Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ya know, I have no idea why I love these games so much. I'm completely, 100% terrible at them. 3 was especially bad since they removed all the guys I had a good idea how to use, and then threw in no truly amazing healing class. I beat the game once, taking the Yggdroid route, and got far enough to see the Shogun in NG+, but when it hit the 'time to grind' point again, I gave up.

Never beaten all the quests, never beaten any of the dragons, never beat any true final boss. I think I at least got to the true final boss of at least 1, maybe even 2, I can't recall. But at that point the game basically requires one single party makeup with one single moveset that it just isn't fun anymore. You essentially have to make an entirely new party and grind the night away to succeed, along with following a guide so you know the one god drat way to use your skills in order to win. I dunno if 3's was the same, I never looked up a FAQ for the true final boss on that one. It's dumb, though. Lemme beat the game with the party I've got, dammit. If my party makeup is strong, I should at least have a chance at winning...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TurnipFritter posted:

EO4 has this neat little feature where you get items to raise a character's level when you unlock a new class: When you unlock the Mystic class, you get two Ancient Sutras, which will let you raise a character's level up to 25 (which is Veteran-tier). It's a neat way to encourage you to experiment with different classes without having to stop everything and grind for several hours just to get them up to par.

EO4 also has subclassing, but from what I've heard there's a greater emphasis on the "sub" part. Subclass abilities only go up to half their maximum value.

Totally love both of those things. Subclassing kinda overwhelmed me in 3. I never really knew what meshed well together or how to use it all to its fullest, but I felt underpowered just staying in my main class' skills, ya know?

Being able to boost a character up is wonderful. I understand these games being for the hardcore crowd, and that's fine, but getting a few bones thrown our way from time to time is still appreciated.

There are two things I really adore about the series, almost moreso than the gameplay itself, which I understand is completely weird. One is the music. I think entering the fifth stratum in the first game and being hit by this tune was one of my favorite moments in the series. The other is the cartography. How's the mapping this time around? Do we get a few more floor colors? Three had what, blue/green, red, and yellow? Or was that 2? It's been awhile since I've played.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

crazkylo posted:

You guys are making me feel bad about wanting to beat the first. I'm only on the 3ed floor, should I just say forget it and plug in the second game instead?

You must continue at least until you've gotten to the last boss. If for no other reason than Ren and Tlachtga are awesome. And so is the fifth stratum music. Also, 1's the easiest of the three because some skills are completely broken. It wasn't until that fight that I realized Ren had long hair, it's just colored/shaded really strangely.

The best advice I can give for people wanting to fully beat these games is to go look up what very-specific lineup of classes and skills you'll need to beat the true final boss of each game. Best to just run it from the start than having to grind your way up to it afterwards.

Also, for anyone thinking of starting with 3, I suggest doing this for the third stratum fight. You'll need the anti-cold equivalent at a certain level or you straight up will not beat that fight. I had more trouble there than anywhere else in that game.

On that note, what do you guys think is the hardest fight in each of the games? And the most fun?

2's got a lot of really mean parts, compounded by the fact that FOEs stupidly do not give EXP in that game so having to redo your team is terrible. The one I usually get hung up on is the lady with her old gunner friend. Beast and the Harlot there wreck me every time. Colossus was a real pisser of a fight too, as I recall. It's been awhile so I can't exactly recall why, though.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm kinda sad that no one's done a speed run/TAS of these games. You'd think a TAS would be interesting with the luck manipulation possibilities. And a speed run would definitely require a ton of skill. SDA has runs that are like 10+ hours long, right? I fail to see how someone with knowledge of where to go and what to do would turn in something longer than that.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I know this is mostly an OCD thing, but I hope at least a few of you guys also do it. When you start a new game and, for about the first two floors, everyone remains alive in combat... and then you finally hit that one battle someone doesn't make it through. Which then makes the XP bars uneven for the team, so one guy's lagging behind.

Restarted 1, thinking maybe I could beat at least one of these fully by the time 4 comes out. I've gotten to Ur-Child before, but never put together a team to kill it. I'd reached floor 3, but I wanted to get to the Nectar in the lower part of floor 2. And in dealing with the Ragelope blocking the way, my Alchemist died. So then four XP bars went up and his remained still. And I know it's inevitable! You can't never die! But there's still always that moment of 'god dammit, there they went :mad:' when it happens.

