Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Just wanted to say, excellent work on the new thread and everybody's love of ye olden vidja games. I haven't really gotten much as far as new acquisitions in the past few months as I've reached a point in my collection where I'm pretty satisfied with what I have, as well as my local area drying up as far as worthwhile purchases. I'd like to expand my US Sega Saturn collection a bit more, but it isn't a high priority for me unfortunately. I mean, once you have Panzer Dragoon Saga, where do you go from there, ya know?

It also doesn't help that a lot of discussion is around modding consoles for various fancy video output stuffs and the like, an area I don't really dabble with as I'm a dumb purist with my consoles. Basic maintenance is about the extent I take to my consoles as it is. Not that I don't like the work y'all are doing, I think it's great, just not something I'd like to do to my own hardware is all. I mean I'm still playing my stuff on old not-flat CRTs.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Nov 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

StellarX posted:

I haven't played the DS Zeldas. What was so bad about them?

Some folks do not like that you have to use the touch screen for practically everything. This did not bother me. What did bother me was the massive amount of backtracking Phantom Hourglass had. Granted, I still enjoyed the game. Haven't gotten the other one yet.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

iastudent posted:

Since we're talking about controllers, would any of you happen to have an official N64 controller in decent shape? None of the retro stores here carry one and I ended up having to grab one of these. I may have not played a N64 in years, but I could already tell something just feels... wrong.

A couple of years ago, Play-Asia had official Japanese N64 controllers in stock, new in box. I ordered six of them, with the intent of ordering more about a month later. They sold out really fast. :smith:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Midnight Raider posted:

I've got to admit, seeing that there are special devices people use to boost the display quality of their retro games that are intensive enough to require their own power source is kind of wowing to someone like me who is only just getting into this kind of thing. :psyduck:

I'm glad I'm one of the few people not interested in modding their systems to run on higher-end video outputs and the like. I mean, it's cool and all, but I'm already paying stupid amounts of money on games as it is. I don't think I can afford to play around with running HDMI out of my NES, especially since I'm really picky about how old hardware should run on old non-flat CRTs. If anything, I should be spending money on more CRTs.

Haven't really posted on this thread much since my purchasing has slowed to a crawl. I've reached a point where most of my Nintendo-related collections are at a satisfactory level, along with the Sega Genesis/CD/32X, Master System, 3DO, and all the pre-NES stuff. The big hurdles for me now are the Sega Saturn and the Dreamcast. While the Dreamcast won't be too difficult to bring it up to speed like how I powered through the N64 stuff, the Sega Saturn is going to be a big hit on my wallet, as I'm partaking in the foolish endeavor of focusing on US-released CIB copies of games, and I'm going to have to rely on the internet for most of my purchases. I'm also going to have to buy new shelving units. This year's gaming budget is all about the Saturn.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Crimson Harvest posted:

Because of the price disparity between SNES and Genesis games, I managed to pick up a CIB (cardboard :P) PS4 for $4. Or was it $8? Whatever, it was dirt cheap compared to a contemporary SNES RPG.

drat, that's a pretty good deal. I had to spend $20 on my CIB copy of Phantasy Star IV (I believe all copies came in that cardboard box). But yeah, compared to building my SNES library, the Genesis is way cheaper, and even the most expensive Genesis games complete barely reach most loose copies of SNES RPGs. I still have quite a few Genesis games I need to get a hold of now that I think about it, mostly those that came in those lovely cardboard boxes.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

WendigoJohnson posted:

Ah, I do have this one for other systems, but I don't have the original. Did Capcom vs SNK also come out for the Xbox under the name SVC:Chaos or that just a different game alltogether? I noticed that it was incredibly cheap compared to the Dreamcast and Playstation ports.

SVC Chaos is actually a completely different game from Capcom vs. SNK; it was SNK's version of the crossover license, using an SNK 4-button fighting system ala King of Fighters rather than a 6-button ala Street Fighter. SNK wasn't doing well at the time, having died and been reborn as SNK Playmore and all, and I believe the crossover license between the Capcom and SNK stuff was near expiration, so they just kinda cranked that game out in a quickly fashion, and it shows. It uses what feels like a modified King of Fighters 2002 engine, with no rolling and even worse balancing issues than normal. I mean, I enjoyed the game as a fun little diversion, but it's pretty barebones. The thing I liked most about the game was the pre-fight dialogue between characters, as well as the return of Mr. Karate from Art of Fighting 1 (even though Takuma Sakazaki was in several games (not that they're the same person :tinfoil: )). Dan Hibiki, oddly enough, was really good in the game all things considered.

