Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
The issue is that Lethal Tactic is taking up a spot that can be used for much more powerful limits, especially if you want to run the Aegis ones, and even with it I found a S/B's damage output unimpressive.

Also, a fun fact: something about the interaction between Swashbuckling and Second Sword is buggy, allowing Swashbuckling to not only proc far more often, but also allowing it to exceed the normal cap - I've had Swashbuckling activate seven times in a row on one weapon and three on the second. If that was reliable, maybe I'd be more inclined to run the S/B as an independent damage dealer...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Lethal Tactic is useful for speeding up random encounters without having to spend additional TP on them. Not a super great choice for bosses, but if you play like I do, chances are you're regularly switching up your Limits already.

In other news, I dug up a copy of the first Etrian Odyssey and holy poo poo I forgot some of the design decisions were so boneheaded. Skills don't list their prerequisites? And forget sidestepping, you can't even toggle between status profiles with the L/R buttons! Who designed this thing? Oh, right. I'll probably beat it anyway though. So! For y'all thinking about playing the second game, I will do for you a favor. The bonuses you get from entering a password from the first game are minor, but helpful, if you don't mind getting saddled with a guild someone else named.

Well, here's a chance to name it yourself! What shall I call this guild which will conquer Etria's Labyrinth? (It defaults to 'Vagabond' if I get nothing but suggestions like 'Dongs;' the point is ultimately to export a password tied to a name you'd actually want to use.)

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Rangpur posted:

In other news, I dug up a copy of the first Etrian Odyssey and holy poo poo I forgot some of the design decisions were so boneheaded. Skills don't list their prerequisites?

They don't? :confused: I could have sworn they did.

Rangpur posted:

What shall I call this guild which will conquer Etria's Labyrinth? (It defaults to 'Vagabond' if I get nothing but suggestions like 'Dongs;' the point is ultimately to export a password tied to a name you'd actually want to use.)

People will want to use Dongs :colbert:

But seriously, name them Dragoons.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Rasamune posted:

They don't? :confused: I could have sworn they did.

People will want to use Dongs :colbert:

But seriously, name them Dragoons.

Pretty sure you have to hit x or something to pop up the pre-requisites; I too distinctly remember them being in the game.

Also, name them Dongoons.

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

Rangpur posted:

Skills don't list their prerequisites?

Fun fact I didn't find out until my second or third attempt at playing EO1: press A when the cursor's on an invalid skill to bring up a window listing the prerequisites. Super unintuitive, yes, but at least it's one of the things they've fixed drastically in the later releases.

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
You guys are making me feel bad about wanting to beat the first. I'm only on the 3ed floor, should I just say forget it and plug in the second game instead?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Naaaah. If you're already enjoying it, there's no reason to stop.... The advice applies more if you hit a wall and get completely fed up.

Badingading posted:

Fun fact I didn't find out until my second or third attempt at playing EO1: press A when the cursor's on an invalid skill to bring up a window listing the prerequisites. Super unintuitive, yes, but at least it's one of the things they've fixed drastically in the later releases.
So it does! I was starting to wonder, because I could have sworn that they were visible last time I played the first one, but damned if I could remember how. I'm willing to go with Dragoons FWIW, but I'll leave the never-officially-started voting open until I actually get around to starting it.

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
Only thing I am having difficulty with is money. If anyone dies, it is either rest and get back my HP/TP, or reviving them. It is getting a tad annoying, but once I start making longer trips out into the labyrinth I shouldn't run into that problem as badly.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

crazkylo posted:

You guys are making me feel bad about wanting to beat the first. I'm only on the 3ed floor, should I just say forget it and plug in the second game instead?

You must continue at least until you've gotten to the last boss. If for no other reason than Ren and Tlachtga are awesome. And so is the fifth stratum music. Also, 1's the easiest of the three because some skills are completely broken. It wasn't until that fight that I realized Ren had long hair, it's just colored/shaded really strangely.

The best advice I can give for people wanting to fully beat these games is to go look up what very-specific lineup of classes and skills you'll need to beat the true final boss of each game. Best to just run it from the start than having to grind your way up to it afterwards.

