Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

Finally got through the backlog of posts in the new thread. Nice work on the OP RGBurgler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

HKR posted:

VC/emulation just isn't good enough for this thread

I actually disagree with this personally, but don't really bring it up here because of the anti-emulation sentiment. For my needs and I would argue most people's needs, 16-bit and prior eras are effectively solved problems. I'm a technocrat. :shrug:

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

HKR, that's a pretty badass haul. I like the way you bought all of the Guilty Gear incremental releases. But I see CvS1, but not CvS2. Did I miss it? If not, it's a criminal oversight. At least they play substantially differently than the Guilty Gears which are more or less obsoleted by each successive version.

Also, is that first item... a fuckin' Pocket Station?! That is simultaneously cool and not cool at all. Do you have Ridge Racer 4 and FF8? They are the only two US games I can think of off the top of my head to support the Pocket Station. What a silly accessory for $35 2000 dollars and now, they only cost $.50.

The new thread seems to be moving pretty fast with the holidays/SS. I declared Retrothread bankruptcy and skipped about 10 pages.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

I'm thankful for hanging out in this thread with all you peeps. Serious retro post. Happy Thanksgiving to all you US folks.

For the benefit of non-Americans, thanksgiving is when you had to go over to a relative's house and play mirror universe games you only played once a year. Like how I would go play up to level 3 on Zelda because I never had enough time or skill to play further. Next year, I'd start again because my file would be deleted probably the next day.

Post your weird Thanksgiving retro games memories ITT while you are waiting for your secret Santa stuff to show up.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

I was going to straight-up suggest getting a PS2 and component cables. What exactly was it about the PS1 emulation that you didn't like? I like it a ton - especially over component with the smoothing on.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

^^^
Were you connecting them both over the same physical video format? A PS1 hooked up over composite is going to look "smoother" thanks to the NTSC artifacting and bad color separation compared to say, a PS2 hooked up over SVIDEO or anything else. Also, anything that helps to increase color separation and decrease NTSC problems is indeed going to make the PS1 games look super jagged. Because that's how they look.

zenintrude posted:

So it did, my mind is going...

I'm the RFU DC output that nobody ever ever ever used.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

Code Jockey posted:

The hell you even connect to that, anyway?

I spent a few minutes looking it up. It looks like it's a "Sony standard" DC output to some kind of "Sony standard" RF adapter.

Edit: Re MM's shopping cart. Is $13 really fair market for Zelda 1 NES? Ugh.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

Kilazar posted:

I'm not going the ps3 route. I don't even play my xbox360 these days. Plus cost of entry is just too steep for me. Not going to plop 250 to play some old games. If I'm going to do that, the 250 is going to my CIB copy of chrono trigger that I want in my collection. And even that will probably never happen lol.

Back when I was testing, I tried all of available options. I could have just had a bad ps/2 since no one else here seems to notice it. Sometime this week, when I get a chance, I'll hook my ps/2 up to my sd tv with FF9. See if it looks ok or not. I have not tested my current ps/2 since getting it.

Even on an SDTV, if you hook up a PS2 over component cables (I used to do this on my old non-progressive SDTV) and don't think it looks crazy better than composite something is straight up wrong. It could be the cables are shorted, it could be you don't have the TV or PS2 set up correctly (check it's set to YPbBr not RGB - not many monitors actually have RGB), it could be several things. It could be your component port is physically broken on your TV.

But if everything is correctly configured and you still prefer a composite connection over SVideo or component, then there is something wrong with your eyes! :stare:

Yes, you will notice the aliased edges on polygons and serious texture warping due to the PS1 not having hardware transform, but those were all in the original games. It was just harder to make out these problems in fidelity because consumer video displays of the time were pretty much garbage.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

There was a booth that was selling this kind of thing at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo. Small ones were $40+. I can't imagine what they would have charged for one on this scale. That's really neat.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

Panic Restaurant posted:

I thought I did, but it's entirely possible I'm stupid and did not. Based on another post, I'm pretty sure I had it set to RGB and not that Ypr thing. Time to try again! :v:

Yeah, I'm kind of the YPbPr guy in this thread. You only care about it semantically until after you have been screwed by the difference between RGB and YPbPr both being correctly described as "component".

