Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

SpeedFreek posted:

Someone wanted to switch us all to the crap travel service mentioned above and we refused to use it, we also proved that it was way more expensive than booking direct.

We actually had something in our annual training like “I found a better price directly on the airline website than Concur, can I book it directly?” The answer is always no.

(To be fair, for very large companies there are contracts involved with the airlines and such that the booking employees really don’t see the whole picture.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

smackfu posted:

We actually had something in our annual training like “I found a better price directly on the airline website than Concur, can I book it directly?” The answer is always no.

(To be fair, for very large companies there are contracts involved with the airlines and such that the booking employees really don’t see the whole picture.)

I don't think it's that common, and it's usually fairly specific, like Apples contract with UA to buy out most of business class at a fixed rate each year on the SFO-PVG route.

Those policies exist because centralizing expenses is what saves more money the larger the company gets and if you leave a loophole open like "if you see it somewhere cheaper, take it" it'll get abused.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Zaepho posted:

Agreed, but I was leaning to the 3500 for equine reasons. The 2500 however is plenty big and shockingly all the difference in parking for whatever reason.

That doesn't make a lot of sense. They're the same other than suspension/axles and available in the same bed/cab configurations.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Motronic posted:

That doesn't make a lot of sense. They're the same other than suspension/axles and available in the same bed/cab configurations.

The 2500 line has a higher top end towing capacity. Horse Trailers are heavy before you put several thousand+ pound animals in them.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Motronic posted:

On the GMT400 platform I thought the only real difference was axles, springs, and brakes when going 2500-3500. The football field like turning radius only changed a little depending on 2wd or 4wd. Also short beds are worthless if you want to use it like a truck, at least in a burban you can fit 4x8 sheets and 12ft boards with the tailgate closed. Unfortunately the burban is still too tall to get to the best parking spots in the structure at MKE which has been nice and empty most of this year.

The other thing that the crap travel service did for us was not show all the hotels leaving you a hour away from your destination in the morning and only show about half the available flights that Delta had, the one person who used it got stuck on a lot of 5am flights and had a lot of 11pm arrivals. With a smaller company you get the flexibility to make better decisions about these kinds of things, its not like my last job where to save 5k a year they were blowing through 500k+ in rework.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Zaepho posted:

The 2500 line has a higher top end towing capacity. Horse Trailers are heavy before you put several thousand+ pound animals in them.

I'm talking about the difference between a 2500 and 3500. This is the same whether that's Dodge, Chevy/GM or Ford for F250/F350.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Motronic posted:

I'm talking about the difference between a 2500 and 3500. This is the same whether that's Dodge, Chevy/GM or Ford for F250/F350.

Ahh fair enough then.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Ixian posted:

I don't think it's that common, and it's usually fairly specific, like Apples contract with UA to buy out most of business class at a fixed rate each year on the SFO-PVG route.

Those policies exist because centralizing expenses is what saves more money the larger the company gets and if you leave a loophole open like "if you see it somewhere cheaper, take it" it'll get abused.

If you're a Fortune 500, you almost certainly have a contract. We're just outside of Fortune 100 and have one with Delta and United domestically. We get whatever discounted ticket class when we purchase. Depending on the corporate miles traveled, we get a rebate at the end of the quarter/year/5 year. There are also ties to specific routes (these typically have minimum thresholds where we're penalized for not hitting them). And corporate fliers get perks as we hit thresholds (usually free exit row selection, bumped to the top of upgrade tiers, lounge access on coast to coast flights, free second checked bag or overweight bag).

So there are some conceivable scenarios where we too would buy out a flight.

This year our cost per mile is way more expensive and fliers got no perks. But we spent less than half our travel budget.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 18, 2020

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Oddly enough, the last time I flew into Richmond I was offered a diesel Ford dually. I turned it down namely because part of the route I was running included DC and there was no way in hell I was going to find parking. And because it was excessive overkill for what I needed.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Goober Peas posted:

Oddly enough, the last time I flew into Richmond I was offered a diesel Ford dually. I turned it down namely because part of the route I was running included DC and there was no way in hell I was going to find parking. And because it was excessive overkill for what I needed.

I hate that airport, the tsa lost their poo poo when they found the RTDs in my backpack. Driving anywhere in NOVA/DC area is an exercise in frustration and finding parking, also the wrong state to have them give you a Camaro SS with their speeding laws.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

SpeedFreek posted:

I hate that airport, the tsa lost their poo poo when they found the RTDs in my backpack. Driving anywhere in NOVA/DC area is an exercise in frustration and finding parking, also the wrong state to have them give you a Camaro SS with their speeding laws.

I got a camaro SS convertible at DCA for a site in MD and ended up cancelling my flight the next day because I wanted to drive it through the mountains to my next job site in uniontown, PA. I did not follow the speed limits.