Also, for anyone thinking of starting with 3, I suggest doing this for the third stratum fight. You'll need the anti-cold equivalent at a certain level or you straight up will not beat that fight. I had more trouble there than anywhere else in that game.

On that note, what do you guys think is the hardest fight in each of the games? And the most fun?

2's got a lot of really mean parts, compounded by the fact that FOEs stupidly do not give EXP in that game so having to redo your team is terrible. The one I usually get hung up on is the lady with her old gunner friend. Beast and the Harlot there wreck me every time. Colossus was a real pisser of a fight too, as I recall. It's been awhile so I can't exactly recall why, though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Well since you can cheese the poo poo out of the true final boss in EO2 with a bunch of Samurai or whatever, I think the hardest one for me was Salamox just because getting the special item required the most specific setup ever.

Kill a boss with 99% fire resistance... with fire? Well, poo poo. That's with disregarding his weird non-elemental skills that inflict instant death.

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
So am I going to be kind of hosed just building the characters however I want, or so long as I pick Immunize/defender will I be set?

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak

ChibiSoma posted:

Also, for anyone thinking of starting with 3, I suggest doing this for the third stratum fight. You'll need the anti-cold equivalent at a certain level or you straight up will not beat that fight. I had more trouble there than anywhere else in that game.

Isn't the 3rd Stratum boss of EO3 the robot, Gatekeeper I think his name is? You definitely don't need anti-cold for that. Or are you talking about when you fight the Eldest One's minion things? Either way, I never needed anti-cold until I fought Drake.

crazkylo posted:

So am I going to be kind of hosed just building the characters however I want, or so long as I pick Immunize/defender will I be set?

I never picked up either of those skills and beat the 5th Stratum boss just fine. Not sure if you'll be able to handle the 6th Stratum bonus boss without immunize though, but maybe.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

ChibiSoma posted:

You can get an aegis limit right before this fight actually, so you can also run a buccaneer that is dedicated purely to limit boost to get through. That's what I did.

ChibiSoma posted:

On that note, what do you guys think is the hardest fight in each of the games? And the most fun?

The first game I gave up on the fourth stratum boss due to my stubborn refusal to run an alchemist (combined with the lovely farming in that game). But I don't think that really counts. I've always been disappointed that I never got to see the fifth stratum which sounded really cool.

Now the third game I beat all three ways so I would have to say that besides the obvious postgame bosses the most difficult/fun boss was Ocean Master Ketos at the end of the second stratum. I actually also liked both of the "bad ending" bosses a lot too.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

Well since you can cheese the poo poo out of the true final boss in EO2 with a bunch of Samurai or whatever, I think the hardest one for me was Salamox just because getting the special item required the most specific setup ever.
You CAN do that, but all the Ronin-only teams I've seen suggest an average level of 80 which equates to grinding out like 350 levels per character since you can only break the level cap in EOII via serial retirement. Most of the them also kit everyone out with the katana you only get by murdering that boss in the first place. So I'm not really sure what the point is, you know?

Salamox wasn't a huge problem for me since I had leveled up a team with the correct skills by coincidence. I mean, Protector, Gunner/Alchemist, Medic, and Hexer is already a really solid lineup. Then again, I mostly dealt with non-elemental BS magic by making sure my Medic survived and spamming Phoenix to get everyone on their feet again. I know it's the boring answer, but Scylla on B15F was the one that had me tearing my hair out and Resting my main party multiple times. Goddamn did beating that thing feel satisfying though.

Narmer in EOIII takes is my pick for 'most enjoyable fight.' The series bosses are almost all exhilarating for how close you get to wiping the first time you eke out a win. But I love that whiskery bastard because of all the surprise moves he pulls. None of those tricks had any precedent in the previous two games (that I can recall), and they're all good examples of providing new experiences with the same system.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Rangpur posted:

I know it's the boring answer, but Scylla on B15F was the one that had me tearing my hair out and Resting my main party multiple times. Goddamn did beating that thing feel satisfying though.

Nah man I was like this close to saying Scylla, haha. gently caress that ho, Harpy and the regular final boss are comparatively easier.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
The hardest ones for me where the drakes in 3 since they do that bullshit high damage elemental attack that's practically instant death if you go blind. I gave up on the true final boss in 3 since he couldn't kill me and I couldn't kill him and I really don't want to grind a cookie cutter team to beat it.

