Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

EO4 has this neat little feature where you get items to raise a character's level when you unlock a new class: When you unlock the Mystic class, you get two Ancient Sutras, which will let you raise a character's level up to 25 (which is Veteran-tier). It's a neat way to encourage you to experiment with different classes without having to stop everything and grind for several hours just to get them up to par.

EO4 also has subclassing, but from what I've heard there's a greater emphasis on the "sub" part. Subclass abilities only go up to half their maximum value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

EO4 release date is February 26, 2013:

quote:

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan is hitting North America on February 26, 2013. The initial production batch will come will a limited edition art book and music CD.

A sample of the art book can be found here. The book will feature imagery from the game, as well as a brand new piece of art for the North American audience crafted by illustrator Alexandra Douglass.

The “Rough Drafts & Outtakes” CD is made up of early arrangements composed by Yuzo Koshiro along with tracks that did not make it into the final game.

Atlus has also confirmed that Etrian Odyssey IV will be available on the eShop when it launches next year.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Artix74 posted:

Oh god decisions. Do I download it and always have it with me, or preorder for a sweet artbook and CD? :ohdear:

Whatever you decide, make sure to name your first guild member "Sophie".

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Rangpur posted:

That was probably Artelind and Wilhelm. :ssh:

Were they also responsible for the squirrels? Or the scorpions? Because if so, gently caress them right to hell.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Thanks for the advice, guys. I swapped in an Arb and holy poo poo even at level 7 she's doing an insane amount of damage relative to any of my other guys at the time :stare:

That's how I felt when I switched my Buccaneer for a Gladiator. He was like, half the level of the rest of my party and out-damaging everyone but my Arbalist.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

theshim posted:

Buccaneers are overwhelmingly unimpressive in the damage department...unless you give them Pincushion.

:getin:

I'm actually running a Shogun/Buccaneer with Swashbuckle. He can't really do anything else except Swashbuckle, but that plus a couple of poison-hammered katanas helps bring the pain.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV9GugnThJY

English trailer for EO4. I mean, there isn't much to it, it's mostly just showing off neat enemy animations and stuff, but still. English words!

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

The status effect class in EO4 actually sounds pretty ballin' because of the way their skills work. The attempts to inflict the status at end of the next three turns thing is a stroke of genius that frees up that character to do some healing or item using instead of wasting their turns doing the same thing over and over.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Apparently the first three Etrian Odyssey games are getting a reprint soon.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Atlus and IGN have been posting trailers that give an overview of the individual classes in EO4.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zn2iFzUaAg
Landsknecht

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUt1oRutEVw
Medic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UjcjLb38d0
Fortress

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

The effects of food end when you return to town. It's all very Might and Magicy.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

:woop: Etrian Odyssey IV demo hits the eShop on February 7! :woop:

You can import your data from it to the final game, too.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

DrManiac posted:

I wonder if you can import to the cart somehow.

You can. The Japanese version had the same demo but did not receive a digital release, and you were still able to import your data from the demo to the cart.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

YggiDee posted:

I've never played an Etrian Odyssey game before, how quickly would I die if I leapt in blind? I have played other Atlus games, so at least I'm familiar with their brand of ball-chewing difficulty, but I've never tried anything that wants me to make a map before.

Probably horrifically, but that would also happen if you were a series veteran jumping in with lots of preparations. EO4 is designed with new players in mind and you should definitely give the demo a shot.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Itachi posted:

That code and the one here are different.

And seriously, has anyone figured out to do with the Shinjuku Map from there? Is it just a thing I'm supposed to sell?

Yes. Trade Items are just stuff to hawk for mad cash.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezI86LLY1rc

Look it's a "secret" class.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Complexcalibur posted:

Also, I was pleasantly surprised to see that resting only costs 2 levels now. There's basically no excuse for not experimenting when the penalty is that low. I'm going to try and retool my Nightseeker so he's more focused on the throw skills, despite being in the front row.

There's some other really cool features that'll encourage you to experiment throughout the game.

It's really impressive how much they build onto the system with each game.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

toxicsunset posted:

Because it uses a color scheme/gradient that is reminiscent of those common to the flash game genre from that time period. I guess I "get" that it's old school it's just not for me. And I was honestly surprised by it enough that I felt the need to tell someone. Like the green typeface on a gradient green dialogue box looked bad enough to me that I was like "I literally wouldn't put this out there looking like this without being embarassed, if it were my product"

What would you prefer it to look like.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Kanos posted:

This is really weird, by the way. EO3 had too many classes that needed that 6th slot to really shine - ninja without bunshin and wildling without pets pretty much had no reason to exist so running them both at once was functionally impossible - and now EO4 has none. :raise:

There are story NPCs that join in the sixth slot, so it has to be open (otherwise these NPCs would be crippling classes that need the sixth slot).

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Tempura Wizard posted:

:negative: stop it

I wonder if they're going to nerf Immunize in this remake, or if subclassing will be added. I'm beginning to think a secondary purpose to the pre-fab party members is a (hamfisted) attempt at balancing parties. Then again, super-broken parties are part of the fun of EO, and I'm sure the devs know what they're doing when adding in crazy skill synergies.

Apparently the scans hint that it has some sort of job system, so you should still be able to bend the game over your knee.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Famitsu confirmed that New Etrian Odyssey will feature a Classic Mode where you can just roll generic party members and play it as a remake of the first game instead of having to deal with all the "Hi I am an amnesiac little girl from the distant future/past/parallel universe/whatever please take care of me" nonsense.

It will also have the option to switch between the classic FM music and the newly redone soundtrack, as well as three different difficulty settings. Because when you're playing EO, you definitely wanna play on Expert right? (I'll be playing on Picnic Mode because I am a big baby)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

There better be a Furyhorn DOE.

• Locked thread