Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I am done with progression based multiplayer. I don't even factor it into my buying decisions anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Even though the (pre-embargo) reviews are great I'm not sure that I totally buy into this. The last thing I want to play is a game that's soaked in a celebration of sick depravity; if there's one thing that I've learned over the last year it's that game reviewers are mostly idiots who can't tell when they're being pandered to. I don't trust their judgement at all.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Yeah the Rock, Paper, Shotgun guys are utter plebs.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun said almost nothing about the story - about half a paragraph that brushes it off as "nonsense pulp fiction" before grudgingly admitting that they were curious to see how it developed. Nothing doing, there.

The gameplay is not an issue. I know that setting a tiger loose on an outpost is going to be delightful fun. The game's description as a sort of Skyrim Island really intrigues me. I simply don't want to spend 30 hours in a world peopled by nothing but nasty characters. I don't want a game that slathers degeneracy all over me whenever I choose to 'come in from the sandbox' and engage the main plot. Honestly, I get that vibe from the trailers and some of the reviews. That's my concern.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Leb posted:

So after gruesomely killing literally thousands of islanders and countless scores of endangered animals in the sandbox, you're hoping that the story missions are a nuanced exploration of the human condition?

Did I say this at all? Does it give you a great big thrill to interpret what I'm saying in the silliest, most trite way possible?

Go on and look at that box art, and then tell me my concerns don't have any merit. Go on.

Edit: I actually enjoyed Far Cry 2's story a lot because it was mostly ambiance. It got out of the way very quickly and let you goof off. It's the fact that the developers of this game have stated several times that they're trying to make this a Game About Madness that has me worried. Game developers are usually pretty lovely writers so when they go for the Big Ideas it tends to be a clusterfuck.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 21, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Once Gibbed mods in a grapple gun + parachute mod it's going to be first-person Just Cause 2.

That's going to be an interesting day.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Most reviews mention that the different gameplay elements all dovetail very nicely. So the hunting stuff gets you crafting components, which lets you make a bigger holster, so you can carry some additional grenades, which makes clearing an outpost of pirates easier, which means you can fast travel to different parts of the island quicker, which means you have better access to different kinds of wildlife and plants at a moment's notice, which means it's easier to do crafting recipes, which lets you craft a new kind of arrow...you get the point.

The problem with Assassin's Creed is that all of the systems were clearly developed by different teams in different silos, so none of them really reacted well with each other. The naval stuff was great, but it was off in it's own box and didn't really effect anything. The economy stuff didn't matter a whit because it only concerned itself with making money, and money didn't matter because it only purchased weapons, and weapons didn't matter because Connor's starting weapons were great and didn't need replacing (and if you wanted a decent sword for aesthetic reasons you could buy one without engaging in any crafting whatsoever). The crafting system was terrible, ill-documented, and only became fully functional at the very end of the game when it was far too late to matter. The fast travel system required the player to navigate a boring maze to unlock the fast travel points, negating any time that he/she would save using fast travel. The assassin recruits were mostly useless because combat was designed around not having them present and so they were most extemporaneous.

I wouldn't really worry about Far Cry 3 following the footsteps of Assassin's Creed. The thing about the Far Cry series is - despite any other missteps - the actual gunplay has always been very solid. Assassin's Creed has always struggled with actually being a fun game, while Far Cry 2 was a good game that was hampered by some very aggressive, polarizing design decisions but the critical consensus seems to be that Far Cry 3 is much less divisive and keeps most of the good things about Far Cry 2 while adding some much-needed variety and better subsystem integration. I'm honestly looking forward to this one, although I am waiting for reviewers from people I can trust (i.e. not the embargoed enthusiast press)

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 27, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Dan Didio posted:

Seriously, why does Jason turn into a quip-machine making constant references to video games during the bonus missions?

This is the most hilariously tone deaf game I've played in a long time.

Well he's a spoiled trust fund kid, I imagine he's played some video games.

But honestly it sounds ghastly. Still, keep posting your impressions, I'm enjoying reading them.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Adraeus posted:

What's with goons being so overly dramatic about everything? "Inexcusable! Ghastly! Waste of money! I'm not buying the game until hints can be disabled!"

When people criticize a game as they play it, they tend to mention only their criticism, and move on. This makes it seem a lot harsher than it normally is, because there's no context. Just "holy poo poo I loved this!" or "holy poo poo I hated this!". Let's just face it - for a person to stop playing a game and type a comment into a forum or chat room, something extreme has to happen. This is the nature of online gaming first impressions, and has been from the beginning.

