Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I am seriously considering LPing EO3.

Talk me out of this, goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

Yeah, EO4 and OH GOD A NEW FIRE EMBLEM mean I'm going to trade in my battered DS Lite pretty soon. It has served me well! Over four and a half years now!

theshim
May 1, 2012

Subclassing is returning, or so I have heard. Don't know if there are any changes to it.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Also you don't have to look up anything at all for EO3 and it doesn't even remotely require a perfect party setup to beat.
It drat well better not. I just know the LP crowd's going to vote a party of Farmer/Ninja/Buccaneer/Princess/Hoplite and I will never kill anything

FrickenMoron posted:

Is there any releasedate/announcement for EO IV yet for an US release? If this comes out I will import an US 3ds for fire emblem/rune factory/this.
A US release was announced. No concrete date yet.

theshim
May 1, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

I got to the true last boss of 3, but then I realized my party wouldn't cut it so I respecced them all, then I realized I wasn't up for the grind. Oh well, I still had a lot of fun with it.
Progenitor or Abyssal God?

theshim
May 1, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

After some googling I'm pretty sure it was the former which I guess wasn't really the true final boss. How bout that.
Funny thing - I've never beaten the latter because the postgame turns into enough of a slog that I just stop enjoying it. :(

That said, the first time I beat the former, I checked up some guides and posts on it and kept seeing "your party should be at minimum level 55, 60 is much better."

My group? 46. :getin:

I have to say that this is one of the things I absolutely love about the series, especially by far EO3 - the sheer amount of customizability and funky combinations you can put together to pull off things you really have no right at all trying. It's awesome.

Also, Calling That Detestable Name is snazzy as hell, but Hoist the Sword is still the best battle theme in the first three games. :colbert:

theshim
May 1, 2012

The Warrior Might party is the staple. If I were to LP the game, I would go Warrior Might, because it is awesome and awesome people use it.

The usual party for this is one Gladiator/Shogun with maxed Warrior Might and Endless Battle, everything else is irrelevant, and two Shogun/Buccaneers with maxed Swashbuckling. The two S/Bs attack every turn and the G/S chases every attack for insane damage.

The other two party members are usually defensive buffers. I ran it with only one S/B so I could have a TP battery get through every random battle with Warrior Might, as well as a Hoplite/Prince and I think a Monk/Princess for maximum survivability. Might have had Wildling on the Hoplite for Primal Drums.

theshim
May 1, 2012

The cookie-cutter party for EO3 (that wasn't Warrior Might) was:

Hoplite/Ninja - Prince/Monk - Monk/Prince
Arbalist/Zodiac - Zodiac/Arbalist(or Wildling)

It too was an exceedingly defensive party. The Hoplite could clone and then both spammed line guard reducing all physical damage by 55%, the Prince could keep up Prevent Order while the Monk could use Form Qi to make Protect Order super amazing, the Arbalist spammed barrages and the Zodiac was built for single-target.

It works just fine but it's more than a tad boring. I think the party I ran my last run (until the end of the third stratum) was a Gladiator - Prince - Monk front, Buccaneer - Zodiac back. Once I hit subclassing I had the Buccaneer take Pincushion, switched the Prince for a TP battery with the Monk picking up the subclass for Monarch March, and the Gladiator got Blade Rave. A Pincushion/Blade Rave combo was usually enough to sweep random encounters. :v:

Of special note is the fact that I highly recommend a Zodiac in early parties, simply because a charged Hellfire does far, far more damage than anything else for a very long time, even when not hitting weaknesses. It allows you to cheese some FOEs, especially ones weak to fire, far before you're supposed to.

...it is also notable that my last run was a "kill everything as soon as you see it" run. Every FOE, I tracked down and murdered the moment I saw it. It was an extremely interesting and fun run, and while I wouldn't recommend it on a first try, it certainly does shake up the way you play the game!

theshim
May 1, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

Point of :spergin: order,

While the back row is targeted a lot less often, the AI prefers to target the person within a row with the most HP, so the princess is actually less likely to be hit if she is in the front row with someone that has more HP than her than if she is in the back row.