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
Are the quests in EO1 important at all? I know the ones from the hall are mandatory, but should I probably go out of my way to clear out the quests at the pub as they become available, or are they mostly just for extra goodies?

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

People call me Pine! (Pine!)
Eastern Venus Space Police.
If there's slime, (There's slime!)
Involved in a crime, (Bad crime!)
We'll clean them up on the beat! (The beat!)
Is there any word on Etrian Odyssey 4 coming to Europe? I imported 3, and I really enjoyed it, but it was just too difficult for me. :sigh: The new casual mode sounds promising, though, and I'd love to give this a shot, but importing is obviously a no-go.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

I've been pounding through EO3 for a while now and I finally got to the subclass unlocks. Definitely feels a little overwhelming, someone mind critiquing my choices for me?

My main exploration party's been Hoplite/Gladiator/Monk/Zodiac/Arbalist. Currently thinking about going Hoplite/Ninja for evasion, clones, and Sarutobi, Gladiator/Buccaneer for Swashbuckling, Lady Luck, and the Chase skills, Monk/Prince for healing and buffing, and Arbalist/Gladiator for Berserker Vow, Wolf Howl, and Charge. Not sure what exactly to do with the Zodiac, might just subclass him to Farmer or something and throw the five points into Zodiac skills. That sound any kind of good?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fungah! posted:

Not sure what exactly to do with the Zodiac, might just subclass him to Farmer or something and throw the five points into Zodiac skills. That sound any kind of good?

This one's a horrible idea because you should never mix your farmers with your mains. I did this the first time I played EO2 and I only beat the normal final boss with 1HP left on my Protector because he had that "chance to survive mortal blow" skill, doing all of ~45 damage per hit.

Isn't there a Zodiac/Ninja sub build that makes everything cost like 1TP?

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Fungah! posted:

I've been pounding through EO3 for a while now and I finally got to the subclass unlocks. Definitely feels a little overwhelming, someone mind critiquing my choices for me?

My main exploration party's been Hoplite/Gladiator/Monk/Zodiac/Arbalist. Currently thinking about going Hoplite/Ninja for evasion, clones, and Sarutobi, Gladiator/Buccaneer for Swashbuckling, Lady Luck, and the Chase skills, Monk/Prince for healing and buffing, and Arbalist/Gladiator for Berserker Vow, Wolf Howl, and Charge. Not sure what exactly to do with the Zodiac, might just subclass him to Farmer or something and throw the five points into Zodiac skills. That sound any kind of good?

One thing to note is that you don't HAVE to subclass right now, and you may be better served waiting until one of the extra jobs is unlocked and subclassing as that, giving you an opportunity to use their skills without investing in a brand new character and grinding them up.

Zodiac and Arbalist actually become really, really good when subclassed as each other. Zodiac gets access to bows which lets them do actual damage just attacking instead of blowing through all their spells, and the elemental barrages can make use of Singularity to give you AoE attacks with much less mp cost and skill point requirements. Arbalist, on the flip side, is just really all-around good as a class by itself and tends to eat up a lot of skill points so subbing Zodiac solely for Singularity tends to be pretty sufficient. Note that monsters can have a weakness to piercing and just having Singularity will apply the bonus damage even to your regular bow attacks.

Of course it basically hashes out as two almost-identical people so you may not want to do that. Zodiac/Gladiator is actually a viable combo because Meteor does physical damage and is affected by Charge. Arbalist/Gladiator is viable just to boost damage, but so is Arbalist/Shogun since Arbalist is covered a bit more using Warrior's Might when in the back row.

Hoplite/Ninja is pretty much a great option. Clone up, bodyguard two people per turn and suddenly 4/6 slots are occupied by nigh-invinicible hoplites during boss fights, or use line guard to cover everyone at once. Hoplite/Monk also has some uses but I'd only recommend it if someone else in your group has claim to the sixth slot.

Same deal for Monk/Prince, great option. Protect Order when cast as a Monk basically gives a line free healing-to-full for 3 turns, it's awesome.