Capcom vs. SNK was only on the Dreamcast. Capcom vs. SNK Pro, an updated version of the game, was on the Dreamcast and Playstation 1, though I believe the Dreamcast version of that game never made it to the states, and the Playstation version was garbage.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Antillese posted:

CvS1 absolutely was released in the US on the Dreamcast.

Oh I know it was, I have a copy myself. I mean CvS1 Pro for the Dreamcast wasn't released in the US, but the PSX version was and it was awful (also have a copy of that). My wording might have been bad.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

So I've got 2500 Stars and want to pick up one of the G&W Collections, seeing as Club Nintendo AU actually bothered to stock them now. Which one has the better games on it? I haven't played anything G&W related since.. uhh.. the first collection on the Game Boy, I think.

They're both alright, but just like Random Stranger, I will also recommend the first if you can only get one.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Nintendo is pretty much just being spiteful at this point with their lack of Earthbound acknowledgement.

Unrelated, I got sick of being a hypocrite, forcing my recommendations onto others considering I had never played FF9 myself. I've decided to rectify this, and I am doing it in a pretty fantabulous way:

I always loved that official Sony PSone screen. It makes even terrible 3-d look pretty good, and man the speakers are INCREDIBLE. The viewing angle is pretty bad but other than that, the screen looks gorgeous; especially considering this screen is technology from when it was released like 12 years ago. I also love the way it makes the console look. Boy do I love me some official console add-ons.

About two years ago, my brother and I kept finding PSones with the screen still attached at random used game stores for $30 each, which was kind of funny because they were selling PSones without the screen for the same amount. And strangely enough, the screens on each of them are still in great shape, not to mention the consoles themselves. He kept one set for himself while I have two sets on hand. Love the things.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

I was playing Shinobi Legions on the Saturn earlier, and I noticed something kind of strange. It's the US version, so it was published by Vic Tokai. However, when you boot up the game, you get that quick Sega splash screen, and then it goes to the title screen, where Vic Tokai is not mentioned at all. There's probably some mention of Vic Tokai in the end credits, but I just found it weird that there's no reference of them at all either upon booting up or on the title screen. As far as the game's startup is concerned, it's all Sega.

And speaking of the Saturn, I finally got around to getting a (near mint) CIB copy of Fighters Megamix. Never played it before, but it's amusing enough, especially the secret characters. The 3D fighting game hype has got me thinking of getting Last Bronx next, yet I'm also leaning towards Die Hard Arcade and Clockwork Knight. Might just grab whatever is cheapest next week. Just gonna keep chipping away at my US-released Saturn wishlist before I decide to start buying import titles that were never released outside of Japan. 2013 is definitely going to be the Year of the Saturn for me.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

On the subject of Gamecube games and that era in general, it wasn't until recently that my PS2 collection surpassed my Gamecube collection. I was really adamant about building the Gamecube up before it was too late, and it looks like it paid off for the most part. I'm still on the lookout for Mario Party 5-7, a couple of other first-party titles, and at the very least Killer 7 for the system. Maybe RE: Code Veronica since I have all the other RE games on the system. It's a great system, and I played the hell out of it when I was in tech school and well after during my USAF days. A bunch of us played the crap out of Pac-Man Vs., the ultimate funhaver party drinking game that the Halo players would yell at because we were too loud and annoying and drunk.

I was also one of the smart ones when it came to ordering things from the Nintendo online store while I still had the chance. My official GCN component cable and my complete copy of Pokemon Box Ruby & Sapphire rule. :smug:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

My favorite memory-hog game is The Horde for the 3DO. To save in that game, it demands all of the 3DO's internal memory storage. And by "demand" I mean that, if you try to save, it will not prompt you that there is a lack of storage or ask if you want to delete any save files to make room, but rather it will forcably overwrite everything in storage to make room for its save file.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

True story: I spent more on my CIB copy of Earthbound than I did my CIB copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga. I didn't like having to spend more on a game that's uncommon at best, but at that point the game wasn't getting any cheaper and the horrible Earthbound fanbase lets that price fixing happen. I like Earthbound, but seriously gently caress its fans.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

flyboi posted:

Well that's your own stupidity.

