Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Any word on pre-order items? The artbook you got for 3 is one of the nicest ones I ever got that wasn't a retail product.

I'm super excited for this. I need something to play before we get SMT 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

RoboCicero posted:

It's not ridiculous, I'm buying a 3DS just for Etrian Odyssey and Fire Emblem. This game can't come out soon enough and the fact I have to wait until spring 2013 for it is killing me.

These plus paper Mario and SMT 4 completely justified me getting a 3DS last year.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Shoot, is there really a demand for a western, possibly cartoony, gameplay-transparent FP dungeon crawl? I thought I was among a very small demographic.

I could see one selling well on steam. I for one would love a new, super polished wizardry knock-off in the vein of grimrock.

[e]I think I might use casual mode since doesn't seem to do more than letting you keep your levels when you die.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Speaking of anime wizardry knock-offs, what ever happened to class of heroes 2? It was supposed to come out in this fall but I haven't seen any news on it for months.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

I think the major thing that disappoints me about casual mode is that it doesn't include full automapping (as far as I can tell). I have a couple of friends who I got really excited about the series until I said, "And you get to map all the levels yourself using the touchscreen!"

I wish it included auto-map too. I don't have a problem filling out the map in the beginning of the game, but as I get farther I get sick of it and just do the bare minimum.

[e] Anyone have a write up on the classes? it's never to early to start :spergin: on party formations.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 10, 2012

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Does 4 have those ship missions with the pre-made party? those were good for getting a low level dude some levels.

[e] And how are the limits? I like that they were easier to get in 3 but they never got as broken as the ones in 2.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

So should I hold of pre-ordering until amazon posts the LE or is it one of those things where every first print is the special one? I really want an artbook since the one you got for EO 3 is one of the nicest free ones I got.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 23, 2012

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Speaking of money, as a first-time player (a few hours into EO3, on the third floor of the first area) I'm surprised how much everything costs. I don't seem to get money from anything besides selling vendor trash, which on a typical dungeon run will cover a stay at the inn and then maybe half of a good piece of equipment (which currently cost 200+ en; I'm ending dungeon runs with 100 en or so net). Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

It's normal. Once you can get the conditional drops off of bosses you don't have to worry about money. If you absolutely need money you can always create a new party and sell their default equipment and delete them.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Quick question about EO3: I picked up a Formaldehyde item that says it causes the target enemy to drop every item it can drop if you kill it on the turn you use the item. Does it work on bosses too?

Yes, it's kinda the main point of the item :v:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

TurnipFritter posted:

:woop: Etrian Odyssey IV demo hits the eShop on February 7! :woop:

You can import your data from it to the final game, too.

I wonder if you can import to the cart somehow.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Wow, I'm already finding a lot of the mechanical changes great. The skill menu is nice and neat now and clearly shows the investment you need to get certain skills. I'm also really glad they took out the whole needing points to harvest beacuse that totally wasn't fun.

I love how you can actually see enemies resistances in battle so you don't have to remember every enemies weakness.

[e] Where are these guys that I need to deliver food to? There's nothing east to the dungeon they are supposed to be near.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 8, 2013

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

PirateNipple posted:

I'm shocked by how generous this demo is, I was expecting a premade party and one floor of a dungeon.

It's actually pretty smart. It gives a good feel about what's going on in the game and let's you get a nice head start.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Is the map from the QR code supposed to do anything in the demo?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

ChibiSoma posted:

Does EO4 have NG+? I would assume so, since 3 did, but I don't think I've seen anything one way or the other so far.

Battlefield: Storm is such a good combat theme. To the point where it feels like it was written to be boss music, but they made something cooler as boss music, so they just bumped it down to be the normal fighting tune you get. High energy music for regular combat is great.

Anyone been able to take down any of the FOEs yet? Only thing I've tried fighting were the baboons in the mini-dungeon at the start. That wasn't smart. Things were tougher than I thought they'd be, considering. Ragelopes could be taken down around L5-7 if you had your poo poo together. Not sure those things could be. Not even taken a crack at the bears or the kangaroos.

What's with the mini-dungeon's subtitle? It was something about wings, which is weird. Wonder if one of the optional/super bosses pops up in there later on...

I managed to take out the baboon and bear FOE by blinding them with my night seekers and binding their arms with my sniper. I also used taunt with my fortress and just had him guard every turn. I think they are also weak to all the elements, so you should be pelting them with spells if you can

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Depends on if you plan on ever playing them again. Each EO game improves on the mechanics a lot so it might be really hard to go back.

That said, the amount of new content from 2-3 is significantly greater than from 1-2.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

toxicsunset posted:

The bare-bones, weird looking UI and lack of character models and/or animations of just about any kind are definitely indicative of production quality. They make the game feel cheap and lazily made, to me

Do you like, not get that first person dungeon crawlers are totally a genre and not having character models aren't an indicator of production values? EO 4 actually has really good production value for this kind of game imo.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Aerofallosov posted:

You know, I tried EO I before and it didn't click with me. I grabbed the demo of this and I really like it. I even don't mind making my own map anymore. It's sort of soothing between battles. Now, the eternal dilemma between physical and eshop...

I should make a gathering party and a smashing party like before?

Every EO game improves on the last one a lot, so I'm not surprised you would be able to get into 4 after not liking 1.