Gladiator/Buccaneer works if you want lady luck and swashbuckling but if you're more interested in using chase attacks you should go Gladiator/Shogun for the better option that they have.

EDIT:

The White Dragon posted:

This one's a horrible idea because you should never mix your farmers with your mains. I did this the first time I played EO2 and I only beat the normal final boss with 1HP left on my Protector because he had that "chance to survive mortal blow" skill, doing all of ~45 damage per hit.

It's a Ninja/Zodiac build. Ninja's intrinsic skill, when maxed, lowers TP costs for everything by 9. Zodiac has a skill which, when maxed, costs 10Tp and makes the skills used by that row not cost anything. Combine both and you use 1TP to make the other people use their skills for free.

Meiteron fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 17, 2012

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Fungah! posted:

Those are actually very good choices, for the most part. Hoplite/Ninja, Arbalist/Gladiator, and Monk/Prince are so good as to almost be cookie cutter, so you're safe there.

I find that for a main Gladiator, unless you're doing a Gladiator/Shogun Warrior's Might build it really boils down to whether you're going maces or swords. If you're going maces, go Gladiator/Arbalist to pick up Proper Form for the accuracy boost to Nine Smashes. If you're going Swords, it really doesn't matter; I would recommend Glad/Bucc for Eagle Eye or Glad/Wildling for War Drums. Your party is so physical damage heavy that a big defense debuff like Eagle Eye/Drums will pay huge dividends. Even if you're going Glad/Bucc, I would ignore chasers and Swashbuckling. Bucc chasers are mediocre at best unless you build your entire party around them(you haven't and that's okay) and Swashbuckling is an incredibly massive points investment to boost normal attacks on a character that can do a shitload more damage using his awesome gladiator abilities with Charge. Lady Luck sucks for similar reasons.

For the Zodiac, you have two real roads as well. For an elemental Zodiac you could just pick up whatever defense-debuffing subclass your gladiator ignores and just play them like a pure Zodiac plus a debuff. If you're shooting for Meteor, go Zodiac/Gladiator. It sounds silly, but Gladiator Charge applies to all physical effects including Meteor. Just be aware that your zodiac will become cripplingly addicted to Amritas.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

Think the actual build is Zodiac/Ninja to make Dark Ether cost 2 TP. Infinite TP for everyone as long as the Z/N's bar holds out.

Meiteron posted:

Awesome stuff

Thanks for the advice, dude! Accidentally saved while I was playing around with Arbalist/Gladiator so that's locked in, but I think I'll go Hoplite/Ninja, Gladiator/Buccaneer, Monk/Prince, Zodiac/Arbalist, and Arbalist/Gladiator.

Kanos posted:

More awesome stuff

Whoops, didn't see this until after I posted. Yeah, the requirements for Swashbuckling are actually really high now that I look at them, not sure I necessarily want to sink 16 points into worthless skills to get it. Lady Luck and Eagle Eye still look like good reasons to take Buccaneer, though, so I'll still do that. Do the various physical debuffs stack? Because if so I've got access to Wolf Howl and will have Eagle Eye soon, and if both of those stack with Primal Drums things are going to get silly.

Thanks again, guys!

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 17, 2012

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

There is one exception to this I'll advocate, and that is Wildling/Farmer. Farmers have the highest LUC stat but it doesn't seem to make their status attacks very effective. That's because most skills with a status rider are based off LUC and TEC. Wildlings being the big-time status ailment class have the best combination of those stats.

Strange Seeds is the only multi-target bind in the game, and Rotten Egg can be a lifesaver if you're using it on a boss you just tagged with poison; their attack power plummets. Plus, walking around with a point in Camp Mastery has pulled my rear end out of the fire on multiple occasions. Just that single point lets you revive and/or fix petrified characters with a tent.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Rotten Egg or the other Wildling attack debuff is great against Wyrm since he wastes a bunch of turns reapplying his attack buff, instead of slapping you with his attack buff up.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I'm replaying 3 now, (I never quite finished the first time) and I'm trying to run with a full-fledged farmer in the back row. Probably a bad idea, but I like the extra XP, and so far so good... :3:

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
It's doable since I've used one all the way up to the sixth stratum and the majority of the optional bosses. The seeds made the princess boss a joke until they stopped working but by then she was more than halfway dead. I had her subclass as a princess since farmers have poo poo attack so might as well passively heal my dudes along with my frontline princess.