RadicalR posted:

Preordered this already. I like the color red and it's a top loader. Good enough for me.

</derail>

It's the shameful Wii. Did you notice it has no Game Cube compatibility and no Online/WiFi/Networking? So no virtual console and no Metroid Prime. Oh, no GC Ikaruga either. :eng99:

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

Kreeblah posted:

FPGA stands for Fully Programmable Gate Array. Basically, it's a set of logic components that can be programmed to link together however you want. This lets somebody, for instance, design a CPU in a hardware description language, push it to an FPGA, and then run code on it (I've done this).

If you've done this you should tell people that it actually stands for "field-programmable gate array". :eng101:

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

The best thing I ever learned about a multimeter is the "continuity" check thing it has on it. The digital audio mod for the SNES is incredibly difficult, partially due to the soldering points being so ridiculously tiny and close to one another. I just followed the pin using the trace to one of those little holes (whatever those are called) and used a multimeter to make sure I was soldering it to the right place.

Those little holes are called "vias" as in they move signals between the different layers of the board via the holes. PTH are another technically correct way to describe them as vias are almost always plated through holes. In expensive high-end multi-layer PCBs with certain mechanical requirements (like hermetic seals), sometimes you'll have blind vias which don't penetrate all the way through the board, but those are uncommon on most consumer goods.

brian posted:

Man I can't wait for my arcade cabinet to get here, I keep buying far too many arcade boards while it's getting its monitor chassis refurbished :(

Also got a 3rd Strike board and a 161-in-1 bootleg cart for the MVS, seriously considering getting a NAOMI setup too :(

Oh man, Third Strike is totally my favorite Street Fighter. One can easily argue that it's The Best street fighter too! I know I'm a bit of a rarity in this thread for liking remakes and not really caring about original hardware too much, but the Online Edition of Third Strike on PS3/360 is super fantastic if you're looking to play the game. I played really frequently about a year ago and now I go in every other month or so for an evening to get absolutely wrecked by the only people who play Third Strike: the Japanese and crazy hard-core American fighting fans that I can barely stand a chance against. In summary, Oro supremacy!

Speaking of cabinets, anyone have any suggestions on how to go about purchasing an inexpensive cabinet? Ideally I'm looking for a two-player Astro City form factor that I'll be using to house consoles. So I'll be replacing the monitor, controls etc so I really just care about the cabinet itself.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

Technowrite posted:

I'm in Texas this week for work, so I got a chance to drop in a local Game X Change. Prices were pretty good, and I'm excited I walked out with all this for $24.

Man, Bloodlines alone was worth that. Nice going! A loose copy of Bloodlines for less than $20 is my white whale.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

Panic Restaurant posted:

Also if anyone noticed my fumbling with my PS2's component setup a few pages back, the settings on my TV were all kinds of wrong and now it looks just fine. :cripes:

Glad to hear it. I was pretty sure that something was "wrong" even if it meant something was physically broken. The stuff you were describing didn't make sense. Enjoy your superior color separation and progressive scanning Ratchet and Clank games. Oh, SSX3 has progressive too. And Soul Calibur 3 (but i'm a fighting game nerd and SC3 has been totally obsoleted for any number of reasons).

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

Code Jockey posted:

Yeah I really really liked FF7's background scenery too. It was a really awesome setting.

Still gotta put 6 above it though. Just so intricately detailed at times and atmospheric.

Chrono Trigger is amazing too, and I'm not sure which one I'd consider "better".

That's an easy thing to objectively compare. I mean, I'm sure every poster in this thread will all agree that Crystal Pepsi was way better than New Coke. :can:

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

Fluffdaddy posted:

Chrono Cross has the hands down best soundtrack to ever come out of Square.