I don't actually remember how high Wildling HP is, it's possible that it's higher than the princess, in which case, by all means put her in the back row.

That's really much more of a defensive party than I like, but I understand why you would choose it.
While this is true, the problem is that in the early game, one hit to the hoplite will take his hp to lower than a full-hp prince (who have excellent hp themselves). If you are fighting more than one enemy, it is much more likely a back-row prince - even with the highest health - will stay safe.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Dragongem posted:

Someone figured out a specific way to trigger the ninja's instant death skill on a high-level sea boss, which would give a ton of experience. It wasn't particularly hard to do and was an easy way to get XP
Not quite.

There are three bosses which can exploited with the RNG. The first involves using a Wildling with Call Tiger, the second and third can be anyone. The first is a pretty simple one that instant kills the third sea quest boss, which is worth a decent amount of experience until around level 20. The problem is that you need to be a pretty high level Wildling to even get the Call Tiger skill, which has a chance of instant killing enemies when summoned. Like most bosses, they have immunities to it, but the Wildling's Mastery skill gives a flat boost rather than a percentage one after checking for this, meaning it can go off. This boss can be accessed almost as soon as you get your ship, though.

The second is the King Penguin, good XP into the mid 40s. This requires something like 18 turns of following an exact pattern of moves, but the ninja accompanying the quest can eventually clone enough times that Tagen Battou will oneshot it. This is subject to the RNG being a jerk, though, and can fail!

The third, and most important, is Scylla. Scylla gives around 28k exp a pop and goes like so: Do the first quest, bring one person, have them escape on the first turn. You win! (The first quest partners you with a Wildling who has Call Tiger.)

All of these have to be done after a reset, but all of them work. Scylla is the most useful by far, though you can't reach the city that unlocks those until you hit the Fifth Stratum in maingame.

theshim fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 14, 2012

theshim
May 1, 2012

I didn't even bother with the farmbot, just called them a,b,c,d,e.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Look, I...I was young, and desperate for those Red Jaspers, alright?!

Also screw Yggdroids.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Prism posted:

I didn't do any postgame stuff. Why would you specifically not raise anti-Element past 5 if you're going to do post-game? Is it just because they don't use them there (but couldn't Resting fix it?)
The Anti-element skills null the elements at 5 and then begin to absorb them above it. The problem is that - especially come postgame - most of the elemental attacks also carry very nasty side effects, like status ailments or binds. If you null the attack, you also nullify the additional effects, but if you absorb it, the effects can get through again.

I think the engine treats null'ed attacks as simply being blocked - absorbed are getting through, so they can proc their effects irrespective of the damage dealt.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Rangpur posted:

The others beat me to it, but yeah. For what it's worth, this is fixed in subsequent games, so when you play EOII or III, max those suckers out. The continued tinkering and rebalancing is one of the reasons I'm a fan of the series.
I wouldn't say fixed as far as EO3 is concerned, as there's no absorption in it - you have to max the anti-element skills to null the attacks - but this works for EO2. The Prophecies work by preventing the attack from ever going off, also useful (the damage they deal is absurdly piddly).

A Ninja/Zodiac with two Prophecies and Bunshin was one of the most important pieces of my level 46 Progenitor fight. The Hoplite would use Antivolt to block Death Thunder (by far the most problematic) and the clones could keep up Ice and Fire prophecies, making my whole party immune to elemental damage as long as I could keep it up.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Thuryl posted:

The damage isn't that bad: a maxed Prophecy will do slightly more damage than a maxed elemental Star skill. The problem is that most element-using enemies will of course be resistant to the element they use. There are some exceptions, though: the ultimate postgame boss is actually vulnerable to all elements, which is nice.
But it costs a ton more than the stars, and those aren't very damaging at all if you're not hitting a weakness.