Marogareh fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 17, 2012

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

I'm replaying 3 now, (I never quite finished the first time) and I'm trying to run with a full-fledged farmer in the back row. Probably a bad idea, but I like the extra XP, and so far so good... :3:

Yeah that is a pretty bad idea but I guess Farmer/shogun isn't too bad

Earth's Bounty 4/10
Lullaby 3/10
Play Possum 5/10
Strange Seeds 10/10
Persistence 10/10
Rotten Egg 5/10
Harvesty 5/5
Double Chop 4/10
Camp Mastery 3/10
Waste Not 5/5

Endure 5/5
Morale boost 5/10
Fusillade 3/10
Blitz Command 10/10

That gives you an 80% to avoid death an survive with 1hp. After you die your entire team heals 50 hp and you have a 40% chance to auto revive. Blitz Command makes all your other character attack so you don't need to worry about the Farmer's low attack stat. Then you got a decent debuff and bind. Campsites heal a lot more and recover all status effects. Plus you get to harvest every spot you come across and have a +5% chance of items dropping in combat.

You could get rid of double chop or lower some blitz command if you want more Earth's Bounty

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

It's interesting in that even though Farmers are statted to be almost entirely ineffective with any kind of direct action, you can still get a meaningful contribution out of them by sub-classing your way to skills not based off raw stats. TEC doesn't modify any of the Prince/ss buffs, and STR has no effect on the Shogun's Blitz Command or Ambush Stance. It's not my preferred strategy, but truth be told, if I was stuck with only five characters for the entire game I might well take a Farmer as one of them.

Could make for an interesting gimmick run.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Rangpur posted:

It's interesting in that even though Farmers are statted to be almost entirely ineffective with any kind of direct action, you can still get a meaningful contribution out of them by sub-classing your way to skills not based off raw stats. TEC doesn't modify any of the Prince/ss buffs, and STR has no effect on the Shogun's Blitz Command or Ambush Stance. It's not my preferred strategy, but truth be told, if I was stuck with only five characters for the entire game I might well take a Farmer as one of them.

Could make for an interesting gimmick run.

TEC actually does modify Protect Order, which is one of the Prince's best spells, one of the best heals in the game, and one of the primary reasons why a Monk/Prince or even a Ninja/Prince is drastically superior to a primary prince.

For a straight buffing Prince you don't need TEC though, though Farmer TP pools are a little thin if I remember correctly.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Does picking a subclass effect stat growth actually?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Dr Pepper posted:

Does picking a subclass effect stat growth actually?
No. The only effect picking a subclass has is granting 5 skill points immediately.

Mind you it's worth doing for that alone, even if you use none of your subclass's skills.

Also of note: Protect Order has a pretty piddly heal unless you have it on a Monk/Prince. Form Qi (the Monk's passive) brings it up to a remarkably decent amount. Other than that, Regal Radiance and Ad Nihilo are the only scaling Prince skills, you don't use Ad Nihilo for the damage, and Regal Radiance takes too much setup to be worth it. Princes are lousy offensive classes but with great defensive and support abilities and they work as well if not better on a subclass than they do on their own.

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!
It's interesting seeing how people use farmers to great effect - I never really used them beyond making about ten, giving them Combat Study and using them to farm items forever. :v:

Also, to the discussion going on earlier, it's definitely Ninja with sub Zodiac - the ninja's skill that reduces TP costs by 1 per rank is ninja-only. It's always hilarious, though, and it tends to make my exploration of later strata consist of a gladiator spamming Blade Rave on everything we run into while a monk tosses out full party heals like candy. :v:

100percentjesusfree fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Nov 18, 2012

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

100percentjesusfree posted:

It's interesting seeing how people use farmers to great effect - I never really used them beyond making about ten, giving them Combat Study and using them to farm items forever. :v:

I use Combat Study until they're level 5 (you can respec in EO3 (unsure of the previous games) at or under level 5 for no cost whatsoever) which by that point I've got my Prince up to a decent point (2 points into Triumphant Cry).