Since I'm being specifically called out for using the word "ghastly", let me say 2 things: 1) You don't get to decide what words I can and can't use and chastize me for using ones you don't approve of, and 2) I think cracking video-game based jokes and quips in a game that opens with rape, sodomy, insanity, murder, and human trafficking is a pretty loving ghastly thing to do and that's not an overly dramatic use of the word at all.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Boondock Saint posted:

I think my biggest issue with Far Cry 2 was every mission was preempted with a briefing that was along the lines of "Even though you are working for us, it's a secret so our guys will shoot at you too!" which was basically just a throwaway line for lovely AI coding. Did they fix this at least?

You have no idea what you're talking about. It's bad design, but I can assure you: making the AI not interact with stuff is like THE DEFAULT. You realize that? All the AI work you do is to make them acknowledge things, NOT ignore them.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Watching those videos and reading a little more about the game, one thing that occurs to me is that they could have made Jason's transition into a GREAT WHITE WARRIOR be a little more subtle and fun.

Like have a chance for him to botch reloads at the beginning of the game and jam his weapon or drop the clip, have him occasionally mess up a take down and miss the lung or throat and have the guy scream bloody murder and attract attention, etc. Just make him a bit more of a schlub and force the player to buy off these disadvantages with XP.

Now I haven't played the game, so I freely admit that this may be the stupidest thing ever, but it was just a thought.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

You know what? I'm really excited to weigh this against Far Cry 2. I just got a video capture card and I might make a comparison video. Should be fun.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

But you guys were making it sound like every time you skin an animal, he has to stop and rethink what he's doing with his life. The way I've seen it so far, he's just kinda like "... gently caress!". I'm pretty sure if I was running around a jungle shooting and stabbing wild boars with my bare hands, after I skinned them, I'd take a breather and say "gently caress!" too.

Skinning animals is nasty as heck in reality. I had to dress a dear once with my uncle when I was 14 and I was pretty grossed out the whole time. Life finds a way...but it's also fuckin' disgusting!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I read that RPS article "things I hate about Far Cry 3" and while he made some good points, there's one thing that's painfully obvious:

The reason they only have 10 AI barks and some of the animals share sound effects is because this game open world sandbox game has to run on a console that may or may not have a hard drive and has less than 500 meg of RAM that was designed in late 2004.

I'm going to be glad when this generation of consoles is dead and buried because game developers are having to make really sour trade-offs to get their ambitious games running on this busted hardware. And I bought the Xbox version, for Pete's sake.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

This is a better game than Far Cry 2, but I'm not sure it's a better experience overall. A lot of the grim worldbuilding that made Far Cry 2 great got chopped for RPG-Lite busywork. I don't know - I'm still playing and processing the game.

The intrusive mission reminders have got to go. They are just horrible. I have a subwoofer and it sounds like Thor striking a huge drum every time one of them pops up...every 5 minutes or so.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

By the way, I just gotta say - walking through the jungle and hearing shots off in the distance, and following them to find some poor bastards being preyed on by the island's wildlife - is really really great stuff. I just wish that there was more going on after you cleared an outpost - maybe the occasional pirate patrol vs. Rakyat fight in the jungle, or some other way to get hostile human enemies back into the game. I know that most people didn't like the respawning checkpoints in Far Cry 2; there's some merit to that complaint, but I felt like they went too far in the other direction.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Morter posted:

Suddenly having respawning enemies doesn't seem like a bad idea, does it? :colbert:

I was never against it; the problem in Far Cry 2 was that many of the missions sent you through the same checkpoint multiple times and each time it would respawn a full compliment of guards. It occasionally felt like bailing water out of a sinking boat. The thing to do would have been to only occasionally respawn the checkpoints, and never respawn them during a mission. I think this would have been a lot more palatable, because combined with the gun degradation mechanic, it meant that occasionally you would wreck your guns just dealing with respawning guards.

Most of the things people hated about Far Cry 2 were things that I enjoyed because they made the setting feel like a desperate shithole you couldn't escape. Your guns broke down, no matter how many guards you killed everything stayed the same, and your "buddies" were shitball psychopaths who wanted you to steal medical supplies from relief agencies and sell them to the militias. The entire thing was desperate, grimy, and futile. You don't see a lot of games like that and I enjoyed it. On the other hand, I'll also admit that Far Cry 2 had A LOT of problems and totally lacked variety; with Far Cry 3 we got a great open-world shooter but it seems as though a lot of the setting and feel got lobotomized in the process. I would love to see a game that combined the nasty futility of Far Cry 2 with the game systems of Far Cry 3.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Does anyone know if there is an Achievement/trophy for beating the game on Warrior (hard) difficulty?

