Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I hope y'all are happy; between this thread and the LP, I dug out my copy of EO3 and started playing again.

And I still can't settle on a party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Exodee posted:

Er, yes it does? Form Qi boosts any healing skill that scales with stats, including Protect Order. It's pretty easy to test too, a Monk/Prince with maxed out Form Qi heals way more with Protect Order than a Zodiac/Monk would, even though the latter has more TEC.

I was parroting an old forum thread on Intothelabyrinth because I don't actually have my DS right now. :blush:

Either way Protect Order owns bones.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Kanos posted:

The Prince class as a primary is garbage and should be scrapped as soon as you can be bothered to level a replacement, but as a subclass for Monk or Ninja its skillset is one of the best in the game.

Excuse me my Princess is the guild's founder so there's no way she can leave. :colbert:

:goonsay:

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Kanos posted:

I was parroting an old forum thread on Intothelabyrinth because I don't actually have my DS right now. :blush:

Yeah, I tried making a secondary healer of sorts by subbing Prince on my Zodiac, but after a lot of grinding his healing didn't really stack up compared to my Monk/Princess. :(

Speaking of Princes, I've had some success with turning a Prince into a tank of sorts by subbing Hoplite. Their large TP pool/recovery allows them to spam those defensive skills over and over, while still having some pretty solid defense. Kinda moot when you've got a Ninja/Zodiac of course, but it's something at least.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Dr Pepper posted:

Excuse me my Princess is the guild's founder so there's no way she can leave. :colbert:

:goonsay:

Retire her and pretend she took up religion and/or learned to be a ninja. :3:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Kanos posted:

Must have been a very old thread then. Monk/Prince for the awesome Protect Order was one of the first things settled upon in the cookie-cutter party.

I haven't checked ItL in a while. I hope scy's still around for EO4!

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Kanos posted:

Retire her and pretend she took up religion and/or learned to be a ninja. :3:

The alt color of the first female shogun in the perfect blond princess standin.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Wait, can someone explain why Prince/Princess primary is bad?

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Their unique skill (royal lineage) is lovely.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Lotish posted:

I believe I had 2 princes in my party for my whole first run through the game, don't worry about it too much.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Lotish posted:

If you're going for super optimization, main prince/ss is bad because they have incredibly mediocre stats across the board and their unique skill is garbage that sucks really hard. Their skillset is fantastic but a monk/prince will be a drastically better Protect Order user due to a significantly deeper TP pool, Form Qi, and a really good TEC stat. A ninja/prince will be a drastically better buffer due to much higher AGI to go first, Keburi no Sue to make their buffs cost basically nothing, and if you're feeling saucy, Bunshin to allow you to double your buffing power. Ninjas even make better Protect Order users because even their TEC is better than a main Prince. Really, the only positive things a Prince has going for him is heavy armor access and decent HP, and if your Prince is getting his head smashed in your hoplite is doing a bad job.

For the main game, you can pretty much use whatever and win, so if you like the way your prince/ss looks, don't panic. I actually like to use two princes at the beginning to ensure I can stay in the Labyrinth for an infinite amount of time to make the early game go faster, for example. :shobon:

Kanos fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 19, 2012

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Lotish posted:

Their base stats are decent but they don't excel at anything, their class skill is pretty damned useless, and given that nearly all of their skills do not scale at all, they work incredibly well as a subclass on anything that doesn't need another to work.

fake edit: this is why you don't walk off in the middle of typing a reply

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Lotish posted:

This bears repeating: none of the classes in EO are bad in the sense of being unusable, or even ineffective. But you are limited to five people in the party, so the opportunity cost is much higher. The Prince/ss exclusive skill 'Royal Lineage' isn't very useful. it's effectively a reverse Trickster that 'discounts' any enhancement spell you can cast by restoring a few TP if it includes your royal as a target. It's... not a great use of points. It boils down to the fact that anyone can get the useful Prince/ss skills by sub-classing.

Remember though that sub-classing doesn't change your stats, and it doesn't change the armor you can use. Check the stat spread and you see royals are practically sitting right on the median. They have no outstanding stats, but they also lack glaring weaknesses. They have the stats to do passably well with most jobs, and they can use the heaviest armor/shields. You use a Prince/ss to plant a skill set on the front line that would otherwise be too fragile: Zodiac, Arbalist, Monk, etc.

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Nov 19, 2012

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So how's EO4 with regards to that? Is it supposed to be more balanced in those terms (i.e. you can subclass anything and still be viable) or are there still disappointments like the Yggdroid out there?

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH
Everyone seems pretty useful, just looking at the Skill Simulator. Of course, I say this having no real experience with anyone.

If nothing else, a lot of the classes have a 'Hits enemy party multiple times' attack, which is basically the best way to deal damage in this series.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

For those of you new to the series and looking for general advice, I finished my general advice write-up for the first two games in the second post. Those of you who are not new to the series, feel free to point out any stuff I stupidly missed!

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Complexcalibur posted:

If nothing else, a lot of the classes have a 'Hits enemy party multiple times' attack, which is basically the best way to deal damage in this series.

