Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
I beat all the games mostly guide free (I had to look up where a few missed shortcuts where on a few floors in some games, it's usually pretty obvious when you've missed a shortcut, but not always obvious where the drat thing is, sometimes you just miss looking at a wall), except for getting the true ending in #3, i had to look up that poo poo because it was pretty arbitrary. I've never had the patience to grind for post game though, that's just not my thing I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Vidmaster posted:

So what's a good way to actually build a hexer in EO2? I've gotten one up to level 12 or so but they just felt useless the whole time since the status ailments would never stick.

Max out the ability that does more damage the less life you have in comparison to your max health.

Wear all +HP equipment.

Keep in the back row with 1 hp (I believe the basic ressurection spell in the game puts you at 1 hp so this is pretty easy).

congratulations you just 1 shot everything in the game except for the 2nd to last and last bosses and it does a good number on them to.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

There's also a strategy involving casting Revenge at 1HP, but I've never learned or used it. Though if I had to guess, it involves being at 1HP (and probably some Medic CPR shenanigans).

It's pretty much just using items that all increase your max hp as much as possible, staying at 1 hp with that one medic revive ability (is that CPR?) that only revives 1 hp, then Revenge one shotting almost everything in the game until the very final area(and even then i think it 3 shots or so the final bosses last form).

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Zurai posted:

Been too long since I played it, I guess. I remember that it's a direct sequel of EO1 and of course that means it's got the same exact setting, right? :downs:

Well they do all take place in the same world (at least 1 and 2 definitely do, I'm assuming 3 and 4 do as well).

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Holy poo poo this game came out, time to do absolutely nothing but this and work for the next week or so.

Edit for below: It's an Etrian Odyssey game. I mean, I guess it could be slightly better or slightly worse then the other ones or whatever, but to the very least you have a pretty drat good idea of what to expect. Every game so far has been slightly better then the previous, and from what we've heard that sounds like what we're going to get here.

goldjas fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 27, 2013

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Is there any kind of ridiculous True Ending bullshit to do in this one like in EO 3?

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Anyone who didn't make this dude their medic is probably dead to me

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I'm currently running F/L/N front S/M back, so far I'm not completely sold on the sniper, am wondering if I should get myself a dancer instead, the Sniper only seems to pull his weight when his binds hit against FOEs and they seems fairly rare, and in true Etrian Odyssey fashion I have no idea how much leveling up the binds will help.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

dag01 posted:

Feel like I'm missing something obvious. How do I equip/use spell: Ice Coffin?

It's a burst, like Double Slash and such.

I'm surprised people are finding the first stratum boss so easy, when I fought him, I binded his arms, then all was going well, until he was under half health, his arms un-binded, and then he just smashed my characters faces in with AoE every attacks EVERY round until I lost , and they both had status effects attached! (Stun and Blind).

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Complexcalibur posted:

I think part of the reason people are saying this game is easier than the others is the same reason that they said that about EO3, which is to say that it's because the designers have been doing their best to get rid of worthless skills. All those stupid STR/VIT/LUC Up skills are gone, and have been replaced by skills that directly increase damage or evasion or whatever else, with a more noticeable change than you would get from an extra ten points. And if you don't want to put any points in them, they aren't required for any skills. I remember there was a Ronin skill in EO2 that required eight levels of AGI Up, and eight levels of LUC Up; that's sixteen levels of nothing before you could put a single point in this skill.

So a byproduct of this is that low level characters actually have options now, instead of being forced to take on the first boss with two points in a single attack skill.

Well, EO 1 was legit easy as long as you used immunize (not to hard to figure out really, it's just one spell and it's description even makes it sound pretty useful), EO 2 had the hexer kill almost everything in one hit spell which was a little harder to notice I guess, but since I figured out both of EO1 and EO2 broken things without using a guide I wouldn't say they were hidden particularly well. EO3s on the other hand I had to look up after beating the game to learn that there was even anything game breaking in it. No idea if 4 has something similiar or not.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Ratspeaker posted:

In EOI, you could plow through anything with a Medic (Immunize), Alchemist (AoE spells), Landsknecht (chaser skills), and a Troubador (TP regen); beyond that, there weren't many viable end-game party options. The newer games offer much more versatility, which is obviously a good thing. If they stuck us with the same classes and pain-in-the-rear end skill system for each installment, I wouldn't still be playing.

Streamlining is a good thing. If someone wants a game that feels exactly like EOI, they can play EOI.

Yeah that's my point. EO 1 was very flawed. So was 2. I enjoyed them when I played them but after 3 and now 4 I could never go back. That's why when i tell people about the series I sort of suggest them trying 1 and 2 first if they can just in case because I know that after playing 3/4 they would never be able to play 1/2.

Note: I realize calling the two games flawed because of basically 1 ability in each is silly. I had a ton of both with both even after discovering all their tricks, so they aren't bad games at all. In fact, most oldschool dungeon crawlers had silly tricks like that, so it was more like old times if nothing else. And the post game shenanigans were still pain in the rear end hard even abusing them.

goldjas fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Mar 2, 2013

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

In the second land how does one get to the dungeon that I assume is the moth cave? it's guarded by that super strong purple FOE with the two tentacle things, the game said something about getting him to eat food but he seems to ignore any I throw at him.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

LibbyM posted:

He eats The sheep FOE's running around

But they don't chase you or anything so how do you lure them to him?