Also stopped at the Udvar-Hazy air and space museum outside of Dulles on the way.

As a counterpoint to the thread title, I really miss work travel.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
My car got broken into at the gym and they stole my work laptop in my Tumi messenger bag. I was rockin this for like 2 years

but am considering swapping over to the backpack since a couple guys here have it and say its way easier. Any thoughts on backpack v messenger bag? is it like professional enough to show up in like true business (suits) or cas.... jeans, a blazer and a button down/polo or lug around conferences and bullshit? Better experience on and off flights with the backpack?

I'm also pretty wed to tumi but idk if i should go exploring

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Waroduce posted:

My car got broken into at the gym and they stole my work laptop in my Tumi messenger bag. I was rockin this for like 2 years

but am considering swapping over to the backpack since a couple guys here have it and say its way easier. Any thoughts on backpack v messenger bag? is it like professional enough to show up in like true business (suits) or cas.... jeans, a blazer and a button down/polo or lug around conferences and bullshit? Better experience on and off flights with the backpack?

I'm also pretty wed to tumi but idk if i should go exploring

I use both... day-to-day is a GR1, on travel to actual work sites / subsequent customer visits / don't have to wear a suit/jacket, that's what I do. If I have any day where I'll need to be in a suit or wear a jacket, visit vendors, early customer visits... I switch to my briefcase (Stuart & Lau) and travel lighter.

tl;dr — don't wear a backpack with a suit/jacket, jeans or not

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I agree with Movax. I have both. Never backpack with suit. I've been known to backpack with some jackets. I have a couple that the backpack actually works on.

In our post-COVID world I don't know when the next time I'll wear a suit for work will be.

I've been rocking a leather Kenneth Cole messenger bag for many years now and it still looks like new.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What's the animosity against backpacks with suits again? Is it unprofessional?

In my opinion, for all my business travels I've seen tons of folks with "business" backpacks myself included even if we're completely outnumbered by folks with fancy leather custom satchels they bought in Europe decades ago.

The practically of backpack is difficult to beat. Last but not least the Tumi Outlet in Fort Lauderdale is a absolute freaking steal. It's all of last years models or lightly used last years models but you can save hundreds. Maybe even several hundred.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Gabriel S. posted:

What's the animosity against backpacks with suits again? Is it unprofessional?

In my opinion, for all my business travels I've seen tons of folks with "business" backpacks myself included even if we're completely outnumbered by folks with fancy leather custom satchels they bought in Europe decades ago.

The practically of backpack is difficult to beat. Last but not least the Tumi Outlet in Fort Lauderdale is a absolute freaking steal. It's all of last years models or lightly used last years models but you can save hundreds. Maybe even several hundred.

Suit jackets have structured shoulders - big old 80s shoulder pads aren't a thing any more, but the material and construction are still deliberately built up. Backpack (and messenger bag) straps put pressure on the fabric there that leave the jacket looking weird. Backpacks also have a kind of casual school kid aesthetic, although that's been fading away for a long time now.

If you hold a briefcase in your hand, it avoids this problem and looks a lot better with a suit jacket. If you're not wearing a suit jacket, blazer, or anything built along those lines, backpacks look fine and work great.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Ixian posted:

I know with my company we has some sort of agreement with Amex's travel agency that makes non-refundable flights into refundable ones as long as they are put on the corporate Amex cards. Or so said Finance when they explained why they didn't care about cheaper fares.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
you look like an absolute loving buffoon if you wear a backpack with a suit jacket

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Eliminate the suit jackets my guys

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Also I legit don’t care.

Sometimes I take a backpack sometimes I take my Tom Bihn, it really depends on mood, where I’m going, how I get there, etc

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
I look like an absolute loving buffoon anyway. :smugbert:

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Glad I left consulting to try and hold a steady job. Now I can be comfortable and other people can try and impress me with their suits.

My Red Oxx bag is heavier than I want, but its drat near indestructible. I can load it up if I need to.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you look like an absolute loving buffoon if you wear a backpack with a suit jacket

I always thought that my JanSport Backpack was great for my Alienware Laptop along with Suitzy. F500 Companies love me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyIORpLIy1E

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 19, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

sellouts posted:

Eliminate the suit jackets my guys

i mean if you don't have to wear a jacket do whatever

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i mean if you don't have to wear a jacket do whatever

But also this. Backpacks still make you look like you're 12 though.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Booked my first work trip since mid-March after approval by our pandemic committee. 4 nights in New Orleans in the beginning of October.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
I went home to NYC for about 20 hours for a socially distanced funeral.

