Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I've really, really enjoyed Far Cry 2 since buying it this summer, warts and all. I'm mostly mad at Ubi for locking down any kind of modding, because if there is anything that Morrowind, Thief, or the Arma series can tell us, it's that modding is what gives a great game some serious legs. Sure, the first several mods would turn off malaria and guns breaking and anything else that prevents FC2 from being anything more than a bog standard shooter. But then there would be mods that bring in a rusty kind of co-op, introduce dozens of different missions, a faction system that matters, whole new land masses, who knows what else.

Big opportunity missed, just so they could keep pirates at bay. Good job there Ubi.

The few posts mentioning the game editor made me curious, and the simplicity and power behind this thing is stunning. I think I played with it for all of an hour tonight and I had learned it and created detailed desert, swamp, island, and jungle maps. It reminds me of Joint Ops, the way you can just drop structures and flora down anywhere, set the weather, and completely alter the whole business with the twiddling of a few knobs. (Except NILE was a pain in the rear end to use.) Why does Arma have all the armor and AI scripting, and this engine have all the smooth, visceral action and awesome visuals?

And there's another thing that would have been available with a game more open to modding: multiplayer game modes other than deathmatch and CTF. Why can't you drop AI bots in this damned thing? Why can't I assault a heavily armed fortress with my friends? All this power, and all we get is deathmatch and CTF multi.

Far Cry 2 is worse than a bad game, it was a good game that could have been great, maybe even a great game that could have been transcendent.

e: back on topic: I hope FC3 has modding support and that the main game is super nifty. I don't like the always-visible map/compass thing already, I can tell you that. Doesn't anyone like getting lost in video games anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

gibbed posted:

You're wrong. Modding was not locked down at all (if you're meaning they actively developed the engine to prevent modding). I didn't make my breakthrough until several years after its release, but that's unrelated.
Built-in support for modding in Far Cry 3? Not going to happen. Now, that's not going to stop me. :)

I fully and gladly accept being wrong if you're right. But my understanding was that the game assets were all scrambled and that it's impossible to add to the base game in any way. The only mods I have been able to find do this: unpack some of those game assets, among which are bits and pieces of scattered and scrambled files, editing a single configuration XML file, and zipping the whole mess back up, never really sure what you're leaving behind.

I accuse them of packing the game itself so that it can't be modded, the engine, I have no idea. Please share what I'm missing! Can I storm an AI-packed fortress with my friends?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm content to wait a bit, because those minor niggles that RPS skates over would bug the heck outta me. I am hoping for more robust modding and fanmade addon breakthrus for FC3. Besides, I am still enjoying Far Cry 2, malaria and all. And this map editor is addictive, reminds me of this world generator I used to mess with a bunch of years ago.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

im a girl btw posted:

Does it auto paint targets when you aim at them through a scope? It looks like it does, I don't like that but it's not that big a deal.

Yeah, I don't care for that either. I'm starting to hope for an "I am not a 10 year old playing this on an XBox" mode.

e: Although this feature might itself be a concession for game pad players, sort of like Z-targeting in Zelda 64 (god I'm old and out of date on video games).

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 22, 2012

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

XenoCrab posted:

So it sounds like the map editor will have a "Single Player Sandbox mode" that lets you spawn vehicles/wildlife/AI in your maps to play around with. This is awesome since it's the exact feature I wished was in the FC2 editor. Thanks for reading my mind Ubisoft!

http://far-cry.ubi.com/fc-portal/en-us/community/detail_news.aspx?c%3Dtcm%3A19-74054%26ct%3Dtcm%3A6-231-32
This is fantastic news and is just the infinite masturbatory sandbox that I am missing from FC2. Though in a way this sort of hits that AI might still not be available in multi (aside from the canned campaigns).

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Profanity posted:

It's not - you can't validate a map for MP if it has AI elements or vehicles in it.
I'm not surprised. Far Cry as a series always seems to do wonderful things, and then just leave out that crucial 5% of perfection. I had visions of the FC2 wilderness generator and editor, being able to sculpt a map with coop objectives, and coming up with fresh new maps every week for my yokel friends who shun any kind of pvp.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Pwnstar posted:

You can pre-order it on Steam though, what's the deal with that? *steps back as Kramer bursts through the door*
* is stabbed by Kramer and thrown out the window, 3xp *

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Gunder posted:

To be honest, the repetitiveness of Far Cry 2 was fully apparent by about an hour or two in.

I'm Far Cry 2's greatest defender, and yet this is still completely true. I've taken to make up goofy challenges as I go to spice it up, but frankly, it's like one of those mechanical bands you used to see at Chuck E Cheese. You lift up the fur and it's just a bunch of simple gears and skeletal poles moving around. Nowhere is this more obvious than in the convoy missions.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Bilal posted:

Don't forget that after you did all of the optional buddy objectives to get the safehouse upgrades, the game resets all of your upgrades once you hit the 50% completion mark :suicide:

You mean the buddy safe house upgrades, right? Because weapons upgrades remain. This is kind of aggravating I guess, even if it makes some kind of sense (not spoiling it by saying how). It would make yet more sense if there was a sensible reason why you magically get those upgrades in the first place. I can't help but feel having a functioning economy was at one time a bullet point in the design for Far Cry 2, because little vestigial bits of it remain. Maybe not quite "Space Rangers in Africa and with Guns," but something a bit more involving than what we ended up with.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm playing FC2 for the first time at the highest difficulty on the PC. I'm not a pro player, I get routinely stomped on Counter Strike and their ilk. I'm not really finding enemies to be sponges. A good burst tends to bring them down or cause them to change their minds about attacking. Silenced weapons, on the other hand, only seem to really work when you're undetected, which, when combined with an unsatisfying stealth system, is pretty annoying.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

GUI posted:

The female mercenaries were going to be selectable at one point, but like everything else in Far Cry 2 they couldn't add them in due to time constraints.

All they would have had to do is model a different set of arms and a few grunts.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Well I just watched the TotalHalibut preview and the game looks pretty good! You can chalk me up as one of those weirdos who are really hoping for a more hardcore survival mode in the future, though. Also, no matter where I see it, no matter how much it supposedly fits the setting, 'crafting' always looks contrived and gamey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Boondock Saint posted:

Calm down.

If the AI code wasn't the problem then something else certainly was. Instead of each faction having a specific FRIEND/FOE type system going on, they were all hostile, all the time. Even when the faction leaders told you that you were cool with them and on their side, their faction soldiers would still shoot at you. That's lovely no matter how you put it.

Sweet! I guess I'll be grabbing this for Christmas then.

It's also very lazy design. This contrivance was also a decision that was apparently made early enough to get all the voice work for each mission set up to support it.

And since we're also airing every little thing we dislike about the series, one thing I kind of liked about Far Cry 2 was being able to select from a variety of characters from different races and countries (though not different sexes). In 3, it looks like you're a generic white guy who gets some sick tats on his arm.

As Greg Proops once said, "The problem with baseball is that all the players are named 'Justin.'"

The problem with video games is that there are far too many main characters named "Jason Brody."

• Locked thread