Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Prince/ss' mediocre stats stop mattering once you've grinded out enough Books to get your entire party to 99 points in all stats. At which point they can equip the Heavy armours that Monks and Ninjas can't. Just throwing that out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

theshim posted:

Gone for good, and no, I don't think so. Honestly the best use for Ninjas for the vast majority of the game is as a TP battery, allowing three other party members using attacks like Front Mortar or Pincushion every turn, which will far outstrip any contribution the Ninja might have on their own.

That or Izuna spamming, since the chance to proc is pretty high (45%, I think.)

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Hoplite to Ninja if you want extra tanking (due to the dodge skills)
Monk to Prince(ss).
Zodiac to Gladiator if you're getting Meteor.

Not sure for bucc and zodiac, I never made much use of them as main classes.

Rule of Thumb is that if you're not sure on what to Subclass for any Physical damage class, Sub to Gladiator because Charge is such a fantastic skill.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Yeah, definitely a big 'wait, did they just say - holy poo poo they did' moment.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Yeah, War Magus as a healer is viable.

Also Dark Hunter and Hexer are flat out broken in EO2, Hexer moreso. Poison is good to skill for clearing trash mobs quickly, especially in the earlier stratums, so you should probably skill that first. Gunner has some accuracy issues, but nothing major.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Marogareh posted:

They had the stat books but it's a pain in the rear end getting one unless you have formaldehyde in bulk.

Lucky Hammer is far more efficient for farming those things.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

They stay. Feel free to use them.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Bellmaker posted:

I don't really get retirement. The recruit is supposed to have "advanced stats", but what does that mean, an extra stat point all around?

I hope for the Fortress in EO4 they do something like increase the requirements and reduce the amount of skillpoints needed for Anti-stuff, at least in EO1 you didn't have to max it out and could use some of those skills points to help him contribute to combat/defense more.

More stats in all areas the higher the level when you retire, and more Skill points as well depending on level.

Does not carry over, except in a very tiresome and convoluted way in EO2, so only retire once at max level if you want to minmax.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Zurai posted:

EO2 is very similar to EO1, even using the same town and labyrinth (though of course the levels are different). It does have some changes to abilities and new classes, but overall if there's an EO to skip it's 2 IMO. Especially with 4 literally a week away.

EO2 isn't the same town or Labyrinth. EO1 takes places in Etria. EO2 is in High Lagaard.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Complexcalibur posted:

So I don't know if it's the same every time, but twice now I've lured a blue/white Pooka with meat, and then when I killed it it turned into a Vigor Book. Maybe each color is lured by different stuff.

Speaking of which, who should I use these books on? Should I try to boost another character's piddly VIT, or just make my Fortress even more immovable?

Given that the game would designed around the Fortress' inherent defences being enough to see it through, you should probably focus on toughening up the squishies a little.

Or play like me and max out your entire Guild.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Random question as I'm FINALLY getting my shipment in tomorrow. Is there only a single battle theme? I like the one in the demo enough; but after playing Ni No Kuni I realized how nice it is having more then one theme.

There're quite a few.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I love the fact that the ability to save your Extra data to the SD Card hints very strongly at EOV being in the works.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I wish they'd taken the chance with an inclusion of Casual Mode to really ratchet up the difficulty for Normal mode. Or maybe even add a Nightmare mode or something.

But noooooo.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The colour indicator should tell you if you're good to go on taking the FOE.

I beat my first one with a party from 5-6.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Was this found out through playtesting or do we just assume it's following the EO3 mold?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Well it's an EO tradition that the 4th stratum/area battle theme is a new one.

Now, does the 6th Maze have it's own battle theme like 1 and 2, or does it not like 3?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Proper application of Mists and Accessories should allow you to negate a lot of damage, and after that it's mostly a battle of attrition.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

How many floors is the 6th Maze?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Zoness posted:

I just picked up etrian odyssey 4 the other day and it's been a blast! :shobon:

But where the hell is the culantro in the first dungeon? Do I have to sniff some bear asses to find it? There's some clue about using the western bear to knock down something I guess?

The last Etrian Odyssey I played was 2 and you could make harvesting mules in that game, is that not a thing any more in EO4?

Well you need to lure the bear at the West out of his position to find the Culantro (it's in a hidden room), and everyone can Harvest now, so no need for a dedicated Harvest class.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I don't see why Nintendo would aim for Etrian Odyssey of all of Atlus' titles for any sort of deal. It's a great series but it doesn't tear the charts up even relative to Atlus usual niche performance.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

New game for 3DS:

Shin Sekaiju no Meikyuu: Millenium Girls.

Release date June 27.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

It's an EO1 remake.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

New details.

quote:

Okay, way more information (and some scans) have started popping up. This is... really... odd. Definitely a new direction for EO. The graphics and presentation looks the same, pretty much like EO4, except it no longer looks like a "create your own party from the start and just explore" dungeon crawler. Instead there's a main character who you can name (he is voiced in story scenes), and there's a full story where you meet other characters, and they join your party like a story RPG. All the characters appear to be voiced.

