Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006
Just one spray keeps bad karma away!
I'm just really disappointed in how boring the EOIV classes look, especially coming from EO3, which has plenty of interesting stuff going on. :(

Except for that crazed little Defender-lookin' dude. Shine on, you murderous little diamond.

Also, the lack of adult-looking women that aren't wearing little more than lingerie (outside of the animal people) bothers me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006

ChibiSoma posted:

Ya know, I have no idea why I love these games so much. I'm completely, 100% terrible at them. 3 was especially bad since they removed all the guys I had a good idea how to use, and then threw in no truly amazing healing class. I beat the game once, taking the Yggdroid route, and got far enough to see the Shogun in NG+, but when it hit the 'time to grind' point again, I gave up.

I actually really like how there's no TRUE healing class in EO3. I'm running with a Princess and it owns, and she owns. :3: I don't have to have a healbot- it's boring and oh wow what do I do oh wait another heal. Yay. :geno:. Yeah, it's not like it's a PNP or something with real people or even character, but it's cool that the 'work around' for no healbot has me with a buffer who has a much more interactive...healing game. I guess?

Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006

TurnipFritter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV9GugnThJY

English trailer for EO4. I mean, there isn't much to it, it's mostly just showing off neat enemy animations and stuff, but still. English words!

Hahah, the names :3:. Eglamore from Gunnerkrig Court, Carrot from Discworld Cucumber Quest, Sette from Unsounded, K. Managan from Prequel. I'm not sure where Vane is from, though.

I remember in an EO3 vid that they had everyone named after Homestuck characters. What the heck, Atlus?

Karma Guard fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Nov 28, 2012

Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I finally bought EO4 after liking the demo way back in February. I figure it's different enough from SMT4 that I shouldn't be completely burned out when I pick that up. I didn't even finish the demo actually, stopped right as I got access to the airship so I'm still very early on.

I realize at this point this question must have been asked a million times but what's a good starting party? I need to check what mine was but I don't want to start leveling things that will end up making the early game tougher.

I actually started with Land/Night/Dancer and Rune/Sniper in the back. It worked exactly long enough until I got Arcanist. Then I kicked out the Dancer and replaced him with an Arcanist that I then subbed Medic onto when I could.

So now I have a Land|Bushi / Nightseeker|Arcanist and Rune|Imperial / Sniper|Arcanist / Arcanist|Medic in the back.

Hit like trucks and it's all really self-sufficient. The Runemaster keeps flipping Free Energy, the Land has Deep Breath, the Nightseeker and Sniper both have the thing that gets you TP back for binds/ailments, and the Arcanist never seems to run out of TP no matter what. Arcanist/Medic is exactly as good as everyone says it is, and I highly recommend it. It also helps that they have really neat recolors.

Still having issues with the boss between me and the Imperial class, but I think that's more to not knowing his patterns and why he's suddenly taking jack poo poo for damage when he changes form :argh:

Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006

Wow so I guess you sub everything onto / with Arcanist eventually :v: can I take the medic I currently have and eventually reclass him into arc/Medic or does that not work?

I do, but that's because they have a Mastery skill that improves your chances of landing binds and ailments and that's half my party :v: (the Sniper technically is supposed to be running around Squall Volleying stuff but lets be real he mostly does binds- he needs at least Leg Bind to make sure SV hits).

Regarding the Medic: I'd retire him into an Arcanist. When you unlock them, you also gain a pair of special items that allow you to automatically make them level... 25? Just go to the bar and check for information; you want the Vessel Instructor (You also get a couple of Bushi ones when you get them).

You want Arcanist/Medic because Arcanists need luck to land their circles, and Medics (apparently) have poo poo for luck. Arcanists' class skill also helps them with TP costs; while the circles cost 10, you can be getting 8-10 back when they expire or when you land a bind/status.

Is there any reason whatsoever to give an Arcanist a Rapier or is it for laughs?

And some hints for the Stratum Boss statue guy?

Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006

Just got sub classing and think I made mistakes already. I get that you are supposed to put Arcanist onto Sniper and Nightseeker if you use abilities. Are you supposed to put points in the circles too or just the passives? Like I gave my sniper a binding circle before realizing his class can do damage when they bind anyway and I might be wasting points.

Also retired my Medic into Arcanist/Medic, how do I get them to level 25 right away? He's 15. Or did I understand this incorrectly and now I have to grind him up from 15?