Going for Allslash, Defender, and Apollon right at the start makes dealing with Ragelopes tough. My guys really have nothing but the Alchemist's Fire to do major damage to things. Makes Fenrir a fuckin' bitch, but up until him, it's slow, careful going.

What two spell schools are most useful in 1? I figure eventually I'll have a reasonable amount of points in all the non-poison groups, but I'm not sure which to focus on after Fire. I'm about two points from opening Inferno. Should I bother beefing it up any, or should I primarily focus on single-target spells?

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't know any of that. Thinking back, it makes a few things suddenly make a lot more sense, though. That's just mean.

Speaking of, finally got back to 1 last night. I forgot what a wall the third floor is. First floor's not bad if you have someone who can ignite the crabs. Second floor isn't bad if you can kill the poison moths in 1 turn. Third floor? Third floor you're gonna be taking hits in constantly and there's not a lot you can do until you reach Tlachtga and gain a free healing spot so you can stay down there and grind the night away.

Just a buncha big, empty rooms, mazelike corridors, and Rollers, that floor is. And a lot of it's the way I built my team. My Warrior's about three levels from unlocking Allslash, my Protector's a couple points into Defender, my Medic's got Salve open and is a few levels from Revive (thank god), my Survivalist just got Apollon, and I put one level in Inferno just to help out on big groups on my Alchemist.

Not a lot of combat skills. Mostly all prepwork to make Fenrir a cake walk. But hey, answer me somethin' - is it worth it to put any points into an Alchemist's second single-target spell? Or should I just beef up the first ones and then maybe throw a point into the target-all version? The second ones always felt like they did too little damage for too great a TP cost. I don't think I've ever used them.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I hope to one day meet the person who implemented the 'stay on floor X for Y days' quests so I can punch 'em in the junk. There's no skill to it, you just bop around in the healing spring room for like 45 minutes.

Maybe my brain's just blocked them out, but didn't 2 and 3 also have those? With similar 'stay in/near the healing zone' things?

Come to think of it, I've blocked out a lot about EO2. I remember a lot of stuff from 3, and I'm remembering a lot from 1 since I'm replaying it, but I barely remember anything about 2. Except for the fact that the Defender/Immunize combo is gone, that Eschaton is totally awesome, and wondering if replacing a Protector with a Panda was wise.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Good god, the quality of life changes are amazing. A map that automatically follows you smoothly instead of jumping from one area to the next, being able to move around the map without messing up your position, tabbed shop menus and the ability to see what you need to make everything, FOEs have auras so you can tell at a glance if they're going to decimate your party or if you have a fighting chance, skill trees are much, much nicer...

I only just got the skyship and did a little flying around before deciding to take a break. Totally loving the changes so far. I wonder which person on the translation team has a thing for accents, because the shopkeeper here talks just like Labrys did in Persona 4 Arena. Fits her character and basically makes her twice as awesome.

Gonna be a long month! I'll definitely fiddle around with different party builds during the demo to see what feels good before the release. Having a demo that only lets you play 30 times is kinda silly, but that's Nintendo for ya.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Does EO4 have NG+? I would assume so, since 3 did, but I don't think I've seen anything one way or the other so far.

Battlefield: Storm is such a good combat theme. To the point where it feels like it was written to be boss music, but they made something cooler as boss music, so they just bumped it down to be the normal fighting tune you get. High energy music for regular combat is great.

Anyone been able to take down any of the FOEs yet? Only thing I've tried fighting were the baboons in the mini-dungeon at the start. That wasn't smart. Things were tougher than I thought they'd be, considering. Ragelopes could be taken down around L5-7 if you had your poo poo together. Not sure those things could be. Not even taken a crack at the bears or the kangaroos.

What's with the mini-dungeon's subtitle? It was something about wings, which is weird. Wonder if one of the optional/super bosses pops up in there later on...

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Etrian Odyssey 4: I gotta lady boner harder dan steel for dat stuff!