Ultimately, I'll wind up with a party of 3 Farmers (maxed Harvestry and each with 5 points in a different gathering skill), a Prince/Monk, and a final class that can be whatever, as long as it has some decent damage output.

I always keep Farmers after I unlock secondary classes since with 3 maxed Earth's Bounties my farming team easily keeps even, and usually ahead, with my exploration team. Once I hit the third strata, I usually wind up with a Prince/Monk (Healing and Guard Order), Farmer/Gladiator (Freezing Blow) and Farmer/Buccaneer (Chase Ice) in the front row and a Farmer/Zodiac (Ice) and Ninja/Farmer (Status effects) in the back. Of course, I throw in the odd non-ice skills for ice resistant enemies. It isn't anywhere close to being an optimum party, but it's hard as gently caress to kill thanks to entering every battle at full health, the protections from my Prince and the status effects from my Ninja. It also deals out a respectable amount of damage, enough to usually take on FOEs towards the end of the stratum that I'm exploring. Plus, I'm going back to town often enough thanks to a full inventory that, with a decent use of Auto-Battle and an easily over-leveled party, I practically never have to worry about TP.

A few tips, mostly for people new to the games, if you decide to do this yourself.
  • Equipment is more important than levels once you're past the first boss, even more so after you've unlocked secondary classes. Use accessories and item mods to buff weak stats that are important to the farmer's secondary classes! There's a few items from the sea quest bosses that really help with this, if you aren't using them on your exploration team.
  • I go one of two ways in the later strata as regards to damage mitigation. I either make enemies go after my Prince, with the extra armor and health, or I have them go after my Ninja or Bunshin clone with their increased evasion skills. Just use Otori to keep enemies on that character. One method saves skill points on my Ninja, the other keeps the Prince's Royal Veil up without burning TP on healing him, which can then be used for protection or murder instead.
  • This really goes without saying, but even if you grab To Market (the Farmer's thread replacement) never leave town without a thread in your inventory, you can't use that skill if that farmer happens to die. A few extra healing and revival items don't hurt as a dead team is a game over, but keep in mind that any item you don't use is one less that you won't be able to carry back to town and sell.
  • Tents and Camp Mastery are wonderful if you're having trouble with a new stratum or a particular set of enemies. It isn't a bad idea to grab Camp Mastery and just take one or two tents along instead of healing/revival items.
  • Setting up auto-travel paths are practically required for your own sanity if you're going to be farming items or XP. (You will.) I have two types of paths that I'll set up. One for my item farming squad that stops by the least out of the way gathering point on the way towards the stairs on the first three floors of every stratum, and a loop that I use to farm XP for any team. Don't forget about sea quests though, as they're reasonably safe ways to solo grind for experience thanks to the AI party members and extra boss XP. The required save before hand and less time crawling the Labyrinth for encounters are nice features too.
  • Don't run from non-FOE battles. Unless you're trying to get to a campsite or escape the stratum because you were an idiot and forgot to buy an extra thread after you used your last one to escape from that drat hippo that cornered you while you weren't paying attention on the third floor, and now the only person left alive is your Ninja in the back row thanks to an unlucky battle. (:suicide:) The experience is useful, and the monster drops should be affected by your Farmer's increased luck.

Now that I've written more words about a secondary and purposefully sub-optimal team in EO3 than I have on my NaNoWriMo novel in the past three days, I think I'm done.

Edit: Forgot to add a sentence to the damage mitigation and XP farming points.

Onean fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 18, 2012

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I own all three, but I"ve only kind of hosed around a bit in the first one. If I really wanted to delve into one and actually complete it, it seems like the accepted wisdom is 3 is the most player friendly (I know that term is used very loosely in this series). Is that right?

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!

Ambitious Spider posted:

I own all three, but I"ve only kind of hosed around a bit in the first one. If I really wanted to delve into one and actually complete it, it seems like the accepted wisdom is 3 is the most player friendly (I know that term is used very loosely in this series). Is that right?

