Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

The White Dragon posted:

I can't understand this viewpoint. I mean, I won't use it myself since I'm already familiarized with the EO structure, but it's not like I think less of folks if they wanna use this mode.

I am also familiar with the EO structure, and I may use this mode anyway. For me, having to trek all the way back to the boss and do the fight over again is punishment enough.

Count Uvula posted:

e: VVVVVVV Aw man, they removed the common skills!

If true, then just as well. I never leveled up any of my main guys' gathering skills more than one point — why sacrifice their combat capability just so they can mine for a couple more fish per dungeon trip, when I can raise up a team of farmers to do all the mining I need?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
Just go straight to #3, it's the player-friendliest out of the whole bunch.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Rangpur posted:

(Also no exploiting the RNG to get a newly rested or apprenticed character back up to speed in two minutes.)

Could you elaborate on this?

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
I named mine Richard, Banks, Lucre, Cashmere, and Penny.

Also, I just unlocked subclassing and I'm thinking about how I want to develop my guild members. Hoplite/Ninja is pretty obvious, but how about Princess/Farmer? And should I bother subclassing my Gladiator before I unlock Shogun?

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Rangpur posted:

In other news, I dug up a copy of the first Etrian Odyssey and holy poo poo I forgot some of the design decisions were so boneheaded. Skills don't list their prerequisites?

They don't? :confused: I could have sworn they did.

Rangpur posted:

What shall I call this guild which will conquer Etria's Labyrinth? (It defaults to 'Vagabond' if I get nothing but suggestions like 'Dongs;' the point is ultimately to export a password tied to a name you'd actually want to use.)

People will want to use Dongs :colbert:

But seriously, name them Dragoons.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Complexcalibur posted:

Besides the tiny problem that you have no idea how to get them, I really like the idea of conditional drops. It's you earning the item, instead of hoping if drops at a 0.00005% chance. In fact. as long as you meet the condition, I think most of the conditional drops have a very high percent chance of appearing. They can be hard to do, especially against bosses, but I would prefer retrying a fight a few times to try and poison the boss before killing him than a couple dozen to randomly get what I want.

I can't really think of any other game with something like that. The closest I can come up with is the Secret Missions in Tales of Vesperia, and that's only some bosses, not most enemies.

Monster Hunter strikes a middle ground with conditional drops that you still have a random chance of not getting :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Camaro83 posted:

Wow...no wonder people put so many hours into the game.

Does that change in the newer games at some point?

Not really, but the newer games have more convenient shortcuts, so getting back to the floor you were on isn't as big of a hassle.

• Locked thread