Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I did LAX - ICN and ICN - JFK on Asiana (about 14 hours) and it sucked. I don’t know how that exit row seat managed to be so uncomfortable. Qatar is supposed to be pretty good though, right?

I’d also like to say that DL’s 767-4s are loving terrible. I’m only 5’8 and that leg space is atrocious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

I remember when they first announced it that it was a 20 minute walk.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Can someone send/post this supposed map? I’m traveling a lot this winter so I’m interested in this.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

I'm 8292 miles away from Platinum on Delta but have one flight left on a Skyteam airline this year that's 8157 miles. :negative:

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Lmao at this LAX Uber situation. All they’ve done is move the congestion from LAX to one mile outside of the airport, and then they’ve lowered prices to make up for the wait.

movax posted:

Any MQM boosts? Or pay for an upgrade to First on one of the legs and you should get it.

Well the flight is from Melbourne to LAX, first class is enticing but also sounding super expensive.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Do you guys use a VPN while you're in China? Going to be there for three days for work and need to be able to answer emails and access the internet.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

For what it's worth I don't work for a corporation or big business. I don't have super important stuff but I prefer being able to answer emails and not having my info stolen.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Filipinos will move to the Middle East to work there because they'll make more money there than they would in the Philippines. They'll make money, make sure they have enough to get by, and then send the rest of the money and presents back home. It's a whole thing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overseas_Filipino_Worker

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

VPN China update: I went with ExpressVPN but it was super spotty. Kept disconnecting every 15-40 minutes. I have no idea if it was the Chinese government kicking me off, the hotel internet just being poo poo, or if it's a normal thing with VPNs.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

How long does it take for miles on a partner airline to show up on your main airline account? Just did a couple of flights with Cathay Pacific over the last two weeks and they haven't shown up on my AA account yet.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Wooo just hit platinum on Delta!! I think I might hit gold on AA this year if they don’t gently caress it up.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Anyone here with a 2nd passport? I think I'm at the point where I'm going to need a 2nd one due to visa timing.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

How do you go about getting the 2nd passport? As far as I can tell I just fill out a renewed passport thing and attach a letter saying I need a 2nd passport? Looks like there are agencies that help you out with this but they seem pretty hit or miss.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think you can get a tourist/short term visa through eVisa for Brazil now but I had to get a Vitem V so that was a whole fuckin production, and I don't think that's on eVisa still.

I went to Brazil a couple months ago on a work visa and it was an eVisa. I had someone else take care of that for me so I don't know how much of a hassle it is to get one.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Marco Polo club?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

I have the 1510. What would you like to know about it? It fits in the overhead bin of most airlines/planes unless you're on something like the Dash 8, then you'll have to check it. Only issue I've had with it is that I have to add locks/zipties to it if I check it because it will somehow unlatch itself.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

I have a lot of poo poo in my Pelican so it's pretty heavy. A guy I work with has the Air and he says he notices the difference between the two. I originally had the 1510 with just the foam but I ended up getting the Trekpak and it's so much better. My case is so much more organized with it and it's been solid.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Lol you're probably better off getting proper carry on luggage. You'd be able to fit more stuff in there.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

I’ll take the Pelican Air off of your hands. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

I thought the same about Phoenix until I visited it. It's a lot more hipster than I thought it would be. Or maybe that was just the area I ended up checking out.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Going to the Middle East/India next week and I'm supposed to go to Bankok/Singapore in a month or two so I'm probably going to die this year.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Had my events in India cancelled yesterday. Also found out that JFK Terminal 4 still has travel sized hand sanitizer so I bought a couple.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

I'm looking at flights from Vegas to Hawaii right now. $220 round trip in April. I'm so tempted.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

United is now doing the same.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/united-extending-elite-status/

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

TheWevel posted:

I thought Frontier's MO was always to use more "underserved" airports with direct flights to larger cities?

edit: also is there a good backpack that can hold two laptops? One is a Dell 15" and the other is maybe a MBP 13".

I've been using this guy - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005LMWP78/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Same situation where there's one dedicated laptop holder but it can easily fit two laptops. Only thing is that it's really loving big so be weary of that if you're traveling in Europe or having to put it under the seat of an American Airlines plane. I wouldn't mind a smaller version of this.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

I had to use a rental a couple weeks ago. They said that everyone is driving instead of flying now so they were really thin on cars available.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Immanentized posted:

I went home to NYC for about 20 hours for a socially distanced funeral.

Airfare experience the last couple of days:

American OMA>ORD>LGA: the visibly sick passenger next to me in 11B had to be told to wear her mask 4 times during preflight by the flight attendant, CSR at the gate came down to remove her but relented after mild protest, letting her fly regardless. She later spent the flight being constantly told to wear her mask by same cabin crewmember. She later ordered a coke and spent the final 40 minutes of the flight maskless sipping from the can. All seats were full and there was no sincere enforcement of spacing or distancing. Deplaning as the standard mad dash for the door.

That sounds like a gate attendant who knew they were being furloughed in a couple days and didn't give a gently caress about their job anymore.

keevo fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 30, 2020

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

It is very weird to fly through Hong Kong nowadays. It's very empty and they're doing a lot of renovations.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

AA denied my miles from a recent trip to Taiwan on Cathay. :negative:

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Do you guys have any recommendations for backpacks? Looking for something that can hold two laptops, some dongles and cables for the laptops, Nintendo Switch, and it'd be cool if I could fit a camera insert (mirrorless DSLR and two small lens) but it's definitely not a requirement. Saw a lot of recommendations for Peak Design's Everyday backpack but I'm not a fan of the main compartment. The Tom Bihn backpacks look interesting but I'm open to more suggestions.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Thanks guys I'll check that one out. I'm guessing you guys went with the Authority backpack?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Does anyone here have 2 US passports? I need to renew my main passport. Do I need to do anything special when I renew it such as explaining that I have two passports or do I just treat it as a regular passport renewal. The passport agency gave me a weird answer saying that I need to use the form applying for a new passport and that answer makes no sense to me.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

So my status is about to expire with AA and they've send me an offer to retain status for 40k miles. Kinda tempted to take it since I never use my award miles even though it's a dumb idea.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

I like my TravelPro carry on. https://travelpro.com/collections/carry-on-luggage/products/platinum%C2%AE-elite-21-expandable-carry-on-spinner

My only complaint is that the pull tab on the zippers weren't very durable when I had to check the bag. Some of them ripped off but they sent me replacements for free.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

I know I probably agreed to it at some point, but it weirded me out the first time I flew Delta and they scanned my biometrics instead of my ticket.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

I've had two different airlines in Europe lose my checked bag twice. I've managed to get them back after a couple of days but another person I'm traveling with hasn't gotten his back after the first time (nearly two weeks ago).

Airtag everything

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

I think Air Canada might be the first airline that I actually hate.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Can you not get miles on MileagePlus from Air Canada Rogue?? Took a flight operating as Air Canada on Air Canada Rogue and a United rep I can't get the miles from that because they're just a partner, not actually apart of Star Alliance.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

This Southwest meltdown is nuts. Looks like they're gonna park the entire fleet tomorrow and an operational reset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

i fly airplanes posted:

It's Southwest not having real software to do crew scheduling, their ridiculous point-to-point network and rostering, and their intentional lack of airline partnerships.

Weather disruptions are normal, but Southwest can't recover because like I previously mentioned, they consider themselves a snowflake.

They still can't even fly any redeye flights because their software doesn't allow it. There's not a single Southwest redeye because of this. The airline is absolutely insane and I truly don't understand their following.

They built up so much goodwill and have been riding off of that since. I didn't realize how bad they've gotten until today.