Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
The skill set for the new game is very impressive. I love how they took all the best powers from EO3 and spread them around between the classes. Well except clone, but that power was too good for this world.

I think the major thing that disappoints me about casual mode is that it doesn't include full automapping (as far as I can tell). I have a couple of friends who I got really excited about the series until I said, "And you get to map all the levels yourself using the touchscreen!"

Edit:
It also seems that the combat rows are more of a focus in EO 4. I had read that it no longer takes a turn to switch places. So for instance, the dancer can switch who they are healing/buffing each round without using their action.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Shwqa posted:

How does that one work?

You run it with a shogun/buccaneer and then max warrior's might. Personally I went with an Arbalist/Shogun instead because of giant slayer.

Edit: Of course you need that dragon forged sword for the final postgame boss, and that means Gladiator/Shogun. I never got that far.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 11, 2012

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Rangpur posted:

Meanwhile, a prince/ess in the back row stays undamaged longer, letting Royal Veil regenerate the party's HP every turn for free.

Point of :spergin: order,

While the back row is targeted a lot less often, the AI prefers to target the person within a row with the most HP, so the princess is actually less likely to be hit if she is in the front row with someone that has more HP than her than if she is in the back row.

I don't actually remember how high Wildling HP is, it's possible that it's higher than the princess, in which case, by all means put her in the back row.

That's really much more of a defensive party than I like, but I understand why you would choose it.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

In late maingame EO3 I decided to go with a TP conservation party. There were two cornerstone characters in the party.

The first was a ninja princess who could buff a row for 1 TP while healing them for 42 each. I went ahead and maxed Royal Veil on them even though it's generally a weak skill because it played into the cheap healing scheme.

Now that's pretty good, but you also need a way to do ridiculous amounts of damage without TP. That's where the Shogun Buccaneer comes in. Attack up to eight times a round with max limit boost. Then you can activate lethal limit at the beginning of every combat, so he's doing eight critical hits instead. (Of course, the Sho/Buc is also a perfect setup for Warrior's Might if you happen to be fighting a boss.)

To be fair to the rest of the team though, the gladiator and the arbalist were both dealing plenty of damage with attack order and lethal order on all the time too.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

ChibiSoma posted:

Also, for anyone thinking of starting with 3, I suggest doing this for the third stratum fight. You'll need the anti-cold equivalent at a certain level or you straight up will not beat that fight. I had more trouble there than anywhere else in that game.

You can get an aegis limit right before this fight actually, so you can also run a buccaneer that is dedicated purely to limit boost to get through. That's what I did.

ChibiSoma posted:

On that note, what do you guys think is the hardest fight in each of the games? And the most fun?

The first game I gave up on the fourth stratum boss due to my stubborn refusal to run an alchemist (combined with the lovely farming in that game). But I don't think that really counts. I've always been disappointed that I never got to see the fifth stratum which sounded really cool.

Now the third game I beat all three ways so I would have to say that besides the obvious postgame bosses the most difficult/fun boss was Ocean Master Ketos at the end of the second stratum. I actually also liked both of the "bad ending" bosses a lot too.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

TurnipFritter posted:

as well as a brand new piece of art for the North American audience crafted by illustrator Alexandra Douglass.

I was already impossibly excited for this game. Now I'm worried I'm going to have a heart attack.

Edit:

Dinky Duck Race posted:

My favorite dick thing in 3 is when you go into what of the larger areas you need a key for, find your old friend the Venomfly, get poisoned after the game has phased it out for plague, then end the turn and take a 350 damage tick.

I laughed pretty hard the first time this happened to me.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Rangpur posted:

In related news, what level party are y'all rolling with when it comes to fighting the Abyssal God?

I never spent the time to get this far, but the impression I had was that the only valid strategy was to build a party that could be setup so that they could do 75% of its health in damage in two turns.

You can actually fight it fairly after it randomizes?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

theshim posted:

For the uneducated, the Arbalist's class skill boosts damage by a ridiculous 55% against enemies with more than twice your health - i.e. pretty much everything.