Yasunori Mitsuda's soundtracks are some my favorites too. More recently he contributed to Kid Icarus Uprising (as part of a dream team which also included Yuzo Koshiro of Streets of Rage fame (Who more recently has been doing Etrian Odyssey)). The game itself received mixed reviews for the gameplay, but was universally praised for its soundtrack.

Mitsuda also has a pretty :3: twitter account. He got a kitten a few years ago and he tweets pictures of him sitting on his lap at the keyboard.

Sources cited!

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

techknight posted:

Also I think that Zelda 1 was fine when released, but is crap now because of discoverability. You can't make progress using only in-game resources without randomly bombing all the squares, so I don't think it's right to keep praising it. Same deal with Metroid 1 and 2 not having a map feature.

This is a well thought out post that acknowledges the importance of Zelda (And Metroid) in historical context. It also points out that there have been demonstrable advances in the science of game design.

cosmicjim posted:

Doesn't sound like valid excuses to me.
Just say, "we don't have the patience."

This is victim blame.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

The Joe Man posted:

Speaking of which, I plan on building an emulation box in the somewhat near/middling future. NES, SNES, SMS, SG, SCD, S32X...any other good systems to add? I'd lump in N64 but the only controllers I plan on buying are 2 of these when the price drops again: http://www.madcatz.com/sfxtekken/fightpads.html

Plan on it being a Win7 box that can double as a decent desktop using a TV (HDMI) as display output. How much is too much in terms of hardware? It's not for me and she won't be playing new games on it but if I'm going to build it, I might as well make it last. Need help figuring out where the overkill point is though.

EDIT: Also planning on using it to stream movies from the HD. Nice quality but not BlueRay. Don't want it to stutter.

This is almost spot on to what you're looking for.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

ACID POLICE posted:

HKR you piece of poo poo I had that Lunar Saturn game in my cart and then it was sold out.

We've reached peak video games and the locals are turning on one another. I guess we had a good run.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

Robolizard! posted:

composite. upgrade from composite.

OK team, listen up. Here is your official C-named video format mnemonic. No more confusion after this post!

"If it seems like poo poo, it's composite. / If you want to bone it, it's component."

Everyone got that? Good!

Stay tuned next time for a rude limerick about S-video and how RGB and YPbPr aren't the same thing.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

The Fixit Felix Jr. machine is cool. I love how they put the effort into making it distressed and aged. I watched a documentary of how Disney made props for their rides and how they made them look old. They have two art teams and they each make stuff as it would have looked brand new. They then swap all the props and bash them in, break them, hit them with sand blasters and leave them out in the rain and sun. The reason they have two art teams is so you don't have to distress your own work, because it's bad for morale and it doesn't end up getting good results.

StellarX posted:

$15 haul from a local yard sale.

They were absolutely filthy, but after cleaning them up, all work great!

Yeah, that's a great find. Nice job. Now you'll have enough :retrogames: to go and get pretty much the rest of them.

"Every Super Nintendo game for $25k"

e: For additional context, this is Byuu's reference collection that he was using for BSNES development.

Antillese fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 10, 2012

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

Fluffdaddy posted:

You might wanna cross reference the going price on Odyssey 2 stuff on Ebay before throwing it up for 100 bucks...

My aunt gave us an Odyssey 2 circa '86. It sucked, and 6-year-old me knew it sucked too.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

HKR posted:

Hey I'm somewhat finished with this project:

Dreamcast arcade stick modded to universal arcade stick.

Stick uses a Toodles Cthulhu Multi-Console PCB, wired to an ethernet jack. I'm in the process of creating a ton of console to ethernet cords to plug into it. I also have a DB15 port wired up for supergun/neo-geo.

I originally wanted to keep the original DC board in there and wire it up along with the Cthulhu, but with having to dual wire everything to the DB15 port already and the tightness of the case meant I eventually had to ditch the idea. The Cthulhu supports Dreamcast, just not the VMU.

I need to get better tools and stop doing work like that while drinking.

Eventually I'm replacing the top frame with some custom art work. I plan on modeling it after an Astro City control panel.