You forget what thread this is.

:retrogames::snoop::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames::snoop::retrogames:

Also, I made both purchases years ago, so any amount of buyer's remorse I may have had is long gone now. Gotta live in the now. With my CIB copies of Panzer Dragoon Saga and Earthbound that are worth more now than they were when I bought them. :smuggo:

(Earthbound fans are still crazy)

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 24, 2013

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

WendigoJohnson posted:

Virtua Racing, Kolibri, Knuckles Chaotix, and Star Wars Arcade are pretty much the only good games in the 32X's library.

You forgot Space Harrier, which is pretty much the best game on any system it's on. :colbert:

The 32X version of Virtua Fighter is, strangely, better than the first Saturn version. The Saturn version was so bad they ended up releasing Virtua Fighter Remix to fix all the lovely issues it had.

After Burner is pretty fun as well, but without that crazy arcade cabinet seat it just isn't the same.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

zenintrude posted:

The other thing is not to let your employees snipe all of the best stuff. I know this is kind of hard to enforce (even more so since it's probably seen as one of the perks of the job) but it, like the bad pricing mentioned above, creates a store that feels stagnant because the customer feels like they're never going to happen upon a treasure when coming into your store. When I saw a local guy trading in a bunch of stuff at my local used game store and one of the titles was a CIB Mars Matrix, I knew that poo poo would never see the inside of a display case and it just made me even less interested in frequenting the place.

One of the last stores in my area that deals in old games is a general used entertainment store that mostly deals in music. The employees there seem to be a bit knowledgable about games, yet do not collect them, so a lot of the times I or one of the other, less frequent, collector regulars end up getting the good stuff. They're also not abrasive and may or may not all be stoners, but whatever. There's another store about a mile from there, however, that is a dedicated gaming store that also deals in collectible card games and tabletop gaming, and they're very blatant about hoarding all the good stuff as well as overpricing a few items. Those employees are real life Comic Book Guys and I am never going back to their store again (and judging from the few times I've been there, nobody else does as well).

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

WendigoJohnson posted:

:stare: Woah woah woah the stores you go to, they let you haggle for instructions and paperwork? NONE of the stores I have ever been to allow you to do that(and I even asked for meager stuff like empty PS2 cases). They get all snooty and litereally scoffed at my offer of 50 bucks for 100 empty PS2 cases. I had a hell of a time trying to get a Dino Crisis 2 booklet from them because *it would break up the set" and that game sat on the shelf in that store for well over 2 years(it was also very sunfaded).

The employees at the good store I mentioned in my post above yours give me NES dust sleeves, SNES dust caps, and various video game manuals and inserts for free all the time. Part of it is because they told me that it is store policy to toss those items out if they don't come with the box, in order to save space. The other part is because I asked them about it two years ago, and now it's just routine for them.

They also find it strange that I'm probably the only "collector" frequenting their store that was actually serious about the hobby because they get others coming in all the time offloading their crap once they're sick of it (or they move to emulation), only to have me pick and choose at the spoils like a vulture.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Caitlin posted:

^^ what moon planet do you live on

I refuse to mention it on the grounds that I have a good thing going and I don't need competition. And the competition I do have is weak.

The store is similar to that Last Stop place flyboi mentioned, though. And they're situated near a college so the influx of gaming stuff is pretty good.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Play 'n Trades were the weirdest stores in my area. The one closest to me lasted the longest, and I was surprised that it lasted as long as it did before finally shutting down last year. I was able to grab a Dreamcast Fishing Controller with Sega Bass Fishing 1 and 2 for $15, everything complete, as well as a loose copy of SNK vs. Capcom on the Neo Geo Pocket Color for a scant $3, among many other things. Meanwhile, Final Fantasy VII and Dragon Warrior VII were sitting high on the hog at $60 a piece. One of the employees that worked there used to joke that I bought so many of their more obscure items that customers got bored of visiting the store due to lack of variety. I don't think they ever got many trade-ins as their last several months in business had a stagnating stock of crap that never moved.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

ohnoitschris posted:

