Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Those prices are scary low for the aircraft size they’re offering.

Maybe it’s being subsidized by a VC but cheaper isn’t always better when it comes to charters

But yeah a new Yaris is 17k, I definitely have booked many short runs for less than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

KillHour posted:

Even a "cheap" private flight has to be new car money, no?

Depends on what you want to call a "private flight."

You can do a sightseeing tour in a Cessna 172 for a couple hundred bucks. That's technically a private flight but it's probably not what you're looking for.

You can do a short-hop charter in a somewhat larger (but still likely single-engine) prop plane for a couple grand. This can actually be competitive with commercial flights if you're traveling with a group that can fill every seat on the plane.

If you want to impress your insta followers, you might be able to score a seat on a deadhead flight for a few thousand dollars. This will, of course, be at the jet owner's convenience.

Actual business travel - going at least a couple hundred miles in a twin-engine turboprop or private jet, on your schedule rather than asking the charter company what you can get for super-cheap - is going to be more in the recent-used-Civic range at minimum: probably somewhere around $10k. You'll also learn that "private jet" doesn't necessarily mean "luxury" like you might think - sure, the finishes will be nice, but the interior is going to be cramped, there's no flight attendant, and the lav is half a step above a bucket. The point of flying this way is that the flight works on your schedule, and can go through small airports close to where you want to be, not that your experience in the air is very nice.

If you want to ride "Jeff Bezos going to Davos" style, that's going to be nice-new-house money each way.

Space Gopher fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 29, 2020

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Space Gopher posted:

also learn that "private jet" doesn't necessarily mean "luxury" like you might think - sure, the finishes will be nice, but the interior is going to be cramped, there's no flight attendant, and the lav is half a step above a bucket. The point of flying this way is that the flight works on your schedule, and can go through small airports close to where you want to be, not that your experience in the air is very nice..

1000 times this. And the finishes aren’t even that nice most of the time on the small Citations and Beechcrafts. Made worse when you’re knee to knee because every seat is full because everyone wants to live dat life.

More often than not for me it’s grocery store sushi from the Ralph’s near VNY that I finish while we hold on the taxiway for a departure window, meaning I get to sit with my trash until we get where we’re going.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
Private flights are also much more likely to crash

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
Looks like I may have a business trip again in a few weeks, Texas to Georgia (Atlanta), two states at the top of the "there's a virus?" list so aside from soaking the entire surface of my skin in 90% isopropyl alcohol and holding my breath for 4 straight days what new and exciting fuckery should I be on the lookout for? I haven't been in an airport since the beginning of March.

Going to be renting a car in ATL and getting a hotel, something I've done so often I am certain I could be accidentally lobotomized mid-flight and still find myself driving North on I-75 in rented Kia with no idea how I got there, but am now wondering what, if any, theatrics have been added to the process beyond everyone wearing a mask (badly) and constant admonishments to not touch the poop (figuratively, also literally).

Who's been on the road recently?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
here's what a guy at my company sent today:

quote:

All,

I flew from Fort Myers, FL to Detroit on Sunday via Delta. A few observations:

• On the plane nearly everyone wore masks. About 80% of people in the airports wore masks.
• Social distancing of 6 feet is uneven as at security, boarding and de-boarding as people seem to forget or get anxious.
• About half to two thirds of the seats on my flight were occupied. Empty middle seats and every other row of first class was empty.
• No catered food or drink service. You get a plastic baggie with snacks, water and disinfecting wipes.
• When I landed in Detroit I counted the departing and arriving flights on the monitors for the balance of the day. My guess is that airlines are running about 20% to 25% of pre-Covid flight capacity.
• About half of the retail and restaurants at both airports were closed.