Yay class mechanics!

Etrian Odyssey 4 classes are based around a single mechanic a lot more than 3's classes (I want to say more like the first game, but I haven't played it in so long I can't remember). The third game's classes had a lot of overlap on mechanics; the Wildling and Zodiac were pretty much entirely based around binds/status and elemental damage making them exceptions, but pretty much every other class had two or all three of those mechanics at their disposal in addition to their own niche.

EO4, among the default classes, the mechanics of the game are a lot more stratified with only 2/7 classes having elemental attacks (compared to 6/10 in 3, not counting Buccaneer's chase skills) and with the exception of the Medic's 'Sleep Blow' skill all the statuses and binds are restricted to Nightseekers and Snipers, respectively. The versatility of EO3's overlapping skill-sets are replaced with a whole lot of physical damage skills and modifying skills (with actives like spread-throw and passives like all the 'pre-emptive [skill]' things).

The unlockable classes are each an exception, though :ssh: I also think Furry/Dancer and AnimeBladegunDude/Nightseeker will be the hep new OP combos, but they both depend on secret classes.

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!

Rangpur posted:

For those of you new to the series and looking for general advice, I finished my general advice write-up for the first two games in the second post. Those of you who are not new to the series, feel free to point out any stuff I stupidly missed!

Only thing I'd add to the advice you gave is a bit of a warning regarding poison in EO1 - it's fantastic at first, but the damage doesn't scale with TEC, or anything beyond skill level, so while it's beautiful throughout the first stratum, it quickly becomes a bit crap later on. :v: Unless you did say that, and I missed it somehow. Anyway, it generally all looks pretty great, otherwise!

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Are the unlockable classes in 4 really a spoiler when they showed them off in the Famitsu previews? The only thing they're sort of pussyfooting around with like they did with 3's unlockables is the third one.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I'd presume it's for the same reasons. Unlocking the Shogun/Yggdroid class is directly tied to the actions you take in the story. Theoretically, you could complete EO I/II without unlocking Ronin and Hexer/Beast and it wouldn't change anything.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I really disliked using Monk/Prince as my healer based on Protect order. In a game where you only have 3 buff/debuff slots, I felt better off saving one for a near permanent use of Prevent Order. Too many times burned in the previous games by a session ending confusion, sleep or petrification, or a bosses instant death move threshold when your party has too many buffs. I still took a monk/prince as my primary healer and then had a Prince/Wildling for Attack Order, Ad Nihilo and Primal Drums.

Of course this was to compliment a tankier variant of the Warrior's Might build that used a Hoplite/Ninja, a Glad/Shogun and a gun wielding Shogun/Buccaneer for maximum limit abuse.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

So, in EO1 how am I supposed to get my farming Survivalist takers/miners down three/four floors in one piece to get their groove on? There's lots of scary butterflies in the way :ohdear:

I'd like a little extra stuff before taking on Fenrir to go with this pretty swell Boar Spear :black101:

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 20, 2012

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

There are two ways of handling this: one is to limit yourself to 3 survivalists, all in the back row, plus your two strongest frontline characters. That should be enough to handle most random encounters if you're at the point where you think you could take Fenrir. You won't be able to rake in quite as much cash per trip this way, but it's safer.

The other way is to go full-on team farmbot, in which case you'll want to run from every non-trivial fight. How feasible this is depends on what level they are and what equipment they're wearing. Thing is, you DO need to upgrade your farmbots' equipment, even if its only hand-me-downs from the main party. Survivalists usually have a high enough AGI that they can flee reliably, but you still want them capable of surviving a hit or two in the meantime.

FOEs are a potential problem either way, but if you're unable to avoid them then send your main party in first to wipe them out. Remember: a dead FOE stays dead for an in-game week or so.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
This thread made me pick up EO3 again. It surprises me how little I enjoy this genre of game normally, but EO3 is great. I guess it's just the difference that something other than 'GRIM DUNGEON WITH GENERIC FANTASY' makes.

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH
Yeah, it honestly isn't much of a change, but 'Dungeon Crawl in the tropics' was a nice spin on things.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Dungeon crawl in the tropics while a goofy anime mixup of Norse mythology, Lovecraftian horror, and robots actively going against Asimov's 3 laws throw down in the subterranean Japanese forest underneath the ocean.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Managed to kill the boss in F5 (although he took out my Medic and Protector in the process).

Is Caudeceus really that good, or is it a 20-point trap? I have my qualms about putting a medic in the front row when the game likes to curbstomp my frontline guys in one round, despite the people I've heard say it's good.