Nice work. I'm thinking of doing that myself. Looks like I'd want to add the Imp board too since I primarily play on 360 and I'd be modding MadCatz SE PCBs.

I don't think I "get" the RJ45 thing. What's the deal with that? Is it just a universal harness termination jack that translates it back to the board that you can easily reterminate other console proprietary connectors to?

Hey, what's your plan for Astro City? I'd love to get a cabinet of that form and I don't know what to do to start. My objective is to basically "consolize" it and use it with consoles instead of arcade boards, while retaining the stick panels and a Cthulhu board to talk to the 360/PS2/3 etc. Where does one buy a specialty cabinet like that?

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

You're going to need a cat to chew through all your crap and distract you when you're trying to time a difficult jump. That's funny. :3:

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

The art and science of video game cartography was significantly advanced and refined in the pages of Nintendo Power. I had a few of their maps books and I didn't even own an NES as a kid. I was especially partial to the big SMB2 one.

look for that liiiitle Mario about the width of every screen or so.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

Code Jockey posted:

Willing to trade for a copy of Shaq-Fu? :v: It's this Christmas's hot item!

It's always 1994 in the Retro thread!

No thanks. I'd prefer Sonic & Knuckles, Earthworm Jim, Metroid 3... or the real killer video game gift of 1994: the 32X!

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

Ambitious Spider posted:

So my genesis 2 a/v cables don't fit my genesis 1.

:argh:

No, Mini-DIN-9 is not compatible with Mini-DIN-8. Just go buy one. The 9-pin was used on the 2/3 Genesis models and I think 32X.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

You...might have solved my lengthy problem with my Sega setup. I had my Genesis wasting 2 SCART ports on my switch because the 32x will not play Sega Master System games. So if I want to play Sega Master System, I have to take out the 32x, which is no good because then the drat thing need a totally different A/V port. I did not know they were generic connections, though (Mini DIN 9 is a new term for me). Now to see if there's a dongle or switch or something to convert mini DIN 8 and mini DIN 9!

No, because the pinout is different and don't map pin-to-pin. That's intentional. Here's the reference.

I mean, I guess you could get a 9-wire cable, and the 8 and 9 pin mini plugs and manufacture your own convertor cable, but... just don't do that. It's really not worth the time or trouble.

Just get a Genesis 2, mod the audio amps on the motherboard if you really think you can hear the clipping (you probably can't) and use that for everything.

e: Actually you might want to add
http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts
to the OP if it's not there already. I've used it a bunch.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

... and Capcom vs. SNK 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2QHpL-LphM

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

Mercury Crusader posted:

Capcom vs. SNK was only on the Dreamcast. Capcom vs. SNK Pro, an updated version of the game, was on the Dreamcast and Playstation 1, though I believe the Dreamcast version of that game never made it to the states, and the Playstation version was garbage.

CvS1 absolutely was released in the US on the Dreamcast. It was too early in the PS2's life though so it wasn't released on the superior Emotion Engine technology. Instead, it was down-ported to PS1 as CvS:Pro where they added new features like, Dan, Morrigan, missing animation frames and terrible horrible loading times. It's terrible.

CvS2 was released on PS2 late in 2001 and if it was released on vinyl, I would have worn a hole through the DVD.

I agree that SNK v Capcom Chaos isn't very good.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Hey...

I'm in the middle of playing Xenogears right now and I rather like it.

(Even if I didn't realize I wasn't learning combos until 10 hours in...)

Man, that game. I plowed through it in 1998 and never again. All of the flaws you've heard about it are true. The pacing is terrible and the story is sometimes :wtc:. At other times the story ends like this: :ins:. That's where they just kind of closed the text editor they were writing in. On the other hand, Mitsuda's score is really good, and the art direction is cohesive and strong. It's quite a good looking game for it's era.

All that being said, it sure is something that was made by people who cared about what they were trying to do instead of just optimizing marketability. Like FF8. Yeah. I went there. FF8 sucks.

My bad. I don't play the game and simply heard firsthand from a friend that he needed to be online to play 1 player mode.