All in all, the experience was fine. I felt as safe as it could be given the circumstance.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I've flown a couple times (early may, and last week) and it's been fine. The only annoying thing is that since there's far less flights, I've had to just plan an entire day of travel around what flights are available. An inconvenience, sure, but not the end of the world.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

here's what a guy at my company sent today:

I've flown Delta and this has been my experience. I like the snack bag better!

edit: last week, there were a lot more families, I guess summer vacations have started.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I think Delta is capping flights at 60%/70% capacity through the end of June, but beware that the other majors are not.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
So, I guess this is more of a complaint than anything else, but back in March, right before COVID hit we took a ski trip and rented a car from Sixt at Denver. When I returned it, as soon as I stopped, the agent pointed out a windshield chip and said it was damaged. Just got the bill today for $100. After googling, it seems like "Sixt windshield chip" comes up quite a bit and may be a bit of a scam they're running. Before I rented the car I took a bunch of pictures of everything, except the windshield. I guess I could have picked up a chip from the trucks off of I-70, but I have a feeling I'm getting scammed.

I booked using my CSR. Not sure if protection applies(edit: it doesn't, had to let them know within 60 days), but should I just forget about it, pay the $100, and use it as a lesson to not get scammed in the future?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If you just got the bill today, how could you have brought it up with CSR within 60 days of the rental?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That drive outta DIA was jammed with construction and I saw a ton of road debris out there but fortunately one of the vans we rented had a 12” long crack in the windshield already.

lovely policy even if it did happen while you were in possession of the vehicle.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

smackfu posted:

If you just got the bill today, how could you have brought it up with CSR within 60 days of the rental?

You have to report the damage within 60 days, not the bill.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

KillHour posted:

You have to report the damage within 60 days, not the bill.

Tell them you dropped it off and weren't told there was damage. Then you got a bill and you're contacting them now.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

asur posted:

Tell them you dropped it off and weren't told there was damage. Then you got a bill and you're contacting them now.

Too late. At least it’s only a hundred bucks for the repair/a lesson to take pictures of the windshield on all future rentals.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Looks like my company is starting travel back up in the US the week of June 19th.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Cacafuego posted:

Looks like my company is starting travel back up in the US the week of June 19th.

We have an in person SIV with Q on 17 JUN.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

quote:

Your next American flight might be full as airline will no longer block seats in name of social distancing

Like the idea of an empty middle seat when you start flying again?

Don't get used to it. American Airlines, which has been blocking half the middle seats in economy since April in the name of social distancing during the coronavirus pandemic, on Friday said it will end the practice on July 1.

"As more people continue to travel, customers may notice that flights are booked to capacity starting July 1,'' the airline said in a statement. "American will continue to notify customers and allow them to move to more open flights when available, all without incurring any cost.''

American isn't the first airline to do so. United and Spirit airlines are among the airline's already booking flights to capacity. United CEO Scott Kirby has said there's no such thing as social distancing on a plane.

Southwest, Delta and JetBlue are still blocking middle seats or restricting the number of seats for sale on each flight. Southwest has committed to doing it through Sept. 30, for example.

American spokesman Ross Feinstein said the airline's decision comes as travel is rebounding, albeit from a dismal low in April. The airline has had its busiest days since April this week. He said safety measures in place, including intensified cleaning and mandatory face masks for passengers and crew, protect customers.

"We believe it is safe to go back to our normal capacity,'' he said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/airline-news/2020/06/26/american-airlines-no-longer-block-seats-social-distancing/3262862001/

LMAO

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
also 3 AA hubs in the beating heart of COVID-19 utpick territory lmao

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I literally live in Coral Gables about 15 mins from the airport and 15 mins from Brickell/South Beach

AMA about all my dumb rear end 25-35 year old friends having yacht parties and doing brunch

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Is anyone itt traveling yet? Why does your employer hate you?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

My first site visit since March is a drive from Orlando to Jacksonville on July 9th. Work won’t let me leave this state. We also can’t travel through anywhere that is considered a hotspot, which they’ve pretty much defined as anywhere that’s not the northeast :v:

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
My major project has reached a construction milestone that will soon require a much larger onsite role for my company; we are getting support from staff closer to the site who can drive for now, but at some point I will probably have to start flying to the Midwest from SoCal.