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

What's up with those big moth enemies in the Moth Cave/ 1st floor of Mist anyway. They have the blue swirl around them which is supposed to mean easy but when I tried fighting them they just use some attack called Mince that just annihilates my front row, are they weak to a status ailment or something?

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Hmm wow Omnihunters really aren't *that* hard and the sword you can make from the item they drop is pretty boss.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

So what exactly am I supposed to do in the 3rd land? There's just dead ends that go nowhere as far as I can tell. There's a really strong Mantis FOE guarding a dungeon but try as I may I can't beat him, the game said something about finding an alternate entrance to the labyrinth for the land but I can't find it anywhere.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Meleemancer posted:

I really liked that (B3 of Labyrinth 2) you get a guest previewing the unlockable classes in this game. It makes it a lot easier to understand what the new class is all about and how to fit them in your party compared to having to read over all of the skills in the customize screen.

Not only does it "preview" it but She straight up joins your guild permanently after you kill the 2nd boss, so you can actually start with a level 20 something Arcanist.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

So I'm well into the 4th land now and I've still never found the Perpetual Ice in the underground lake. Where the hell is that anyway?

Edit: Also how do I get the Crit hammer? Want one for my sniper.

goldjas fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 5, 2013

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

How do you make the item that lowers encounter rate? It seems like the quest involving chasing around cuff links requires one.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Shlapintogan posted:

Welp. I just completely neutered the fight with Logre by paralyzing him on the first turn. It stuck all the way until the end of the fight, and his only attack missed.

I'm probably just going to end up retiring my nightseeker/arcanist into another nightseeker/arcanist because this combination is just too good.

I think he's honestly just plain easy, between blinds, arm binding, and paralyze he only got to attack me about twice before I beat him. The actual boss of the place is quite a bit harder (but I still beat it on the first try).

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Ok, dumb question but I'm completely stuck.

In the 5th maze, after you open up the door and go through quite a bit of dungeon, your in this like teleportey sort of maze thing (Where Rafflesia roamed until I killed them all) similar to the second maze and I can't figure out what the gently caress.

Edit: Seriously I've been stuck here so long just running in circles my team is almost already level 70, and I haven't even had a chance to kill post game bosses to raise the max!
And it will probably end up being something dumb and obvious won't it.

goldjas fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 10, 2013

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Well I beat the game. Final boss was probably the most epic one in the series so far since there wasn't any cheese I could abuse to just win with little effort. Now do I dare attempt the post game...

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I assume the super rare ingredients such as the golden egg respawn right? I'd hate to use them to defeat the elemental dragons only to find that using them for that locks me out of the one quest to collect all of them.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Dumb question, how do you get to the storm emperor? Because he's like over...there and as far as I can tell there's no way to get over... there. (I think the super food for this region is in that area as well).

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Wow that one huge teleporter maze on 6 2F is just starting to get frustrating. Doesn't help that the enemies are the hugest pain in the rear end ever.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

So, just curious, what would happen if i tried to fight the big bug monster in the sixth Stratum 3F without doing this whatever the hell puzzle that seems to involve chemicals first? Also is there anything I should know about this puzzle or is it pretty cut and dry?

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

This is probably the easiest Stratum 6 (floor / puzzlewise not really battle wise so much) but I remember that some of the previous ones I basically just straight up had to have a map / guide open to put up with, and I haven't needed to do that here.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

You can bind it's 2nd form's head (guaranteed as far as i could tell), and it has very little health so it basically makes it a joke.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Trying out the new game in story mode, hopefully I won't regret it. I'm going to make an assumption that Immunize is probably gone or severely nerfed this time around, which in and of itself should change the gameplay up quite a bit.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Man, I have no idea where to put my skill points in the remake of EO 1 Story Mode, in EO 4 I felt like for most classes it was fairly obvious, but here with everything maxing at 10 points again and the fixed classes/characters, I just don't know man.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Francis posted:

As good as it was, EOIV was more the first New Etrian Odyssey than it was a sequel of III or continuation of the first three games. In terms of class design, maze size and complexity, and breadth of postgame content, it was a step back to or below the standards of the first game.

If they keep going back to the well with remakes or reimaginings or what-the-gently caress-ever and continue to skimp on the meat of the game and recycle class designs, I'd rather they just kill the series outright. If there isn't a pretty significant gap in time between EOU and the next one they'll be killing it either way.

I'm pretty sure objectively EO IV had way more postgame content and way better balanced classes then EO 1 and EO 2 which were both straight up breakable. I guess I could give you EO 3, but 4 had other things going for it to "battle" with 3 (3 also probably had the weakest "plot", insomuch as that even matters for this series).

The postgame mazes in EO1 and EO2 were definitely way more of a pain in the rear end and bigger in IV, but the difference was, at least to me, I couldn't have ever done EO 1 or EO 2s postgame dungeons without a guide, they were just to ridiculous, I was able to do 4s, and 4s was hardly a slouch either really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

The man called M posted:

Hello.

I just got a bigger SD Card for my 3DS, and I would like some goon opinion.

Seeing that IV and Millennium Girl are part of the big Atlus E-shop sale, I was wondering, which game is better for a EO Beginner such as myself? (I am familiar with First Person RPGs on the 3DS such as Soul Hackers and Unchained Blades, which I heard are poo poo compared to EO)

I think 4 is the better game, but you can't go wrong with either honestly. They both treat beginners fairly well.

• Locked thread