And since you automatically get 3 of each gather type without investing any points you shouldn't have to make another party.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

All of them, of course, take place on top of the ruined civilizations of Earth.

I love how the entire series is really a sci-fi instead of fantasy like it appears on the surface.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

gobbledygoat posted:

I think I'm pretty much done with the demo, but that was a blast. I completed all the quests and the story, have two full parties at level 6 and killed my first Nomad baboon. Not too bad for my first time playing an EO game I think!

I don't think you're done yet.

The level cap is 10 and you still haven't killed a bear yet :colbert:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Thuryl posted:

Doesn't look like it. Apparently in the full game you can get an AI-controlled guest party member to fill that slot by scanning another player's guild card QR code, though.

This could be rad if you can get someone of a much higher level.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Wow, anyone else massively disappointed in the art pamphlet? If I knew it was only going to be 6 pages I would have just gone digital.

It wouldn't be so bad if the free one from 3 wasn't 100x better.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Yeah, my sniper is easily my most useless unit.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

g0lbez posted:

This game sure has a lot of "I've thrown everything I've had at this guy and now all but one dude is dead and my TP is drained and I'm out of items hope this last burst finishes it off oh sweet he's dead oh poo poo I forgot to buy an ariadne thread" moments.

I always have at least 3 ariadne threads on hand. I'm sure most people do after being hosed over by squirrels in 1 :colbert:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

How am I supposed to fight the boss on floor 3 without a gang of bears also jumping me?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I got it, I hosed up my map :downs:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

What the gently caress? apparently my entire save got corrupted when I tried to save the game after dying somehow.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

J posted:

Also I'm a big dummy and I still have that stupid "find the source of the river" quest that you get really early on that I still haven't managed to complete. The hint says "go north" and all the places I've tried marking on the map didn't work. You get this quest so early in the game that either I'm missing something really obvious or I'm a stupid giant idiot.

It's literally just find the most northern water tile and talk to the quest dude to mark it on a map.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Just to add to the above, poison loving sucks in this game. I always loved how it killed everything in a few turns in the last EO games, you know? like a real poison.

[e] Where is this mist monster? I can't find it on the first floor of the misty ravine at 7 am. Is it in a specific spot?

I have a poison sword and have been poisoned and it only did like, ~25 in the first area. Maybe it's a percentage though.
VVVVV

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 28, 2013

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

How do you get to the quest FOE on B2 of the second dungeon from the back?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Zurai posted:

You don't. Think about how you could approach it without looking it in the eyes... You have to back into it.

I feel like an idiot :negative:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Does anyone have the post with the best subclass info?

[e] Nevermind.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 1, 2013

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

I beat the second stratum boss last night and I'm not really gettin' the dificulty hype it was receiving in this thread. I mean, it's a caster and you can bind its ugly head super easy! It's not really scary, just... intimidating, but so's everything with an attack set you've never seen before.

To be fair, so far 4 is waaay easier than the last games. It'll probably ratchet things up later.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Honestly the way I did it was with the debuff Circles, which enabled me to do loving tons of damage while crippling their output. Thunder Rune was doing like 500, it was insane. On the other hand, the boss itself was doing ~50. To my Nightseeker.

Yeah, that boss convinced me that hippy insect dudes rule. I kicked my sniper out of my party as soon as I got Wu

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Ok, what goddamn path should I take to get to the main scale of the boiling lizard?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Where do I go after returning to town to tell the count that shady rear end whirlwind kidnapped the girl

Jesus, You are waay over leveled for the second boss. I just beat the third boss and my dudes were ~35. Throwing a Poison circle with the head/leg binds worked well for me.

VVVVV

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 3, 2013

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

ChibiSoma posted:

Is it some unwritten rule that the third stratum in each game has to be teeth-grindingly frustrating? Because this Ice Stake poo poo's for the birds. Just lemme get to the third floor already, god dammit. Nooo, gotta go collecting Ice Stakes and figure out how to destroy all the giant fire things, which also respawn after a certain point so you have to do it all over again!

Whose idea of fun is that? I wanna be beating up a boss with my new cow-man friend, not pickin' flowers!

Wait till you get to the boss :v:

[e] If it makes you feel better the next dungeon's gimmick is much less tedious.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Shlapintogan posted:

I know the optional bosses are hard, but the damage on that healing throw is just ludicrous by comparison to literally all of his other attacks. My gear is top of the line stuff and I'm about to head into the fourth land, it shouldn't still be shutting me down.

Do you have a fortress? party shield and buffs and debuffs were probably the only reason I won that fight.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Shlapintogan posted:

Yeah, except none of those status ailments or binds ever stick for more than a turn (if they even stick at all), so that plan is almost entirely out the window. The RNG just hates my guts, I guess.

Whatever. I'll just come back at level 50+ and wreck him with even better stuff. If the game wants to make it so the jerk can heal himself, he'll just have to outheal the absurd amount of damage I'm going to do to him.

Just fyi, the burst skill black mist makes all statues effects last an extra turn, so with a full meter that's a guaranteed 3 turns.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Does binds count as status aliments for the nigh seeker's attack bonus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Any tips for the 4th boss? He is resistant to all the status effects I throw at him and his area attack wrecks everybody's poo poo even with party guard.

• Locked thread