How useful are TP Recover and Scavenge for the Medic/Alchemist? I'm using a troubador, so is TP Recover on top of that too much or am I better off snagging more cure/salve and :science:

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
So, I literally just now discovered (after playing for a good 10 hours or so on two playthrough attempts and reaching B4F) that once you go through a one-way hole in a wall, you can use it both ways as a shortcut. I thought they were just for leaving the dungeon :(

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH
Some actually are only one way, though. Make sure you check so you can mark them correctly on your map.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Falcon2001 posted:

So, I literally just now discovered (after playing for a good 10 hours or so on two playthrough attempts and reaching B4F) that once you go through a one-way hole in a wall, you can use it both ways as a shortcut. I thought they were just for leaving the dungeon :(

A lot of floors have a "two way but only openable on this side" sort of thing near the entrance so that you can easily go through that floor next time.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Falcon2001 posted:

This thread made me pick up EO3 again. It surprises me how little I enjoy this genre of game normally, but EO3 is great. I guess it's just the difference that something other than 'GRIM DUNGEON WITH GENERIC FANTASY' makes.

EO is also pretty different from most first person dungeon crawls. Typical members of the genre are more like Dark Spire, i.e. having much more of a focus on puzzle-solving with combat being something of a simplistic afterthought. EO ditches all but the most basic of puzzle solving(finding out how to get from point A to point B) in favor of a really deep and tightly tuned combat system with a lot of options.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Though they can get pretty creative in creating FOE based puzzles.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Complexcalibur posted:

Yeah, it honestly isn't much of a change, but 'Dungeon Crawl in the tropics' was a nice spin on things.
You nailed the heart of the series' attraction to me. Etrian Odyssey I-III aren't 'dungeon' crawls at all. They're about exploring a murderously indifferent wilderness. Might not revolutionize the genre, but there's a ton of little ways the games reinforce their theme. Most every enemy you encounter across every strata in every game is some kind of naturally occurring fauna/flora. Evolved to the point of being insanely dangerous to humans, maybe, but the vast majority are still 'natural' in origin. You know what else I've never seen? A magic ring that turns out to be cursed/an illusion/suspended in a gelatinous cube. Because the Labyrinth isn't out to trick you. Most strata are functioning ecosystems that you're trampling underfoot with your giant metal boots like a total rear end in a top hat.

Next time you get a chance, examine the bestiary: you see slimes, and spiders, and killer fish, etc. Doesn't sound all that different until you consider what ISN'T there. Across all 3 EO games so far you will not find a single: zombie, goblin, orc, elf, halfling, kobold, or nameless human thug. Hell, every time you have to fight another human it is A Big Deal, and they are far more dangerous than anything else on the floor. The fact that all of those show up in great profusion in Dark Spire is one of the reasons I didn't care for the game. I've played D&D tons already and even back in high school we didn't fuckin' roll for stats, goddamn. Which is a pity since I really did like the art style, but the setting was just incredibly dull to me.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I never managed to get far enough into any of the games to know if they already do this, but the "exploring the murderous wilderness" motif really makes me want a "points of light" kind of game that has multiple towns. After clearing so many strata, you find another pocket of civilization and open up a trade route or something.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Lotish posted:

I never managed to get far enough into any of the games to know if they already do this, but the "exploring the murderous wilderness" motif really makes me want a "points of light" kind of game that has multiple towns. After clearing so many strata, you find another pocket of civilization and open up a trade route or something.

EO3 actually does this with the Deep City and to a lesser extent the sailing exploration. In fact, it's completely central to the plot!

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

Lotish posted:

The third game has this in the Deep City, where the descendants of the people in the part of Armoroad that was swallowed by the labyrinth live, and it's where you can go to subclass. Also I think the fourth game's concept of having an overworld will probably lend itself to this pretty easily.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Lotish posted:

Yeah, since the dungeon progression is fairly linear for most of the game and the town is just a menu, I've always wanted a little more 'story' to the levels. Like the first three levels of a stratum are exploring a jungle while heading towards a dungeon, and then two levels of ruined dungeon, then you move onto a new town and another mini-progression arc, like two levels of desert, one level of ruined city, two more levels of desert, and then a tower made up of several small maps instead of one huge one.

Something more then just 5 levels of green jungle, 5 levels of red jungle, 5 levels of yellow...

Although, as pointed out, EOIII is a bit better about this, and hopefully IV does even more.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

EO4 release date is February 26, 2013:

quote:

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan is hitting North America on February 26, 2013. The initial production batch will come will a limited edition art book and music CD.

A sample of the art book can be found here. The book will feature imagery from the game, as well as a brand new piece of art for the North American audience crafted by illustrator Alexandra Douglass.

The “Rough Drafts & Outtakes” CD is made up of early arrangements composed by Yuzo Koshiro along with tracks that did not make it into the final game.

Atlus has also confirmed that Etrian Odyssey IV will be available on the eShop when it launches next year.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Kanos posted:

EO is also pretty different from most first person dungeon crawls. Typical members of the genre are more like Dark Spire, i.e. having much more of a focus on puzzle-solving with combat being something of a simplistic afterthought. EO ditches all but the most basic of puzzle solving(finding out how to get from point A to point B) in favor of a really deep and tightly tuned combat system with a lot of options.

The bonus stratum amps up the puzzle solving a lot more. They tend to save the crazy hard stuff for there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Oh god decisions. Do I download it and always have it with me, or preorder for a sweet artbook and CD? :ohdear:

• Locked thread