Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

I don't get the hate for FC2, I loved it. I didn't mind respawning checkpoints, if they didn't respawn then driving across the map would have been a lot less interesting and they weren't that hard to clear out anyway. Stealth does work, I initially thought it didn't but then a friend told me you have to keep moving. If you try to sit in one spot taking everyone out then they will find you pretty quickly, but if you move to a new spot every time you kill a dude you're less likely to be spotted.

I can't wait for FC3, the only thing I don't really like so far is that main bad guy seems really cheesy (eg his insanity rant in the first trailer). He might not end up being that bad though and the gameplay looks awesome which is what really matters. I hope when they say there's more side stuff to do, they mean a lot more. My favourite parts of far cry 2 were taking out the radio towers and ambushing convoys but you could complete all of those within a few hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

Junk posted:

So if I'm reading this correctly, you are looking forward to it going back to an unpleasant mess of gameplay? :raise:

Haha, I assumed they meant far cry 2 was the unpleasant mess.
I preferred Far Cry's setting but preferred Far Cry 2's gameplay, this looks like it has both.:

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah, the jeeps lost their teeth when you realized how easy it was to put half a magazine through the windshield and kill both the driver and the gunner. The compact cars were especially laughable: Some pathetic worm comes to a skidding halt and performs a three-point-turn so he can chase you down, park his car, and get out of his vehicle. I don't think I've ever had a driver get past the three-point-turn without dying.

Especially when you were also in a jeep. You could speed through a checkpoint, jump in the gunner position, turn around and ruin anyone who followed you. Even if there was a jeep coming at you from the front you could usually jump in the gun and kill the driver and gunner before they had a chance to get a shot off.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

I read (in youtube comments so god knows where they got it from) that vehicles won't be available in the map editor which would suck.

I really, really hope that's true about it being timesplitters style because that would be amazing. I got a little bit addicted to making maps in FC2 and then just running around in them alone, if I could play against bots I don't think I'd even play anything else again.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

ekuNNN posted:

This game looks great. I just hope you can choose not to use things like 3D quest markers, minimaps and marking people so you can see them through walls :ohdear: I'm sad they went that route and no longer have a physical in-game map you have to take out and look at :(

I think marking people is entirely optional. I don't know about turning off the minimap, that might be possible but I doubt there's an option to use a physical map instead (which was one thing I loved about FC2).

The 29th can't come soon enough, I'm so excited for this game.

im a girl btw fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 21, 2012

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

Does it auto paint targets when you aim at them through a scope? It looks like it does, I don't like that but it's not that big a deal.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

ToastyPotato posted:

I thought the guy in one of the videos said he was marking the targets, which I took to mean he was pressing something to mark the targets, and not that they were automatically marked.

I hope that's right. I know you have to manually do it with the binoculars but on the gamespot video it looked like it did it automatically. I could have missed something though, I was playing xcom at the same time.

The guy on the gamespot video also guessed the playable area could be the same size as Just Cause 2... That can't be right, maybe it feels the same size because you don't have jets and a grappling hook. But if it is :aaa:

Quad bikes look like a lot of fun.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

thebardyspoon posted:

He said "I don't think it's quite as big as Skyrim, Just Cause 2 might be a better comparison" so I think he was just not remembering how big Just Cause 2 was.

Ah I didn't catch that part. He also said later that there's no map editor on the console version so I think they got a bunch of stuff wrong.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

As retarded as staggered releases are, it feels good to be getting it first for once. Hurry up, Thursday :v:

I am a bit gutted that I have to get it on PS3 though, I upgraded everything but my graphics card last year (my desktop is for making music) and I don't think my lovely 9600gt will handle it. It seems like the console map editors are gimped badly compared to PC.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

Adraeus posted:

Your 9600 GT might meet the minimum requirements. Joystiq's example minimum card is the 8800 GTX, which is just slightly better than your card with Far Cry 2.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/09/25/far-cry-3-pc-specs-outline-your-chances-of-survival/

http://www.hwcompare.com/4178/geforce-8800-gtx-vs-geforce-9600-gt-1gb/

In any case, minimum on a PC will most likely be superior to max on a PS3 and who knows how much your CPU will impact performance.