The best part about Arbilist is that by the third or fourth strata you're just giant killing all the time as enemy HP growth (and party damage) outpaces party HP growth. I took my Arbilist because I thought she'd be a good boss killer but she absolutely murdered trash too.

Edit:

TurnipFritter posted:

I'm actually running a Shogun/Buccaneer with Swashbuckle. He can't really do anything else except Swashbuckle, but that plus a couple of poison-hammered katanas helps bring the pain.

Don't forget to take limit boost. This sort of build is what it's there for.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 25, 2012

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Always check the alternate colors.

I mean they're still terrifying, but slightly better.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Bellmaker posted:

The only thing that stuck out to me, it looks like the Medic can make permanent(?) stat-boosters/effects? Seems kinda ridiculous, did EO3 have anything like that?

It's probably not permanent.

Every class has a power that boosts food effects, the medic's is the one that reduces the penalties rather than boosting the effects. Another one of the classes power suggests that food is made from ingredients farmed on the world map.

From the skill list, I think the coolest medic powers are the ones that cause the medic to have a chance to heal or revive automatically without spending their action.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Magypsy posted:

Prince:
Monk:
Hoplite:
Arbalist:
Zodiac:

You don't need to worry too much about whether you are ruining your party due to the generosity of rest and retire.

That being said let me offer some advice on the classes I know.

First arbalist: Take Giant Kill. Go ahead and spend 10 levels on it. It basically boosts your arbalist's damage output to 150% for the majority of the game.

Then prince: You are building prince correctly. You are also correct that prince slowly turns from amazing to mediocre. For instance, Royal Veil is great until enemies start attacking everyone at once. Fortunately by the time Prince starts slowing down you gain a wealth of more options to add to him.

Here's some more specific build advice for prince. Max Royal Veil, and boost Monarch March to whatever makes you feel comfortable. Then max Reinforce. (This is why I said you were building him correctly.)*

Since you are running blind I would probably boost Attack and Guard Order to level 5 each. This will allow you to access all of the prince's many options on demand. Suddenly need Prevent Order, Ad Nihilo, or an element your zodiac doesn't specialize in? Good news, all of those things are now exactly one level away.

Edit: *Actually there's probably a valid build that involves ignoring all the healing skills and just taking buffs but I can't imagine going that direction.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 12, 2013

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Bellmaker posted:

The Dancer trailer got put up today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4brdP0METoU

Looks pretty awesome, a troubadourish character that can hang on the front line.

Is the dancer chasing himself or is there more than one dancer in that party?
Anyway I loved the prince, and I'm gonna love the dancer because it's prince + buccaneer.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

There's one more subtle detail to clarify.

I felt that it is implied that the Progenitor wanted to live in peace with humanity. (Recall that he asks you whether you believe this is possible when you meet him.) The reason he sacrificed his power was to avoid being consumed the blood lust caused by it.

The further implication is that the source of the deep ones conflict is that they were forced into servitude to the postgame Abyssal God, and that the Progenitor's real desire is that someone would be able to destroy it. When you defeat him he identifies this as a sign that you are the ones capable of such a feat.

Well, I hope this makes sense as it relies on some interpretation on my part.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

DrManiac posted:

Is the map from the QR code supposed to do anything in the demo?

The map is a joke reference to a spoiler from a different game in the series, so I'm thinking it doesn't do anything but sell.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Prism posted:

If they start a dance, and then switch rows while it's going, does the dance follow them to the new row or does it keep targeting the one they left?

Dances are applied as buffs to the dancer themselves (and no one else). So the effect immediately switches rows with the dancer.

As an added bonus, that means that dances take up fewer buff slots than orders/songs did in previous games.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Zurai posted:

Dancers can heal, although they don't get the really nice passive healing. Mystics also get healing abilities once you unlock them. I've heard of people doing the Japanese version of EO4 without either Fortresses OR Medics, so it's doable.

I think the key to making it to the mystic unlock without going insane will probably be clever use of Landsknecht first aid.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Francis posted:

After playing Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem, and the demo for this game, I'm so loving tired of overbearing localization that feels like it has to juice up every bit of dialogue with a dumb joke or wacky accent.