Pretty much, yeah. The thing is with this series, if you were to start with 3, it'd be much harder to go back to 1 or 2 - they seem to keep making the games better and better, improving mechanics and such. 1, while still fun, is pretty much completely unintuitive a lot of the time, and you can either make the game absurdly easy, by abusing Defender and Immunize, or quite a bit harder by not doing.

The second, I've not played much - I do know that they changed the balance around a lot, removing some of the broken stuff, and adding new classes that had an unfortunate tendency to make a bunch of the older ones a bit redundant.

The third completely changes the classes, giving an entirely new set of them rather than just going "Have the old ones PLUS SOME NEW, BETTER ONES!", they're generally balanced somewhat better, and while you can do ridiculous shenanigans, it's mostly only once you start getting into the later (or at least, middle) game that you can really do it, contrary to the first game where you can pretty much horribly massacre your way through the first stratum if you know what you're doing, or get murdered by rats and butterflies if you don't. :v:

e. Also, it's linked in the OP but this exists for Etrian Odyssey 3, making planning your builds a breeze - for the LP I've been doing of the first game, I've had to fumble my way around using a combination of some Japanese site and Gamefaqs to get the specific numbers for how well skills work. (The increases and such that skills get are also inconsistent as all hell, just to add to the fun.)

100percentjesusfree fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 18, 2012

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm kinda sad that no one's done a speed run/TAS of these games. You'd think a TAS would be interesting with the luck manipulation possibilities. And a speed run would definitely require a ton of skill. SDA has runs that are like 10+ hours long, right? I fail to see how someone with knowledge of where to go and what to do would turn in something longer than that.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Shwqa posted:

Yeah that is a pretty bad idea but I guess Farmer/shogun isn't too bad

Earth's Bounty 4/10
Lullaby 3/10
Play Possum 5/10
Strange Seeds 10/10
Persistence 10/10
Rotten Egg 5/10
Harvesty 5/5
Double Chop 4/10
Camp Mastery 3/10
Waste Not 5/5

Endure 5/5
Morale boost 5/10
Fusillade 3/10
Blitz Command 10/10

That gives you an 80% to avoid death an survive with 1hp. After you die your entire team heals 50 hp and you have a 40% chance to auto revive. Blitz Command makes all your other character attack so you don't need to worry about the Farmer's low attack stat. Then you got a decent debuff and bind. Campsites heal a lot more and recover all status effects. Plus you get to harvest every spot you come across and have a +5% chance of items dropping in combat.

You could get rid of double chop or lower some blitz command if you want more Earth's Bounty

That's kind of ingenious, actually.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

theshim posted:

No. The only effect picking a subclass has is granting 5 skill points immediately.

Mind you it's worth doing for that alone, even if you use none of your subclass's skills.

Also of note: Protect Order has a pretty piddly heal unless you have it on a Monk/Prince. Form Qi (the Monk's passive) brings it up to a remarkably decent amount. Other than that, Regal Radiance and Ad Nihilo are the only scaling Prince skills, you don't use Ad Nihilo for the damage, and Regal Radiance takes too much setup to be worth it. Princes are lousy offensive classes but with great defensive and support abilities and they work as well if not better on a subclass than they do on their own.

Form Qi doesn't actually affect Protect Order's healing, oddly enough. Protect Order is still incredible - the healing is not "piddly" at all when you consider that it's 1. Cast and Forget for 3 turns and 2. Affects an entire row. It's easy to get a high level monk/prince's Protect Order ticking for ~200 a turn, which is generally more than enough for any maintenance healing on the party that would otherwise need to be done(and the fact that it lasts for two turns means you can maintain it on both rows permanently and still have free turns to respond to emergencies/buff people with your awesome skillset/throw amritas).

The Prince class as a primary is garbage and should be scrapped as soon as you can be bothered to level a replacement, but as a subclass for Monk or Ninja its skillset is one of the best in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Hello? Anyone in there?

Kanos posted:

Form Qi doesn't actually affect Protect Order's healing, oddly enough.
Er, yes it does? Form Qi boosts any healing skill that scales with stats, including Protect Order. It's pretty easy to test too, a Monk/Prince with maxed out Form Qi heals way more with Protect Order than a Zodiac/Monk would, even though the latter has more TEC.

• Locked thread