Oh, and about a year ago I embarked on a quest to collect every Zapper game for NES. I thought it'd be a fun little adventure to collect a subset of not-too-rare games, and as a result I've kept a nifty little spreadsheet. I just averaged out the prices for the last 5 carts sold of almost every Zapper game on eBay and added them to my list, so here's my neat little spreadsheet guide to Zapper games.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnYA4I9uG8vxdGduc0VfVGJTTXdXeURiSjFyazl4dkE

Did you know that:

-The Lone Ranger is the most valuable, officially licensed Zapper game?
-There were two unlicensed Zapper games (that I know of) released in the NES days, and they're the most valuable by far?
-There are four black label Zapper games total?
-Zapper games were released for six years, from 1985 to 1991, but there were only 17 total? I think there were only 17 total. Correct me if I'm wrong there.

Wow, Chiller is going for more than I remember. I bought a copy from a used entertainment store (one a bit farther from the one I usually frequent, but part of the same chain) for about $40 loose three years ago. I don't remember how much eBayers were selling the game for at the time, though. It was in alright condition for the most part.

From your list, you have more Zapper games than I do, but I have some of the ones you don't: Bayou Billy, Laser Invasion, and Track & Field II. We're both missing Baby Boomer, The Lone Ranger, and Gotcha! The Sport. Also, Gumshoe is my favorite Zapper game.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

The reason I don't spend money on trying to get the best video and audio quality out of my consoles is mostly because I'm spending that money on buying physical copies of games to run on the consoles I own. Besides which, I'm playing most of the older consoles through an old 19" CRT TV via RCA cables, and that's good enough for me. Different priorities and all that. I don't bother asking why people want to mod their consoles to run the best video possible, so hopefully nobody asks me why I don't just buy a flash card and/or CD-R burn all my games.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

TG16 games are the next on my list right after I'm done with the Saturn. I only have 8 TG16 games and 2 TGCD games, and the method I'm collecting them at is with their jewel case but not complete with the cardboard box. Even with the few games I have for it, they're really good. R-Type, Military Madness, Splatterhouse, Bonk's Adventure, and Neutopia are pretty great, while Vigilante is the spiritual successor to Kung Fu Masters and I enjoy it despite it having a few issues. Victory Run is pretty much the console's OutRun/Rad Racer, while Keith Courage is kinda mediocre at best but it came with my TG16 so whatever.

From what I've seen, prices on the games are about on the low to mid end of the Saturn price spectrum. The only real expensive piece I'm looking for is the US version of the System Card 3.0. Unlike some of the smarter TG16 enthusiasts that may reside in the thread, I didn't get a TurboDuo, but rather I got a vanilla TG16 and the CD add-on, which means that in order for me to play any of the really good CD games, I'm going to have to buy an overpriced 3.0 card. That being said, the only TGCD games I own are Ys Book I & II (good) and Fighting Street (aka Street Fighter 1, bad but funny).

The main reason I'm focusing on the Saturn over the TG16 at the moment is because Saturn stuff is in higher demand, due to lack of ports of many of the games. TG16, on the other hand, has games ported all over the Wii VC (and apparently the PSN).

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 28, 2013

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Cannot Find Server posted:

Excellent.

Now to start trying to convince people to buy a 3DO. If the Turbo GrafX is my favorite non-mainstream system, the 3DO is my favorite outright failed system.

As a 3DO owner, everybody should own it, if only for the really weird games that just weren't ported over to other system. Immercenary and the slew of old, medicore FPS titles on the system are just fun to me in a very campy way. I also own the two Japanese-only Wacky Races games. They're...odd, to say the least.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

I have a model 1 Genesis hooked up to my model 1 CD, and a model 2 Genesis hooked up to my model 2 CD and my 32X. The best of both worlds. :smuggo:

(if I could find the drat cable for hooking up a 32X to a model 1 Genesis, I'd do that as well)

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Djarum posted:

How hard is it to find a working a TurboCD these days? I need to get some Composite out on my TG16 and I don't want to just buy a power base.

Here's my TGCD story: I bought a guy's set of TG16 stuff which included the CD add-on, two controllers, and a TurboGrafx-16 hard plastic carrying case off of eBay. TG16 works, while the CD add-on did not. Turns out the connector for the power base to CD drive is busted, but I managed to test out the CD drive separately (you can pretty much use it as a portable CD player, but it doesn't use batteries so you have to plug it in to an AC adapter) and it worked. About two weeks later I find a guy on eBay selling the power base "as parts" and untested for pretty cheap. Works fine, everything is right with the world.