The battle with the Minotaur guy that unlocks sub classing was hard. I'd almost finish him off and then he'd heal to full and kill my whole team in a hit. I eventually beat him when my binds and blinding stuck for more than a turn.

I actually just reclassed my Sniper away from /Arcanist into /Bushi and it gets really crazy. Blood Surge/Calm Breath lets him use the Sniper's clean-up skills (Steel Arrow & Flank Shot) whenever he feels like it without worry of running out of TP, and Skull Bash (+Paralyze) plays well with Squall Volley and my Nightseeker. Shockwave is pretty useful too, but my Land is stronger so it works better. Charge also owns there's a reason the gloves that give Charge keep sneaking into very strong builds. While the /Arcanist helps with binds, I just put some extra points into his shots and it's working out pretty well.

Being 'stuck' with less healing isn't that bad; I did it pretty much the moment I unlocked Arcanist. Just make sure to give him a good set of boots so the Arcanist's somewhat dismal speed doesn't bite your party in the rear end. Circle Boon kind of owns by the time you plop a couple points in it; I get back about ~50sh a turn, which nicely counters the self-hurt that my Land and Sniper are doing thanks to Blood Surge.

Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006

Give your medic patch up, it will make dungeons so much easier early on by passively healing after every fight. Don't worry too much about wasted skill points because you can respec whenever by just dropping 2 levels. You can also reclass entirely later on. This is the first EO I get really into and I'm still about halfway through the main game but I'm really liking it.

Medics don't really do anything if they're not healing, just whack things for a bit of damage. It can trigger a Landsnechkts links if you put points into those.

The Medic's Star Drop skill is key to a whole poo poo-ton of hilarity later on, though. It makes anyone hit by it lose ~50% of their defense for the turn! :science: I always liked how in EO the Medics aren't just healbots, but also beatsticks.

Also, make sure that the current Quest is ready to drop off- I just finished having to fight the secret boss in the second land (the bird-sword thing) twice because of my own drat idiocy. That thing is really hard, even when you eat the lightning food and come with a full burst bar.

Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006

I was gonna make my Land a Land/Bushi when I unlock it, but now that I've actually used a Bushi for a bit as a guest member I was a bit underwhelmed... a lot of their skills are Katana/Mace only, when a Land has Sword/Rapier only skills, and the fact that Bushis burn through TP will be a lot harder to deal with without the Bushi TP gain passive. Is Land/Medic something that I can do as soon as I hit 42? It does look pretty interesting.

Subclassing lets you equip the sub's weapon as a secondary weapon, like the Nightseeker gets to do all the time. I'm running a Land/Bushi and he hits like a truck made of angry bees. Blood Surge is your main investment, like Rascyc said, but I also like Shockwave (hit everyone; pay HP as well as TP). Charge is also a good investment and stacks with Blood Surge. While he doesn't have the passive TP gain, he does have Deep Breath, which is good enough, and bosses usually last exactly long as my TP does, anyway. Katanas are pretty good, too, but they don't count as swords; I was running around with the Petrify mace and a katana and I had no access to my sword skills.

Aerofallosov posted:

Is a sniper and an arcanist in the same party a bad idea? I haven't gotten to subclassing yet (yay new game+). I have a Bushi, a Fort, an arcanist, a sniper and a runemaster. I just can't seem to get into Imperials. I might give one or a nightseeker a shot if I shouldn't have a sniper.

I'm doing it and it's a fine idea. They have very different jobs anyway- the Sniper has a damaging job after he binds and the Arcanist should be busy with party micromanagement (debuffing, healing, etc). Badingading has it right; it also allows trying to shut down an enemy with two binds on the same turn.

Also Blood Surge + Charge + Squall Volley (after paralyzing or foot-binding) = :unsmigghh: I love the tons of numbers I don't even care if it's inefficient.

Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006

theshim posted:

Yeah, the bulbs are nasty. That said, if you kill them after they expand, they blow up on the enemies instead!

I thought it was when you poked them with a pierce-type weapon?

Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006
The other nice thing about sea quests is that they leave you perfectly healed-up. After you get a high enough initial level, dragging someone to beat on the bird in the lighthouse (or their corpse) is much cheaper than the inn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006
I like all the side dungeons because it works as a quarantine for crappy gimmicks :colbert:

vvv yeah :( the ice stakes would have been great if it was in a smaller dungeon.

Karma Guard fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 1, 2013

• Locked thread