You never use the Prophecies for the damage, is what I'm saying.

theshim
May 1, 2012

The issue is that Lethal Tactic is taking up a spot that can be used for much more powerful limits, especially if you want to run the Aegis ones, and even with it I found a S/B's damage output unimpressive.

Also, a fun fact: something about the interaction between Swashbuckling and Second Sword is buggy, allowing Swashbuckling to not only proc far more often, but also allowing it to exceed the normal cap - I've had Swashbuckling activate seven times in a row on one weapon and three on the second. If that was reliable, maybe I'd be more inclined to run the S/B as an independent damage dealer...

theshim
May 1, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

Does picking a subclass effect stat growth actually?
No. The only effect picking a subclass has is granting 5 skill points immediately.

Mind you it's worth doing for that alone, even if you use none of your subclass's skills.

Also of note: Protect Order has a pretty piddly heal unless you have it on a Monk/Prince. Form Qi (the Monk's passive) brings it up to a remarkably decent amount. Other than that, Regal Radiance and Ad Nihilo are the only scaling Prince skills, you don't use Ad Nihilo for the damage, and Regal Radiance takes too much setup to be worth it. Princes are lousy offensive classes but with great defensive and support abilities and they work as well if not better on a subclass than they do on their own.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Kanos posted:

I was parroting an old forum thread on Intothelabyrinth because I don't actually have my DS right now. :blush:

Either way Protect Order owns bones.
Must have been a very old thread then. Monk/Prince for the awesome Protect Order was one of the first things settled upon in the cookie-cutter party.

I haven't checked ItL in a while. I hope scy's still around for EO4!

theshim
May 1, 2012

Lotish posted:

Wait, can someone explain why Prince/Princess primary is bad?
Their base stats are decent but they don't excel at anything, their class skill is pretty damned useless, and given that nearly all of their skills do not scale at all, they work incredibly well as a subclass on anything that doesn't need another to work.

fake edit: this is why you don't walk off in the middle of typing a reply

theshim
May 1, 2012

Actually, being a lower level is kinda beneficial - it means Giant Kill is always going to be active! :v:

For the uneducated, the Arbalist's class skill boosts damage by a ridiculous 55% against enemies with more than twice your health - i.e. pretty much everything.

Sometimes I do Gladiator/Arbalist instead of the other way around for the survivability - Endless Battle is still good, even if it's not as good, and Front Mortar means I kinda want the extra health. That, and Front Mortar's damage is so ridiculous you don't really need that much extra.

theshim
May 1, 2012

TurnipFritter posted:

That's how I felt when I switched my Buccaneer for a Gladiator. He was like, half the level of the rest of my party and out-damaging everyone but my Arbalist.
Buccaneers are overwhelmingly unimpressive in the damage department...unless you give them Pincushion.

:getin:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

Well, Buccaneers main thing is their chasing abilities. They're meant to hit multiple times.
But the problem is that Shoguns are just so much better at it. And even with a team built around the chases, they just don't do that much.

A S/B is great for charging limits and procing Warrior Might. They're never going to be very good for damage, but they can get a limit off every two or three turns and with some good forges they can drop status effects or binds reasonably well.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Zodiacs are great early to midgame as elemental damage dealers, especially because of the limits. A charged Hellfire will take off around 1600 to enemies that don't resist it, even early on, and is hands down your best tool for dealing with FOEs!

Lategame I still kept a Ninja/Zodiac in my party - not only is a TP battery always useful, but with Bunshin and two of the Prophecies I could nullify all elemental damage every turn! This was part of what allowed me to get away with an absurdly low level on Progenitor. You could also run the Zodiac/Gladiator (or vice versa) for Meteor abuse.