This was three years ago, and it took me a while to find a guy selling the CD add-on at all, let alone one that worked (in this case it didn't really but was fixable). I'm going to assume that time has not been kind to the add-on, and you should probably get a TurboDuo instead. I, on the other hand, like hunting down harder-to-acquire hardware, but that's just me; I love the goofy TG16/CD combo.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

So I own The Game Handler (tm) for the NES. It's a pretty lovely controller, but came with a cool capsule container and an instructional VHS tape. For years, I've wanted to rip the tape and upload it to YouTube, but I just never bothered. Apparently, somebody else had the same idea a year ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VOd1frUaOg

Check out those radical graphics and awesome video game tips and tricks! One-handed gaming, long before Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball existed! :getin:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Allen Wren posted:

When you say "arcade perfect", how perfect do you really mean? Space Harrier is seriously one of my all-time favorites, and as far as I've been aware, there's never been a good port of it (with the possible exception of something in the last couple generations that I might have missed.)

The only thing really different between the arcade and 32X version that I can tell is that the 32X version is running at a slightly lower resolution due to the 32X/Genesis video out.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

midge posted:

I don't understand all the love for 32x recently. It really is the ginger stepchild of Sega's stable. I guess people are being ironic, but there isn't a single good loving game on that system. Just awful.

Random Stranger posted:

It is an awful system and should be down there with the Virtual Boy and Jaguar on the list of systems that are skippable.

shymog posted:

the N64 that I'm using as a footrest right now.

I thought YCS was closed.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

WendigoJohnson posted:

Am I missing any? I take except for the Zelda ones, the rest are just novelty items that have no collector value for them.

You have quite a few more than I have, but I have one you didn't list. There was a Metroid Prime 2 bonus disc. To be honest, I don't even remember how I got a hold of it; I don't remember it coming with my copy of MP2. Probably an old eBay auction.

ohnoitschris posted:

Metroid Prime came with a Metroid Prime 2 preview disc or something if you got the version that came with a new GameCube. And as for the value thing, I know at least at one point that Pokemon Colosseum bonus disc was going for like $50 because that's the only legit way you could get I think Jirachi?

Yeah, I most definitely got my Metroid Prime 2 bonus disc from an eBay account.

And yes, the Pokemon Colosseum bonus disc was the way to get Jirachi. I'm sure it gave you a limit of one Jirachi per GBA game.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 9, 2013

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

WendigoJohnson posted:

I thought it was one Jirachi per GBA save? Menaing you could restart each time and get another jirachi.

That sounds correct. Haven't restarted any of my GBA games before. Maybe I'll test it out one day, but that sounds right.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Light Gun Man posted:

Not sure if this meets your criteria for bonus disc, but here's one I haven't seen mentioned yet: Pac-Man Vs.

Great game, if you have the GBAs, cables, and friends to actually play it.

Unlike most of the other Gamecube games that use GBAs and link cables, Pac-Man Vs. only needs one of each. The guy that plays Pac-Man has control of the GBA, with complete access to the map, while the other three players use the TV split screen and have limited vision range. It's also the best party game on the Gamecube.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

WendigoJohnson posted:

It seems to come in a 2-pack with another Pacman game, were there any changes between the two versions or is the game just repackaged?

It's a repackage. I think Pac-Man Vs. was originally a promo disc or something; you couldn't buy it through conventional means. When the Player's Choice re-release of Pac-Man World 2 came out, it included Pac-Man Vs. As far as I can tell, they're the same right down to the disc's artwork and software content.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Light Gun Man posted:

And yeah it is like a bonus disc to an ultimately less interesting (in my opinion) Pac-Man platformer thing. Unless I am remembering that wrong now too!

It's a pretty standard 3D platformer that doesn't do anything interesting, but I found it enjoyable anyway. Not a bad game by any means, but there are better 3D platformers on the Gamecube. The best part about the game was all the other Pac-Man games you can unlock (Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Pac-Mania, Pac-Attack). I probably spent more time on Pac-Attack than Pac-Man World 2 because I love puzzle games.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

ghostinmyshell posted:

Intellivision games are decades old and they are quite simplistic compaired todays games. A few are timeless, but many are forgetable. One problem is that the controller has never been properly emulated. I'm sure anyone who grew up with this system like I have would tell you how the games worked well with the controller.