Dragon Quest 3 had atrocious accents and it sure as hell wasn't the fault of the translation team.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Kanos posted:

EO is different from other dungeon crawlers in that instead of being a puzzle-based game where you sometimes have to fight guys along the way, it's a fighting-based game where the puzzle is figuring out how to beat monsters effectively. You're basically cutting the fun part out of a game like Final Fantasy Tactics and retrofitting it into another genre and it's loving awesome. Other dungeon crawlers like Wizardry and Might and Magic basically have party construction as a vague afterthought because combat is really secondary. Here it's front and center.

I feel like this should be in the OP. This describes exactly why I love Etrian Odyssey.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Gyoru posted:

Noticed a "Favorite subjobs" section on the Japanese EO4 wiki.

Seems pretty straight forward to me. The only number one I don't immediately understand is fortress/dancer.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Wait a minute. How big is the art book?

Fedex claims that Amazon is shipping my game in a 6 inch box.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

pixaal posted:

The "artbook" is nothing really its just the CD case with like 3-4 pages of concept art. Remember its a preorder bonus not a collectors edition thing. Its ever so slightly larger then the game case or they could have included it in that (the only reason its bigger is probably because of the CD)

That's fine with me. I was concerned because the preorder bonus for EO3 was the size of a magazine.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Aerofallosov posted:

Wow, that's handy, thank you. It helps because I'm incredibly indecisive and kind of want one of each class...

Also, when you beat the second land you get two items that allow you to boost any character's level to 25. Which is exactly how many you need to get the classes you haven't been playing into the game.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Living One Post at a Time posted:

Whats the typical turn order for a linksknecht supposed to be? Here is my typical FOE/boss battle (lvl 42, no subclass):

Turn 1: Power Break
Turn 2: Vanguard
Turn 3: Improved Link
Turn 4: Link
Turn 5: Power Break
Turn 6: Link
Turn 7: Vanguard
Turn 8: Improved Link
Turn 9: Power Break
Turn 10-11: Link

If Vanguard isn't up the Links don't trigger, if Improved Link isn't up the links do less damage than Double Strike, Power Break keeps me alive. That's pretty bad output compared to the rest of my party.

If debuffs extend duration like buffs, (which I think they do) it should probably look like this.

1. Power Break (PB3)
2. Power Break (PB5)
3. Vanguard (PB4, V5)
4. Link Boost (PB3, V4, LB3)
5. Link (PB2, V3, LB2)
6. Link (PB1, V2, LB1)
7. Link (PB0, V1, LB0)
8. Return to Step 1, (except this time you have vanguard on this hit.)

Edit: You know taking a subclass gives you five skill points for free right?

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 4, 2013

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Zurai posted:

I could swear there was a way to see it in EO3, but I havn't figured out a way to here. Anyway, debuffs DO extend duration to a maximum of 9 rounds just like buffs do. If you try to use Eagle Eye twice in a row, for example, it'll say "Eagle Eye's duration on the enemy is extended!".

Yeah, I was going to say that it uses exactly the same wording as when you layer a buff.

Filthy Monkey posted:

I wish there were a way to see debuffs on enemies like you can see buffs on your party.

I'm pretty sure there isn't. Which is going to a real bitch if I build a party up with more than 3 debuff layers.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

yaoi prophet posted:

Doesn't that imply that poison/blind/whatever weapons are bad since they can overwrite statuses with ones you don't want?

Weapon effects only proc on normal attacks.

I use a status weapon on my nightseeker with the knowledge that if I'm going to normal attack it means either A: I'm trying to conserve TP, or B: I don't care what status the enemy has as long as my dude is doing his bonus damage.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

It seems you can only have one arcanist. Should I sub my nightseeker or my sniper as arcanist?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

Well, not if they're subbed to a Nightseeker and a Sniper, neither of which will ever actually cast a Circle :getin:

Actually since my guild is level 28, I'm going to go ahead and use circles for the next 12 levels.

Zurai posted:

You can have as many arcanists as you want. Why would you think otherwise?