SW is still blocking middle seats and I got a $100 ticket on July 4 to Texas for vacation so that’s going to be a thing. Yes, I realize how dumb that sounds.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Drive to client sites, no flights but we had a guy fly into corporate from our LA office.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I just got back from a meeting in Atlanta. ATL was busier than I expected it would be, though not the usual overcrowded shitshow. AUS is still a ghost town. Hub vs. non-Hub I suppose.

Delta is still treating the entire experience like everyone walking on the plane has Ebola - no one sitting next to each other, enough Purell to sanitize a strip club, masks and temperature checks, zero service other than bottled water and packaged nuts in a ziplock bag.

Other airlines don't give nearly as much a gently caress about it so...none of it really matters, right? Because Delta doing it but, for example, United not just ends in a finger wagging contest later on if poo poo goes tits up again. No one is really any safer for it.

From what I saw at ATL most people are done with the whole quarantine thing anyway so...buckle up, this ride is gonna be a while yet.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Anza Borrego posted:

I got a $100 ticket on July 4 to Texas for vacation so that’s going to be a thing. Yes, I realize how dumb that sounds.

O_o

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Anza Borrego posted:

SW is still blocking middle seats and I got a $100 ticket on July 4 to Texas for vacation so that’s going to be a thing. Yes, I realize how dumb that sounds.

It fits on a tombstone, I guess.

Officer Koala Fart
Feb 26, 2014

Gun Saliva
I’m a frequent business traveler who has been lurking this thread for ages. O’Hare is my home airport and I just returned from an ORD/LAX trip this week.

ORD was much busier than I expected. Lots of families traveling, presumably to visit grandma? This angered me because in the before times, if traveling to SoCal I would have driven down to San Diego Thursday night and spent the weekend with my parents, but since I don’t want to kill them, I flew straight home instead. Looks like nobody cares anymore. Many restaurants were closed, so the ones that were open in the B gate area (Starbucks, McD’s) were madhouses. Lots of mask variation - some full biohazard suits, many non-masked folks, and a range in between. Most popular look was mask-on-chin.

LAX was pretty empty, which made the usual rental car return and bus ride a breeze. I made it from National and around the horseshoe to T7 in less than 20 minutes. That was pretty fun.

United can go gently caress itself. When booking the flight there is a lot of “we care about you, social distancing, can’t book seats together” but upon checking in, there’s a message in red text that says “lol whoops, this flight will be fairly full. Feel free to change to a different flight but no guarantees those will be less full.” Both my flights were 100% full and the gate agent spent most of her time rearranging people so companions could sit together.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

My company says no travel for my role (technical sales) until at least January. I don’t even think most of the American offices will be open until then either.

Also,

https://twitter.com/zoeyy227/status/1276502159287365632?s=21

What position is this man even in

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Cacafuego posted:

My first site visit since March is a drive from Orlando to Jacksonville on July 9th. Work won’t let me leave this state. We also can’t travel through anywhere that is considered a hotspot, which they’ve pretty much defined as anywhere that’s not the northeast :v:

If you can't travel through hotspots, what the hell are they doing having you drive around noted hotspot Florida?

taco show posted:

Head on the aisle seat, rear end on the window seat, feet on the vents.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Space Gopher posted:

If you can't travel through hotspots, what the hell are they doing having you drive around noted hotspot Florida?

He lives in Florida so he’s already hosed.

SIVs and IMVs wait for nobody

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

taco show posted:

The position of someone who can gently caress right the hell off.

I now work remotely full time, but for those at my company who go into the office, they've said they're looking at an October return that is fungible based on current circumstances and data, and even then it's voluntary. Travel to or on behalf of clients is still restricted without fairly senior approval; to date I'm not aware of anyone that is traveling for clients but I exist in a relatively small plain compared to my other brethren in pre-sales.

