Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Lazy Programming posted:

Thank loving god, video games need to make dying part of the game. Dying is fun.

It's not even a Dragon Quest thing where you lose money, though; you just go back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

The White Dragon posted:

And?

It's a video game, there's no such thing as little children who are bad at it. There are just people who are willing to play through the harder modes, but there's absolutely no merit to it. What, are you gonna put it on your resumé? It's a "I beat this superboss and all I got was this crappy t-shirt" case. There is no glory in playing difficult video games; only masturbation.

Was I saying people are scrubs for using the mode? Huh, I don't remember typing that.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I've mostly seen 'dying is fun!' used in conjunction with Dwarf Fortress, so I figured he wasn't aware of that. Probably not though.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Shwqa posted:

There are way better ways to cheese EO3 than ninja/zodiac.

Hoplite/ninja gives you shield guard (55% damage reduced) on both sides of the team.

Shogun/ buccaneer gives a chance to strike 8 times with your normal attack.

Zodiac/gladiator made you have an insanely powerful meteor. it is considered physical so all the gladiator boost work on it.

Arbalist/gladiator +90% + 280% +55% to a 380% attack with a 30% chance to do it again.

You missed Gladiator/Shogun. :black101:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Shwqa posted:

How does that one work?

Basically just for spamming Warrior's Might. It's balanced that the defense penalty will wreck a Shogun if they get attacked, but Gladiators are tanky enough to get away with it much better. With the attack bonuses Gladiators get, your damage can get ridiculous if enough people attack at once.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Trying to keep the Princess at full health for Royal Veil is an exercise in frustration no matter how you try it. I remember Bodyguarding her a few times just to keep enemies from cherry tapping her, it got so annoying.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Shwqa posted:

Yeah that is a pretty bad idea but I guess Farmer/shogun isn't too bad

Earth's Bounty 4/10
Lullaby 3/10
Play Possum 5/10
Strange Seeds 10/10
Persistence 10/10
Rotten Egg 5/10
Harvesty 5/5
Double Chop 4/10
Camp Mastery 3/10
Waste Not 5/5

Endure 5/5
Morale boost 5/10
Fusillade 3/10
Blitz Command 10/10

That gives you an 80% to avoid death an survive with 1hp. After you die your entire team heals 50 hp and you have a 40% chance to auto revive. Blitz Command makes all your other character attack so you don't need to worry about the Farmer's low attack stat. Then you got a decent debuff and bind. Campsites heal a lot more and recover all status effects. Plus you get to harvest every spot you come across and have a +5% chance of items dropping in combat.

You could get rid of double chop or lower some blitz command if you want more Earth's Bounty

That's kind of ingenious, actually.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I like the idea of the Wilder, but man, after II's Hexer it's still a bit of a disappointment.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Vidmaster posted:

So what's a good way to actually build a hexer in EO2? I've gotten one up to level 12 or so but they just felt useless the whole time since the status ailments would never stick.

Did you max out blinding? That's easily the Hexer's most practical ability. And yeah their effects wear off after a few turns, but 2 or 3 is usually enough to kill all but the beefiest enemies as long as you have good front-liners.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
And Troubadors...still have Divinity.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Hoplite/Monk is also pretty good from what I've heard, but entirely because of Ascetic Deeds.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Just got to Colossus in 2 last night. This is going to be...fun.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I was considering training a Panda just for Colossus. Then I went, ehhhhh, how bad could he be?

Pretty bad.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The Heavenly Keep's one just cared if you reached all four corners, it seemed like.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Or have party members who can bind Legs.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The game offered you a hint about how to get past that crocodile when you first arrived, actually.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The first floor heating back up was a complete gently caress you, seriously.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Ha ha, I thought I'd be done with the Ice Take bullshit when I got to the boss room, but you sure showed me, didn't you game?

And what a fun gimmick for a boss.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 14, 2013

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I can't even imagine what you're supposed to do if you don't want a Runemaster in your party, because you'll run out of Ice Stakes sooner or later.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Can I at least go back and save after I break the big scale? I didn't want to try it last night.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
This quest in IV about killing specific monsters in the library is kinda pissing me off. Are there any spots the barbs and apes will appear more often?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Well it has to be done on floor 2 specifically, should have clarified.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
That's the third loving time I've gotten down to two apes left and the game just refuses to give me any more. Why can't it have a lovely reward so I can just ignore it?

And now I run into two White Apes in a row while looking for Barbs. Come on.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 7, 2014

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Is there a strategy for Chameleon King that won't make the battle take forever and be really, really tedious?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Got him. Seems like binding his legs made him less likely to summon them, too.

• Locked thread