Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I just love the fact they're doing a Dreamcast version. Dreamcast, never dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Pinguliten posted:

Assault suit Leynos 2.
This game looks really neat. The Saturn got some interesting games. It honestly kind of reminds me of Front Mission: Gun Hazard. Then there's Assault Suits Valken 2 which looks kind of like a Front Mission SRPG.

I basically love mecha games.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

HKR posted:

Too bad PE2 is such a horrible game though :v:
PE2 is actually really fun and a decent Resident Evil RPG-lite clone. :nyd:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

You can probably get a Gamecube compatable Wii + Wii HD cable for the same price as a Gamecube HD cable.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The blue Dreamcast is so much more aesthetically pleasing than its counterpart.

Are Dreamcasts easy to make region free? Or can you just use a boot disc? Or maybe I should just take the lid off a PAL one and put it on a NTSC.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Full color magazine pages of nothing but game screens in stuff like GamePro/Tips & Tricks and the best one - Nintendo Power. The golden age of gaming magazines.

Pretty sure I mostly read the RPG Vault and Coming Soon sections of GamePro as a kid. They even had a graphical representation of how complete a game was! I wondered how they came up with that.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

zenintrude posted:

I irrationally want to enjoy Saga Frontier, but the game keeps pushing me away... am I dumb to want to like it?
Not at all. It really is a fun, unique game once you get through the confusing/arbitrary/nonsensical barrier of entry. Once you figure out how it works, it plays great.

Although part of 'figuring out how it works' is accepting RNG.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Zenitrude is glowing red about now. Post more and make him glow faster.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The hand drawn burning dollar bill is what sells the entire package.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I had a ton of fun playing Mission Impossible back in the day. I should pick it up with an N64 sometime.

Was the PS1 version the same game?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Yup, this certainly is amazing:

http://imgur.com/a/2GujB

Now someone make me one of the inside Airship of FFVI.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Obeast posted:

I dunno if the Nintendo Power cancelled thread is still up, but the final issue's cover has been leaked.

I guess it's not too surprising they did this, but it's still an awesome send-off to something most of us retro game enthusiasts have in common. :unsmith:

VVV I didn't notice it until now. That's such an awesome little touch.
Claymation palette swapped Mario is adorable.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Also, what's the deal with Flintstones, the NES game? This one isn't even in the box. $1400! 20 bids! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flintstones-The-Surprise-at-Dinosaur-Peak-Nintendo-NES-/121029387931?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item1c2de9e69b

It's only a little better at Amazon. $800-$1000 for used copies. http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00004SVPQ/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Anybody here get Flintstones from their Santee?
It was a rental only game. To have the box and everything is pretty great.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Hopefully someone will just make a PS2 to N64 adapter and we'll never have to use those bad controllers again.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

OSI bean dip posted:

Still looking for a reasonable price on a N64. :(
I've been looking for a reasonable price on a Dreamcast for a while. All I need is the console and hookups, but everyone sells it mostly in a bundle of junk.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

$40 is the average price people sell it for with controller, VMU, and usually a sports game.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Mill Village posted:

Found something good at my local Disc Replay for once.

They also had some Super Nintendos in this time, but they very yellow. :negative:
People go crazy over Persona, but I thought DDS was superior in nearly every way. Nocturne too.

A good find :)

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Seeing all of the Santa images warms my scrooge heart :3:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Jibo posted:

For Christmas I got my brother a Dreamcast and some games I know he liked or will like. However, one of the games (Sword of the Berserk) came with video rental place stickers on the disc, which I'm trying to remove. One of them left a silver residue with the word "void" in it and the other left some adhesive. Is there a safe way to remove this crap? Here's what it looks like:

That's just awful.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Ambitious Spider posted:

Is Evolution the dreamcast rpg everyone hated at the time because they didn't get that it was actually a roguelike? Or am I thinking of something else?
Do you mean Time Stalkers?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

sandpiper posted:

How many times do eBay sellers basically ship your poo poo to an alt address just because they don't want to use the address you gave them? I guess they really hate Hawaii. Whatever, at least I contacted a friend who forwarded them to me from there.

Thanks to eBay I won these for like six dollars apiece (and they're in brand new condition, sealed and all) and from the same seller so the shipping was a pittance.

Ever since I started playing as the BD-1 in Gundam vs Gundam EX VS I've taken an interest in the Blue Destiny, so I picked these up.
Oh.. oh my. I want all of those. Are they any good? :ohdear:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

sandpiper posted:

They're actually pretty good. The main reason I bought them is that's it's the Blue Destiny story but there are a couple gundam-related games better than it.