I'm asking because I've been playing through the game on Hard, but my savegames are showing Normal difficulty selected.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Soul Glo posted:

Also, it's a glitch. I think if you manually save, it moves the difficulty down.

Yeah. Bizarrely, if I actually load the game it's set on the correct difficulty. Oh well - it doesn't effect anything, and the only achievements I ordinarily give the slightest drat about are the tryhard "you did it, you beat the game on the hardest difficulty setting you dumb bastard" ones.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

This game isn't very challenging, is not as atmospheric as Far Cry 2, has a doofus for a main character and a laughable story that doesn't work at all. The crafting is gamey, the RPG elements are mostly unnecessary, the enemies are myopic and easily dispatched, and the economy is seven shades of hosed up.

Also, it's my favorite game of the year and I love it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

SheepNameKiller posted:

...but destined to go on to greater things than your typical $200,000 a year office job.

Between someone saying that traveling around the world with 5 of your friends is a fun and common thing for post college people to do, and now someone else describing a 200k office job as "typical", I'm wondering where y'all live. Because I want to move there.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, it's an uncomfortable element that has been a mainstay of European and American adventure fiction for hundreds of years, they were just copying an existing genre standard straight over. Like almost all video game stories do.

edit: you saw this exact story before in Avatar, if you watched that movie. Or John Carter.

Historical use of the lovely White Man's Burden does not excuse it.

Also, humans aren't space aliens.

Also, "video game stories are poo poo" isn't really a defense of this kind of behavior.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Far Cry 2 worked because the very first "buddy mission" was literally to go steal medical supplies from relief agencies. The game looked you directly in the eye, pointed out that you were a piece of poo poo and part of the problem, demonstrated that there were no heroes in this conflict, you were an opportunist, your "buddy" was an opportunist, and this nation was hosed - no chosen one was going to save the day. Now get out there and hunt the Jackal, dickhead.

I would actually love to see the series go back to Africa with these new gameplay options. But rather than the gamey, Great White Hunter crafting system, you have the choice to poach endangered species for shittons of money. You're not making anything; you're profiting from the destruction of the land. All of these improved systems without the typical "you're the greatest, Player One!" infantile bullshit would be great.

Let me reiterate: I really like Far Cry 3. I feel that the gameplay is great. But the narrative that the developers force on you is really, really terrible.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Robot Hobo posted:

I just finished Far Cry 3, and somehow I've got the idea stuck in my head that it was all a re-telling of the movie Hook.

*snip*

drat. I'm probably crazy.

That's actually a really fun reading of it, and I like it a lot.

But who is Dr. E, and why does Hoyt have both his hands?

Goddamn, gently caress the Alice in Wonderland references...I really like the idea of Far Cry 3 as a violent, cartoonish Peter Pan story. Peter Pan grows up by murdering people. The Lost Boys are all psycopaths. Jettison the stupid 'insanity' angle and play up the fact that this 'grand adventure' is a rich white kid running through the forest killing human beings to 'become' a man. Great stuff Robot Hobo.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Megazver posted:

The writer gave an interview to Penny Arcade Report, complaining that no one understood him.

Somebody needs to tell that guy that if no one understands the story he is trying to tell, he's a bad fuckin' writer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The problem is that in a game where a major mechanic is cutting leaves off plants and rolling (crushing?) them into a syringe which you then shoot into your arm and this somehow prevents you from catching on fire from a flamethrower blast; a game where you have a magic camera that lets you permanently track people through walls after they are viewed through it - these are mechanics that are already totally unhinged from reality and yet are played totally straight and "real". You, the person playing the game, have no idea what is a video game conceit and what is a developer-inserted "message".

Also, and I can't restate this enough, if you want to make a game about a dude fooling himself, BreakAtomo's suggestion of Peter Pan is a much more effective literary resource. Alice the character is not being "used" by anyone, and is not fooling herself at any point - she's having a dream. There's no real parallel between Alice and Jason, whereas Peter Pan is actively choosing to never grow up and confront the real world.

Lastly, the developer's assertion that the economic minigame in Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - where Ezio, an Italian man, buys Italian shops, run by Italians in Italy - as some sort of colonialism is just totally insipid and weak, weak, weak.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 19, 2012

• Locked thread