Oh Atlus. :allears:

I dunno which member of the staff at Atlus has a Brooklyn accent fetish, but I love them. Everything the shop girl says I read in Labrys' voice.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
God, Nightseekers are loving worthless, aren't they? Can't stay alive for anything. Was trying N/F S/M/R but god drat. I've spent more money on reviving the Nightseeker than I have buying gear at the store. Doesn't seem to matter what equipment I give the useless brat, he still dies in 1-2 hits from anything. It's a shame the Landsknecht is so damned bland. Played for about two hours and I feel like restarting is better than trying to start a Landshark now and have the group's levels be so imbalanced.

Dunno what I was expecting. They're Dark Hunters in all but name, and those guys were completely useless and couldn't take a hit, either. The utility you get out of their skills is meaningless if they can't stay alive.

Oh well. Load up a swordman and go grind for an hour. What fun.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Any tips for the Floor 3 boss?

I can get him near red pretty easily but then he just goes berserk (:v:) and proceeds to rampage and one shot my medic, sniper, and runemaster, and then takes out my fortress and nightseeker in the next couple turns. It's not even the charge up attack that's giving me issues (I can consistently flinch him out of it) just his usual multi hit one. My party is around level 15ish, if that's the issue. I also for the life of me cannot land binds or anything other than blind on him too.

Wait until he gets close to that point then throw all your arm binds at him. I hit one early on and it kept for the majority of the fight. He basically couldn't do a single attack to anyone. It kinda made him a total pushover, to be honest.

Also hey, did they change how Landsnack's link skills work? In the demo, I coulda swore you used it, then picked the ally it was gonna trigger the elemental attack on. Here, it just picks one and goes, which is way better.

Also Jesus loving Christ, I got the ore that lets your skyship ascend. I was going around the first area, mapping my happy little heart out, when all of a sudden a red dragon appears and starts puttering around the map, dropping items on the ground. Unfortunately, I wasn't paying attention and ran into a tornado, so I lost whatever it was I picked up. What do those do, and how do you trigger the guy? Is it just random as you're flying around on level 2 of a map?

Whatever the case, fucker scared the poo poo outta me. You know you're in trouble when the game busts out custom icons for things.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Weeeelp, just answered my own question as to whether or not you're safe from the god drat super dragons if you fly low. You are not! Golden bastard smashed my airship. No combat at all. It went over me as I tried grabbing the items it was dropping, it headbutted my skyship, and that was that.

There's gotta be something that triggers them. I'm guessing being in the sky a certain number of spaces. I was mapping area 2 out and was hovering up to map out the ground to avoid the sheep FOEs.

The warnings you get for them are terrifying!

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zurai posted:

I'm not using a full Arcanist, but I did subclass my Medic to Arcanist, mostly because she generally had absolutely nothing to do on most of her turns. I maxed out just the paralyze circle and the passive healing when a circle is up skill and she's been invaluable even against the 3rd stratum boss. The passive healing fixes up non-lethal damage as long as I can keep a full-party attack from hitting two turns in a row, and even just 4 points in the paralyze circle got it to land and stick for several turns on the boss.

I'll be doing similar once I open subclassing. I had a Lightning Ring on my Medic for awhile, so he could spam Lightning Rune when he didn't need to heal. Haven't decided if I want to sub Arcanist or Dancer, though. Dancer seems like it'd be more fun, Arcanist more useful.

Thinking about it, might sub my drat Fortress to Arcanist. Aside from not-Defender and not-Immunize, she doesn't use much TP. I haven't bothered with the ally-cover abilities. What works well as a Fort sub?

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zurai posted:

Second boss spoilers:

Yeah, I didn't need to do any of that mess. The boss went down like a chump, it just took awhile. It wasn't hard to hit even when I didn't have it bound. To the point where I ended up hitting L and grabbing a drink during the last few turns. It posed absolutely zero threat to anyone at any point. If a boss summons adds, you DPS them down and move on. When all four are gone, it doesn't seem like it resummons them. That or I just got incredibly lucky. But even when it did, all they ever did was Cover the boss and heal it for like... 110. Which was nothing.

With Wufan lowering defense and keeping everyone poisoned the entire fight, my tier 1 fire spell was doing ~250 damage a turn. Double Strike was doing around 180. And any time my Sniper used a bind skill, it was around that much, as well.

tl;dr: Second boss is a chump.