Also Norio Wakamoto.

If you really want to know how it plays:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trRKYgs1UJI&t=78s
Yeah I looked them up on Youtube after you posted. I've played pretty much all the Gundam games except the PS1/Saturn library, so it's always interesting to see ones I missed out on.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Golden Axe III wasn't released to retail in the US, so there is no case or anything. The Japanese version has a case and all. And yeah, there was a point when Sega switched from hard plastic cases to cardboard sleeves.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Most of the Tiny Toons games are spectacular. I'd probably put the SNES one after Tiny Toons Adventures (NES) and Buster's Hidden Treasure though.

Don't get me started on how I like the Sports version too.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Someone alert zenintrude.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Re: Dreamcast VMUs

As someone who played a lot of PSO, this was the best thing known to man. An officially licensed 4x VMU:

There's a button on top you'd hit to switch slots.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The most important thing I guess I would say is to have some sort of incentive to keep people coming back. With offering repros and repair service, that's something out of the ordinary that other shops may not offer or can't offer. A lot (if not all) the retro/independent gaming shops that opened up around my area have all gone out of business within 6 months to a year.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

What's the inside of a multitap actually look like? Googling for disassembled pictures is getting me nowhere. Could it be feasible to rig up on your own?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

fatpat268 posted:

Survival Kids - You get thrown on an island and you're forced to survive. I haven't played much of this, but it's well regarded, and from the bit I have played, it's fun as well.

There's a lot of junk in the GB/GBC library, and to be truthful, there aren't that many great games that still hold up today.
Can't believe I got beat on a Survival Kids recommendation. I played that game forever.

The James Bond 007 gameboy game is a pretty neat Zelda clone.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Obeast posted:

I promise this is the last thrift store find post from me for now, but I stopped by this church-ran store in my town that seemed never have retro games before today that had a number of Genesis games and got this for $2.50.

It's not totally complete since (from what I've seen on eBay listings) it's supposed to come with some extras like a map, and the case and manual have some damage to them. But, the cart itself is in really great condition almost like it was barely played.
Actually my favorite version of the game.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

zenintrude posted:

Apologies for the double post, but this needs to be seen:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121062811693
I really love the packaging/art work for the Square millennium collection.

FFT came with a pack of playing cards and a clock. Xenogears had an Elly figure. Front Mission 3 has little Wanzer keychains, Saga Frontier II had a teacup/saucer/t-shirt. Oddly enough.

Harlock fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 7, 2013

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Custom modded ones:

I have to say that second one looks sharp.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Don't forget Super Mario Land 2: Six Gold Coins

Probably my favorite handheld Mario game.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

midge posted:

Awesome score on the boxed Final Fight, looks like it's in good condition. You must have pissed your pants!
One stop shopping!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Hammond Edgar posted:

CIB Marusa no onna, Star Wars, Super Xevious, and Binary Land; and a loose Rockman 5.
Gotta say, I'm loving those tiny plastic Namco boxes. Really wish they were standard for all Famicom games.
Those Namco boxes are beautiful.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I rented the hell out of Chrono Trigger when I was younger, probably spent enough allowance on it to actually buy it.

Until that is my parents bought it for me on Xmas :3:

My other rental story is when I played FFVI a ton and didn't even know there was a second world after the floating continent. I spent so long trying to beat just that it blew my mind. Also the fact that someone had a glitched save on one of the save files during the Locke/Figaro scenario. I picked up one of those hidden items like a potion or whatever and it gave me 99 of everything.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

zenintrude posted:

Starting from the beginning every time?? :ohdear:
Some kind soul(s) never deleted my file. The game was near impossible to rent sometimes too at Blockbuster.

My tiny little rinky dink town was lucky enough to have two independent video stores, but nobody carried the good SNES stuff. NES/PS1 was heaven though.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

kynikos posted:

Apparently Tenso has a new service, Buyee, that you can use to buy stuff on Yahoo! Japan Auctions (basically Japanese eBay). I haven't tested it yet myself but it seems to be pretty straightforward.
Yahoo's Japan Auctions has stuff from dirt cheap time to time that I always hated missing out on since I wasn't a Japanese resident to buy.

Buyee will receive the product you win then ship it internationally?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Japanese Saturn games are so dirt cheap :negative:

That is hard to resist and I don't even own a Saturn or can read Japanese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I played Vipers 2 and Megamix (or some version of it?) on Dreamcast and loved them. AM2/Sega had some interesting fighting games.

• Locked thread