Oh ok. The CPU is an i5 2600K (I think 3.5ghz) and it has 8 gigs of ram. So my CPU and RAM are above the recommended specs but my graphics card is the bare minimum. I haven't really played games on PC in years so I'm not sure how that would work out performance-wise.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

From the videos I've seen enemies don't appear to be as bullet-spongey as they were in FC2 (except tigers) and the gun sounds seem to be pretty punchy.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

I've played for a couple of hours on PS3 and I'm enjoying it so far. I think after a few more hours I will like it as much as I liked Far Cry 2.

There are a couple things I don't like:

The guns feel too strong. I picked up an AK 30-40 minutes in and easily kill groups of 5 guys barely taking a scratch. The recoil barely makes a difference at medium range. I think with the weapons as strong as they are, the weapon decay mechanic from FC2 might have evened it out a bit.

Stealth takedowns are too easy. I understand you don't have to use them and I will probably avoid it. I think the distance from which you can activate a takedown is too far and enemies' peripheral vision isn't good enough.

Neither of those things spoil the game for me.

Things I do like so far:

Maoris. I'm a New Zealander and the first time the gun shop lady said "ka kite" I was like what the hell? Then a guy with a Maori kinda accent was telling a girl she needed to get some meat on her skinny bones. It's funny and cool hearing it in a game. Vaas' surname, Wahine, means woman in Maori. Maybe he's a tranny?

I flew a really long distance on a hang glider and a hawk came and flew along with me. 99% sure its scripted but it was a cool touch.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

Dan Didio posted:

Vaas surname is Montenegro. 'Vaas Wahine' refers to the little hulu statuette that you get with the Insane edition.

:v: look at how dumb I am

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

I bought it on PS3 because I thought my computer would be too crappy to run it well but I think this game is really pushing the PS3 to its limit. It doesn't even look like 30 FPS to me. When my friend gets it on PC I might try it out on mine and if it runs any better trade it in for a PC copy.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

Does anyone know of a way to get your camera back? Mine disappeared along with all my guns when I loaded, I just bought my guns back but you can't buy a camera. Wanted dead missions can be annoying without it but not impossible.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

I've been playing on PS3, I went around to my friend's place who got it on PC and wow it looks a million times better. We tried installing it on my PC but my graphics card just can't keep up, it still looks great even on low settings but it runs at 15 fps.

I don't understand why all the characters and some objects have fuzzy grey/brown auras around them, it just looks weird.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

Underwhelmed posted:

Is that the magic of DirectX 11? I gave up on it in since my 6870 seems to choke on itself and poo poo down to about half framerate when there is any sort of combat if I have 11 on, and either the halos are gone in 9, or a bit more subtle.

It's not a DX11 thing, they are definitely more subtle on PC though. They look awful and they're impossible to miss on PS3. It seems to be worse on story characters, I noticed it really badly on Lisa when she was running to the jeep.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

LGD posted:

They should have added a mechanic where (assuming you eventually leave the island) the photographs you take determines the size of your book deal.

Kind of like Pokemon Snap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

Has anyone else experienced weird jerkiness on PC?
My friend's PC runs the game really smoothly on high settings but it stutters/skips a few frames every now and then. Like the picture freezes for a split second sometimes. He has an i5 3750k, an HD 7870 and 8 gigs of RAM with the settings high but not maxed.

I got the 12.11 drivers for him and that didn't fix it.

We went into the map editor, I don't think it did it in the editing window but when we ran it it said he was getting over 90 FPS but still stuttered sometimes.

I went into the game, tried running it in DX9 mode which didn't help. I tried setting the res to 800*600 and that seemed to make it worse. I went through all the video settings and turned one thing off/changed one thing at a time and none of those fixed it.

It's not like he's getting low FPS, it runs smoothly other than the stuttering. I'm stumped.

• Locked thread