

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

Keyboard Kid posted:

Why would anyone bother with a modchip?

To play burned games. As other people have already said, the Saturn mod chip has nothing to do with region locking. To play games out of region, you'd have to patch the region code in the image before burning.

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

Speaking of slim PS2s, the later models are supposed to be incompatible with a bunch of PSX games and some PS2 games, but I've played Driver on my SCPH-75001 without issue. Out of curiosity, can anyone actually confirm incompatibility with any these games?

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

the_lion posted:

Sonic 1 and 2 (You probably have these already. They are different from the genesis games)

Master System Sonic is so good, a tight, pared-down, lovely little game you can sit and play in an hour. It's the Super Mario Land of the Sonics. Sonic 2 and the rest of the Aspect developed SMS/GG Sonics are hilarious messes. Just look at Sonic Blast. Technically an SMS game as Tec Toy (same people behind this version of Duke Nukem 3D) released an ever uglier, color palette challenged port in Brazil.

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

WendigoJohnson posted:

He's stroking the buttons like that because nothing is really on the TV screen. [...] TV refresh rates would not have matched up with the video camera and you would get this endless flickering and nothing would stay on the screen. So the TV screen with the games on it was edited in post production. You can even see that the buttons he presses do not match up with the movements on the screen.

I think it's more likely the TV and the camera are just synced. If you're a studio shooting commercials, you've probably got the equipment. Look at ~22s in, the lower left of the screen is reflected in one of the game boxes, and when the cyan hallway goes by, you can see it light up the metal trim on the 7800. No way they were doing all that in post in the mid 80s.

Lime fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 10, 2013

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

TheMammoth posted:

But, if I've done all that, and my GG still boots, but has a very faint or garbled screen, is the last resort just opening it up and cleaning further?

Corroded batteries don't usually mess up more than the battery contacts, but if it turns on then they're probably clean enough. This sounds more like leaking caps. Happens to pretty much every Game Gear. The only fix is replacing them all.

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

overdriveGTO posted:

Anyone have a suggestion as to where I could find a Shining Force 3 manual and insert? I have the disc still since I left it in my Saturn but lost the manual to flood damage.

Something easier than hunting ebay for just a manual even if it ends up being more expensive.

Ratigators has a complete set of US Saturn manuals, as well as sets for other Sega consoles. The site is a little awkward, you can only download page by page. They used to host on mediafire and you could get a zip for each game, but oh well, the pages are still numbered sequentially so it's easy to automate.

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

Midnight Raider posted:

The basic rundown I can give out of my possibly rusty memory, is that the PSP version adds in a few less-than-important extra scenes and fights, a pair of bonus hidden characters, an extra class, etc, as well as some animated cutscenes.

I don't see this mentioned often, maybe no one cares, but the CG cutscenes in the PSP version actually replace the scripted, in-engine cutscenes of the original. For instance, after the first battle, the princess's abduction:

PSX version

PSP version

I really prefer the original. A CG cutscene is a game admitting the limits of its reality, and it's unnecessary here because the dramatic action was contrived specifically to the limits of the engine. The original was constructed to be complete unto itself, a tiny total sealed universe and now it's fractured a little bit. It's no great sin or anything, sure, it's just senseless meddling.

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

Does it run on a Genesis 1 or a Genesis 2 power supply? The tips are opposite polarities.

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

flyboi posted:

For those of you who use Tenso it appears Japan upped regulations and they're requiring proof of identity that needs to be submitted and reviewed. HOWEVER to entice people to get the poo poo done they're offering a free coupon to use on your next order if you submit your identification now. Just login and a window will pop up telling you this and link to the submission page.

Since the last step of the process is actually receiving a package at your alleged address, I assume I'm not getting that coupon until then? Because they just approved my ID and I was able to pay, but there's nothing about coupons in my email or on my Tenso page.

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

Agrias120 posted:

The odd thing, though, is that the game runs normal SNES carts fine and if I boot into a game from the SD2SNES it also runs fine, it only seems to potentially stall out on the menu screen.

You should probably get a higher power AC adapter. The stock one is only rated for 850mA, right? I know krikzz recommends at least 1A for the Everdrive MD, and that thing doesn't even have an FPGA like the SD2SNES does.

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

Is it using the higher quality flash memory ala the Powerpak? Sorry for :spergin: but I am curious.

Neither the Powerpak nor the N8 use flash memory, "flash cart" has just become a generic term mostly.

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

Install Gentoo posted:

They're called flash carts because you store the games on flash memory (in older ones they were custom modules, in current ones it's CompactFlash or SD, whcih are still flash memory).

Okay, yeah, from that perspective they're all still proper flash carts. Still, it's worth distinguishing what carts actually run ROMs from, and krikzz himself calls the N8 a RAM cart.

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

Copper Vein posted:

If you've got a step-down in-line to treat your official brick real nice, why don't you put your meter on that brick to see if it is actually outputting 10v like it says it will and not 13v, 'cuz I bet you it is at least 3v over. They always are. Doesn't that worry you, if you are the worrying type?