Here is my list of awesome games(If I left any off it's because I never played them):

Advanced Dungeons and Dragons
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons - Treasure of Tarmin (My copy actually died, so if someone wants to sell me a copy that would be awesome)
Armor Battle
Astrosmash
B-17 Bomber
Beauty and the Beast
Bump N Jump
Burgertime
Commando
Dreadnaught Factor
Hover Force
Microsurgeon
Mission X
Night Stalker
Sea Battle
Star Wars - ESB
Sub Hunt
Tron Deadly Discs
Tron Solar Sailer
Utopia
World Series Baseball

Out of that list though: Treasure of Tarmin, Tron Deadly Discs, and Dreadnaught Factor are ones I could fire up and have a blast with today. gently caress the haters.

In addition to some of these games listed, I'll also throw in a couple extra recommendations:

Space Spartans - Half of the game is a first-person space dogfighting game, and the other half takes place on a grid map. Before you start, you can place bases on the map, which are used for repairing your spaceship. Then you spend the game observing the map for any alien activity and race around engaging them, which puts you in said first-person combat. Your ship has several systems, which use energy, and you spend quite a bit of time finding a good balance. Each of the buttons corresponds to a different system. Taking damage wears down on your systems, ranging from disabling shields to thrusters and more. Eventually, you'll get outnumbered, your bases will fall, and you'll be stuck in an unwinnable 10-to-1 fight where you can't even steer because your flight controls were disabled. It also uses the voice add-on. It rules.

Lock 'n' Chase is the arcade game of the same name, if any of you played it. It's a maze game kind of like Pac-Man. If you like maze games then go for it. (I love maze games)

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Harlock posted:

Japanese Saturn games are so dirt cheap :negative:

That is hard to resist and I don't even own a Saturn or can read Japanese.

If I were just starting up a Saturn collection today, it'd be a much cheaper endeavor to import everything, and my Japanese is passable enough to at least navigate menus and simple dialog.

But since I'm about 50 CIB titles into a US Saturn collection built over the past 14 or so years, there's no going back. All the games I want to round off my collection I'm going to want CIB in US format. While I already own expensive titles like Panzer Dragoon Saga and Dragon Force, I'm still in the market for games like Shining Force III, Burning Rangers, and Saturn Bomberman. Thankfully, my wishlist for Saturn stuff is pretty small, but still :retrogames:.

That's not to say I'm not interested in importing some of the Japan-only Saturn releases.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Midnight Raider posted:

Sakura Taisen is a series I always wanted to get into as well, but the language/import barrier was always pretty high. Last time I checked years ago there wasn't even a good translation out, but I imagine things must be a bit different these days.

When I'm done with my US Saturn collection, Sakura Taisen will be one of the Saturn imports I end up getting first. As a very amatuer Japanese conversationalist and veteran Super Robot Wars gamer, it shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

As a GnG fan, SGnG is a necessary game to own because it isn't a port of an arcade title like the previous two, but its own game exclusive to the SNES (though I guess it got ported later in some compilation). The occasional slowdown sucks, but otherwise it is a fun game.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Seriously, the most difficult part of changing a cartridge battery is opening up the catridge in the first place. As long as you know basic soldering skills, it's an easy enough task. Weird thing is, I only ever had to change the batteries out of carts two or three times thereabouts, while the rest are still plugging away. Waiting for the day I'll have to mass replace batteries.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

fatpat268 posted:

What's difficult about having the correct screwbit? They're dirt cheap and can be bought for less than $5.

It's not difficult, that's the point I was kind of making. I wasn't being literal about that statement. I was basically saying it is super easy to change out the battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Every time I hear about the Gamecube component cables being ridiculously expensive, I just look at my unused Gamecube component cable that I ordered from Nintendo's online store back when they stocked them and wonder if it'll be worth it to use that potential money towards something else. And then I say "naw" and let it stay in storage until the day I finally decide to use it again. Last time I used it was right before I replaced it with a Wii during its launch.

• Locked thread