That is correct. You do need to be online to play Diablo III. And personally, the complaining about it mostly comes from pirates or edge cases. I think it's a lot of fun... if you are playing hardcore mode! :black101:

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Hey watch how you talk about the self-proclaimed 'greatest role-playing adventure on the PC'!

I had an ATI Rage Pro Turbo 2X. I hated it.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

Portland has the Powell's Books chain which carries a really nice mix of new and used books. In the suburbs, one is located next to a Game Trader which is kinda skeezy. Here's my trip (to Game Trader) report.
  • I browsed the Genesis carts and considered getting Cool Spot in Hollywood but put it back on the shelf.
  • Woah, there's a sealed copy of Einhander that's priced at $99.99. That's pretty skeezy!
  • Oh, that's not nearly as bad as their NES carts. No thanks, I will pass on the loose copy of Airwolf for $5. I certainly don't want to pay $7 for Ten Yard Fight.
  • They didn't have a copy of Castlevania: Bloodlines behind the counter, but I was quoted a totally reasonable non-skeezy $17 price for when they do get one. I'll probably call back from time to time.
  • They didn't have any copies of Ape Escape 2 and 3 either.
  • Or Persona 3 or 4.
  • Man, I didn't even play the Third Strike machine they've got because I didn't want to break the $20 I had in my wallet to get a quarter.
I probably shouldn't be posting in this thread anymore huh?

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

Kramdar posted:

I spent less than five minutes in that store back in 2008. It looked like a hoarding nightmare, and that's based solely on the display window out front. And once inside I remember just seeing display cases being jammed full of crappy NES games. It's one of the saddest looking used game stores I'd been in. I'd rather dig through the bins at that 'by the pound' Goodwill that's not too far from there.

The Game Trader's window display is a literal hardware graveyard. They have a cardboard backing behind it and when another Saturn dies or an SNES pad can't be resurrected, it gets chucked over the wall. What I'm saying is that it hasn't changed in 5 years. Hell, I remember going over there in high school with a friend to buy FF Tactics brand new and it was basically the same shop then.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

Caitlin posted:

A. Nobody confirmed that it absolutely will never be announced yet
B. There's a whole thread for that goddamn tweet
C. I just don't care anymore. :sigh: Earthbound discussion is endless rehashed debates.

If you want to make a motion to ban Earthbound release chat in the Retro Thread similar to how the fighting games thread has a No-Smash rule, I'll second it.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

But Earthbound is the yard stick by which we measure absurd game prices! What will we use if we can't talk about it? Panzer Dragoon?

No, Panzer Dragoon Saga.

So how about that Wii U Wind Waker re-release? I think it looks fantastic!

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

The new Wind Waker is likely physical. It's going to be out by "fall".

They are also releasing Metroid 3 for $0.30 on the Wii U virtual console as a launch promotion. Playing Metroid 3 would be a pretty good excuse to spend $300 I guess.

Caitlin posted:

To address all of this, I don't really mind discussing ridiculous prices on it or whether or not people should play it or anything, but yeah the endless discussion about the potential maybe maybe not re-release that may or may not ever happen and all the hypotheticals about it can stop please and thank you! At least I know I'm not alone in being exhausted by this discussion!

But Caitlin, all Nintendo would have to do is ... :words:.

You know what? I'm going to risk getting reported over it. Pirate the drat thing. Problem solved. :filez:

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

^^^^
Edit: Both of those are valid answers. As is Prime 1.

-----

From the title screen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chh6RAjGohw

(Nintendo)

NINTENDO

PRESENTS

METROID 3

Super Metroid™
©1994 Nintendo

"Super Metroid" is the sub-title. :colbert:

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

Doug Dinsdale posted:

Nobody has any clue as to how simple supply and demand works. Re: Pro athletes salaries.

False dichotomy. Pro athlete salaries are actually lower than what they should be overall due to collective bargaining and legal exemptions from anti-trust regulations afforded to the major sports leagues. At least in the US. In Europe it's another matter entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

Protip: Get a model 2, don't worry about it and go play a drat video game!

• Locked thread