I've had one trip a month ago (looking to relocate now that my wife and I both work remotely full time) and took all reasonable precautions and it was fine. Next week's trip to a remote part of Oregon for the long weekend is still on the books, but I have a bit more trepidation given that the airlines are back to being their usual dick selves about how many seats they'll sell on a flight. We'll see how it goes. :ohdear:

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
I'm grounded for at least until the end of the year. My company is allowing Sales to travel but they aren't allowed to entertain customers. And they are limited to driving only. My boss showed us the requirements upper management put into place for the rest of us and it's a pretty impressive amount of bureaucratic-fu. They are short circuiting any managers approving travel unless they basically complete a quests worth of paperwork. Any trip requires a meeting with the VP of Americas to make sure the person traveling doesn't feel pressured into going. They really don't want the rest of us traveling.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Mandalay posted:

He lives in Florida so he’s already hosed.

SIVs and IMVs wait for nobody

Pretty much! I’m not allowed to fly anywhere from here, but I can drive within Florida. It’s an emergency IMV to meet database lock on a study I’m not assigned to, so it’ll be interesting, but it was a “we need someone to do this ASAP that lives in Florida, are you available?” situation.

If you live in the northeast, you’re allowed to fly. But, you can’t transition through a hotspot, so no connecting through MIA/CLT/IAH/DFW/LAX/etc

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Officer Koala Fart posted:

Looks like nobody cares anymore. Many restaurants were closed, so the ones that were open in the B gate area (Starbucks, McD’s) were madhouses. Lots of mask variation - some full biohazard suits, many non-masked folks, and a range in between. Most popular look was mask-on-chin.

I imagine that right now there are two sets of travelers - people on unavoidable business travel or personal emergency type trips who are taking things at least kind of seriously and people who have decided it is fake and it's a great time for a cheap weekend in Vegas that give zero fucks.

Right now my company is all WFH and no travel without C level approval and have signaled that'll be at least through the end of the year. I've been in a much less travel role the past two years but this might be my first year since 2008 with no business travel at all.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I have a few site visits to do that I can drive to and maintain distance while there.

On a personal travel note though, I have to go to south Florida. In August. For an outdoor wedding. COVID + hurricane season + fat guy + oppressive heat means that the likelihood of me dying is about 95%. At least it's a direct SW flight to and from FLL, and they are still blocking off middle seats through September, so I got that going for me.

Still scheduled to go to Thailand in December (transiting through China), but I don't think that will hold up.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
You don't *have* to go.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Guy Axlerod posted:

You don't *have* to go.

Please tell my wife that. I made my case a few times and still ended up buying plane tickets yesterday.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DJCobol posted:

Please tell my wife that. I made my case a few times and still ended up buying plane tickets yesterday.

Tell your wife she is being wildly irresponsible and needs to deal with the reality of what is happening right now.

I'm going through similar at the moment - annual family vacation that her parents liked to rent a huge shore house and have all their kids/spouses and the grand kids together. It's normally chaotic and fun. Her dad died a couple years ago. Her mom is going stir crazy with quarantine. Her mom still thinks this is happening in August and I'm gonna have to be the bad guy because it doesn't look like anyone else is stepping in. I'm waiting for this to get closer so hopefully the news sinks in from watching.....the news. There is no responsible way to being together 5+ households to live together for a week right now, 8+ hours away from their homes.

Sorry. Nice meltdown.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

DJCobol posted:

Please tell my wife that.

This is a hill to die on, and that metaphor isn't even much of a joke in this situation. You don't have to go. Let her go without you and deal with being apart for 2 weeks when she gets back. I'm just a thread lurker from outside America and this is insane. This isn't a thing to discuss or make a case about - she can do whatever, you don't go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DJCobol posted:

Up to you dude but this seems like it’s worth fighting over or just not going when the day comes. Or sneak some syrup of ipecac an hour before you’re getting ready to leave and claim stomach flu if you need plausible deniability.