First boss was a chump, too. Seems to be a running theme and I kinda hate it. Before, bosses were something that'd hang you up for awhile and make you think about what skills you had and what you'd need. Both here and with the forest boss, I just went in and beat them both first try. That shouldn't happen. On one hand, it's good in that it doesn't kill your momentum, on the other, these bosses don't feel climactic in any way.

Also not a fan of the labyrinths being separated and really, really short. Kinda ruins the flow of things as far as I'm concerned. Yeah, there are lots of mini dungeons around, but so what? They're never interesting. I'd rather it be the one giant labyrinth than a mess of smaller ones. At least the game got its teleport-maze dungeon out of the way early. I still have nightmares from the fourth stratum in 1.

Hopefully I unlock subclassing soon. Not sure I want to devote a whole slot specifically to an Arcanist, but Wufan really made the second labyrinth boss a complete joke, so I want in on that. Think I'll do F/D and M/A, but that still leaves L/S/R undecided. I've puttered around the main dungeon in the third area just a bit, but didn't get too far past all the Digimon running around. Roughly how far 'til subbing opens?

And do the scrolls you get from beating labyrinth 2 just give you a free level-up?

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Took awhile, but I finally figured out how to get through in the third labyrinth. Unlocking subclasses was the hypest poo poo. That was way cooler than in 3. Everything surrounding that point was pretty rad. You get back to town and everyone's super excited to see you and you get all this cool poo poo. But uh... yeeeah, it's become almost comically obvious that Whirlwind's gonna be the Big Bad.

Also, those turtles are fuckers! Get outta my way, you sliding bastards, I've got things to do! :argh:

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Man, that return trip to the starter dungeon to kill baboons was no fuckin' joke. I figured it'd have to be tougher than it appeared due to the extra Burst slot, but holy hell I wasn't expecting it to be that tough. I was around half TP anyway on everyone but the Medic and Runemaster, so when the boss baboon rolled out as I returned to my skyship, I knew it wasn't gonna be easy. Giving the bastard summons that heal him was a dick move. I beat him, but my crew was in bad, bad shape.

Star Fall's pretty rad. But I kinda like having Analyze on hand just for the convenience of it. Having just unlocked subclasses and such, I'm about midway into the third labyrinth. How many areas are there total? It seems like I shouldn't be blazing through the game this fast. And what Burst skills are/were you guys using at this stage of the game? I've got the bonus XP one, the escape one, Star Fall, and Analyze.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What the hell do you have to do to finish the Medicinal Poison quest? I've been all over Toxic Cave, I've tried poking around in the spit the FOEs make, I've tried beating the FOEs themselves, I've looked at every square in the place, and there's nothing to take back. Do you have to try and make them spit at somewhere specific?

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

PirateNipple posted:

Are there any recommended Let's Plays of EO1-3? I see a goon-done screenshot LP of 1 but I'm looking for video LPs that aren't done by annoying people trying too hard to be funny.

Not any video LPs by any English-speaking people I've watched, but I know of one on Niconico that did a fairly good job. It's pretty rough early on until he gets into the swing of things and how to set up both screens in a decent way. But he had some of the craziest moments I've seen, including what had to be the most insane god drat Colossus fight ever.

His LP of 3 is a bit off, though. He went on a year-long hiatus, but came back to it and resumed until the end of 2012. Haven't checked to see if he's beaten it fully, but he's well into the 3rd NG+, so he's en route to the true ending, at least.

I don't really think knowing Japanese is too important, since most of the amusing stuff that happens is in combat.

Playlist for EO1
Playlist for EO2
Playlist for EO3

Honestly, I'd recommend starting with 2 or 3 and going back to 1 if you have to. By 2, he's generally got everything set up in a good way. The only thing you're really missing is the character naming. The guys he makes in 1 are the names he'll keep using in 2/3.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Is it some unwritten rule that the third stratum in each game has to be teeth-grindingly frustrating? Because this Ice Stake poo poo's for the birds. Just lemme get to the third floor already, god dammit. Nooo, gotta go collecting Ice Stakes and figure out how to destroy all the giant fire things, which also respawn after a certain point so you have to do it all over again!

Whose idea of fun is that? I wanna be beating up a boss with my new cow-man friend, not pickin' flowers!

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Too many weapon conflicts = Fewer interesting subclass options.