They do fall off in terms of raw elemental damage, but the Zodiac as a class brings a bit more to the table than Alchemists did. You can also go with Wildling for a subclass and max Primal Drums, which stays useful all game.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Shwqa posted:

Zodiacs are very nice early game. They are pretty much the only reliable way to get elemental drops in the first stratum. The first foe is weak to ice, which helps with that early game grind. Just make sure you don't raise the skill level of the spells. Increasing levels increases tp cost and doesn't raise damage as well as the passives does.
Oh yes, this. Just leave one point in each of the elemental stars unless you're grabbing a Prophecy for later in the game, they're really not worth more points.

With a Zodiac the important skills early are 1 point in each Mastery and each Star, maxed Dark Ether to get maxed Singularity and then max Etheric Charge. That's only 21 points and it covers all the most important things by level 19! Each Prophecy is another 14 points to get to, but I find those only really become useful much later.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Any class that operates mostly off passives is a great sub for Zodiac. Wildling also does pretty nicely by giving you Primal Drums (a 30% defense debuff, extremely useful) and Alertness (reduces chance of being ambushed, has saved me more than a few times).

theshim
May 1, 2012

S/B is really useful for three things: procing weapon forges, procing Warrior Might, and spamming the hell out of limits.

It's not a great damage dealer - even with strong weapons and a good number of swashbuckling procs, basic attacks just don't deal that much damage - but forging ailments or binds on your weapons can be very effective, Warrior Might will deal all the damage you need on virtually everything, and with Limit Boost maxed and a couple Limit forges on your weapons it is possible (IIRC, someone correct me if I'm misremembering) to get a Limit off every other turn (which needless to say is absurdly broken - and even if I'm wrong, it's a guaranteed one every third turn).

theshim
May 1, 2012

Okay, I went and checked up on this stuff.

With maxed out Limit Boost, you will always get a full limit gauge every seven actions. With two Limit forges (from the weapons that come with them) you will get one every six. (With five or more you can get this down to five but this is tricky to pull off - you have to itemize for it. The club can't be used by a S/B, though it will up anyone else using it, but without the Buccaneer's Limit Boost skill there's variance in how much limit you gain per hit. Sometimes. Yeah.)

In short, with some luck on Swashbuckling it is possible to fill your gauge up every other turn, although it is easier/requires slightly less luck if you use the Nenekirimaru or the like.

theshim
May 1, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Cool. If nobody disagrees with your assessment before I get home I'll go ahead and order it.
While this is broadly correct, it might be worth playing the earlier entries in the series to familiarize yourself with most of the common elements - controls, skills, recurring items and the like. Learning the series from scratch in another language is going to add a sizable chunk of difficulty, and the games are already not very friendly! (Unless you've already played the other games, but by your question I'm assuming this is not the case.)

theshim
May 1, 2012

Every time you inflict a status ailment or bind, the enemy - any enemy - gains 30% resistance to it. There are enemies with 70% base resistance to things, meaning you can hit them once and only once in a fight with a particular effect.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

In OE3 bloody lance's damage bonus doesn't stack every time something dies, the duration just gets extended, right?

Thinking of trying a different kind of build but not sure if Bloody Lance would be worth taking. Damage would already get booseted from Charge Tactic, Bravant, and Daifuhensha so if Bloody lance takes one of those 3 spots it wouldn't be worth it unless it stacks the bonus every time something dies.
Bloody Lance not only stacks, but also does not occupy a buff slot.

This makes a Warrior Might G/S astonishingly brutal for taking out the sea boss with the three respawning heads. You need three points there for WM anyway. It's a pretty useful skill for sweeping encounters anyway, and the WM build doesn't really need the points for too much else.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Shwqa posted:

Those do not exist in EO3, even if they did a farmer could cheese it.
EO3 has a couple of quests where you have to stay on a floor or series of floors and kill monsters. At least one of them is kill-based, while another is both kill- and time-based.