They put out 10v under load, measuring with no load other than the meter isn't terribly useful. That said, you can probably feed 13v to a console wanting 10v without a problem, its voltage regulators will just get hotter.

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

flyboi, can you confirm/deny the problems this guy has with his ED64 and certain cart-saving games? For at least Mega Man 64, Ridge Racer 64, and Yoshi's Story, his 64 just won't reset, so the saves can never get backed up to the SD.

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Why does Krikzz not make a GB or GBA flashcart? I would buy both of them in a heartbeat considering that there are no real GB flashcarts out there (not that I know of anyway), and the EZflashIV at realhotstuff is always out of stock.

From last July:

krikzz posted:

I pretty sure that i will never work over NeoGeo. At least, in next 1-2 years. May be GB/GBC or NES/Famicom. I would like to use new generation of cpld chips, with low power consumption, in case if i will work over gb/gbc cart, but currently hard to buy this chips and they cost a lot

And he's certainly realized one of those ideas. There's also some more recent posts about doing a "toy" cart next, like maybe one for the Jaguar.

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

univbee posted:

Definitely get a Mini if you intend to get a flash cart, as the early SNESes and SFC's tend to not fall into the tolerances requires. I had 5 of those models and it wasn't until I got a Mini as my 6th that things worked consistently.

Tolerances? Wild guess, you're talking about the rating on the stock power bricks, right? Those are easily replaced.

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

Holy moley, that brand new Ball alone is worth like $100 :stare:

That's one of the Club Nintendo reproductions, which seem to go for ~$40 on eBay. Still quite generous, though.

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

No even the Club Nintendo reproductions are going for around $100.

Not that this is particularly important or anything, but they really don't.

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

Regardless, I just didn't want his generosity going unnoticed.

That's a great sentiment and all, but it's kind of crass to watch an exchange of gifts and shout out the cash value of stuff. And when it's wildly inflated too (btw the $80+ ones are all Japanese editions, for whatever reason), that's just going to embarrass people. The secret santa thing has some nominal limit on money spent, doesn't it?

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

Blackchamber posted:

So recently I picked up a SD2SNES and rather than modeling and printing out my own custom cartridge for it (its a time consuming process and I'm already behind on other projects as it is) I figured I'd just find a donor cart. The catch is I wanted it to be something unusual. So I hop onto ebay figuring there would be just as many irregular carts for the super famicom as there was on the original famicom. Sadly I can't find any.

There's also Bandai Sufami Turbo. No idea about the rarity of the games themselves, the base cart looks like a pair of horns or a crown or something and is pretty cheap.

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

univbee posted:

In all likelihood I'm very wrong about this, but it seems like krikzz can narrow his focus quite a bit now. As far as I know, he has no new flashcart plans, and the only ones that are in need of significant work are the SD2SNES (support for more chips like SuperFX) and N8 (more mappers and fixing the extra sound). All his other carts are essentially compatible with everything on a realistic level (e.g. Genesis Virtua Racing will never work and with good reason). Has he mentioned Game Boy or GBA cart plans?

krikzz (aka Igor Lebedenko) didn't design the SD2SNES and he doesn't write the firmware. That's all ikari (aka Maximilian Rehkopf), krikzz just puts them together.

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

:smug:

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

ACID POLICE posted:

Turbo Everdrives next month and at least one more big group buy after that!

How's the pricing going to work for this? Your N8 groupbuy is $17 more than the bulk price but Turbo Everdrives are only $19 cheaper in bulk. Not trying to dump on what you're doing, I'm just curious because I'm thinking about buying one now maybe.

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

krikzz had another vision

krikzz posted:

in the dream i saw the strangers, they kept gb/gbc everdrive in the hands

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

I just want to post this screengrab

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

Caitlin posted:

You guys do realize people definitely make replacement N64 controller gears, right?

http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/n64-joystick-gears

I bought some of these last year and they did not work. The gear wedges were too small and the teeth could not actually engage the gears on the board. I bought five sets and they were all useless. I should have told Kitsch Bent but they were so cheap and I wanted to take pictures to prove it and then I just lost interest.

Maybe they're fixed now, maybe I got part of a messed up batch. Please post your luck when you all get them.

EDIT: Felt inspired to try these again on a different controller and here the new gears are grinding into the boards ones, like they're too long. I don't know. Maybe it's the years of wear unique to each stick that makes it really hard to put only some new pieces in. I don't know.

The joystick modules are also a pain in the rear end to get back together right.

Lime fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 21, 2015

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

Read the Sarcastic Back of the Case for Genesis Jeopardy some time.

it boils down to YEAH ITS JEOPARDY, YEAH WE MADE A STUPID GAME, YEAH IT SUCKS, BUY IT ANYWAY ITS THE COOL THING TO DO!

Here, let me spoil this memory for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

I would just search craigslist for "trinitron" directly. I think most people who just want to get rid of their big heavy old TV are unlikely to use "CRT" in the listing.

• Locked thread