I didn't want to take the Imperial the story gave me, but there's not much I can do with a Landsknecht base. Power/Mind Break are still available, at least. If the thought of grinding a new team didn't make me flinch, and if Monster Hunter wasn't right around the corner, I'd probably start up a fresh group of guys instead of trying to work out how to make this team interesting.

As is, I've got L/I, F/D in front and S/A, M/A, and R/M in back. But the Dancer sub isn't doing much of anything for my Fortress, I've got the two debuffs and Poison Circle on the Medic, the Runemaster was subbed Medic just for lack of anything else to stick on it. Figured I could at least get the TP boost and some extra points into Origin Rune out of it.

Fourth labyrinth was completely forgettable and boring, but at least it didn't have any scales, which automatically puts it over the 3rd. I'm kinda digging the fifth labyrinth's gimmick of returning, but that means a 3rd Labyrinth section, too. Hopefully it'll be less annoying than the rest of the dungeon was. Just... tell me I don't have to poke into the main dungeon and tap all three master scales. The return trip into there has to have its own master scales... right? :ohdear:

If I did start a new team - and I'm just anal enough that I'd do a full five-man reboot to keep levels in-line - what would be a good Imperial sub? I can't seem to hit a god drat thing with my L/I, so Nightseeker or Dancer? Maybe F/B? I didn't care much for the Rage gimmick, but there's gotta be something there, surely.

What the hell do you sub a Runemaster in, though?

E: vvv What weapon should I be running on an R/I? Staff or drive blade?

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 11, 2013

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What the hell are you supposed to loving do for this stupid Water Mark quest? I've tried flying directly to the coordinates listed, I've tried following the cliff, and every time I get to B5, the count resets to 0 and I have to start all over again. This makes no sense whatsoever. None. I dunno if that's due to the translation or whether this is just a badly-designed quest. I'd believe both at this point.

E: vvv Yeah, that doesn't actually help. I've been flying all over this place for 15 minutes and I'm not progressing past '2.' Following the cliff from the starting point on the third height, you reach an area with a mantis FOE that has two points on it. Both reset the count to 0 and there are no more points further along.

Hell with it, I'll look around for a map for the correct route. Too tired to parse this right now.

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 11, 2013

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The second boss of the fifth labyrinth is really poorly-designed. I died purely because I didn't have a few extra Amrita IIIs or potions. Had my Runemaster spamming Sharp/Impulse Edge to regain enough TP for Origin Rune, but it took 3-4 turns to get up that high. Especially since I had to make sure I had 10TP leftover to use the Imperial skills afterwards.

Worst part? I almost loving had it. Literally, if I'd had two more turns, I would've won. If I would've had a single healing item more so the Runemaster could've stayed topped off, one more Origin Rune would've done it.

If the Heavenbringer wasn't constantly regenerating, it would be a cakewalk. That doesn't make the fight hard, it makes it long. Those are two very different things. It doesn't have any skills that are actually a problem. None of its elemental skills do more than 30-50 a hit, it only has single target ailment spells, and the big multiturn prayer attack takes maybe half my team's life away. It's not a matter of doing enough damage - I have a TP battery with those Imperial Skills - it's a matter of just keeping healed. That's lazy boss design because it means you can literally beat it by bringing a few extra potions and grabbing a drink before you settle in for the 45 minute snoozefest.

The storyline boss fights in the previous 3 were all way better than this. They were also much more interesting than this. Even 1, where you could basically shut him down completely with Immunize. 2's was probably the most exciting, just because you really had to work for that win. Here? Ah, grind Amrita mats for an hour, bring an extra Madora or two, and put a movie on as background noise. You can throw anything at the boss and you'll be fine. You don't even need defense buffs, he does so little damage!

Don't even have Amrita IIIs in the store. Can you even make them before the final dungeon? I'm fine with doing the grinding, boring though it is, I just want to actually beat the dumb thing next time.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zurai posted:

It sounds like you were vastly over-leveled to me. The boss is much more dangerous than you describe, normally.

I dunno. I'm just at L50 for all my party. Kept my armors up to snuff and I've done all the quests up to this point, save for the one that requires me to get into that area in labyrinth five. Never found a second door in and after I got hit with arrows, I didn't think it was smart to try entering the first door.