Because I intended to use their active skills and not just their passives.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Mar 6, 2013

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Sacrificial Toast posted:

I wonder if Landshark/Fortress would do alright as a sometimes-Tank, and let me throw some more damage in. I already dropped the primary medic for an Arcanist/Medic because she was just wasting turns most of the time, but I've only ever used fairly traditional parties in these games to be honest. Maybe I just need to go all out and drop the Fortress entirely.

Worked fine in 3, the main issue in 4 looks to be that it will dampen their natural synergy for party damage boosting with vanguard.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I have a question about the boss of maze 3, If I bust the master scale does the boss replace it as soon as I leave or can I mess around for awhile (read: sleep at the inn) and farm the cold mining items before he does?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

the_steve posted:

What should I be looking for in gear?
Current party is low-teens:
Landschnekt (emphasis on elemental links)
Sniper (emphasis on Binds)

I have both of these, so here's my advice.

Sniper is very TP intensive especially if you abuse binds on trash like I do. I recommend using the 'Dragon' item for the latest land (you get these from trading with Wiglaf) as it will maximize the sniper's TP.

Landsknecht has two modes. You always want to hit that bonus, so they should start out real light with equipment, boots and a rapier, whatever gets them acting first.
Eventually you'll fall behind, but by that time you can have vanguard and initiative set up. Slap two points in link mastery, and then switch to the heaviest equipment you can buy. Then use vanguard every single battle.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

theshim posted:

Head Binds...I think lower accuracy, but I might be horribly off?

No, head binds reduce TEC, which usually doesn't matter because most magic attack skills require the enemy to use their head anyway. The one time I've noticed that it's effect is with the Dancer's Regen Dance, it's a leg move, but the healing value is based on the Dancer's current TEC.

The types of moves that leg bind prevents are any where the enemy body-checks you, which includes things like the War Bison's Rampage and Forest Frog's Jump. Also dances, of course.

Edit:

Zurai posted:

There are some postgame boss abilities that aren't stopped by any binds, but so far I've only seen the one enemy with anything like that.

Haven't seen this thing yet, but based on previous games I can only assume that this makes perfect sense because it has evolved past the need for body parts.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 11, 2013

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

maketakunai posted:

e: Does Vanguard damage boost work on the links' chase attack?

Link damage is based solely on the original damage done by the Landsknecht's first attack. So, yes.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Ha ha ha, I hit Logre so hard I fixed his hair.

Too bad for him that was the only battle auto-revive kicked in every time I needed it.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

All my squishies are getting murdered by the 4th boss. What level were you guys at when you beat him? I may be underleveled due to the nature of the fourth stratum puzzles.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Zurai posted:

I was pretty much dead even with the guest as far as levels for that fight. Remember that he always follows a * Mixer attack with turning his head, so you have a turn to get everyone healed and resurrected in safety; this means he'll never do a * Mixer two turns in a row. He was the only boss I beat on my first attempt, though it was very close (I was completely out of TP at the end of the fight and was very glad the head explosion didn't deal enough damage to kill my Fortress when he was defending). It can be a long fight since he's only weak to one thing per face, but he also spends a lot of turns doing not a lot of damage (then uses a Mixer and blows up your Fortress). Your guest can kill him pretty much by himself as long as you know which weakness to attack and you keep the guest alive (tip: keep the guest alive).

I did level up to 44 before beating him, but it wasn't really that bad once I started sticking debuffs. The guest does all the work.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Is there a reason the doors in the fifth stratum are all labeled "Fight"? That is either some sort of memory error, or something is going to go terribly wrong.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Etrian Odyssey 4: My Door is Fight

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Thuryl posted:

As a rule of thumb, the level at which the guest party member joins you is a good guideline to the minimum level you should be to face the boss. As long as you're no more than 5 levels above that, you shouldn't worry about being overlevelled.

What? I beat each of the bosses at a level 3 to 4 less than the guests.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

You should always assume that a bind is only gonna stick around for the minimum two turns (which includes the turn it landed) regardless of your stats. Pack the Black Mist, bitches.

I have a nightseeker and a sniper and have run black mist the entire game. Probably my most used burst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

SpaceDrake posted:

On a different tack, what is the gimmick with finding the Fire Mark?

When it said South West, it didn't mean "to the south and to the west of", it meant true South West.

• Locked thread