I think. It's been a while.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Rangpur posted:

Anyway, here is some cool fanart I could not justify putting in the OP:

God drat it it's in my head now

As far as remixes: if we can't I'll just start linking to them on youtube; there are some utterly fantastic arranges out there.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Rangpur posted:

Title: 世界樹ノ記憶, or 'Memories of World Tree'
Games covered: Etrian Odyssey 3
Circle: foxfactory
Style: Orchestral arrangement, with several tracks combined
Download (59 MB)
God yes, foxfactory is awesome. Some of the absolute best orchestral arrangements of VGM comes from foxfactory.

theshim
May 1, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Quick question about EO3: I picked up a Formaldehyde item that says it causes the target enemy to drop every item it can drop if you kill it on the turn you use the item. Does it work on bosses too?
Yes.

It's a bit tricky to use (you'll probably want to come back and use it on Narmer as it unlocks an extremely powerful club) since you have to have one person use it, and then the rest of your party land the killing blow in the same turn. The Hellfire limit is your best bet for a while.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Rasamune posted:

Monster Hunter strikes a middle ground with conditional drops that you still have a random chance of not getting :v:
See, that? That sucks. Conditional drops are interesting, but if you fulfill the condition you should get the bloody drop.

theshim
May 1, 2012

I'll throw one in then!

Forgotten Century from the album Canned Tunes! is a fantastic upbeat arrange of the Via Senatus theme from EO3 and possibly my single favorite EO arrange. I can listen to that one for hours.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Trihugger posted:

This thread is making me want to play EO3 again. I stopped at the end of the second stratum so I probably need to give myself a bit of a crash course in the game before jumping into sub-classing. I've never used Ninja so I've got a couple questions regarding their cloning ability. Each time they clone their HP and TP are cut in half. At the end of the battle do you reabsorb the lost TP or is it gone for good? And does the Zodiac ability Dark Ether work to eliminate the TP cost entirely?
Gone for good, and no, I don't think so. Honestly the best use for Ninjas for the vast majority of the game is as a TP battery, allowing three other party members using attacks like Front Mortar or Pincushion every turn, which will far outstrip any contribution the Ninja might have on their own.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Daraken posted:

Incorrect. If the bunshin is still alive at the end of the battle, it's reabsorbed. If it dies though, you get back nothing. I'm going to repeat myself and say that Ninja/Buccaneer is pretty good too. Pincushion will do nice damage given the Ninja's high AGL growth, and you can support with Eagle Eye or building up Limit.
I stand corrected! I though it was gone, but I must be remembering wrong. My bad!

Then again I only tend to use Bunshin on bossfights and at the end everyone's missing large chunks of hp/tp so it's kind of hard to tell!

A N/B using Pincushion will do an excellent amount of damage, it's true. However, Pincushion - even with Keburi no Sue - will still run down your TP reserves extremely fast without a TP battery. Ninjas don't have a great deal of TP anyway, mostly relying on KnS to keep costs affordable.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

I used a club on my gladiator through the game and in to the 6th stratum. Once I eventually kill those stupid dragons I'll swap him over but for now Warrior's Might seems to work just fine with the first stratum boss's conditional drop club.
Said club is the best WM weapon for most of the game - but since WM is a skill, Club Mastery doesn't boost it at all. For the first three strata, swords are probably better - especially because farming up the cash for that club before you hit the 4th stratum is a massive pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Can anyone give me a spoiler-free list of what determines which ending you get in EO3?
The two endings for each side are easy to get: just go with each side's questlines starting from the third stratum and onward.

For the TRUE ENDING: After beating the second stratum boss and going down the stairs, promise not to say anything. When you go back to town, tell anyway. Which side you go with in the third stratum doesn't matter (I recommend going with the town to unlock Shogun). After you beat the 4th stratum boss and turn in the quest, don't accept the next one. Instead, go to the door on the 10th floor, which you can now open, and talk to the guy there.

• Locked thread