Airfare experience the last couple of days:

American OMA>ORD>LGA: the visibly sick passenger next to me in 11B had to be told to wear her mask 4 times during preflight by the flight attendant, CSR at the gate came down to remove her but relented after mild protest, letting her fly regardless. She later spent the flight being constantly told to wear her mask by same cabin crewmember. She later ordered a coke and spent the final 40 minutes of the flight maskless sipping from the can. All seats were full and there was no sincere enforcement of spacing or distancing. Deplaning as the standard mad dash for the door.

Return: LGA>MSP>OMA
Delta: Every other seat was kept open, boarding was well spaced out and cabin service was restricted to ensure that passengers were able to be comfortable without allowing too many windows for maskless consumption. F/A and gate agents only had to say "wear a mask" once and actually removed passengers who were grumbling for a chat pre-flight. 3 went for these talks, only 2 were allowed to fly.

Deplaning was orderly and smooth, and the cabin was noticeably cleaner.

In short, gently caress to American, especially with the loving 10 minute ad for their credit card on take off.

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 30, 2020

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Immanentized posted:

American OMA>ORD>LGA: the visibly sick passenger next to me in 11B had to be told to wear her mask 4 times during preflight by the flight attendant, CSR at the gate came down to remove her but relented after mild protest, letting her fly regardless. She later spent the flight being constantly told to wear her mask by same cabin crewmember. She later ordered a coke and spent the final 40 minutes of the flight maskless sipping from the can. All seats were full and there was no sincere enforcement of spacing or distancing. Deplaning as the standard mad dash for the door.

Return: LGA>MSP>OMA
Delta: Every other seat was kept open, boarding was well spaced out and cabin service was restricted to ensure that passengers were able to be comfortable without allowing too many windows for maskless consumption. F/A and gate agents only had to say "wear a mask" once and actually removed passengers who were grumbling for a chat pre-flight. 3 went for these talks, only 2 were allowed to fly.

Deplaning was orderly and smooth, and the cabin was noticeably cleaner.

In short, gently caress to American, especially with the loving 10 minute ad for their credit card on take off.

This mirrors my American experiences and those of others I know who have flown American and Delta. United seems to be somewhere in the middle, which, in a way, is maintaining the status quo.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
I've done 8 roundtrips now since March. Half of those were on Delta and if I can swing it it'll be Delta for the foreseeable future because they are far and away the best. Every flight with them has been easy and worry free.

What I do worry about is that their sensible, customer oriented policy is going to seriously hurt them given UA and AA have gone back to being seat-cramming dickheads. Wall Street doesn't reward good Samaritans.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Funny looking at pricing for travel next spring. Seems like the airlines are pretty optimistic about a vaccine being rolled out quickly.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Flights are full now, why wouldn’t they try a higher price? (I don’t agree with what they’re doing but I understand why they’re doing it)

I had to book my mom in First because I knew she’d be on the 777 from MIA to LAX and that way there’s a guarantee there’s no one around her.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

sellouts posted:

Flights are full now, why wouldn’t they try a higher price? (I don’t agree with what they’re doing but I understand why they’re doing it)

I had to book my mom in First because I knew she’d be on the 777 from MIA to LAX and that way there’s a guarantee there’s no one around her.

Are they? I could fly from Philly to Orlando for $39 bucks on American a few weeks back. I still didn't.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

According to several people in this thread, a few of my friends experiences, it seems like they’re rebounding quite a bit?

Not saying there aren’t deals to be had, Christmas flights are insanely cheap compared to normal.

Also it’s Orlando. They want anyone to get down there and get back to Disney

sellouts fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Sep 30, 2020

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Immanentized posted:

gently caress everything about that. How selfish can you possibly be

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Immanentized posted:

That sounds like a gate attendant who knew they were being furloughed in a couple days and didn't give a gently caress about their job anymore.

keevo fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 30, 2020

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

sellouts posted:

According to several people in this thread, a few of my friends experiences, it seems like they’re rebounding quite a bit?

They're just running a lot fewer flights and cramming those full. TSA numbers show travel is still way down https://www.tsa.gov/coronavirus/passenger-throughput

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Every time I drive by ATL on the interstate, I'm lucky to see one airplane landing or taking off. Most of the time none. You used to be able to see a long line of planes coming in or taking off, with just a little spacing.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Inept posted:

They're just running a lot fewer flights and cramming those full. TSA numbers show travel is still way down https://www.tsa.gov/coronavirus/passenger-throughput

So surreal to look at dates like 4/19-4/23. I'm surprised it's so high already. I wonder to what extent travel numbers will recover, and by when.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Barry posted:

gently caress everything about that. How selfish can you possibly be

Her argument was "I'm a national guard veteran and have 'ODST'". No additional detail.

I THINK she meant PTSD and not the military unit from the Halo games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Inept posted:

Fair, I meant more in terms of not having empty flights. There are fewer but your experience as a passenger will be closer to the jammed flights of pre covid.