The storyline is based on EO1, but there are a ton of changes. The story starts with the main character running into a mysterious girl. The main character is a young man from the Highlands, doing some job for the guild office in Etria, and the girl he runs into is Frederica Irving, who appears to have lost her memory. Her character design has her holding a gun too.

So yeah, an EO1 remake with named characters, voice acting, and more focus on plot. Did anyone really ask for this? It's... somewhat interesting though I must say. It also means you no longer create classes for your party too, since all the party members are actual characters who have their own fixed classes. Hmm...

Very odd new details.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

BKPR posted:

How many stratums are there in total? I just started 5 and want to know how much more game I'm in for.

Also, am I right in thinking that the Nightseeker is just useless for some areas? I tried bringing one in to my party for that sick Venom Throw damage, but so many enemies I'm running into now are either robots or venomous themselves.

5 main game, 1 post game.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

War Magus is perfectly usable, just don't expect him to heal on the same level as a Medic.

Troubadour got hit pretty bad on the move from EO1, maybe you want a Hexer instead?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Batigh posted:

Every class in EO2 is usable, if someone tells you alchemists aren't worth using, they just have no idea how to actually build them for longevity. Leave your damage spells at rank 1 and slam those weaknesses.

Yeah, Alchs are usable for the maingame. Their 'problem' is in the postgame, where their damage output simply cannot keep up with any of the other damage classes. Then again no one can keep up with the damage output of Hexers anyway.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The japanese site for Shin Etrian Odyssey is up:

http://ssq.atlusnet.jp/

A little barebones right now, but you can find lots of screenshots. And character art. And voice samples.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Apr 3, 2013

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The dungeon layouts appear to be new and there are new enemies in the screenshots, in addition to the new class skill trees, so I'm pretty sure I'll get my money's worth purely in terms of gameplay improvements.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

kas posted:

Just had the best moment in this game. I made it to the 4th stratum boss, and his mixer attack was just hammering me. Both my characters with revive were dead, 2 nectars left in inventory, everyone who was still alive at minimal hp, and the boss still at about 70% health. Looked grim, but I figured I'd just play it out instead of resetting because what the hell. Had 2 of my guys use the last nectars, the fortress popped a line guard on the back row, and then because she had nothing else to do, just did a hail mary regular attack with my nightseeker because I figured it was over that round anyways. The nightseeker hits with her attack, and the boss just dies. Instantly. Turns out he's suceptible to the instant death effect on the sword I'd equipped, and then I cleaned up the other part of the fight easily after that. Couldn't stop laughing at how the whole situation played out, for like a solid minute. Easiest stratum boss ever. :)

My strategy for Kirin in EO3 was literally to set up a tank wall, a Zodiac to cast Dark Ether, and a Wildling to spam Call Tiger until it was instakilled.

I was feeling like doing a gimmick fight that day.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The other exception to EO3's masteries is the Monk's Fist Mastery, where each new Level is the equivalent of equipping a slightly stronger weapon.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I'd realize that I think Ms. Iriving's design would be much improved if the twintails were removed.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Also there is a new system called the 'Grimoire' system where you can use them to learn new skills previously unavailable in your skill tree and even skills that are otherwise exclusive to enemies. These Grimoires can also be crafted.

As for the 'Classic' mode, they appear to be reusing EO1 sprites. Guess that means no Gunner class in the Classic game.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2TwoCcmams

Story Trailer for Shin Etrian Odyssey.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I think it's 11% at max, not 10% for Combat Mastery.

So, uh, yeah, not exactly the best bang for your buck there. (Unless you're a combat Monk.)

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

pitlo posted:

I've never eaten any food. I don't know what it does.

I am bad at this game.

Food improves your stats temporarily, until you next return to town.

Eat it.

Eat the delicious food.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

That Old Ganon posted:

You know, I didn't think of asking this: which does EO3 value more? Offensive or defensive play?

There's no defensive skill as ridiculous as Immunize or Painless, but there are several offensive options about as ridiculous as Revenge (with more setup requried), so offensive I guess.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Why are you carrying equipment with you into the Labyrinth?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

gannyGrabber posted:

New EO has a bunch of little character trailers up, but they're all in JP at the moment so no idea what the significance is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeuZQ3LGsBU

It's just a 'Hey, if you defensive skills you receive less damage! WOW!'

Specifically she cast Front Guard and then a party-wide defensive buff.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

crazkylo posted:

How Viable are Nightseekers? Mine seems incredibly fragile early game, but I do enjoy being able to Blind enemies fairly regularly. Do they play similar to the way a hexer did in EO1?

Nightseekers are incredible damage-output machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millenium Girl confirmed for NA release in 2013.

• Locked thread