That's the good part of EO, though. Lotta times, you can just overlevel a boss. Granted, it only works to a point, but it's doable for the storyline boss.

You guys seem like you had way better luck with the RNG than I did, though. He must've regenerated his arms about 7, 8 times before he finally killed me. I tried only taking one arm out and keeping the other tied up, but that doesn't matter. He'll still regen even if he's only missing one. Loading up on Amrita IIs and other such things. Gonna try getting into the area in labyrinth 5.

What's a good food to pick going into that fight? Elemental resistance, maybe? Does his big attack have a type?

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Jeez, yeah, I just got supremely unlucky with the RNG that first time. Second attempt at killing the storyline final boss went over far better. And far quicker. It helped that I actually knew what would happen, of course. Unloaded on the mask, saved my big spells for when it was open, and only had to deal with 2 regens.

How often do the legendary ingredients respawn? I kinda went exploring right away and picked up what I guess were two of them before I took the mission.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Sarchasm posted:

I feel like I've missed something obvious, but can someone tell me how to get to the east side of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th lands? It's driving me crazy having an undiscovered bit of land.

Won't be able to reach it until the post-game, I'm afraid. Nothing up there but a bunch of boss fights, the last of the ingredients, and an rear end in a top hat bird FOE. And the sixth labyrinth. Keep on truckin', you'll get there once you beat the main story!

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ice dragon's an rear end in a top hat. I've beaten the other two, but he just keeps kicking my poo poo in. Lowest I've gotten him was about half. Keeps getting Absolute Zero spam happy with me. :mad: Storm Emperor got dangerous toward the end, but I put him down in one try. This guy's a jerk. What's the recommended level for him?

Sixth labyrinth is weird. And kinda dumb. I really hate warping dungeons just because I'm never quite sure how to mark them on the map. I use the number icons, but there's more than 10 warps. So I move to the symbols. But there are more than those as well. Gimme a set of linked tiles I can set a custom color on. That'd solve it.

Still haven't found the stairs, either. I've not got a lot of map left to explore, so I'm close. Just a matter of figuring out where and what the best route to it is.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Meiteron posted:

If it's the first time you're fighting it then Kirjonen should be helping you which means really there's no excuse to not have ice rune and element guard up all the time. With both of those and the ice resist food you should be hitting the resistance cap for ice damage. Blizzard King was the first dragon I killed as well, just because you can set up pretty easily to shrug off most of his attacks through sheer defense buffing.

Of course, if you're doing it with just your own 5 guys you might need ice mists, or to come back with a few more levels under your belt.

Neither Kirjonen nor.. uh... Wiglaf was her name? Neither of them helped out at all. They both tried challenging the dragons on their own before I got there and got wrecked, so they both sent me on ahead. The only time I got a wingman was during the Great Dragon fight. The Prince was wrecking poo poo with his ice skill.

There a timed element to these and I just skipped it by not rushing out to do them immediately?

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

J posted:

Assuming you have the quests to kill the dragons, right? If you do then one of your bros should have their airship sitting there next to the dragon that you can talk to to initiate the fight with their help. If you just fly into the dragon you'll fight them with just your 5 party members. If you have the quest to kill it, and there's no airship next to it, then I don't know what the gently caress. I don't think there is any timed element, I messed around a fair amount before killing them.

The airships are there, but when I talk to them both Kirjonen and Wiglaf are all "Aw man I tried soloing that thing and it slapped my poo poo" and they don't even offer to join up. I have the kill quests, but they just ain't havin' it.

Storm Emperor I did pretty quick, too. But I'd flown through the zone a couple times by then. I dunno, maybe if you take the quest then don't do it for a few days you miss your chance for a guest member. I've tried talking to them a couple times, but they just give me encouraging words and tell me to go on ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Jesus, going from Untold straight back to 2 is rough.

What's a good team composition for 2, anyway? I haven't played it since it came out, so I really don't remember much outside of not caring much for my Panda buddy's skills and getting to but not killing Ur-Child. I think I tried rolling in with the team I cheesed the original with (LSPAM) so I'd like to change as much as I can. Would a Ronin, DH, Magus / Hexer, Gunner team do okay? If so, what skills should I focus on?

• Locked thread